• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

lostinwoe

lostinwoe

forever ennui
Mar 1, 2024
This is not at all a substitute for seeing a professional about this, but this can give you a good idea. Aspie_quiz We hate the name of the site, but find this to be the best by far of the ones floating around. The others are not nearly as thorough and well done. You also don't need to make an account. You can go right to the quiz.
We are professionally diagnosed and just retook this and scored 167/200... Anyone that knows what to look for notices something is really off with us very quickly if we can't mask exceptionally well in that moment. Even people that don't know what to look for notice we are very atypical.

At the least, it can give you an indicator. If you score fairly high, it may very well be worth seeking a professional diagnosis if you can. Even if you score low, it may be worth it. The diagnosis process using the DSM-V will also cover a lot of other stuff. If you go that route, be honest about everything except thoughts of CTB'ing...
i took this test bc i relate with the op a lot i havent been diagnosed for any mental illnesses(that i know of) but ive assummed ive had severe social anxity adhd and ocd super bad to the point that i dropped out of highschool

but anyways i took the test and it said 99% probability of being atypical (autistic/neurodiverse) does this mean i have autism?

Reactions: sserafim
_Broken_alice

_Broken_alice

She/Her
Nov 19, 2023
i took this test bc i relate with the op a lot i havent been diagnosed for any mental illnesses(that i know of) but ive assummed ive had severe social anxity adhd and ocd super bad to the point that i dropped out of highschool

but anyways i took the test and it said 99% probability of being atypical (autistic/neurodiverse) does this mean i have autism?
It is quite likely. Not a substitute for a real diagnosis, but a lot of the traits tell enough. Our diagnosis which was done to DSM-V criteria asked very similar questions as that quiz did although with a lot more added as that one is intended to be much more thorough. (a few hundred questions for just the portion we did.)
That linked quiz also covers a few other things that tend to be co-morbid with autism or similar in ways. One of the pages explains it.

26mmmm

Experienced
Feb 12, 2024
It is quite likely. Not a substitute for a real diagnosis, but a lot of the traits tell enough. Our diagnosis which was done to DSM-V criteria asked very similar questions as that quiz did although with a lot more added as that one is intended to be much more thorough. (a few hundred questions for just the portion we did.)
That linked quiz also covers a few other things that tend to be co-morbid with autism or similar in ways. One of the pages explains it.
Im starting to think I might have AvPD, all the symptoms check out.
I do still display some autistic traits which makes me feel like I might have both, such as having hypermobility, a resting bitch face and having barely any facial expressions or body language, but I dont have some common autistic traits like not understanding facial cues, taking people too literally etc.
Is it possible to be autistic without displaying any of these traits?

dragonofenvy

dragonofenvy

Mage
Oct 8, 2023
So what would having a diagnosis do for you exactly? I have one and it's not done anything other than add to insecurity and self-hatred, and I've had it since age 2. If you're hoping you can get some kind of government benefit you'll have to prove that it is in fact significantly impeding your life - mainly the ability to hold a job, that's the part that they care about. If you're hoping for treatment, it can't be treated in of itself but the difficulties it causes can. If it's solely for self-understanding, well I'll just say that some things are best left in the dark.

I'm also going to be that guy who's gonna disagree with every single person here suggesting online tests. No. If you already suspect it you have to go to a professional that can give you a diagnosis. The tests mean absolutely nothing other than to give you more direction to go to the professional. I've scored below thresholds on some and at thresholds on others. Autism's gonna be extremely different in each person, hence why it's a spectrum disorder.

I for example used to have a major milk addiction. I had heroin withdrawal levels of symptoms when I was taken off of it. Is that autism-related? Who knows! I know that autistic people's brains are 10-20% larger than the general population's and often are picky eaters, so why not have this considered a symtpom too? I do, but there's no research evidence of it. There are a lot of symptoms you can point to and say "that's an autistic trait." Some of which are common, others not like mine. All you're doing is creating more doubt in yourself.

So I ask again, what's the diagnosis going to do for you? Does having the label benefit you in some way? If there is a benefit, then you're unfortunately going to have to navigate the health field rather than self-diagnosing. They will know if it's something else, like AvPD as you mentioned. If there's no reason for it, then having a label is probably just going to make you feel down, but that's me projecting so.

Good luck and sorry for the text wall.

S

spinningship

Student
Dec 20, 2022
So what would having a diagnosis do for you exactly? I have one and it's not done anything other than add to insecurity and self-hatred, and I've had it since age 2. If you're hoping you can get some kind of government benefit you'll have to prove that it is in fact significantly impeding your life - mainly the ability to hold a job, that's the part that they care about. If you're hoping for treatment, it can't be treated in of itself but the difficulties it causes can. If it's solely for self-understanding, well I'll just say that some things are best left in the dark.

I'm also going to be that guy who's gonna disagree with every single person here suggesting online tests. No. If you already suspect it you have to go to a professional that can give you a diagnosis. The tests mean absolutely nothing other than to give you more direction to go to the professional. I've scored below thresholds on some and at thresholds on others. Autism's gonna be extremely different in each person, hence why it's a spectrum disorder.

I for example used to have a major milk addiction. I had heroin withdrawal levels of symptoms when I was taken off of it. Is that autism-related? Who knows! I know that autistic people's brains are 10-20% larger than the general population's and often are picky eaters, so why not have this considered a symtpom too? I do, but there's no research evidence of it. There are a lot of symptoms you can point to and say "that's an autistic trait." Some of which are common, others not like mine. All you're doing is creating more doubt in yourself.

So I ask again, what's the diagnosis going to do for you? Does having the label benefit you in some way? If there is a benefit, then you're unfortunately going to have to navigate the health field rather than self-diagnosing. They will know if it's something else, like AvPD as you mentioned. If there's no reason for it, then having a label is probably just going to make you feel down, but that's me projecting so.

It's interesting, I often see this sentiment from people who were diagnosed young like you were. Whereas the people I speak to who got diagnosed when they were older tend to feel more positive about having got a diagnosis. My guess is if you're older when diagnosed you tend to just feel relieved you aren't broken as a human, whereas labeling someone when they are young can make them feel even more different from everyone else around them.

Agree on the professional diagnosis point. You can do as many online tests as you want but it's never going to settle things.

• Informative
Reactions: dragonofenvy
dragonofenvy

dragonofenvy

Mage
Oct 8, 2023
My guess is if you're older when diagnosed you tend to just feel relieved you aren't broken as a human, whereas labeling someone when they are young can make them feel even more different from everyone else around them.
Nailed it.

F

frogbpd

Sep 20, 2023
I'm not doctor (ofc) but I'm on the autistic spectrum and a lot of what you have described I resonate with and experience too. Doesn't nessarily mean that you are autistic, but it wouldn't hurt ti speak to your doctor about it or a mental health professional if a diagnosis is what you're looking for. But honestly I believe thag everyone is on the spectrum at least a little bit. Who wants to be neuortypical anyway? Not me lol. I feel a deeper understanding on world and and see tings different ti others, and in ny opinion see the real world. Which I think a lot of neurological people just do not get. No hate towards them, we're just different m, but inthink I'm happier being autistic than I would he if I wasn't. (Ironoic I know seen as I'm utterly miserable)

26mmmm

Experienced
Feb 12, 2024

An autism diagnosis would bring me clarity in understanding why my life has been such a mess and why I am the way I am and will definitely make me care less about what others think when deciding certain things about my life, since the lift I want is very different than the normal path.
It'd help me immensely in reaching my life goals and being happy.

But like I said I think I might not be autistic since I dont really have some traits like not understand social cues, which I think is like one of the major traits? I know everyone on the autism spectrum has different traits in different levels but from what I understand this is a major one.
And also I dont think I displayed most of the traits im finding about myself in childhood.

Last edited:
S

spinningship

Student
Dec 20, 2022
An autism diagnosis would bring me clarity in understanding why my life has been such a mess and why I am the way I am and will definitely make me care less about what others think when deciding certain things about my life, since the lift I want is very different than the normal path.

But like I said I think I might not be autistic since I dont really have some traits like not understand social cues, which I think is like one of the major traits? I know everyone on the autism spectrum has different traits in different levels but from what I understand this is a major one.
And also I dont think I displayed most of the traits im finding about myself in childhood.
No one here can assess your ability to read social cues. Though often autists can learn to read social cues over time, to the point where they can blend in relatively well with other people.

26mmmm

Experienced
Feb 12, 2024
No one here can assess your ability to read social cues. Though often autists can learn to read social cues over time, to the point where they can blend in relatively well with other people.
If thats the case I would probably be aware of it. Do you think its possible to be on the spectrum while naturally understanding social cues and stuff?

I just relate more to the AvPD traits:
Im isolated but due to fear of socializing, compared to sensory issues.
I want social interactions, compared to some autistic people who might prefer to be alone.

S

spinningship

Student
Dec 20, 2022
If thats the case I would probably be aware of it. Do you think its possible to be on the spectrum while naturally understanding social cues and stuff?

I just relate more to the AvPD traits:
Im isolated but due to fear of socializing, compared to sensory issues.
I want social interactions, compared to some autistic people who might prefer to be alone.
A lot of autistic people want to socialize with other people. You have the same range of extroverts vs introverts in autists.

Again you're not going to know without getting objectively assessed.

Reactions: 26mmmm
Valky

Valky

Petulant Child
Apr 4, 2023
If you want to get a more accurate assessment for autism, I wouldn't go to a psychiatrist. Most psychiatrists don't know much about autism and a lot of them have very outdated and stereotypical ideas about it. The best person to diagnosed autism is a neuropsychologist who is trained in the ADOS-2. If you don't know where to find one, I would start by looking for a therapist or psychologist and asking for a referral.

Hand flapping is only one type of stim and not everyone does it. Rocking back and forth is a common one. My biggest stim is pacing. (I can't talk on the phone without doing this.) It's hard to distinguish autism from social anxiety, but if you have issues with making eye contact, interpreting social cues, reading other people's (or your own) emotions, obsessive interests, difficulty coping with unexpected changes, executive functioning issues, etc you most likely have autism.

It also sounds like you're describing hypermobility spectrum/connective tissue disorder (maybe Ehlers Danlos) and maybe some dyspraxia. Both of them frequently co-occur with autism. Connective tissue disorders would be diagnosed by an MD/DO but they can be very difficult to diagnose. If you have issues with joint pain, joints that easily dislocate, wound healing problems, GI issues, cardiac issues like POTS, very stretchy skin in addition to the hypermobile joints you described, it would be worth asking your primary care doctor for a referral to have this evaluated.

Keep in mind that the diagnostic process for both of these things can be expensive and difficult to access. (Appointments often have long waiting times and sometimes you have to travel long distances.) It's worth it if your symptoms are significantly interfering with your life, but you may not end up getting the answer you expect.
Thank you for this info!!!

dragonofenvy

dragonofenvy

Mage
Oct 8, 2023
Yes. I can understand most of them, I think.
Nah, we want friends too, at least most of us. Many prefer to be alone due to life experiences teaching them that trying to open up to others is a bad idea. It's a bit of a stereotype, just like how introverts are "antisocial" (they're not, they're just more comfortable with being alone than extraverted people) and don't like people (they like certain people and want to be close to those people rather than acquainted with a lot of people).

Fair enough. In which case, try to find a neurologist. You might have to travel kind of far and the wait list could be a long time so you'll need to have some patience. I couldn't tell you how to find one since the last time I saw one was 2 years ago because the government said I had to see them and that specific one since I was getting a social worker from the government.

26mmmm

Experienced
Feb 12, 2024
Yes. I can understand most of them, I think.
And would you say you understand them because they come naturally to you or because you "studied them" or something similar?
Nah, we want friends too, at least most of us. Many prefer to be alone due to life experiences teaching them that trying to open up to others is a bad idea. It's a bit of a stereotype, just like how introverts are "antisocial" (they're not, they're just more comfortable with being alone than extraverted people) and don't like people (they like certain people and want to be close to those people rather than acquainted with a lot of people).
Yeah I get it. I prefer to be alone but I dont want to prefer to be alone if that makes sense.
Fair enough. In which case, try to find a neurologist. You might have to travel kind of far and the wait list could be a long time so you'll need to have some patience. I couldn't tell you how to find one since the last time I saw one was 2 years ago because the government said I had to see them and that specific one since I was getting a social worker from the government.
Thanks. I get your point about being diagnosed as a kid tho. I agree with what the other person commented about being labeled as a kid compared to an adult .

dragonofenvy

dragonofenvy

Mage
Oct 8, 2023
And would you say you understand them because they come naturally to you or because you "studied them" or something similar?
Understanding social cues has never been natural. From a random psych blog I found: "It may appear that social skills are an innate skill. However, these skills are learned from birth and, are learned from others." That's why parents are supposed to make funny faces at their kids and talk and play with them and why going to school and making friends is important for kids. Children who are isolated at a young age have really bad social skills because they never learned them. If they don't have the experience they'll never know. I learned it through practice and observation because I was one of those kids who was isolated throughout their childhood so I had to catch up. Now, conversational skills are a completely different thing which I lack entirely.

Reactions: 26mmmm

26mmmm

Experienced
Feb 12, 2024
Understanding social cues has never been natural. From a random psych blog I found: "It may appear that social skills are an innate skill. However, these skills are learned from birth and, are learned from others." That's why parents are supposed to make funny faces at their kids and talk and play with them and why going to school and making friends is important for kids. Children who are isolated at a young age have really bad social skills because they never learned them. If they don't have the experience they'll never know. I learned it through practice and observation because I was one of those kids who was isolated throughout their childhood so I had to catch up. Now, conversational skills are a completely different thing which I lack entirely.
Got it. So I wont dismiss autism yet.
Thanks.

• Love
Reactions: dragonofenvy