• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

E

EmptySteph62

Student
Aug 4, 2019
I'm a student of veterinary Technology medicine currently and lately my program has been triggering my anxiety and panic disorder to a point where I am too stressed out to attend classes.
I'm especially stressed out about my surgery lab and the idea that if I'm not able to focus clearly enough a patient could die because of me.
I haven't been sleeping or eating properly for weeks now and I was in the hospital for suicidal planning and ideation for several days just over a week ago.
I've been given the option to take a reduced course load but take an extra year of school in order to try and help with the anxiety but I'm having mixed feelings about it. I feel like if I cant handle the stress now I wont be able to handle it in practice when I graduate and maybe this isn't for me.
On the other hand I've worked my whole life to get here and I promised myself I would graduate from this program before ctbing just as a last ditch effort at a better life. I really just want to be done this program and out of this environment and the idea of taking an extra year here makes me want to ctb even more. But if it will reduce my stress now maybe it's worth it?
I'm just so lost and stuck and I have no idea where to go from here, any advice or input is appreciated.

Beautifulletdown

Beautifulletdown

Brightburn
Jul 6, 2019
Hi there,

I'm sorry for what you've been going through. I know this isn't an easy decision at all. I would imagine having the very program you want to do trigger your anxiety and panic disorder can't make you feel good. The key is to set yourself up to win and give yourself the greatest chance for success, if that means adding another year than I say go for it. If your panic disorder and anxiety continue to be triggered it won't allow you to do the work at all. Somehow you have to get that under control as best you can. You've worked so hard to get where you are with school and deserve to finish. I hope this helped a bit. If you want to talk more feel free to reach out. Take care.

• Hugs
Reactions: EmptySteph62
E

EmptySteph62

Student
Aug 4, 2019
Hi there,

I'm sorry for what you've been going through. I know this isn't an easy decision at all. I would imagine having the very program you want to do trigger your anxiety and panic disorder can't make you feel good. The key is to set yourself up to win and give yourself the greatest chance for success, if that means adding another year than I say go for it. If your panic disorder and anxiety continue to be triggered it won't allow you to do the work at all. Somehow you have to get that under control as best you can. You've worked so hard to get where you are with school and deserve to finish. I hope this helped a bit. If you want to talk more feel free to reach out. Take care.
Thank you, I have a meeting tmr with a course counselor to discuss it and I'm leaning towards taking the extra year. I really dont want to but at this point I guess I'm going to fail anyway and have to take that extra year regardless
Thanks for the kind words, it means a lot :heart:

• Hugs
Reactions: Beautifulletdown
L

lofistos345

Experienced
Oct 6, 2019
Add some exercises to your daily life and breathing practice. Understand that is normal to be stressed, you are learning something new. Embrace the stress and find ways to calm yourself. Find out why are you getting stressed.

Sweet emotion

Sweet emotion

Enlightened
Sep 14, 2019
I'm a student of veterinary Technology medicine currently and lately my program has been triggering my anxiety and panic disorder to a point where I am too stressed out to attend classes.
I'm especially stressed out about my surgery lab and the idea that if I'm not able to focus clearly enough a patient could die because of me.
I haven't been sleeping or eating properly for weeks now and I was in the hospital for suicidal planning and ideation for several days just over a week ago.
I've been given the option to take a reduced course load but take an extra year of school in order to try and help with the anxiety but I'm having mixed feelings about it. I feel like if I cant handle the stress now I wont be able to handle it in practice when I graduate and maybe this isn't for me.
On the other hand I've worked my whole life to get here and I promised myself I would graduate from this program before ctbing just as a last ditch effort at a better life. I really just want to be done this program and out of this environment and the idea of taking an extra year here makes me want to ctb even more. But if it will reduce my stress now maybe it's worth it?
I'm just so lost and stuck and I have no idea where to go from here, any advice or input is appreciated.
What if you went to see both a therapist and shrink? You could talk about it with them. Of course we are here to listen to you but if anyone knew how to heal themselves we wouldn't be here. I wish you the best of luck. I love animals and I admire what you're doing.

• Love
P

pole

Global Mod
Sep 18, 2018
Hey, think i've already mentioned this with you, but i'm in uni, attempting to go to law school and feel the same. Grades to start off the year haven't been the best, got diagnosed for ADD and prescribed vyvanse to help but it seems to make me extremely anxious and triggers my anxiety. But i'm thinking of taking an extra year to repeat courses maybe in improving my GPA and managing my courseload.

Point is, you honestly should take another year. There's absolutely no harm in it. Everyone has their time, does things at their own pace. Do things at you're own pace, to get to where you want to be. I'd suggest even potentially taking summer courses for you're reduced courseload for next year, take one or two in the summer, so you wont have as much to deal with next year. And, it'll serve as a distraction in the summer, for you to be out and about and studying instead of being alone and dwelling on the negatives. 100 percent take that extra year.

Also, reach out and talk to you're TAs, profs and school counselors. mine helped me a ton, and have been at times extremely helpful in guiding me and directing me whenever i feel lost (which i do alot of the time with school) and getting reassurances from others that everythings gonna be fine, and i guess a fresh face to talk to and make you feel comfortable in making the proper decisions. Hope it works out for you.

• Hugs
S

Santiago

Mage
Mar 25, 2018
Also in my final year in law school and also been struggling with anxiety. Especially when having to talk in front of court or doing a case presentation.

My depression and overall state of mind have also caused me many problems throughout this period. Like missing many classes and just hating life in general. (There is this constant pressure that never leaves you. Every student can relate to that.)

If you have to take an extra year then do that. There is no shame in doing so and it will help you out in the long run. Good luck.

• Love
E

EmptySteph62

Student
Aug 4, 2019
Thanks everyone for your kind words. I ended up dropping some courses and was doing much better for a while. After that though things went downhill fast and I ended up having to take a medical leave from school altogether. When I return though I've decided to continue taking a reduced course load.