• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

terra.nuvo

terra.nuvo

Feb 15, 2024
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this but I feel like I need some help on the subject and this is a part of my possible recovery. So for some context, I have not been able to keep a job for longer than 2 months within the past 2 years. I don't know why but eventually I get too bored or too frustrated to continue so much so that I haven't been able to bring myself to maintain a job. I know that constantly leaving jobs isn't sustainable for my future self and I want to be able to keep working and not burn bridges with past employers. In addition to not being able to keep a job, I quit school right at the finish line with only 2 classes left and haven't been able to bring myself to complete it. I just feel like such a failure and that feeling seeps into every aspect of my life. I feel like it's one of the reasons I haven't been able to keep a job honestly. That coupled with a lack of confidence in my abilities.

Recently, I got a job that I am both really excited and nervous for. It's an apprenticeship program that is supposed to last for 4 years where I'll work and go to school at the same time. With my track record I'm really nervous that I won't have the willpower to continue going on for that long but I really want to prove myself wrong. This job could really set me up for life. It's really important to me that I complete school this time and continue on with the job.

I say all this to say: do y'all have any advice on how to keep going with a job? And please don't say just to suck it up cause while it may be true, I need some real tips to get me through.

I appreciate any help y'all can give me!

dragonofenvy

dragonofenvy

Mage
Oct 8, 2023
I'm going through the same thing with a job coming up next week but I just wanted to reply since nobody else did so far. It might help to think of something outside of work that will make it worth it, which is what I really need to do but can't yet. Maybe there's something you need the money to buy, or maybe your job is a stepping stone to build up your resume so hopefully in the future you can get something better. It sounds like your apprenticeship is like that. Try to also find something you can consistently do as a way to get yourself something to look forward to, be it a reward for yourself by eating some nice treat or doing a hobby or activity. Idk it's really hard but I'm glad to know that I'm not alone in it. I hope you figure something out and if you do share your tips with me.

Untimely

Untimely

Student
Apr 21, 2023
I'm going through the same thing with a job coming up next week but I just wanted to reply since nobody else did so far. It might help to think of something outside of work that will make it worth it, which is what I really need to do but can't yet. Maybe there's something you need the money to buy, or maybe your job is a stepping stone to build up your resume so hopefully in the future you can get something better. It sounds like your apprenticeship is like that. Try to also find something you can consistently do as a way to get yourself something to look forward to, be it a reward for yourself by eating some nice treat or doing a hobby or activity. Idk it's really hard but I'm glad to know that I'm not alone in it. I hope you figure something out and if you do share your tips with me.
Going off of this, I was going to say that finding some cool coworkers is key for me. When you click with a coworker or two and you can make jokes and things it does help to make the job more bearable.

Ociv

Ociv

Older On The Inside
Mar 29, 2024
I've struggled with the same thing all my adult life. Two time college dropout and I've had 7 jobs in 3 years. I just started one a month ago that is the best job I've ever had and every logical part of me screams to not screw this up, but I feel certain deep down that the apathy will set in eventually and I will give up like I always do.

I haven't found my answer yet, but I feel like if it did exist, it would be in the form of a purpose for working. Currently I feel depressed waking up for work because I am doing it for no reason other than to survive. I think if I can find a reason to need to work, it would give me the motivation I need. The only thing ive ever had like this was my last girlfriend. I chose to suffer through work to help take care of her. She cheated and we broke up in the end, so i find myself searching again. Such a thing is tantamount to finding a reason to live, so it's definitely no easy task, but know you're not alone in this search.

Reactions: terra.nuvo