• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

soulkitty

soulkitty

Just a shell of who I once was.
Apr 6, 2024
Hello~ I haven't been professionally diagnosed with BPD but every time I research it, I can relate very deeply to the symptoms and it's eery how similar it is to me. Also a psychiatrist I've gone to before suspects I may have it. So I figured maybe using the coping skills associated with BPD might help me, even though Its not confirmed I have it. If you know of any coping skills or useful tips for living with BPD please feel free to reply <3 maybe it could also help others who have it/may have it ❀☆。o○♡

Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you
Jul 1, 2020
have you read about DBT? it was made for bpd by someone with bpd, typically a good place to start.

me personally i take it problem by problem, seeing what i need and trying different 'techniques' (therapy work)

• Hugs
Reactions: Ash and soulkitty
B

biasedregret

Feb 23, 2024
BPD actually has a really good prognosis - and DBT is helpful even if you don't have a PD.

ACT (acceptance commitment therapy) is also a newish modality that's based on Stoicism and is good for emotional dysregulation.

Also definitely don't rule out pharmacotherapy for the anxiety / panic attacks if you're getting those comorbidly.

Ash

Ash

Wizard
Oct 4, 2021
Came here to say what's already been said.

I'm not much of an example at the moment (in permanent "crisis mode" so nothing works") but I learnt so much about myself and how and why I think and feel from doing DBT.

Also recommend the "Decider Skills". AFAIK, they're based on DBT and some other models but are slightly more accessible, especially if you don't have any prior experience of therapies.

• Love
Reactions: soulkitty
4_science

4_science

Apr 12, 2024
Many people with BP benefit from DBT. >Remember a iagnosis oes not define you as a person. Everyone is different. Try not to stress yourself. In your own time. :) Seek help (therapy) when you feel ready for it. Find a therapist you feel safe with. Self help groups are available as well, but they don´t work for everyone. If you feel like medication might be beneficial, talk to your pychiatrist about it (Lithium is still in use).

• Hugs
Reactions: soulkitty
soulkitty

soulkitty

Just a shell of who I once was.
Apr 6, 2024
Many people with BP benefit from DBT. >Remember a iagnosis oes not define you as a person. Everyone is different. Try not to stress yourself. In your own time. :) Seek help (therapy) when you feel ready for it. Find a therapist you feel safe with. Self help groups are available as well, but they don´t work for everyone. If you feel like medication might be beneficial, talk to your pychiatrist about it (Lithium is still in use).
❤️ Thank you so much for this response ❤️ I completely agree everyone is different, I'll try not to let a diagnosis when I get one define me as a person. I'm about to start mood stabilizers and antipsychotics that my psychiatrist prescribed me so I hope that helps

B

bipbapbop

Experienced
Mar 7, 2024
I have CPTSD which has a lot of overlap with BPD and I found IFS (internal family systems) to be a fantastic modality for recovery. I made progress very quickly and I felt very good while I was doing it.

Whatever modality you end up going with, I think it's most important to find a trauma informed therapist who is able to help you. A lot of people jump into therapy but I did 7 consultations before deciding on one and he was honestly the perfect therapist for me.

Fish_Princess

Fish_Princess

Fish out of water
Apr 5, 2023
I have CPTSD which has a lot of overlap with BPD and I found IFS (internal family systems) to be a fantastic modality for recovery. I made progress very quickly and I felt very good while I was doing it.

Whatever modality you end up going with, I think it's most important to find a trauma informed therapist who is able to help you. A lot of people jump into therapy but I did 7 consultations before deciding on one and he was honestly the perfect therapist for me.
@bipbapbop I was just curious how consultations worked

I tried a couple different therapists as a kid but I would just end up not going because I couldn't open up to them or what they were saying didn't help.

Are consultations different then just a first session?

B

bipbapbop

Experienced
Mar 7, 2024
@bipbapbop I was just curious how consultations worked

I tried a couple different therapists as a kid but I would just end up not going because I couldn't open up to them or what they were saying didn't help.

Are consultations different then just a first session?
Yup! Consultations are usually free and last about 15 minutes. The way I did them was to just tell them why I was looking for a therapist (I had just experienced a traumatic event) and see how they respond. Usually they'll ask some questions about what your goals are and you can ask them questions as well like what techniques they use or what to expect. A huge part of it for me is just having a conversation with a person and seeing if I feel comfortable with them and if I could trust them.

Also, my general advice for people in therapy is to not lie no matter how badly you want to. You can just not tell them something if you're worried about it, but lying is a bad idea if you're really looking to get help. For example, during my last session with my therapist, I didn't lie about feeling suicidal but when he asked me if I had a plan I just didnt respond. This only works if you've built a lot of trust with them and you have found a therapist that works for you.

Tldr; a consultation is like therapist speed dating

• Love
Reactions: Fish_Princess
Fish_Princess

Fish_Princess

Fish out of water
Apr 5, 2023
Yup! Consultations are usually free and last about 15 minutes. The way I did them was to just tell them why I was looking for a therapist (I had just experienced a traumatic event) and see how they respond. Usually they'll ask some questions about what your goals are and you can ask them questions as well like what techniques they use or what to expect. A huge part of it for me is just having a conversation with a person and seeing if I feel comfortable with them and if I could trust them.

Also, my general advice for people in therapy is to not lie no matter how badly you want to. You can just not tell them something if you're worried about it, but lying is a bad idea if you're really looking to get help. For example, during my last session with my therapist, I didn't lie about feeling suicidal but when he asked me if I had a plan I just didnt respond. This only works if you've built a lot of trust with them and you have found a therapist that works for you.

Tldr; a consultation is like therapist speed dating
I had no idea this was an option. Thank you for letting me know more about it tho, its something I will definitely keep in mind because growing up I was just paired with a therapist.

And yeah I know what you mean about lying. The first therapist when i was a kid i had i lied to. She never really talked back to me though, just wrote stuff down and there was a lot of silence.
Finding someone im comfortable talking to is important which I think is were I struggled in the past

Reactions: bipbapbop
B

bipbapbop

Experienced
Mar 7, 2024
I had no idea this was an option. Thank you for letting me know more about it tho, its something I will definitely keep in mind because growing up I was just paired with a therapist.

And yeah I know what you mean about lying. The first therapist when i was a kid i had i lied to. She never really talked back to me though, just wrote stuff down and there was a lot of silence.
Finding someone im comfortable talking to is important which I think is were I struggled in the past
I hope you find someone you like! I really loved my therapist and he was amazing for me. He felt like a friend who was so understanding and gave good advice. Don't settle if you don't like the first few people, your perfect therapist is out there! :)

• Love
Reactions: Fish_Princess