• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

LunarCharm

LunarCharm

I’m ready to go
Jul 2, 2023
I am very aware that nonessential material items are unimportant.
And yet I keep spending my money. :ahhha:

for context I "collect" things.
I collect anime figures (which in and of itself is a luxury hobby; collecting pretty plastic), I collect Liz Lisa (a j-fashion brand) clothing, plushies, etc.

my room is just a little bigger than the size of a closet (because it's not even a room..) so it doesnt take much to make my room look full, and honestly I'm happy with that.
I enjoy pink things, I enjoy anime (although I haven't watched anything new in 3 years), I enjoy fashion
but at the end of the day it's all pointless, I guess.

I personally think that my compulsion to collect (a hoarders mindset almost) stems from my lack of control on my life. Money is something I can control if I keep a stable job. My decor is something I can control. Etc.

I'm not really sure where I was going with this, but it's unrelated to other things so I'm putting it in off topic haha.

I like to think I'm not alone in this habit, but my family makes a point to shame me for it and my few friends aren't anywhere like this, so it really feels like a struggle I have to deal with on my own.

Malaria

Malaria

If I can't be my own, I'd feel better dead
Feb 24, 2024
I collect anime figures as well. And other items too. I find these things comforting.

• Love
Reactions: LunarCharm
ClaudeCTTE

ClaudeCTTE

Misunderstood...
Aug 22, 2023
Hmm, I'm someone who detests consumerism and usually don't buy things compulsively because I have to save my money for my medications and my appointments with my therapist and psychiatrist, but honestly, I feel like if I had more money, I would have the habit of spending it impulsively. If I had more money, I'd probably spend it on anime figures, vinyl records from my favorite bands, or musical instruments, mostly the latter two because I'd love to collect things related to my favorite music.

If we're talking about my hatred for consumerism, it's more directed towards food, fast fashion, and advertisements, as I feel capitalism is excessively exploited to the point where I don't see the point of producing things that don't contribute anything to the world. I had the experience of working in a factory for a particular fruit, and it seemed too sickening to see how four different products were made from one product. For example, "standard selection," "premium selection," "organic product," and "product for children."

But well, nothing really adds anything to life itself, and everyone chooses what to do with their money.

Agon321

Agon321

I use google translate
Aug 21, 2023
I do not see a problem :).

We are shaved monkeys and we like trinkets ;).
If buying these things makes you happy and makes you feel better, I don't see a problem.
Life is also much better in nice surroundings.

When I was younger, for example, I collected cards with football players.
I spent relatively a lot of money :).
I also bought football newspapers.
Various gadgets were added to them.
Currently, I don't collect anything... maybe mental illnesses ;) half jokingly, half seriously.

Do not worry.
Just don't spend absolutely all your money.
Sometimes it's also worth buying food :)

ColorlessTrees

ColorlessTrees

Stuck
Jan 4, 2022
As long as you're getting by, that is, able to support your basic needs, I don't see a problem. If it makes your existence slightly less miserable, even, go for it (it does for me); I collect fashion dolls, which in the same vein, are just luxury items, pretty pieces of plastic. People can try to shame you, but if it's a net positive, then you should do what you damn please.

Everyone is a part of consumerism. In this society, no one is exempt. Would you rather be a pointless chaser after brands and social status, the latest trend to be tossed away soon after, or a consumer that collects for their own happiness and self expression? Of course, it's always good to think about your purchases beforehand instead of spending impulsively, but I don't necessarily think, in the grand scheme, that a collector is doing any more harm than anyone else.

Reactions: LunarCharm
dragonofenvy

dragonofenvy

Mage
Oct 8, 2023
I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum. I don't buy anything unless I can get something out of it. I detest decoration and luxury items. Unless I can feel good from it I don't want to buy it. I have friends that buy the most expensive high "quality" things they possibly can and make fun of me for buying cheap "low" quality items even though my stuff lasts just as long or longer than their's do. I guess people just like making fun of people who have less money than them.

I do like to buy things that make me feel good, like candy, video games, soda, etc. but I'm not really a collector. I want an experience or to feel good when I buy something. I don't see a problem because I want to feel better and it's not causing a detriment to myself. If it's not causing a detriment to you then I don't see why it's a bad thing. I'm sorry that your friends and family are shaming you for your collections. I wonder if they buy and collect things too and shame others for the things they do too.