passenger27

passenger27

In my beginning is my end.
Aug 25, 2019
As long as the ppm maintains 800 or higher for 2-3 hours you will die. No contest. Lots of variables such as how good is the seal in a vehicle? Newer vehicles are WAY more sealed than older ones, the door jams have better rubbers, there aren't as many "cricks and cracks" around the vehicle. I did my test in a 2013 Chevy Cruze did nothing but close the air vents no tape no caulking no nothing and with 2 pounds of charcoal it rose to 999ppm in 3 and a half minutes. After it got to 999 I took it out, waited 2 full hours and put the same bucket of coals back in and it STILL rose to over 999ppm but it took 6 minutes and 55 seconds. What MANY people fail to understand is that if you jump in the car with those coals that level is going to continue to rise. There is no making sure it will no, it WILL it has no other choice in the matter. If I jump in the car right when it says 800ppm I got 2-3 hours to live, and the level is increasing so your time to live DECREASES the longer you stay in there. It probably went from 999 to 2000 in under 10 minutes so now you'd figure I'd have 25 minutes left of life at that point because now knowing 1600ppm will kill in 30 mins my time is steadily dropping the longer you're in because the level will continue to rise. People fail at this because either
1. They skimped on the charcoal
2. They have an old ass car with bad door/window seals and they failed to tape them off
3. They leave once they get nauseous
4. They wait HOURS before putting the coals in because it's "just too hot" and now your coals aren't as effective

An easy solution

Tape everything off
Get those coals gray
Once they are gray don't fuck around PUT them in the car and get in
Make sure you tape it all off. If you're questioning the amount of charcoal to use, 2-3 pounds will kill you in a car/truck/van. Hell double the amount of it what's stopping you?
Use thumbtacks and put aluminum foil on the roof so it doesn't burn and double down on your charcoal. If it gets too hot get a big bag of ice from the gas station and lay back on it in the seat.

People fail because they agonize every detail like "I need exactly this amount to kill me and just enough of this to hit this number and" yada yada. You're trying to DIE, you can't expect not to have a drop of sweat or a very slight discomfort. It's like hanging people say "well just before I pass out I feel this throbbing in my head HOW DO I PREVENT THAT" like dude, you have a rope around your neck trapping your blood up in your cranium, your head is going to throb. It's things like this you just have to deal with. The most successful suicides are the people who grab that bag of charcoal dump it into that bucket set it on fire roll the windows up and deal with the heat. They are the determined ones. The ones that say Hallelujah at the door and leave all bs aside they dump the bag in it light it and go. Comfort or not. Grab you an 8 pound bag from Walmart, put the whole bag in there, light it on fire, wait for it to stop smoking and roll on with it soldier. Grab some ice bags assuming it'll be hot because it will be, lay back on them bags watch some National Geographic for 10 minutes and pass out, because 8 pounds in a small family sedan is gonna have you out like a light before you get to see if Billy gets his arm back from that crocodile
Cheers
ALSO spread your coals around in whatever you dump them in. Put your thinking cap on if HEAT RISES and you have a bunch of coals piled on top of each other what's going to happen? Your top ones are going to get too much heat and they will disintegrate fast, covering your bottom coals in a very thick ash. Solution: dump them in a metal tray, use 2 if you have to. The chimney and setup does nothing if you have a massive amount of ash smothering your bottom coals. Spread em out a bit.
I think a lot of the problem, at least for me, is overthinking too much. One of the reasons I'm doing this to begin with. I can't afford to screw up. I'm not worried that much for myself, but for my gf. She's as ready to go as me, so it would be pure hell to wake up and her not. I know what you mean about the ashes smothering the coals. My first try I failed miserably because of that. The ppm got to a somewhat lethal level for maybe 15 minutes then started dropping. I smartened up the next go-round, but you're right, those ashes will screw everything up.

John Smith

John Smith

Arcanist
Aug 6, 2018
I think a lot of the problem, at least for me, is overthinking too much. One of the reasons I'm doing this to begin with. I can't afford to screw up. I'm not worried that much for myself, but for my gf. She's as ready to go as me, so it would be pure hell to wake up and her not. I know what you mean about the ashes smothering the coals. My first try I failed miserably because of that. The ppm got to a somewhat lethal level for maybe 15 minutes then started dropping. I smartened up the next go-round, but you're right, those ashes will screw everything up.
Can you explain everything you did your first try that you didnt do on your other tries that made it fail?

toxicfox

toxicfox

Can’t run with foxes AND hunt with the wolves
Sep 30, 2019
Seems to me you got your numbers up good. You got to 3500-7000 right? No matter the duration it takes to get there you'll be out even before it reaches it. Brand is also a thing. Some smolder quicker, while others don't have as much carbon content. I've read this entire megathread over at least twice and upon doing further research online the better brand to use would be Royal Oak or Expert Grill. I used royal oak in my test and it worked the way it should, and that was only with 2 pounds. It should only take 30-45 minutes for the charcoal to "ash over" or gray before tipping them into the bucket. You said you got a reading of over 3500 or 6000 so in all reality as long as it builds up to 1600 or higher you'll be over in an hour or less, probably less. That is a very good number. The numbers will climb slower as time goes on but as long as you get in with the coals while they are "in their prime" within 45 minutes or less after lighting them, you'll achieve. Try Royal Oak or Expert Grill. I bought an 8 pound expert grill back for $3.75 and this brand is a bombshell! I'm doing mine not this Sunday but next Sunday and I'll be posting while I'm in the car things such as how I feel any discomfort etc... It'll start at 2am eastern standard time USA so if you want to chat online and get real live coverage I'll be here. Or get your coals ready same day and we can talk during ours together on here. Up to you

Reactions: thundersnail and passenger27
passenger27

passenger27

Aug 25, 2019
Can you explain everything you did your first try that you didnt do on your other tries that made it fail?
It was mainly just ignorance. I don't mean that in a bad way to anybody who's never used a chimney starter, but it was the 1st time I'd ever used one. I'm pretty sure I didn't have an even burn at all, because instead of stuffing newspaper around the bottom I used pages out of a magazine. Magazine pages balled tight are hard as hell to light and stay lit. Even though I put a flame all around the bottom, I think maybe one side didn't stay lit, so all I ended up with was an ashy mess, with just enough coals to at least try, which, like toxicfox mentioned, smothered the coals. So from then on I used newspaper and didn't have much of a problem.
Seems to me you got your numbers up good. You got to 3500-7000 right? No matter the duration it takes to get there you'll be out even before it reaches it. Brand is also a thing. Some smolder quicker, while others don't have as much carbon content. I've read this entire megathread over at least twice and upon doing further research online the better brand to use would be Royal Oak or Expert Grill. I used royal oak in my test and it worked the way it should, and that was only with 2 pounds. It should only take 30-45 minutes for the charcoal to "ash over" or gray before tipping them into the bucket. You said you got a reading of over 3500 or 6000 so in all reality as long as it builds up to 1600 or higher you'll be over in an hour or less, probably less. That is a very good number. The numbers will climb slower as time goes on but as long as you get in with the coals while they are "in their prime" within 45 minutes or less after lighting them, you'll achieve. Try Royal Oak or Expert Grill. I bought an 8 pound expert grill back for $3.75 and this brand is a bombshell! I'm doing mine not this Sunday but next Sunday and I'll be posting while I'm in the car things such as how I feel any discomfort etc... It'll start at 2am eastern standard time USA so if you want to chat online and get real live coverage I'll be here. Or get your coals ready same day and we can talk during ours together on here. Up to you

Last edited:
Reactions: toxicfox
toxicfox

toxicfox

Can’t run with foxes AND hunt with the wolves
Sep 30, 2019
I just poured lighter fluid on mine, and if they were still black when the flame went out I doused then again and lit another match. Only legitimate reason they say not to use fluid is because most brands have an odor, that's it. I can pour fluid on them, light them, stir them around with a pole, pour more on and light them again and have a damn good burn. The lighter fluid didn't make me cough and if I'm not mistaken I do believe that accelerants like gasoline and lighter fluid are also bad to breath in, giving it also an extra bit of security in my opinion. Like adding poison onto poison.

Reactions: passenger27
passenger27

passenger27

Aug 25, 2019
It was mainly just ignorance. I don't mean that in a bad way to anybody who's never used a chimney starter, but it was the 1st time I'd ever used one. I'm pretty sure I didn't have an even burn at all, because instead of stuffing newspaper around the bottom I used pages out of a magazine. Magazine pages balled tight are hard as hell to light and stay lit. Even though I put a flame all around the bottom, I think maybe one side didn't stay lit, so all I ended up with was an ashy mess, with just enough coals to at least try, which, like toxicfox mentioned, smothered the coals. So from then on I used newspaper and didn't have much of a problem.
Yeah, when I put the 2 buckets in my van, the numbers shot up pretty quick, then slowed down after an hour to an hour and a half. I put the buckets in at 7:20 and stopped at 10:00. The reading was 7075 then and was still creeping up a little. I think maybe 50 or so ppm every 15 minutes. Frankly I didn't see a need to keep checking by then. I just wanted to see how long it took before the numbers went down, which obviously wouldn't have mattered by then anyway. Go big or go home, that's my motto. Lame as it sounds, Sunday after next I'm going to a Halloween party my family's throwing. Like I said, sounds lame but it's the last time I'll see them. There's no love lost between us, I guess I just want my face burned in their memory so they can all remember how shitty they've treated me over the years. But I'll try my best to log on here (hope I'm not too drunk) by 2, and I'll be glad to chat. All it takes is one person to not be alone, you know. Best of luck to you, and I'm sure I won't be far behind you.
I just poured lighter fluid on mine, and if they were still black when the flame went out I doused then again and lit another match. Only legitimate reason they say not to use fluid is because most brands have an odor, that's it. I can pour fluid on them, light them, stir them around with a pole, pour more on and light them again and have a damn good burn. The lighter fluid didn't make me cough and if I'm not mistaken I do believe that accelerants like gasoline and lighter fluid are also bad to breath in, giving it also an extra bit of security in my opinion. Like adding poison onto poison.
You have a good point about extra security. I have 3 bottles of benzos I've saved just for a special occasion like this, plus a bottle of vodka in the freezer, so I doubt I'll even realize what's going on in 15 minutes or so. I've read this thread more than a few times too. bbq1 on page 3 or so seems to really know his shit. You may have already read everything on this site too, but it's got some great info: https://archive.ashspace.org/asm_guide/#III.A.3

Last edited:
M

misterV

Oct 9, 2019
Hi Guys,
i bought 10 kilos of charcoal 100% natural, same as you can find in asia.
If i use 5 kilos in a bucket ( 2 x 2.5 kilos in a ignitor), in a small bathromm 1mx2M, is that possible to go to hight level of Carbon monoxyde in1 hour, how much do you think ?
Is that a godd idea ? whats your advice ? Thats just a question by curiosity. I dont want to pass, but just to know if its possible for my personnal reasons.
Thanks for your answer and
I do not encourage anyone to commit suicide.

Attachments

• 20191012_150015.jpg
    20191012_150015.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 41
  • 20191012_150008.jpg
    20191012_150008.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 49
  • 20191012_150003.jpg
    20191012_150003.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 51
passenger27

passenger27

Aug 25, 2019
Hi Guys,
i bought 10 kilos of charcoal 100% natural, same as you can find in asia.
If i use 5 kilos in a bucket ( 2 x 2.5 kilos in a ignitor), in a small bathromm 1mx2M, is that possible to go to hight level of Carbon monoxyde in1 hour, how much do you think ?
Is that a godd idea ? whats your advice ? Thats just a question by curiosity. I dont want to pass, but just to know if its possible for my personnal reasons.
Thanks for your answer and
I do not encourage anyone to commit suicide.
I don't mean to sound dumb and make an ass of myself, but how much bigger is that type of charcoal as opposed to briquettes? It's hard to tell from the angle of the picture. I fit around 2 kilos of briquettes stacked a little higher than the top of a chimney starter. Actually I used 2 chimney starters per bucket because you'll lose around a quarter of what you burn (keep in mind this is with briquettes) in the chimney starter. You don't want to smother the coals with ash, so sort of knock some of the ash off the top once they're in the bucket (I used a wire coathanger). As I said earlier in this thread, I used 4 chimney starters with briquettes (2 per bucket, so as to not smother the coals) and reached 7075 ppm in 2 hrs 37 mins in my van. I'm not trying to encourage you in any way whatsoever, but there are so many variables with this method I'd suggest a CO meter that can reach 10000 ppm if you can afford one (mine was $375). That's really the only way you'll know for sure. How you're going about this seems like it would work just fine, but don't let me steer you in the wrong direction. Unless you have a meter you're just not going to know for sure. Hope this helps.

M

misterV

Oct 9, 2019
that's what briquettes look like, they have a hole in the middle and can burn for more than 12 hours. I can cut them in 2 parts. With 2 chimney starter I can put more than 2 kilos and 500 grams of briquettes on each.
So if I simultaneously use 2 chimney starters and 2 buckets in same time, then put the briquettes once red in 2 different buckets, in a small bathroom of 1m by 2, the chances of success are considerable don't you think ? All opinions are welcome.
PS: the high level of cabon monoxyde can be in 1 hour or something, but with pills and alcool, in less than 3 hours, the success will be dont you think ? How many people passed with few briquettes in their rooms , so many !

Attachments

• 20191013_133401.jpg
    20191013_133401.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 44
  • 20191013_133352.jpg
    20191013_133352.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Reactions: throwaway1111
passenger27

passenger27

Aug 25, 2019
that's what briquettes look like, they have a hole in the middle and can burn for more than 12 hours. I can cut them in 2 parts. With 2 chimney starter I can put more than 2 kilos and 500 grams of briquettes on each.
So if I simultaneously use 2 chimney starters and 2 buckets in same time, then put the briquettes once red in 2 different buckets, in a small bathroom of 1m by 2, the chances of success are considerable don't you think ? All opinions are welcome.
PS: the high level of cabon monoxyde can be in 1 hour or something, but with pills and alcool, in less than 3 hours, the success will be dont you think ? How many people passed with few briquettes in their rooms , so many !
Oh I see the charcoal you're using now. Sorry about that. I think those are what Jonghyun (South Korean singer) used when he killed himself. 1 or 2 in a frying pan. That's pretty amazing. I'm not sure what else he had in his system, but he died in a bigger room than your bathroom. I used Kingsford Original Briquettes when I did my testing, much smaller, and they don't burn anywhere nearly as long as those briquettes, and my readings were more than lethally high, so I'd say you have a good thing going. As long as you get the coals burned evenly and don't burn them so long they get too ashy I don't see how you could go wrong. I've never tried your type of briquettes though, so I can't say 100% about this, but with enough pills and alcohol to knock you out for 4 or 5 hours or so (just to be sure, but I'm an overachiever) I think things would go fine. I'd see if anybody who's burned those types of briquettes can give you a more sure answer, but your setup seems pretty lethal to me.

Reactions: hadenoughthanks
M

misterV

Oct 9, 2019
Oh I see the charcoal you're using now. Sorry about that. I think those are what Jonghyun (South Korean singer) used when he killed himself. 1 or 2 in a frying pan. That's pretty amazing. I'm not sure what else he had in his system, but he died in a bigger room than your bathroom. I used Kingsford Original Briquettes when I did my testing, much smaller, and they don't burn anywhere nearly as long as those briquettes, and my readings were more than lethally high, so I'd say you have a good thing going. As long as you get the coals burned evenly and don't burn them so long they get too ashy I don't see how you could go wrong. I've never tried your type of briquettes though, so I can't say 100% about this, but with enough pills and alcohol to knock you out for 4 or 5 hours or so (just to be sure, but I'm an overachiever) I think things would go fine. I'd see if anybody who's burned those types of briquettes can give you a more sure answer, but your setup seems pretty lethal to me.
i send you better pictures of them.
Its 100% natural charcoal and can burn 12 hours !
100% natural with no additive.
I think they are the best.
But i need burn them aroud 30 miniuts in chimney before they are red and start to be wihte to produce monoxyde, i have no idea if someone have tips

Attachments

• 20191013_150821.jpg
    20191013_150821.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 44
  • 20191013_150751.jpg
    20191013_150751.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 38
  • 20191013_150745.jpg
    20191013_150745.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 36
  • 20191013_150739.jpg
    20191013_150739.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 36
  • 20191013_150735.jpg
    20191013_150735.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Reactions: throwaway1111 and x-Ace-x
passenger27

passenger27

Aug 25, 2019
i send you better pictures of them.
Its 100% natural charcoal and can burn 12 hours !
100% natural with no additive.
I think they are the best.
But i need burn them aroud 30 miniuts in chimney before they are red and start to be wihte to produce monoxyde, i have no idea if someone have tips
I'm not sure if 30 minutes is enough in the chimney starter. I had to burn mine for an hour to an hour & 15 minutes or so to get all the charcoal gray, and those were with smaller briquettes.

M

misterV

Oct 9, 2019
[QUOTE = "passager27, poste: 437600, membre: 10106"]
Je ne suis pas sûr que 30 minutes suffisent dans le démarreur de cheminée. Je devais brûler le mien pendant une heure à une heure et 15 minutes environ pour obtenir tout le gris anthracite, et c'étaient des briquettes plus petites.
[/CITATION]

Ok 1h would be fine i think, then i will put in a bucket. i have no idea with 2 x 2.5 kilos in 2 differents buckets i can have high monoxyde concentation in a 1x2 meteres small bathroom/

passenger27

passenger27

Aug 25, 2019
[QUOTE = "passager27, poste: 437600, membre: 10106"]
Je ne suis pas sûr que 30 minutes suffisent dans le démarreur de cheminée. Je devais brûler le mien pendant une heure à une heure et 15 minutes environ pour obtenir tout le gris anthracite, et c'étaient des briquettes plus petites.
[/CITATION]

Ok 1h would be fine i think, then i will put in a bucket. i have no idea with 2 x 2.5 kilos in 2 differents buckets i can have high monoxyde concentation in a 1x2 meteres small bathroom/
As long as you sort of knock off the ash off the top of the coals so as they don't get smothered I think things would be fine. Be very careful though. The last thing you want is to wake up brain-damaged or in a mental hospital. Is there any way you could buy a CO meter? It's really the only way you're going to know for sure. It needs to read up to 10000 ppm though, and those kinds are expensive.

M

misterV

Oct 9, 2019
As long as you sort of knock off the ash off the top of the coals so as they don't get smothered I think things would be fine. Be very careful though. The last thing you want is to wake up brain-damaged or in a mental hospital. Is there any way you could buy a CO meter? It's really the only way you're going to know for sure. It needs to read up to 10000 ppm though, and those kinds are expensive.

the ashes prevent the production of monoxide? I can not afford a meter. IF I have 3 kilos in 3 different buckets it would be ok i think.
or sometinhing like that would be better than a big bucket, i can use maybe 6 in my bathroom, is that better ?? I can put somthing like 1 kilo on each.

Attachments

• ItemPL2200.png
    ItemPL2200.png
    16.2 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Reactions: throwaway1111
passenger27

passenger27

Aug 25, 2019
the ashes prevent the production of monoxide? I can not afford a meter. IF I have 3 kilos in 3 different buckets it would be ok i think.
or sometinhing like that would be better than a big bucket, i can use maybe 6 in my bathroom, is that better ?? I can put somthing like 1 kilo on each.
Too much ash will smother the coals. Some is fine, but I'd try to have as little as possible. That tray doesn't look bad. It would spread the charcoal out good. 6 kilos seems like it would be fine, that's a good bit for a bathroom. But better too much than not enough. Just be careful getting all that to the bathroom. I'd get a glove made for grilling instead of using an oven mitt because it's thicker & less likely to burn you.

M

misterV

Oct 9, 2019
[QUOTE = "passager27, poste: 437623, membre: 10106"]
Trop de cendre étouffera les braises. Certains vont bien, mais j'essayerais d'en avoir le moins possible. Ce plateau n'a pas l'air mauvais. Cela répandrait bien le charbon de bois. 6 kilos semble que ça irait, c'est un bon morceau pour une salle de bain. Mais mieux vaut trop que pas assez. Faites juste attention à ce que tout cela aille à la salle de bain. Je ferais un gant pour griller au lieu d'utiliser un gant de cuisine, car il est plus épais et moins susceptible de vous brûler.
[/CITATION]

thanks
how long does it take to go to deadly levels of Monoxide with 5 6 Kilos in a very small bathroom? 30 mn ? 1 h or more ?
Wats the best, wait 1 hour before entering the bathroom, taking alchool and drugs and go sleep, or go sleep immediatly after puting the charcoal in the bathroom ?

Last edited:
passenger27

passenger27

Aug 25, 2019
[QUOTE = "passager27, poste: 437623, membre: 10106"]
Trop de cendre étouffera les braises. Certains vont bien, mais j'essayerais d'en avoir le moins possible. Ce plateau n'a pas l'air mauvais. Cela répandrait bien le charbon de bois. 6 kilos semble que ça irait, c'est un bon morceau pour une salle de bain. Mais mieux vaut trop que pas assez. Faites juste attention à ce que tout cela aille à la salle de bain. Je ferais un gant pour griller au lieu d'utiliser un gant de cuisine, car il est plus épais et moins susceptible de vous brûler.
[/CITATION]

Merci !
combien de temps faut -il pour aller à des niveaux mortels de Monoxyde avec 5 6 Kilos dans une très petite salle de bains?
Wats the best, wait 1 hour before entering, taking alchool and drugs and go sleep, or go sleep immediatly after puting the charcoal in the bathroom ?

I personally think it'd be more than enough. That's how I like to do things, the more the better.

800ppm (that's parts per million. It's just a measurement of how CO is in the air basically) takes 3 or so hours to be lethal. To be honest I wouldn't want to wait that long unless theoretically that's all your setup got up to. But I think it would be way higher than that.

If it got to 1600ppm it'd take probably an hour and a half.

If it gets to 3200ppm it'd take around 45 minutes.

At 6400ppm 30 minutes,

and 12800pmm 1 to 3 minutes.

All this is from the chart that came with my meter. There's really no way I could tell you what parts per million would be lethal in your case because there's so many variables. Personally I think you'd be pretty high, but things happen. You might accidentally leave the coals in the chimney starter too long. Things like that.

I'd take some Dramamine an hour before you do anything because it'll keep you from getting sick from too many pills and alcohol. But it doesn't mix well with alcohol because it makes you drowsy, which is really a good thing, that's what you want to do, is pass out. But after an hour I'd take everything in the bathroom and just stay in there and pop pills and drink. If you open the door after an hour you're going to lose probably half or a quarter of the CO that's built up in there.

I don't mean to sound like I know everything I just read and research the internet a lot lol

M

misterV

Oct 9, 2019
I personally think it'd be more than enough. That's how I like to do things, the more the better.

800ppm (that's parts per million. It's just a measurement of how CO is in the air basically) takes 3 or so hours to be lethal. To be honest I wouldn't want to wait that long unless theoretically that's all your setup got up to. But I think it would be way higher than that.

If it got to 1600ppm it'd take probably an hour and a half.

If it gets to 3200ppm it'd take around 45 minutes.

At 6400ppm 30 minutes,

and 12800pmm 1 to 3 minutes.

All this is from the chart that came with my meter. There's really no way I could tell you what parts per million would be lethal in your case because there's so many variables. Personally I think you'd be pretty high, but things happen. You might accidentally leave the coals in the chimney starter too long. Things like that.

I'd take some Dramamine an hour before you do anything because it'll keep you from getting sick from too many pills and alcohol. But it doesn't mix well with alcohol because it makes you drowsy, which is really a good thing, that's what you want to do, is pass out. But after an hour I'd take everything in the bathroom and just stay in there and pop pills and drink. If you open the door after an hour you're going to lose probably half or a quarter of the CO that's built up in there.

I don't mean to sound like I know everything I just read and research the internet a lot lol
tanks !
its very hard to find the right solution, nobody give the same infos, we really need to have professionnal advices.
How long i need to let in the cimney the charcoal do you think ?
i dont car if i take 1 or 2 hours, i will take so many pills, i will not understand what will happen.
unfortunately, i have no money to buy a ppm level machine.

passenger27

passenger27

Aug 25, 2019
tanks !
its very hard to find the right solution, nobody give the same infos, we really need to have professionnal advices.
How long i need to let in the cimney the charcoal do you think ?
i dont car if i take 1 or 2 hours, i will take so many pills, i will not understand what will happen.
unfortunately, i have no money to buy a ppm level machine.
Yeah, it's hard to know what to believe. The internet has more lies than truths. Some people don't know anything, some know everything. The ones that know everything usually don't know as much as they think they do. It's the same on and off the internet. I just know my own experiences, everybody's is different.

The only thing close to professional advice unfortunately is to have a CO meter. Even they can be off if they're not calibrated. You have to send them to the manufacturer every year to be recalibrated. There's a tag on the back that tells you the month you need to send it in. I didn't see a price in the book that came with the meter, but I'd seen somewhere it costs $40. I guess they don't tell you so they can charge what they want. I'm sorry you can't afford one. I couldn't have afforded one myself if I hadn't used a credit card. I doubt I'll be around to pay it off, so no worries there. But you know, if you use enough charcoal more than likely you're going to have success. Neither Jonghyun nor Brad Delp (American singer) used a CO meter, they just did their thing. We agonize over this but it's probably a lot simpler than it seems. Everybody on this site more than likely over agonizes, so don't feel alone.

I just can't tell how long it would take for those particular briquettes to burn in the chimney starter. I'm not sure they even sell them here, or maybe I haven't looked hard enough. I'd definitely give them an hour to an hour and a half. Just keep your eyes on them until they're gray and glowing, but not too ashy.

I've been having a lot of issues with the wind lately. It's been so windy I've been afraid to light a chimney starter. I don't have much around to block the wind, so it's sort of screwing me up. With my luck the fire department would end up at my house and ask a million questions, so I'm waiting on a calm enough evening. Something else to think about though, I'm not sure a lot of people do who are considering this method. The wind can blow hard this time of year.

You have a good point about taking so many pills you don't know what's going on. I'm doing the same. I've read about people waking up because of the heat though. A spray bottle of cold water will help. It's going to get hot in there. If you're in a bathroom, unless you're using it to put the buckets or trays in it, I'd just fill up the tub with water and hop in. Who knows? You might drown. It's always nice to have as many different combinations as possible. And of course tape up the doors if you can, and put a towel at the bottom of the door.

Hope all this helps you misterv. It's all a pain but I think it pays off in the end.

• Love
Reactions: nolongerhurting, misterV and throwaway1111
D

Deleted member 1768

Enlightened
Aug 15, 2018
I'm also interested in a well priced and reliable CO meter that reads up to 10,000pm. Please let me know if you know of one. Thank you in advance.
You can rent them if you live in Usa.

LuzurPhagget

LuzurPhagget

Experienced
Sep 15, 2019
Can anyone pinpoint where this dude went wrong? I'm really scratching my head wondering.

https://sanctioned-suicide.net/thre...ning-by-charcoal-in-my-car.21708/#post-405089

I'd hate to have this happen to me.

passenger27

passenger27

Aug 25, 2019
Can anyone pinpoint where this dude went wrong? I'm really scratching my head wondering.

https://sanctioned-suicide.net/thre...ning-by-charcoal-in-my-car.21708/#post-405089

I'd hate to have this happen to me.
I know what you mean.

The few things I can think of is he used fire starters to light the charcoal instead of stuffing newspaper into the bottom of the chimney starter. It seems like chunks of fire starters would burn too much of the bottom coals. Charcoal burns down at least a pound or two in a chimney starter just using newspaper, so in the end maybe there just wasn't enough charcoal to get to a high enough level to be fatal.

I noticed he said something about black smoke coming out of the chimney starter. It should have been white. I don't understand why it was black.

Excess is always best. When I did my last test in my van I used 4 chimney starters and 2 buckets (2 chimney starters per pail) and reached way more than enough CO to take me out pretty quick. Nothing burned or felt hot when I opened the doors and felt around. But then again I waited a few minutes to let the CO out of the van, so I can't say what the heat was for sure.

It could have been the time of day. If it was sunny maybe it was flaming more than he thought but he couldn't see the flame because of the sun, and when he put the bucket in his car it was just too hot.

In the end, who knows. There's so many variables to this method it could have been a dozen things. Plus I'm not a detective, so anything I've said could be utter bullshit. :)

I plan on doing my last test tomorrow. I'm going to try to put 3 steel pails on stepping stones in the back of my van, using 6 chimney starters (2 per pail) full of Kingsford. Each chimney starter holds 4 or 5 pounds, but they'll burn down to probably 2 & a half to 3 pounds after the coals are ready. I have the CO meter and a thermometer to put in the front seat. It's not going to take that long to reach nuclear levels. I've got a stopwatch to keep track of the CO levels every 15 minutes or so, and an outside thermometer to compare temperatures. My biggest reason for doing one last test is because I never put a thermometer in the van like a dumbass doing my last tests, plus I've been waiting for colder weather. It's supposed to be 35 degrees Fahrenheit tomorrow night. A little cold, but what the hell. I'll let you guys know how it goes, and maybe try to take some pics of each step if I can. I have to be careful of nosey neighbors, and I have quite a few of those, so it's going to be a dusk to dark thing, so I can't say for sure about the pics.

I guess you can tell I'm pretty serious about this method. After this it'll only be a few weeks before the REAL test, when I get in the van.

Excess is always best, just make sure the pails aren't too hot by putting your hand above them. You'll know when they're too hot. It won't hurt to let them cool down a little.

This can be a real pain in the ass method. The prep is hell, but hopefully it'll all pay off.

Reactions: LuzurPhagget
LuzurPhagget

LuzurPhagget

Experienced
Sep 15, 2019
I know what you mean.

The few things I can think of is he used fire starters to light the charcoal instead of stuffing newspaper into the bottom of the chimney starter. It seems like chunks of fire starters would burn too much of the bottom coals. Charcoal burns down at least a pound or two in a chimney starter just using newspaper, so in the end maybe there just wasn't enough charcoal to get to a high enough level to be fatal.

I noticed he said something about black smoke coming out of the chimney starter. It should have been white. I don't understand why it was black.

Excess is always best. When I did my last test in my van I used 4 chimney starters and 2 buckets (2 chimney starters per pail) and reached way more than enough CO to take me out pretty quick. Nothing burned or felt hot when I opened the doors and felt around. But then again I waited a few minutes to let the CO out of the van, so I can't say what the heat was for sure.

It could have been the time of day. If it was sunny maybe it was flaming more than he thought but he couldn't see the flame because of the sun, and when he put the bucket in his car it was just too hot.

In the end, who knows. There's so many variables to this method it could have been a dozen things. Plus I'm not a detective, so anything I've said could be utter bullshit. :)

I plan on doing my last test tomorrow. I'm going to try to put 3 steel pails on stepping stones in the back of my van, using 6 chimney starters (2 per pail) full of Kingsford. Each chimney starter holds 4 or 5 pounds, but they'll burn down to probably 2 & a half to 3 pounds after the coals are ready. I have the CO meter and a thermometer to put in the front seat. It's not going to take that long to reach nuclear levels. I've got a stopwatch to keep track of the CO levels every 15 minutes or so, and an outside thermometer to compare temperatures. My biggest reason for doing one last test is because I never put a thermometer in the van like a dumbass doing my last tests, plus I've been waiting for colder weather. It's supposed to be 35 degrees Fahrenheit tomorrow night. A little cold, but what the hell. I'll let you guys know how it goes, and maybe try to take some pics of each step if I can. I have to be careful of nosey neighbors, and I have quite a few of those, so it's going to be a dusk to dark thing, so I can't say for sure about the pics.

I guess you can tell I'm pretty serious about this method. After this it'll only be a few weeks before the REAL test, when I get in the van.

Excess is always best, just make sure the pails aren't too hot by putting your hand above them. You'll know when they're too hot. It won't hurt to let them cool down a little.

This can be a real pain in the ass method. The prep is hell, but hopefully it'll all pay off.

Good luck man. I might be CTBing around the same time as you then.

Reactions: passenger27
Femmeboifailure

Femmeboifailure

Sep 9, 2019
Does anyone have any advice on sealing car?

Reactions: Darkdreamer001
passenger27

passenger27

Aug 25, 2019
Does anyone have any advice on sealing car?
Duct tape the vents for sure and maybe around the cracks of the doors if you want peace of mind. I've seen some people caulk cracks but I think duct tape is fine myself. When I tested things out I just taped over the vents and got to a lethal enough level to take me out in 15 minutes or so.

Reactions: Darkdreamer001 and Femmeboifailure
Femmeboifailure

Femmeboifailure

Sep 9, 2019
Duct tape the vents for sure and maybe around the cracks of the doors if you want peace of mind. I've seen some people caulk cracks but I think duct tape is fine myself. When I tested things out I just taped over the vents and got to a lethal enough level to take me out in 15 minutes or so.
Thank you!

From the outside you duct tape it? Or the inside?

passenger27

passenger27

Aug 25, 2019
Thank you!

From the outside you duct tape it? Or the inside?
I'd do it from the inside so it doesn't look suspicious.At first I was thinking about taping the rear door of my van from the outside because once I put my pails of charcoal in the back I can't tape from the inside, but yeah, I think it's just too suspicious.

A

a.h

Specialist
Jun 19, 2019
Is it ok for a generator to have a converter? Which generator is preferable to get high carbon monoxide? Could using a generator and charcoal in a small bedroom work also?

There are still portable gens without converter. Converters make CO levels very low.

Reactions: Darkdreamer001