• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I think the short answer for that is quite clear. Yes mental health medication have the potential to do that. But I think a more intricate elaboration might be necessary.

Recently I saw a new documentary about antidepressants on youtube. I watched it only partly. I jumped to the end and their conclusion was ambivalent. They pointed out the positive and possible negative effects of anitdepressants. Though more exactly there are also other medication prescribed when someone has depression. For example mood stabilizers and sometimes even neuroleptics.
I am no expert but I have read some literature on it, watched some psychiatrists and psychologists talking about it and took like 30 differrent mental health medication.

The drugs which were the most benefical for me were antipsychotics, a mood stabilizer (not 100% certain about its effect. Maybe it was only accidental but 2 days after I took it my psychosomatic pain vanished which was a huge relief), Z-medication and benzos. The last two ones are very dangerous because they are highly addictive but they saved my ass quite often. I am glad my psychiatrist trusts me enough so that she prescribes them to me.

Personally I did not benefit that much of antidepressants concerning my mood. I still take one but mostly because it is a huge help to fall asleep. Though I have met people who told me antidepressants have saved their lives. I was kind of envious when people told me that in clinics because the positive effect on me was not that significant. But I have met a woman who told me she was about to jump in front of train. Then she took an antidepressant, her depression went away and she barely had side effects. I also was envious because I had many side effects.
I have listened to a psychologist who said antidepressants are the most effective when someone does not really know why they are depressed. When people think usually I really like my life and should be happy but instead I am depressed for no real reason. I am not sure whether this is accurate. But this is what he said. Other experts probably have another take on the topic.

On the other hand one should also be honest that mental health medication can have negative side effects. Here in this forum many people tell that they had severe detrimental side effects. I think one has to acknowledge that.

My personal approach was either I kill myself or I give them a shot. I tried to live twice without medication and it backfired immensely. I had two psychosis and even with medication my mind is pretty shaky. Without antipsychotics I was close to insanity. I cannot really grasp how insane my life was during that time period. My life quality has improved since and one reason for that was changing my mind concerning medication.

Moreover one has to emphasis that some people are treatment resistant. The doctors often suggest then treatments like ECT, Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation or other treatments) I read some people in this forum also got no benefit from that. And I believe them. This thread has not the purpose to portray mental health medication as the perfect, magical cure for everyone who suffers from mental health issues. Like this one book about depression which was quite popular in the country where I live. A famous comedian told his suffering story. I can sum it up. He suffered his whole life from depression and existential pain went to a clinic and his whole life changed after 8 weeks therapy. No more sorrows, everything was perfect then. This is not usually the case when someone struggles with mental health issues. And popular books like that convey people who don't know much about mental health issues a distorted notion about mental health.

Maybe some other remarks. I have used the term to save someone's life because some people genuinely want to live. Some people don't want to commit suicide but feel forced to do so because of their pain and/or life circumstances. When medication contributes to an improvement of their life quality I think the terms are used correctly.

Another thing: I think here are some people sceptical concerning the pills which are usually prescribed. But there are also new treatment forms for different mental health issues. Probably for some people they are contraindicated but other people can benefit from them. For example psychedelics for PTSD. Or ketamine for certain forms of depression. My personal take on this is I would not take it without a professional who monitors it. But I think some people have a different opinion on that.

What is your take on it?

Last edited:
L

lionetta12

Just a random person
Aug 5, 2022
I think the short answer for that is quite clear. Yes mental health medication have the potential to do that. But I think a more intricate elaboration might be necessary.

Recently I saw a new documentary about antidepressants on youtube. I watched it only partly. I jumped to the end and their conclusion was ambivalent. They pointed out the positive and possible negative effects of anitdepressants. Though more exactly there are also other medication prescribed when someone has depression. For example mood stabilizers and sometimes even neuroleptics.
I am no expert but I have read some literature on it, watched some psychiatrists and psychologists talking about it and took like 30 differrent mental health medication.

The drugs which were the most benefical for me were antipsychotics, a mood stabilizer (not 100% certain about its effect. Maybe it was only accidental but 2 days after I took it my psychosomatic pain vanished which was a huge relief), Z-medication and benzos. The last two ones are very dangerous because they are highly addictive but they saved my ass quite often. I am glad my psychiatrist trusts me enough so that she prescribes them to me.

Personally I did not benefit that much of antidepressants concerning my mood. I still take one but mostly because it is a huge help to fall asleep. Though I have met people who told me antidepressants have saved their lives. I was kind of envious when people told me that in clinics because the positive effect on me was not that significant. But I have met a woman who told me she was about to jump in front of train. Then she took an antidepressant, her depression went away and she barely had side effects. I also was envious because I had many side effects.
I have listened to a psychologist who said antidepressants are the most effective when someone does not really know why they are depressed. When people think usually I really like my life and should be happy but instead I am depressed for no real reason. I am not sure whether this is accurate. But this is what he said. Other experts probably have another take on the topic.

On the other hand one should also be honest that mental health medication can have negative side effects. Here in this forum many people tell that they had severe detrimental side effects. I think one has to acknowledge that.

My personal approach was either I kill myself or I give them a shot. I tried to live twice without medication and it backfired immensely. I had two psychosis and even with medication my mind is pretty shaky. Without antipsychotics I was close to insanity. I cannot really grasp how insane my life was during that time period. My life quality has improved since and one reason for that was changing my mind concerning medication.

Moreover one has to emphasis that some people are treatment resistant. The doctors often suggest then treatments like ECT, Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation or other treatments) I read some people in this forum also got no benefit from that. And I believe them. This thread has not the purpose to portray mental health medication as the perfect, magical cure for everyone who suffers from mental health issues. Like this one book about depression which was quite popular in the country where I live. A famous comedian told his suffering story. I can sum it up. He suffered his whole life from depression and existential pain went to a clinic and his whole life changed after 8 weeks therapy. No more sorrows, everything was perfect then. This is not usually the case when someone struggles with mental health issues. And popular books like that convey people who don't know much about mental health issues a distorted notion about mental health.

Maybe some other remarks. I have used the term to save someone's life because some people genuinely want to live. Some people don't want to commit suicide but feel forced to do so because of their pain and/or life circumstances. When medication contributes to an improvement of their life quality I think the terms are used correctly.

Another thing: I think here are some people sceptical concerning the pills which are usually prescribed. But there are also new treatment forms for different mental health issues. Probably for some people they are contraindicated but other people can benefit from them. For example psychedelics for PTSD. Or ketamine for certain forms of depression. My personal take on this is I would not take it without a professional who monitors it. But I think some people have a different opinion on that.

What is your take on it?
The right medicine sure can help some people, but I also find it sad and ironic how a lot of mental health medications have the listed side effects of increasing suicidal thoughs and sometimes even cause suicide attemps.

onlyanimalsaregood

onlyanimalsaregood

Unlovable šŸ’” Rest in peace CommitSudoku šŸ¤
Mar 11, 2022
It helps me once

rainbowbright

rainbowbright

Oct 1, 2022
The first time I went on antidepressants I can honestly say they saved me at that time. I've had a bit of a nightmare the past 2 years trying different ones as I started not feeling the benefits of the antidepressant I was on for years before. Now on another new one and it's had a positive effect so far

Reactions: onlyanimalsaregood
S

Sammie

Sep 2, 2022
Instead of saving, it would be "extending".
Yes, the way I see it exactly.
Like OP, antidepressants never were a good fit for me and I hate the side effects (I've tried different ones over the years and multiple times without positive results). However, there are other types of meds that are very helpful in getting me through the days and even having motivation to get things done. I always have quite meds, though, because I think I should be able to live without them and I feel like having to rely on them kinda makes me like a drug addict even though I eventually get to the point of very little functioning because of anxiety and depression begin to completely consume me. I started back with psychotherapy a few months ago and am hopeful about it this time, but nothing has worked like certain meds which I started back on a few days ago [out of desperation] and already feel a lot better with mood and motivation. BUT I do not feel this is a so-called life saver, as I still hate life and suffering but it will help to keep me going for a while longer as is necessary.

Last edited:
N

noaccount

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2019
All kinds of drugs can make people's lives preferable-to-death, legal and illegal ones. That's why people take them.

(Now whether it works longer-term or just short-term varies a lot, of course.)

Capsaicin78

Capsaicin78

Full time failure
May 4, 2022
100%
They help so many people and that is a really good thing. If they didnt SaSu would unfortunately be much bigger in terms of members.
The problem with medication is that they are overprescribed and also many people dont respond to them. We currently have only a few options for
TRD and so on. Psychedelics might be the future, but we will have to see how the governments around the world adopt to this.

Reactions: LivedTooLong
hans0solo

hans0solo

Dec 10, 2021
as someone in the critical psychiatry movement, the recent attention to the work of Joanna Moncrieff was a welcomed one. Part of it was to dispel the 'chemical imbalance' or 'brain chemical' myth. she also comments on the marketing of drugs as 'anti-depressants'. they are drugs that can sometimes help people elevate their mood and functioning. and if they have enough side-effects, then folks will want to stop them. If they work, great. If not, allow people to stop them (deprescribe). The conclusion of many in this movement suggest is that this and similar drugs treat symptoms like taking an aspirin for a headache. This can keep people alive. But people also don't want to deal with the fact that life is not happy all the time and expecting it to be so can lead to depression, and sui. These pills won't take away real world factors like being in an abusive household or partner or job. Or being unable to eat, afford rent, or dealing with chronic pain. That requires help beyond the mental health system eg. social services, a job, a new place to live, more money. my recent employment has done a lot to life my mood, sense of autonomy, of my feelings about sui.

N

noaccount

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2019
Right there's not really a sub-category of drugs that are "mental health drugs." There are just... psychotropic drugs in general. Some of which are legally prescribed and some of which aren't.

BRAINWORMS

BRAINWORMS

dust to dust
Jul 20, 2020
For many people, absolutely. That said, I really hope that research on psychedelics and other substances progresses enough to make them widely available. Ketamine has certainly made a difference for many folks. There are a lot of frontiers to be explored.

A

akirat9

ć‚Øć‚Æ惈ćƒŖć‚¢ćƒ³
Sep 23, 2022
恓恓恧ē§ćøć®ęœ€ēµ‚ēš„ćŖčæ”äæ”
Can mental health medication save someone's life?
yes for someone
not for me
soon all those varying types and does start killing instead saving

S

SarRy

Student
Oct 5, 2022
Sure, medication can help relieve a person of the stress their brain causes them. There's a reason some people drink themselves to death. Sometimes the long term side effects of a drug are outweighed by their short term benefits, especially when without them there would be no long term.

Medication only treats the physical side of mental illness. The learned behaviours and thought patterns require different therapies. Perhaps, without both there is no true treatment.
Sometimes, we know we won't win in the end. Sometimes, living with mental illness is too troublesome for sufferers and those around them. But, sometimes, medication can give just enough of a break to make life bearable for a little while longer.
To quote the movie platoon, "Feeling good is good enough."

The Eeyorish One

The Eeyorish One

Oct 9, 2022
Imo it's something that helps some people, and hurts others. For me personally, I've had no serious side effects from lexapro, rexulti, and buspirone, though one of my partners just got on a 20mg lexapro and has had trouble with hallucinating because of it.

My personal experience with medication has been that it helps a little bit but not enough to matter which has made me feel worse because "even medicine can't fix me". Basically, it helps keep my depressive spiraling contained to that same day instead of it being multiple days.

As some others have said, I think medication alone isn't enough and you need to rewrite your brain with therapy to think differentlyā€¦ which is a lot easier said than done.

Venus13

Venus13

-
Oct 2, 2022
I see its need but I strive to get myself in a position to avoid then. I use the tamest forms of stat anti-anxiety drugs on bad days. That's just to get it together for work. We all have our physical issues that we can't conquer on our own. Whether it be anxiety, pain, hallucinations, sleep, etc. If the choice is to endure it, take your life against your will due to the suffering, or pop a pill then taking a med or two is a decent option.

I also have a bad relationship with modern psychiatry. I think it's lazy as fuck about the neuroscience. Profit is the main motivator in these pharmaceutical solutions, not balancing a person's brain to advance the human spirit. I think the consequences of these medicines are understated. I've been on a lot. I got insanely sick on some. Felt like trash being on these medications. With that said, if I didn't have the benzos during my worst years I never would not have made it. I was experiencing things too big for me to take. I needed the chemical pressure release. I'm sure a lot of people have stories of these options keeping their head above water and allowing them a chance to continue to experience life. I don't ever see myself going back to medications as a primary solution though.

I do get sad when someone is on 5+ medicines and the side effects are glaringly obvious. Then they get off the medicines and the light comes back into their eyes. I guess living in our natural states without the meds can be dangerous but overloading these substances can really zap the life out of you too.

Reactions: Sammie and whatevs
Made4TV

Made4TV

A hopeless hope junkie
Sep 17, 2018
I once had a psychiatrist who didn't really believe antidepressants did much. He said "We're over here banging rocks together like in the dark ages. Bloodletting, using leeches."

He probably wasn't wrong. That said, I currently take 5 psych medications daily and have a few other things on board prn. I do know that things are pretty bad when I'm off all of them, and when I've tried to stop one that is basically an appetite stimulant (which I decidedly do not need) the world got super dark really fast and I've always gone back on pretty quickly. I suspect some effect is placebo. And possibly after 30+ years of psych drugs my brain can't function without them.

Like others have said, treatment with ketamine or MDMA etc seems promising and I hope we can get a lot more funding and studies. I know a guy who was in the trial for MDMA assisted therapy and it did so much good for him, working through trauma, that he quit his job to go back to school so he could become a therapist to help others the same way.

I think it's certainly reasonable to try out an antidepressant though. If you get a good effect from it, fantastic.

Unsolicited advice for whomever: remember that the "nocebo" effect is real too. If you expect something to give you bad side effects, the chances are higher that it will. And with psych meds, never stop cold turkey. Always taper off. You can mess yourself up worse if you suddenly stop something.

Hirokami

Hirokami

Out of order
Feb 21, 2021
If I never got on SSRIs, I wouldn't have made it past 20 (or, hell, maybe even 18).

So, given my experience and the experience of the general population, psychiatric medications can very well save a life. Though, they can be very trial-and-error depending on your body's chemistry.

Rounded Apathy

Rounded Apathy

Longing to return to stardust
Aug 8, 2022
These pills won't take away real world factors like being in an abusive household or partner or job. Or being unable to eat, afford rent, or dealing with chronic pain. That requires help beyond the mental health system eg. social services, a job, a new place to live, more money.
Precisely what seems to be usually left out of the equation (though my direct experience with the system is very limited). Everyone wants a quick fix, and this works wonders in marketing for drug companies. Why take the slow meticulous approach when we can just throw drugs at something to (not) fix the problem? If you end up worse off, there's a different drug for that, or we can provide you with some other treatment, a hospital stay, or...whatever other thing.

It's kind of tangential, but elsewhere another user referenced an uncited study about western-style therapeutic intervention exacerbating the PTSD symptoms of former west African soldiers. I tried finding it and couldn't but did find an interesting piece from The Guardian about other shortcomings of the approach in the vein of cultural/medical colonialism - namely how many other "developing" nations often see healing as a collective undertaking and how finding one's place in society can be instrumental in the effort...whereas our practice is just (to paraphrase) "sitting in a dingy room and telling very personal things to a total stranger". It contrasted it all with the image of Mozambican shamans showing up in the US after 9/11 and telling people they needed to perform cleansing rituals in order to make peace with the spirits of the dead - really illuminated the sheer ridiculousness of it all.

Not to say it's all trash. It went on to show the most benefit tended to be seen in group therapy settings of female survivors of things like sexual violence, mainly because it tends to be something that just can't be talked about in a lot of places and so healing was just impossible as the trauma was something which society offered no place for. Kind of like...suicide...

Reactions: Hirokami