• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Maravillosa

Maravillosa

Господи помилуй — мир в Україні!
Sep 7, 2018
Yesterday (Friday, October 4) I received a letter from HACA, the Housing Authority of the County of Alameda (Oakland, California). I had applied for Section 8 housing from HACA (and several other housing authorities in California) a couple of years ago. "This letter is to offer you a referral to be considered for a Project Based Voucher unit right now," it read in bold. If my mother were in good health, I would apply instantly for the one-bedroom apartment designed for people with disabilities in the Estrella Vista Apartments, a 100% affordable-housing complex in the town of Emeryville, but I am torn. If I do not apply, my name will be removed from the HACA waiting list. However, I wonder whether God is giving me this chance to live on my own so I do not ctb because I am exhausted from taking care of my mother. (You know that only my ambition to have my novel successfully published and my desire not to devastate Mom are keeping me from ctb, at least for now.)

I like the San Francisco Bay Area very much: I spent a year and a half (September 1984-March 1986) at Mills College in Oakland. However, I had suicidal depression and was hospitalized for six weeks during my sophomore year at Mills. I don't want to jinx myself — I hope I don't feel actively and acutely suicidal again soon. But since I already am chronically suicidal... But what shall I do? I don't want to desert my mother, but I want to have a chance to live on my own. And the Estrella Vista Apartments are located too far for me to take care of my mother: since I live near Los Angeles, I live about a six-hour drive without interruptions (about 400 miles, over 600 km) from the San Francisco Bay Area. My mother would have to hire a helper to take care of her daily hygiene needs and fix her meals, but my mother does not really have that kind of money.

Here is some information I discovered about the Estrella Vista Apartments (I hope the links work):

http://ktgy.com/work/estrella-vista/
https://www.eahhousing.org/wp-conte...hure-Estrella-Vista-eahhousing-CA_2019Jun.pdf
https://www.eahhousing.org/wp-conte...-and-Income-Limits-Estrella-Vista-2019Jun.pdf

I emailed my online therapist about the apartment offer, but she gave birth this past week and my next appointment with her is Friday, October 11.

So what do you think I should do? Many thanks in advance for all your help.

Maravillosa

Maravillosa

Sep 7, 2018
I do not mind at all. Thanks :happy:

stellabelle

stellabelle

ethereal
Dec 14, 2018
Maybe you should take the opportunity if you think it would improve your overall sense of being. Sometimes people need to do what's best for them.

Your mother may qualify for some public funded services that would assist with those tasks. Have you looked into IHSS for her? Would she be willing to relocate?

Reactions: Maravillosa
Stan

Stan

Factoid Hunter
Aug 29, 2019
I would rather take the opportunity, get the home, move in and then see what happens. Rather than stay where you are and always wonder how it could have been.

woxihuanni

woxihuanni

Illuminated
Aug 19, 2019
I'd take it. What would happen to your mother if you died of natural causes, for instance? Some option must be available for your mother in a working system, though I don't know seeing that is the US. Somebody needs to shake some sense into that country.

sleepy dog

sleepy dog

Wizard
Sep 13, 2019
Yesterday (Friday, October 4) I received a letter from HACA, the Housing Authority of the County of Alameda (Oakland, California). I had applied for Section 8 housing from HACA (and several other housing authorities in California) a couple of years ago. "This letter is to offer you a referral to be considered for a Project Based Voucher unit right now," it read in bold. If my mother were in good health, I would apply instantly for the one-bedroom apartment designed for people with disabilities in the Estrella Vista Apartments, a 100% affordable-housing complex in the town of Emeryville, but I am torn. If I do not apply, my name will be removed from the HACA waiting list. However, I wonder whether God is giving me this chance to live on my own so I do not ctb because I am exhausted from taking care of my mother. (You know that only my ambition to have my novel successfully published and my desire not to devastate Mom are keeping me from ctb, at least for now.)

I like the San Francisco Bay Area very much: I spent a year and a half (September 1984-March 1986) at Mills College in Oakland. However, I had suicidal depression and was hospitalized for six weeks during my sophomore year at Mills. I don't want to jinx myself — I hope I don't feel actively and acutely suicidal again soon. But since I already am chronically suicidal... But what shall I do? I don't want to desert my mother, but I want to have a chance to live on my own. And the Estrella Vista Apartments are located too far for me to take care of my mother: since I live near Los Angeles, I live about a six-hour drive without interruptions (about 400 miles, over 600 km) from the San Francisco Bay Area. My mother would have to hire a helper to take care of her daily hygiene needs and fix her meals, but my mother does not really have that kind of money.

Here is some information I discovered about the Estrella Vista Apartments (I hope the links work):

http://ktgy.com/work/estrella-vista/
https://www.eahhousing.org/wp-conte...hure-Estrella-Vista-eahhousing-CA_2019Jun.pdf
https://www.eahhousing.org/wp-conte...-and-Income-Limits-Estrella-Vista-2019Jun.pdf

I emailed my online therapist about the apartment offer, but she gave birth this past week and my next appointment with her is Friday, October 11.

So what do you think I should do? Many thanks in advance for all your help.

You can contact the agency you applied with. Ask them if your mother can be added to your family unit. If she can then she can go with you. Yes I read that you are tired of taking care of her. The other option is trying to get her help she needs before you move. I don't know why they approved you for a certain property. You said you applied for section 8. That means it goes with you wherever you choose to live.

Tegan_sky

Tegan_sky

losing hope
Aug 16, 2019
I think you should take the opportunity to have your own apartment. Who knows if or how long it would take to have this same kind of opportunity come up in the future.

I live in a low income apartment operated by EAH too. Small world.

Rachel74

Rachel74

Enlightened
Sep 7, 2019
If I were you, I would do it. It's too valuable to pass up. I understand your hesitation, for sure. It's a really tough situation. Do you mind if I send you a message?
I would go for it too x

Maravillosa

Maravillosa

Sep 7, 2018
Thank you, everybody. I intend to apply for the apartment. I must call the leasing office on Monday, October 6 so I can receive an application form. It is not a sure thing — after I submit the application, the landlord will screen applicants for "suitability for tenancy". If the landlord selects me (and if I accept the unit), the housing authority will determine my eligibility. If the landlord and the housing authority accept me, then the Section 8 Project Based Voucher Program will subsidize my rent: I would pay 30% of my income (i.e., my SSI payment) — much less than the market rate.

Reactions: Rachel74
M

Morphinekiss

Enlightened
Jun 8, 2019
Apply. Take this opportunity and run. You never know what good could come from it.