• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

obei

obei

This is the only place where you can say “kys”
Aug 4, 2023
So Im 19, but since I was born on January 2005 I was with 2004 kids in school… so in 2023 I finished high school, and took a year off for my mental health. So Im not currently in uni. But I am preparing for a hard uni to get into. And I feel like Imma fck up my mental health if I dont get into uni, and feel like im not good enough at art because of it.

Ik all of that "it doesnt make you a failure if you dont get into it, you always have the next year" shit, but I reallyyyy wanna get into it.
My mentor says I can get into it this year but I dont really believe her enthusiasm.

Little_Suzy

Little_Suzy

Amphibious
May 1, 2023
Take advantage of any available opportunities. It is more important to maintain a 4.0 GPA and transfer to your dream school on scholarship.
This is exactly what happens in the United States.

Reactions: Praestat_Mori
C

ConfusedClouds

Mar 9, 2024
The passion and enthusiasm to want to get in is hugely important, and great to hear! It shows you care about it.

Is there maybe a way you can ask the uni to contact any current students on the course to ask their advice or anything you're nervous about (maybe their experience of the 'selection' process) that you can then look at with your mentor?

Unicr0n

Unicr0n

Stuck in a black hole...
Mar 26, 2024
feel like im not good enough at art because of it.
Are you trying to apply for an art university major? I would suggest community college instead. Art degrees are a dime a dozen but leave you with 50-150k in debt. They're more for building social connections but even then, unless you do something that is unique to the art world, you're not going to make a lot of money from it. Community colleges are much cheaper and you can still get drawing/painting classes drastically cheaper. Public unis will be cheaper as well if no community college near you offers art classes. Consider looking into Art Communities around your area; sometimes they can offer art classes as well.

Art colleges do not teach you anything that you cannot learn from the internet. I'm serious. I do not have an art degree, never went to an art class. I learned from other artists by copying their art. I made a lot of money from commissions. Through online social networking my works were seen by developers and what not and got jobs through there. That's how the majority of digital artists make their break, not from going to college. Traditional artists might benefit more from the college life but again, there are better ways to develop your art talent and spreading your art through word of mouth than to go $100k+ in debt doing it. Practice practice practice at home while you're on that year break. Make it your job. 8-12 hours a day practice. Do studies on anatomy, color, texture, etc. Go to the library, get books on it. Study from that. https://www.amazon.com/Color-Light-Realist-Painter-Gurney/dp/0740797719 This is a book I've seen recommended from artists of different art fields. I like it too.

Yes, you will have to work part time or even full time at a job that isn't art. That's how it is for the majority of artists. There are people that likely can do what you do if you don't bring something unique to the table. That's okay. Art should be first and foremost to make you happy before you begin seeing it as a money maker. Once it becomes something you rely on to survive, you can burn out real fast. Be careful.

If you aren't trying to get into an art uni omg disregard I completely misread it XD

Last edited:
  • Informative
obei

obei

This is the only place where you can say “kys”
Aug 4, 2023
Are you trying to apply for an art university major? I would suggest community college instead. Art degrees are a dime a dozen but leave you with 50-150k in debt. They're more for building social connections but even then, unless you do something that is unique to the art world, you're not going to make a lot of money from it. Community colleges are much cheaper and you can still get drawing/painting classes drastically cheaper. Public unis will be cheaper as well if no community college near you offers art classes. Consider looking into Art Communities around your area; sometimes they can offer art classes as well.

Art colleges do not teach you anything that you cannot learn from the internet. I'm serious. I do not have an art degree, never went to an art class. I learned from other artists by copying their art. I made a lot of money from commissions. Through online social networking my works were seen by developers and what not and got jobs through there. That's how the majority of digital artists make their break, not from going to college. Traditional artists might benefit more from the college life but again, there are better ways to develop your art talent and spreading your art through word of mouth than to go $100k+ in debt doing it. Practice practice practice at home while you're on that year break. Make it your job. 8-12 hours a day practice. Do studies on anatomy, color, texture, etc. Go to the library, get books on it. Study from that. https://www.amazon.com/Color-Light-Realist-Painter-Gurney/dp/0740797719 This is a book I've seen recommended from artists of different art fields. I like it too.

Yes, you will have to work part time or even full time at a job that isn't art. That's how it is for the majority of artists. There are people that likely can do what you do if you don't bring something unique to the table. That's okay. Art should be first and foremost to make you happy before you begin seeing it as a money maker. Once it becomes something you rely on to survive, you can burn out real fast. Be careful.

If you aren't trying to get into an art uni omg disregard I completely misread it XD
Well yeah I am studying for an art uni. Here its quite different, not much debt, and if you get high enough kn the list you will be budgeted from the country, so no debt at all. I do want it, and youre righg. i should make it my job if I wanna get in

• Informative
Reactions: Unicr0n
nightlygem

nightlygem

Student
Sep 27, 2023
Your ambition to get into an art school is highly admirable. However, do not be defeated if you struggle to get into one. Art schools can be quite challenging to get into, but the prestige of a school is futile in retrospect. Do not be afraid to get into a local community college, or a similar university that offers the major you're looking for. I am biased, but I was a straight A+ student and I ended up at a community college. Best decision I've made. The school is small enough so I can make friends, yet big enough for me to get any and every opportunity I want. I always dreamt of going to CalArts, but I don't regret taking a more realistic option at all.
I wish you best of luck.