porhtna

porhtna

bad rng.
Dec 1, 2021
*Rant*
I hate it when people celebrate the "human spirit" and its power using people with physical or mental disabilities as "evidence", glorifying, romanticizing, or dismissing their actual pain. Every time there's a Paralympics happening (like rn) these "inspirational" stories get everywhere. Like "EVEN THOUGH this person was born with half a brain they still PUSHED THROUGH and achieved such and such." Of course the people with disabilities and what they've done are amazing intrinsically, but the way they are perceived/portrayed in media as jerk off material for "healthy/normal" people with some seasoning of condescension just grosses me out.

• Love
Reactions: waitingforrest, Rogue Proxy, WonderingSoul and 9 others
Foresight

Foresight

Enlightened
Jun 14, 2019
Amen

• Love
Reactions: WrongPlaceWrongTime, porhtna, Depressed Cat and 1 other person
NumbItAll

NumbItAll

expendable
May 20, 2018
Yeah or like those feel-good videos of an animal being rescued from a horrible situation, which only could have happened with an immense amount of suffering in the first place. I just feel bad that it ever happened (and still happens all over the place) instead of being happy that it's over in that one instance.

• Love
Reactions: Rogue Proxy, WrongPlaceWrongTime, Foresight and 4 others
WoAiGou

WoAiGou

Stalinist
Dec 16, 2021
I agree with you, all defense mechanism so people can grapple with how utterly disgusting and cruel life is.

The greatest salvation is never having been born.

Reactions: Rogue Proxy, WrongPlaceWrongTime, Life sucks and 2 others
Depressed Cat

Depressed Cat

Mage
Jan 4, 2022
Life can cause so much pain and suffering even to those who are born as normal humans, until death comes along (or we go in search of it) to end it all.

I can only imagine the terrible pain and suffering that those who are born with disabilities (physical or mental) or those who get disabled have to suffer everyday. :aw:

Yes, what they achieve in Paralympics and in other fields is praiseworthy and reflects exemplary hard work put in by them.

However, the mainstream media and others show only one side of the story, their successes. They never even attempt to show the pain, suffering, despair and difficulties they experience everyday of their lives, in a world that discriminates against them and denies them opportunities because of their disabilities. This is more true in Third World hellholes and somewhat less so in the First World.

As some wise soul stated, Sleep is good, death is better; but of course, the best thing would to have never been born at all!

• Love
Reactions: WoAiGou, WrongPlaceWrongTime, Life sucks and 2 others
WrongPlaceWrongTime

WrongPlaceWrongTime

Better never to have been
Jul 4, 2021
Yeah or like those feel-good videos of an animal being rescued from a horrible situation, which only could have happened with an immense amount of suffering in the first place. I just feel bad that it ever happened (and still happens all over the place) instead of being happy that it's over in that one instance.
99% of the time the 'rescuer' prioritizes getting the 'rescue' done on camera. Can't get those brownie points otherwise

• Aww..
Reactions: waitingforrest, WoAiGou, Rogue Proxy and 4 others