gogoprince

gogoprince

Dec 19, 2021
Pretty much says it all in the topic: I used to volunteer on the Crisis Text Line, but stopped because of hangups with their "Active Rescue" policy that felt a little too much like "police surveillance". If anyone here is a current, or previous volunteer for an org that is categorically opposed to this I would love to talk to you/hear your thoughts. Posting this is recovery because I feel like this has been part of my recovery: talking to other people about their struggles, but I can repost elsewhere if this seems inaccurate to folks. Thanks!

• Love
Reactions: chloramine and lionetta12
Dot

Dot

Info abt typng styl on prfle.
Sep 26, 2021
Slf usd 2 volntr on c.t.b ht-lne & polce wre nt calld unlss givn xprss permssn
U.k.

Reactions: chloramine
gogoprince

gogoprince

Dec 19, 2021
I should have mentioned I'm also in the US! I believe in the UK its not too farfetched for suicide hotlines to only contact police if you expressly request them to. I'm not sure logistically if I could volunteer for a UK organization in that capacity, and honestly, I'm not sure if I'd want to. Part of the process inevitably involves recommending resources to the caller and I wouldn't know what kind of resources are available in the UK!

I should have been more specific! Good to know that there are still the Samaritans and other orgs in the UK that aren't using the police!

N

noaccount

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2019
Samaritans NYC:
"We are completely confidential and do not use caller ID, so you can choose to remain anonymous if you wish. - Samaritans does not utilize caller ID or any form of call-tracing, making Samaritans a safe place to turn during a time of distress or crisis."
They don't do 'active rescue.'

(Neither does Trans Lifeline but that's transgender people specific.)

gogoprince

gogoprince

Dec 19, 2021
Thank you! I knew there were other Samaritans chapters in the US. I honestly just didn't know about whether I had to be regionally specific? I just dropped my info on the volunteer part of their website though so hopefully someone gets back to me.

Thanks for the tip and I hope you all are doing well on your journey to recovery.

• Love
Reactions: noaccount