Futile

Futile

Tired of being lonely
Sep 3, 2020
On November 25 1970 japanese writer Yukio Mishima chose this act to protest against the westernization of Japan following the defeat in WW2

Apart from his motivations, this goes to show the difference between cultures as related to suicide. Japanese culture has a very stronog emphasis on the honour and value of suicide, as seen in the samurai but also in the kamikaze dutring WW2.

Here in the west instead suicide is always seen as something done by cowardice. Christianity has always put a very strong emphasis on the sacrety of life and condemned taking one's life for this very reason. However in the bible there are cases of "good" people killing themselves and even the figure of martyrs is very similar to the samurais: both preferred death to an unworthy life where they couldn't live as they believed

Sadly, that same westernization he was protesting against now rules the world and suicide is a taboo almost everywhere

• Informative
Reactions: vampire2002, Moon Flower, peacechoice and 6 others
StateOfMind

StateOfMind

Liberty or Death
Apr 30, 2020
Well said.
Globalization and capitalism have destroyed most concepts of honor.
Even and especially in death.

Reactions: Moon Flower, Metalhead, LenkaX and 2 others
VisionsOfHell

VisionsOfHell

Experienced
Oct 31, 2020
I have great respect for that man. He was willing to die for what he believed in, kinda like socrates. I'm sure they both felt very good in their last moments, knowing that they will be remembered for centuries to come.

Reactions: Metalhead, Eatyourveggies12 and virginiawoolf86
yetme

yetme

Arcanist
Oct 20, 2019
I was always wondering what it's like to live in country where suicide is a part of their culture. Anyone from Japan here?

Reactions: deleted
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
Seppuku is supposedly actually a relatively recent addition to Japanese culture that was inflated by wartime propaganda into being more important than it actually was. Suicide was never actually an explicit part of the samurai code, only implied to be a last measure when caught by your enemies. Even in World War II suicide was still sort of frowned upon because it was something you were forced to do for your country or face great shame. If you were pushed to suicide, you're basically admitting you're a loser.

I doubt any of us would commit suicide in the name of our country. Most of us are suicidal BECAUSE of the country we live in. The Japanese values may be pro suicide but they are NOT pro choice.

Last edited:
Reactions: the_final_countdown and Silenos
ZardozOmega

ZardozOmega

Narcissist Gay NEET-cel
Mar 4, 2020
I'm actually glad for westernization. It's mostly positive. Certainly better than what Japan was doing in the late 30s.

Reactions: Good4Nothing
LenkaX

LenkaX

Maybe there is a hope!
Aug 14, 2020
I'm actually glad for westernization. It's mostly positive. Certainly better than what Japan was doing in the late 30s.
If this included the possibility of euthanasia for all who suffer (mentally or physically), then I would agree 100%.

hoping to lose hope

hoping to lose hope

<3 Message me to trade music <3
Nov 14, 2020
I was always wondering what it's like to live in country where suicide is a part of their culture. Anyone from Japan here?
日本語話せますか??? (・_・;)

hoping to lose hope

hoping to lose hope

<3 Message me to trade music <3
Nov 14, 2020
日本人じゃない。でも、二年間日本語を勉強しています。と言えば自殺はひきこもりだからと思います。
Are you hikikomori? I get those vibes from your posts to be honest.
Someone well acquainted with internet culture as a whole.
I think japanese have a high suicide rate due to their culture sadly which has many terrible aspects only someone ignorant would view their media and romanticize japan.

Reactions: crybaby and KuriGohan&Kamehameha