• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

StateOfMind

StateOfMind

Liberty or Death
Apr 30, 2020
Decided to refine the thread: https://sanctioned-suicide.net/threads/exceptionally-smart-people-that-ctbd.49509/#post-899964

In no particular order. In red the method.

Aaron Swartz
Aaron Hillel Swartz (November 8, 1986 – January 11, 2013) was an American computer programmer, entrepreneur, writer, political organizer, and Internet hacktivist.

On the evening of January 11, 2013, Swartz's girlfriend, Taren Stinebrickner-Kauffman, found him dead in his Brooklyn apartment. A spokeswoman for New York's Medical Examiner reported that he had hanged himself.

Walter Benjamin
Walter Bendix Schönflies Benjamin (15 July 1892 – 26 September 1940) was a German Jewish philosopher, cultural critic and essayist.

Expecting repatriation to Nazi hands, Benjamin killed himself with an overdose of morphine tablets that night, while staying at the Hotel de Francia; the official Portbou register records 26 September 1940 as the date of death.

Vincent Van Gogh
Vincent Willem van Gogh (30 March 1853 – 29 July 1890) was a Dutch post-impressionist painter who is among the most famous and influential figures in the history of Western art.

His depression continued and on 27 July 1890, Van Gogh shot himself in the chest with a Lefaucheux revolver.

Your mom

Robin Williams
Robin McLaurin Williams (July 21, 1951 – August 11, 2014) was an American actor and comedian.

The final autopsy report, released in November 2014, concluded that he "died of asphyxia due to hanging".

Kurt Gödel
Kurt Friedrich Gödel (April 28, 1906 – January 14, 1978) was a logician, mathematician, and analytic philosopher.

He had an obsessive fear of being poisoned; he would eat only food that his wife, Adele, prepared for him. Late in 1977, she was hospitalized for six months and could subsequently no longer prepare her husband's food. In her absence, he refused to eat, eventually starving to death.

Alan Turing
Alan Mathison Turing OBE FRS (23 June 1912 – 7 June 1954) was an English mathematician, computer scientist, logician, cryptanalyst, philosopher, and theoretical biologist.

On 8 June 1954, Turing's housekeeper found him dead at the age of 41; he had died the previous day. Cyanide poisoning was established as the cause of death.

Lembit Oll
Lembit Oll (23 April 1966 – 17 May 1999) was an Estonian chess grandmaster.

He committed suicide on 17 May 1999 by jumping out of a window of his fourth-floor apartment in Tallinn.

Gérard de Nerval
Gerard Cecil de Van Nerval (22 May 1808 – 26 January 1855) was the nom de plume of the French writer, poet, and translator Gerard Labrunie, a major figure of French romanticism, best known for his novellas and poems, especially the collection Les Filles du feu (The Daughters of Fire), which included the novella Sylvie and the poem "El Desdichado".

Increasingly poverty-stricken and disoriented, he committed suicide during the night of 26 January 1855, by hanging himself from the bar of a cellar window in the rue de la Vieille-Lanterne, a narrow lane in a squalid section of Paris.

Seneca the Younger
Lucius Annaeus Seneca (4 BC – AD 65), also known as Seneca the Younger, was a Hispano-Roman Stoic philosopher, statesman, dramatist, and—in one work—satirist from the Silver Age of Latin literature.

Although it is unlikely that Seneca was part of the conspiracy, Nero ordered him to kill himself. Seneca followed tradition by severing several veins in order to bleed to death, and his wife Pompeia Paulina attempted to share his fate.

Philip Mainlander
Philipp Mainländer (October 5, 1841 – April 1, 1876) was a German poet and philosopher.

Mehtod: unknown

Otto Weininger
Otto Weininger (3 April 1880 – 4 October 1903) was an Austrian thinker who lived in the Austro-Hungarian Empire.

Am Morgen des 4. Oktober wurde er sterbend in seinem Zimmer aufgefunden. Er hatte sich eine Kugel ins Herz geschossen. Otto Weininger starb um halb elf Uhr vormittags im Wiener Allgemeinen Krankenhaus in der Alser Straße.

He shot himslef in the heart.

Ludwig Boltzmann
Ludwig Eduard Boltzmann (February 20, 1844 – September 5, 1906) was an Austrian physicist and philosopher.

Four months later he died by suicide on September 5, 1906, by hanging himself while on vacation with his wife and daughter in Duino, near Trieste (then Austria).

Simone Weil
Simone Adolphine Weil (3 February 1909 – 24 August 1943) was a French philosopher, mystic, and political activist. The mathematician André Weil was her brother.

The coroner's report said that "the deceased did kill and slay herself by refusing to eat whilst the balance of her mind was disturbed".

Gilles Deleuze
Gilles Deleuze (18 January 1925 – 4 November 1995) was a French philosopher who, from the early 1950s until his death in 1995, wrote on philosophy, literature, film, and fine art.

In the last years of his life, simple tasks such as writing required laborious effort. On 4 November 1995, he committed suicide, throwing himself from the window of his apartment.

Yukio Mishima
Yukio Mishima[a] (January 14, 1925 – November 25, 1970) was a Japanese author, poet, playwright, actor, model, film director, imperialist, shintoist, nationalist, and founder of the Tatenokai (楯の会, "Shield Society").

He finished his planned speech after a few minutes, and after cried out three times, Tenno-heika Banzai! (天皇陛下万歳, "Long live the Emperor!"), returned to the commandant's office and apologized to the commandant and said "We did it to return the JSDF to the Emperor. I had no choice but to do this", and performed seppuku.

Sylvia Plath
Sylvia Plath (October 27, 1932 – February 11, 1963) was an American poet, novelist, and short-story writer.

They found Plath dead of carbon monoxide poisoning with her head in the oven, having sealed the rooms between her and her sleeping children with tape, towels and cloths.

Hunter S. Thompson
Hunter Stockton Thompson (July 18, 1937 – February 20, 2005) was an American journalist and author, and the founder of the gonzo journalism movement.

At 5:42 pm on February 20, 2005, Thompson died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head at Owl Farm, his "fortified compound" in Woody Creek, Colorado.

Arthur Koestler
Arthur Koestler, CBE (5 September 1905 – 1 March 1983) was a Hungarian British author and journalist.

Koestler and Cynthia killed themselves on the evening of 1 March 1983 with overdoses of the barbiturate Tuinal taken with alcohol. Their bodies were discovered on the morning of 3 March, by which time they had been dead for 36 hours.

Virginia Woolf
Adeline Virginia Woolf (25 January 1882 – 28 March 1941) was an English writer, considered one of the most important modernist 20th century authors and also a pioneer in the use of stream of consciousness as a narrative device.

On 28 March 1941, Woolf drowned herself by filling her overcoat pockets with stones and walking into the River Ouse near her home.

Kurt Cobain
Kurt Donald Cobain (February 20, 1967 – April 5, 1994) was an American singer-songwriter and musician, best known as the guitarist, primary songwriter and frontman of the rock band Nirvana.

On April 8, Cobain's body was discovered at his Lake Washington Boulevard home by electrician Gary Smith, who had arrived to install a security system. Apart from a minor amount of blood coming out of Cobain's ear, the electrician reported seeing no visible signs of trauma and initially believed that Cobain was asleep until he saw the shotgun pointing at his chin.

Jim Morrison
James Douglas Morrison (December 8, 1943 – July 3, 1971) was an American singer, songwriter and poet, who served as the lead vocalist of the rock band The Doors.

The official cause of death was listed as heart failure, although no autopsy was performed, as it was not required by French law. It has also been reported, by several individuals who say they were eyewitnesses, that his death was due to an accidental heroin overdose.

Ernest Hemingway
Ernest Miller Hemingway (July 21, 1899 – July 2, 1961) was an American journalist, novelist, short-story writer, and sportsman. His economical and understated style—which he termed the iceberg theory—had a strong influence on 20th-century fiction, while his adventurous lifestyle and his public image brought him admiration from later generations.

He was released in late June and arrived home in Ketchum on June 30; he then "quite deliberately" shot himself with his favorite shotgun in the early morning hours of July 2, 1961.

Klara Dan von Neumann
Klára (Klari) Dán von Neumann (born Klára Dán; 18 August 1911 – 10 November 1963) was a Hungarian-American computer scientist, noted as one of the first computer programmers.

She died in 1963 when she drove from her home in La Jolla to the beach and walked into the surf and drowned. The San Diego coroner's office listed her death as a suicide.

Thank you: @Nature_is_God , @almost_dead , @worried_to_death , @karaboudjan , @Sherri , @Chupacabra 44 for contributions!

In honor of all cool people that don't have a wiki page that made some meaningful contributions to life and death.

Further reading: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Scientists_who_committed_suicide

Last edited:
CrazyMary

CrazyMary

Student
Sep 20, 2020
I agree. Don´t know if they are on that level but for me as a music lover I will always think of Chris Cornell and Michael Hutchence which both hang themselves.
Wow, just goes to show mental illness really don't give a sh*t.
If you dig on most cases of true artist they had a certain mental illness or suffered a lot in their lives. Ex. Bono seems doing ok, his mom died when he was 16. Eddie Vedder, never met his dad. Lennon and McCartney both lost their moms. List goes on....

Last edited:
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
I laughed out loud at Your mom. Nothing like a good your mom joke.

Hope it doesn't trigger someone whose mom actually ctb'd, I know there have been members who lost a mother to suicide.

Green Destiny

Green Destiny

Life isn't worth the trouble.
Nov 16, 2019
I think you can add Marilyn Monroe to this list, died from an OD of barbiturate's. It's these kinds of people that make me think: You can have it all, smarts, money, friends, popularity and fame and still wish to walk away from this life. It's why I believe people should have the right to choose when they wish to CTB.

StateOfMind

StateOfMind

Liberty or Death
Apr 30, 2020
I think you can add Marilyn Monroe to this list, died from an OD of barbiturate's. It's these kinds of people that make me think: You can have it all, smarts, money, friends, popularity and fame and still wish to walk away from this life. It's why I believe people should have the right to choose when they wish to CTB.

StateOfMind

StateOfMind

Liberty or Death
Apr 30, 2020
We all have our own reason/s to suicide. But suicide is scary and some of us need some extra motivation to do the act. Those who suicide before us could be used for this.
This was definitely one of my motivations for making this list.
I don't consider myself as particularly intelligent.
Nevertheless, I can relate to a bunch of people on this list.
This seems to help overcome SI but we may need more mental tools if your not in immediate danger like becoming homeless very soon for example.

Hofmann43

Hofmann43

Oct 3, 2020
It is debatable whether Van Gogh shot himself or was shot accidentally but nevertheless a great artist

• Love
Reactions: Lithium
death137

death137

miserable
Jun 25, 2020
This was definitely one of my motivations for making this list.
I don't consider myself as particularly intelligent.
Nevertheless, I can relate to a bunch of people on this list.
This seems to help overcome SI but we may need more mental tools if your not in immediate danger like becoming homeless very soon for example.
Yeah being in desperate state is a great tool to overcome SI. I made a thread about telling your big secrets as a means to overcome SI. People didn't agreed but I think its a good tool.

R

Rollsjack

Oct 5, 2020
I agree. Don´t know if they are on that level but for me as a music lover I will always think of Chris Cornell and Michael Hutchence which both hang themselves.

If you dig on most cases of true artist they had a certain mental illness or suffered a lot in their lives. Ex. Bono seems doing ok, his mom died when he was 16. Eddie Vedder, never met his dad. Lennon and McCartney both lost their moms. List goes on....
Chester Bennington

Mm80

Mm80

Enlightened
May 15, 2019
Decided to refine the thread: https://sanctioned-suicide.net/threads/exceptionally-smart-people-that-ctbd.49509/#post-899964

In no particular order. In red the method.

Aaron Swartz
Aaron Hillel Swartz (November 8, 1986 – January 11, 2013) was an American computer programmer, entrepreneur, writer, political organizer, and Internet hacktivist.

On the evening of January 11, 2013, Swartz's girlfriend, Taren Stinebrickner-Kauffman, found him dead in his Brooklyn apartment. A spokeswoman for New York's Medical Examiner reported that he had hanged himself.

Walter Benjamin
Walter Bendix Schönflies Benjamin (15 July 1892 – 26 September 1940) was a German Jewish philosopher, cultural critic and essayist.

Expecting repatriation to Nazi hands, Benjamin killed himself with an overdose of morphine tablets that night, while staying at the Hotel de Francia; the official Portbou register records 26 September 1940 as the date of death.

Vincent Van Gogh
Vincent Willem van Gogh (30 March 1853 – 29 July 1890) was a Dutch post-impressionist painter who is among the most famous and influential figures in the history of Western art.

His depression continued and on 27 July 1890, Van Gogh shot himself in the chest with a Lefaucheux revolver.

Your mom

Robin Williams
Robin McLaurin Williams (July 21, 1951 – August 11, 2014) was an American actor and comedian.

The final autopsy report, released in November 2014, concluded that he "died of asphyxia due to hanging".

Kurt Gödel
Kurt Friedrich Gödel (April 28, 1906 – January 14, 1978) was a logician, mathematician, and analytic philosopher.

He had an obsessive fear of being poisoned; he would eat only food that his wife, Adele, prepared for him. Late in 1977, she was hospitalized for six months and could subsequently no longer prepare her husband's food. In her absence, he refused to eat, eventually starving to death.

Alan Turing
Alan Mathison Turing OBE FRS (23 June 1912 – 7 June 1954) was an English mathematician, computer scientist, logician, cryptanalyst, philosopher, and theoretical biologist.

On 8 June 1954, Turing's housekeeper found him dead at the age of 41; he had died the previous day. Cyanide poisoning was established as the cause of death.

Lembit Oll
Lembit Oll (23 April 1966 – 17 May 1999) was an Estonian chess grandmaster.

He committed suicide on 17 May 1999 by jumping out of a window of his fourth-floor apartment in Tallinn.

Gérard de Nerval
Gerard Cecil de Van Nerval (22 May 1808 – 26 January 1855) was the nom de plume of the French writer, poet, and translator Gerard Labrunie, a major figure of French romanticism, best known for his novellas and poems, especially the collection Les Filles du feu (The Daughters of Fire), which included the novella Sylvie and the poem "El Desdichado".

Increasingly poverty-stricken and disoriented, he committed suicide during the night of 26 January 1855, by hanging himself from the bar of a cellar window in the rue de la Vieille-Lanterne, a narrow lane in a squalid section of Paris.

Seneca the Younger
Lucius Annaeus Seneca (4 BC – AD 65), also known as Seneca the Younger, was a Hispano-Roman Stoic philosopher, statesman, dramatist, and—in one work—satirist from the Silver Age of Latin literature.

Although it is unlikely that Seneca was part of the conspiracy, Nero ordered him to kill himself. Seneca followed tradition by severing several veins in order to bleed to death, and his wife Pompeia Paulina attempted to share his fate.

Philip Mainlander
Philipp Mainländer (October 5, 1841 – April 1, 1876) was a German poet and philosopher.

Mehtod: unknown

Otto Weininger
Otto Weininger (3 April 1880 – 4 October 1903) was an Austrian thinker who lived in the Austro-Hungarian Empire.

Am Morgen des 4. Oktober wurde er sterbend in seinem Zimmer aufgefunden. Er hatte sich eine Kugel ins Herz geschossen. Otto Weininger starb um halb elf Uhr vormittags im Wiener Allgemeinen Krankenhaus in der Alser Straße.

He shot himslef in the heart.

Ludwig Boltzmann
Ludwig Eduard Boltzmann (February 20, 1844 – September 5, 1906) was an Austrian physicist and philosopher.

Four months later he died by suicide on September 5, 1906, by hanging himself while on vacation with his wife and daughter in Duino, near Trieste (then Austria).

Simone Weil
Simone Adolphine Weil (3 February 1909 – 24 August 1943) was a French philosopher, mystic, and political activist. The mathematician André Weil was her brother.

The coroner's report said that "the deceased did kill and slay herself by refusing to eat whilst the balance of her mind was disturbed".

Gilles Deleuze
Gilles Deleuze (18 January 1925 – 4 November 1995) was a French philosopher who, from the early 1950s until his death in 1995, wrote on philosophy, literature, film, and fine art.

In the last years of his life, simple tasks such as writing required laborious effort. On 4 November 1995, he committed suicide, throwing himself from the window of his apartment.

Yukio Mishima
Yukio Mishima[a] (January 14, 1925 – November 25, 1970) was a Japanese author, poet, playwright, actor, model, film director, imperialist, shintoist, nationalist, and founder of the Tatenokai (楯の会, "Shield Society").

He finished his planned speech after a few minutes, and after cried out three times, Tenno-heika Banzai! (天皇陛下万歳, "Long live the Emperor!"), returned to the commandant's office and apologized to the commandant and said "We did it to return the JSDF to the Emperor. I had no choice but to do this", and performed seppuku.

Sylvia Plath
Sylvia Plath (October 27, 1932 – February 11, 1963) was an American poet, novelist, and short-story writer.

They found Plath dead of carbon monoxide poisoning with her head in the oven, having sealed the rooms between her and her sleeping children with tape, towels and cloths.

Hunter S. Thompson
Hunter Stockton Thompson (July 18, 1937 – February 20, 2005) was an American journalist and author, and the founder of the gonzo journalism movement.

At 5:42 pm on February 20, 2005, Thompson died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head at Owl Farm, his "fortified compound" in Woody Creek, Colorado.

Arthur Koestler
Arthur Koestler, CBE (5 September 1905 – 1 March 1983) was a Hungarian British author and journalist.

Koestler and Cynthia killed themselves on the evening of 1 March 1983 with overdoses of the barbiturate Tuinal taken with alcohol. Their bodies were discovered on the morning of 3 March, by which time they had been dead for 36 hours.

Virginia Woolf
Adeline Virginia Woolf (25 January 1882 – 28 March 1941) was an English writer, considered one of the most important modernist 20th century authors and also a pioneer in the use of stream of consciousness as a narrative device.

On 28 March 1941, Woolf drowned herself by filling her overcoat pockets with stones and walking into the River Ouse near her home.

Kurt Cobain
Kurt Donald Cobain (February 20, 1967 – April 5, 1994) was an American singer-songwriter and musician, best known as the guitarist, primary songwriter and frontman of the rock band Nirvana.

On April 8, Cobain's body was discovered at his Lake Washington Boulevard home by electrician Gary Smith, who had arrived to install a security system. Apart from a minor amount of blood coming out of Cobain's ear, the electrician reported seeing no visible signs of trauma and initially believed that Cobain was asleep until he saw the shotgun pointing at his chin.

Jim Morrison
James Douglas Morrison (December 8, 1943 – July 3, 1971) was an American singer, songwriter and poet, who served as the lead vocalist of the rock band The Doors.

The official cause of death was listed as heart failure, although no autopsy was performed, as it was not required by French law. It has also been reported, by several individuals who say they were eyewitnesses, that his death was due to an accidental heroin overdose.

Ernest Hemingway
Ernest Miller Hemingway (July 21, 1899 – July 2, 1961) was an American journalist, novelist, short-story writer, and sportsman. His economical and understated style—which he termed the iceberg theory—had a strong influence on 20th-century fiction, while his adventurous lifestyle and his public image brought him admiration from later generations.

He was released in late June and arrived home in Ketchum on June 30; he then "quite deliberately" shot himself with his favorite shotgun in the early morning hours of July 2, 1961.

Klara Dan von Neumann
Klára (Klari) Dán von Neumann (born Klára Dán; 18 August 1911 – 10 November 1963) was a Hungarian-American computer scientist, noted as one of the first computer programmers.

She died in 1963 when she drove from her home in La Jolla to the beach and walked into the surf and drowned. The San Diego coroner's office listed her death as a suicide.

Thank you: @Nature_is_God , @almost_dead , @worried_to_death , @karaboudjan , @Sherri , @Chupacabra 44 for contributions!

In honor of all cool people that don't have a wiki page that made some meaningful contributions to life and death.

Further reading: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Scientists_who_committed_suicide
Im just grateful that my old mum was in the list with some quite fine people. P,us ive now got an image in my head of her on top of robin williams. @almost_dead

Sinkinshyp

Sinkinshyp

Paragon
Sep 7, 2020
Im just grateful that my old mum was in the list with some quite fine people. P,us ive now got an image in my head of her on top of robin williams. @almost_dead

you always make me half smile. Imaging my mom on Robin Williams- was quite a sight I can't unsee now....

Reactions: StateOfMind
Ren Elsie Jewelria

Ren Elsie Jewelria

I sneezed!
Aug 30, 2020
Also Stevie Ryan, Chester Bennington (Linkin Park),
Dolores O'Riordan (The Cranberries),
Keith Flint (The Prodigy), Ian Curtis (Joy Division).

Viro_Major

Viro_Major

Rad maker
Jul 30, 2020
Adolf Hitler. Dare to argue you regret his act as unjustified

Last edited:
Viro_Major

Viro_Major

Rad maker
Jul 30, 2020
He was inspirational for sure...
Meant as irony towards death fascination, pragmatically there's no better role model to find :wink: Hope ya'll committed enough sins to pretend for a place in the queue line

Last edited: