• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

L

LittleJem

Visionary
Jul 3, 2019
I've been watching Homeland for the first time, and the Queen's Gambit - and it is helping me to see people struggling with mental illness on screen. Though with my mental illness at the moment, I am not functioning that well - let alone winning chess tournaments/spying!

Do you have any to recommend?

Reactions: Mentalmick
Mentalmick

Mentalmick

IMHOTEP!!!
Nov 30, 2020
Probably Galvatron from the Transformers. He even got sectioned at one point. He ended up escaping and blowing up the whole planet/asteroid. Which is much better than being discharged.

• Love
Reactions: LittleJem
Good4Nothing

Good4Nothing

Unlovable
May 8, 2020
The Guardians of the Galaxy.
They may not necessarily have mental illnesses, but they're all burdened and damaged and broken, like me.

CoalmineCanary

CoalmineCanary

Jul 15, 2020
Good story. Terrible trailer. Not necessarily a "favourite" but it can be helpful with conversations and insights about mental illness among the brilliant minded. It's been a while so I can't remember much. I'll have to re-watch myself.

L

LittleJem

Visionary
Jul 3, 2019
Good story. Terrible trailer. Not necessarily a "favourite" but it can be helpful with conversations and insights about mental illness among the brilliant minded. It's been a while so I can't remember much. I'll have to re-watch myself.

Thank you - it says 'video not available' to me - what's the name of the film?

Reactions: Weary Soul
Weary Soul

Weary Soul

Soon I will be free
Nov 13, 2019
I loved Queen's Gambit, they portrayed mental illness extremely well I thought..

A Beautiful Mind (as @LittleJem noted above) was also an awesome movie.

I also love Good Will Hunting. The outcome of hardcore abuse, and how one man helped heal him. I liked the entire movie, but in particular this scene:

K-O

K-O

FU(KOFFEE
Apr 16, 2020
series from the top of me head..
sharp objects. Hannibal. mr robot. the alienist. the virtues. united states of tarra. the outsider. taboo. fleabag. killing eve. mr Mercedes. castle rock. the act. ratched...
x

Reactions: demuic and stygal
Good4Nothing

Good4Nothing

Unlovable
May 8, 2020
One Flew Over the CuCu's Nest

The original version of Jacob's Ladder
Jacobs Ladder wasn't about mental ilness, though. The guy died tripping on acid. Oops... spoiler, I guess.

But, yah - One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. One of my favorites since I was a kid.

Reactions: Weary Soul
signifying nothing

signifying nothing

-
Sep 13, 2020
Short Term 12
Quills
The Piano
Punch-Drunk Love
Cake
The Wall (Die Wand)

Last edited:
Weary Soul

Weary Soul

Soon I will be free
Nov 13, 2019
Jacobs Ladder wasn't about mental ilness, though. The guy died tripping on acid. Oops... spoiler, I guess.
I think this is one of those movies that can have multiple interpretations - it was pretty trippy just to watch without any kind of medicine/food that induces an altered state of consciousness (sorry, brain is tired and I am having trouble finding words).

One interpretation of the meaning of the movie is: "Mourning his dead child, a haunted Vietnam War veteran attempts to uncover his past while suffering from a severe case of dissociation. To do so, he must decipher reality and life from his own dreams, delusions, and perceptions of death."

This is why I listed it here.

Good4Nothing

Good4Nothing

Unlovable
May 8, 2020
I think this is one of those movies that can have multiple interpretations - it was pretty trippy just to watch without any kind of medicine/food that induces an altered state of consciousness (sorry, brain is tired and I am having trouble finding words).

One interpretation of the meaning of the movie is: "Mourning his dead child, a haunted Vietnam War veteran attempts to uncover his past while suffering from a severe case of dissociation. To do so, he must decipher reality and life from his own dreams, delusions, and perceptions of death."

This is why I listed it here.
I think that's less of an interpretation and more of a synopsis of what the movie appears to be without giving away the twist ending. By the end it's clear that all those years he spent at home haunted by demons were actually just a few hours tops of drug induced fever dream while he was dying in the jungle. His Vietnam flashbacks aren't flasbacks at all - those are moments he regains consciousness in the real world. You should watch it again.
I apologise if I come off argumentative. I don't mean to. I just love movies, and love talking about them.

Reactions: Mentalmick
stygal

stygal

low-wage worker
Oct 29, 2020
Elliot Alderson from Mr. Robot. Loved his character so much.

Reactions: K-O
Weary Soul

Weary Soul

Soon I will be free
Nov 13, 2019
I think that's less of an interpretation and more of a synopsis of what the movie appears to be without giving away the twist ending. By the end it's clear that all those years he spent at home haunted by demons were actually just a few hours tops of drug induced fever dream while he was dying in the jungle. His Vietnam flashbacks aren't flasbacks at all - those are moments he regains consciousness in the real world. You should watch it again.
I apologise if I come off argumentative. I don't mean to. I just love movies, and love talking about them.

I watched it a very long time ago, and you are right, I should watch it again to get a fresh perspective based on where I am now, with consideration to what you pointed out - the twist ending.

From what I remember, I think that the movie shows elements of mental illness (ignoring for the moment the twist ending).

No offense taken at all and I did not read argumentative in your post at all.

I learn and grow from different perspectives. Thank you for pointing this out.

<3

• Love
Reactions: Good4Nothing
CoalmineCanary

CoalmineCanary

Jul 15, 2020
Thank you - it says 'video not available' to me - what's the name of the film?

As mentioned by a another user I think, it's called "A Beautiful Mind".

For something lighter one can try the TV show "Monk" about a detective with mental health issues. It can get relatable in a funny and odd sort of way. Wouldn't call it a favourite but something to enjoy if you're in the mood.

Another movie to check out is "Girl, Interrupted" that might be of interest.

Last edited:
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
Lot of characters I like might have some form of mental illness but it's not outright stated so it wouldn't feel right to me to assume and make my own unqualified diagnoses.

BitterlyAlive_

BitterlyAlive_

-
Dec 8, 2020
For something lighter one can try the TV show "Monk" about a detective with mental health issues. It can get relatable in a funny and odd sort of way. Wouldn't call it a favourite but something to enjoy if you're in the mood.
Ah, my family loves this show. It reminds me of Split, personally. A very cliche, harmful way to show a mental illness imo...

Reactions: CoalmineCanary
T

TotallyIsolated

Mage
Nov 25, 2019
I haven't seen a character in film or television I really identified with. Its nice to see positive representation of mental illness, but these characters are usually relatable human beings with some tragic flaw that either doesn't hold them back or that they can overcome. There's no room in TV or movie land for the truly worthless or unlovable.