N

Nada

Jul 6, 2020
I do not agree with you on the whole men/women relationship thing, but I forgot to mention that I find this modern Sherlock pretty cool as well... You are also right to point out that I didn't state my favourite character. If we are to stay in the TV series world I love Saga Norèn from The Bridge. In books, which I prefer, I'd go for... la Marquise de Merteuil in Les liaisons dangereuses !
True--women are not the only ones, but I was specifically referring to the whole romance/sex thing. When it comes to that arena, women are vastly superior at playing the men as fools than the flip. Whether it's through flirtation, being physically attractive, or some other form of enticement , the number of men falling prey to women always outweighs the flip of that. It's just how we're wired I guess.

I believe you're referring to the Irish chick always dropping the innuendos? Sorry if I'm misremembering. Anyway yes, that's exactly what I find so cool about Cumberbatch's Sherlock! He's able to flip the tables and not only avoid being the hunted, but become the hunter himself.

Sounds about right, but it was more on an intellectual level than being a typical sex-crazed male chasing tail. Also I would still consider Sherlock as the hunter in that situation for a few reasons: he doesn't bang Irene, I don't think he wants to bang her, and he took her pulse when they were having a "moment", which ultimately leads to his victory over her both intellectually and sexually.

Also, you didn't state your favorite characters. :smiling:
I do not agree with you on the whole men/women relationship thing, but I forgot to mention that I find this modern Sherlock pretty cool as well... You are also right to point out that I didn't state my favourite character. If we are to stay in the TV series world I love Saga Norèn from The Bridge. In books, which I prefer, I'd go for... la Marquise de Merteuil in Les liaisons dangereuses !

Reactions: thereandgone and Philosykos
D

Deleted member 14386

I am not advising anything
Jan 28, 2020
Benedict Cumberbatch's Sherlock Holmes. He's a "high-functioning sociopath" who does not care for societal norms and is immune to the influence (manipulations) of women.
Have you read/listened to the books? Theres a great version on audible read by Stephen Fry, it's incredibly sexist racist etc! I was really surprised but that was the actual character, a near-sociopath opium smoking/shooting coke hardcore bare-fist boxer. If you sign up for the free trial you get 1 credit so yu can get the whole collection of books on audible! If you like Sherlock (Benedict Cumberbuttons) you'll like the books

• Love
Reactions: The end !
H

Heart Shards

The shards of my broken heart cut deep.
Feb 3, 2019
Roland Deschain and Randall Flagg/ Walter Paddick.

• Love
Reactions: The end ! and narval
Sinai Silence

Sinai Silence

I think I'ma die alone inside my room
Jul 6, 2020
My top three have to be Gandalf, Obi Wan Kenobi and Geralt of Rivia

• Love
Reactions: The end ! and Deleted member 19276
ArtySchopenhauer

ArtySchopenhauer

Jun 25, 2020
Milton's Satan.

• Love
Reactions: The end ! and Busdriver
agentgeez

agentgeez

Student
Jun 30, 2020
I'm a big fan of Ryoma Hoshi from Danganronpa V3; I'll be spoiling his character and the story a bit from here on out, but people who visit this forum in particular might find him relatable. The representation of his depression is relatable in that it's simply a lack of anything to live for. He can't conceive of a good thing happening because good things are when your hopes and dreams are fulfilled, of which he has none; part of my lack of desire to keep on living is that I don't even know what a good life for me would be because I don't really want anything. He didn't have any people in his life that were important enough to him to give him a reason to live. Of course, there was also the aspect of his actually fulfilling life being ripped away from him, but that backstory also serves to show that he has a certain idealism in him where he values meaningful aspects of life when he can actually find them. His perceptiveness of his surroundings and people shows this; he doesn't view things shallowly and was quite cynical about things like love until he experienced it for himself, which I think is another aspect of pessimism/nihilism that is often overlooked; people who think like this don't want things to be pointless, it's just that they can't accept reality being as cold and shallow as it really is. I reject the idea of romance because it doesn't match my idealised version of it, for example. I like Makoto for this reason too (where he says he doesn't want to simply move on from people's deaths, he wants to carry the pain because to move on is to forget about them for the sake of your own happiness). Of course, I'm also a fan of characters who are calm and intelligent (probably because I just think it would be badass to be like this in real life haha); he performs very well in his only trial and his objection quote ("The fog is lifted") indicates he experiences his own brain fog which probably interferes with his ability to think clearly, which I can relate to. It's just a shame he gets such a minor role. Other than that, there's a lot of other characters I like in fiction that I can't really remember off the top of my head, Ryoma is just the one that comes to mind.

• Love
Reactions: The end ! and Wrennie
T

thereandgone

Trying to close my loop
May 7, 2020
Have you read/listened to the books? Theres a great version on audible read by Stephen Fry, it's incredibly sexist racist etc! I was really surprised but that was the actual character, a near-sociopath opium smoking/shooting coke hardcore bare-fist boxer. If you sign up for the free trial you get 1 credit so yu can get the whole collection of books on audible! If you like Sherlock (Benedict Cumberbuttons) you'll like the books
Yes actually I have read the books/short stories (at least most of them). I'll need to revisit them one of these days when I have some extra time for fiction. Maybe I'll check out the audible versions; still never have done a free trial yet. Although I am not the best at listening to books on tape.

• Love
Reactions: The end ! and Deleted member 14386
torturedbylife

torturedbylife

Enemy of the world
May 2, 2020
Books:
Sherlock Holmes(Arthur Conan Doyle)
Hercule Poirot(Agatha Christie)

Anime:
Dazai Osamu(Bungou Stray Dogs)

Movie:
Friedhelm Winter(Generation War)

• Love
Reactions: charlottewilts, The end !, Wrennie and 1 other person
D

draw a circle

out.
Apr 10, 2020
Katsuki Yuuri from Yuri on Ice!! He's my favorite because he's relatable (anxiety and stress eating), talented, amazing, and also super cute. Then, Eren Jaeger from SNK. He's so angry and intense and I like him so much. Reigen Arataka from MP100 because he's a sad conman and I'm kinda into these dumb boys. Also Kaneki Ken when he was Kaneki because he's a nerd and I love him.

Peter Parker!! I love him! (except the MCU one) He's super smart and awkward and I can relate with the "brilliant but lazy" thing on Raimi's Spider Man 2. My favorite version of the movies is TASM.

Jesper from Six of Crows. He's funny and relatable because he fidgets a lot and supposedly has ADHD (not directly stated in the book, but it was implied that he's mentally unwell) and an amazing sharpshooter; he got a gambling addiction and kinda reckless but that's what makes him, him. He's trying to stop gambling at the end of the series, though. Good for him.

• Love
Reactions: The end ! and ocd is bad
ocd is bad

ocd is bad

-
Jun 26, 2020
I like Tyler Durden from Fight Club.
And he's double fictional because he's an imaginary character in a fictional movie, lol.
I like him because some of his speeches resonated with me. As far as the whole idea of fight club... I'm not crazy about guys going and beating the shit out of each other, but at it's base level it's a place for them to go to escape the drudgery of their lives, where the only thing they can do is work for their next paycheck. And I understand that. I appreciate how he doesn't allow himself to become another "slave to the system", even if it's through a relatively barbaric outlet.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: The end ! and Marchioness
K

Kain10th

May 7, 2020
Spock and Data from Star Trek

• Love
Reactions: The end ! and turin
ForcedLifeResistant

ForcedLifeResistant

Jul 12, 2020
In no particular order:

Robert Ford (WestWorld)
Dr. Manhattan (Watchman)
Agent Smith (The Matrix)
William Cutting (Gangs of New York)
"Father" (Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood)
Hanzee Dent (Fargo, season 3)
Motoko Kusanagi (Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex)
Elizabeth Jennings (The Americans)
Alucard (Hellsing: Ultimate)
Isaac (Castlevania)
etc.

Generally, characters with great resolve; terrible ambitions; self-reliance; pernicious intelligence; inimitable characters; a sense of disillusionment with the world, as it is

• Love
Reactions: The end !, Wrennie, sadworld and 1 other person
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you 🕯️ Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020
sharkboy and lavagirl. i loved the movie and they were my imaginary friends lol

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: The end !, sadworld and Marchioness
sarahR

sarahR

Experienced
Nov 11, 2020
Emile Hirsh as Alexandre Supertramp in the film into the wild.

• Love
StringPuppet

StringPuppet

Lost
Oct 5, 2020
Tony Soprano
Agent Dale Cooper
Huey Freeman

Last edited:
  • Love
Wraith

Wraith

Lost in The Void
Nov 4, 2020
Two-Face, especially the Telltale version
Senua, from Hellblade
Dr. House

• Love
StateOfMind

StateOfMind

Liberty or Death
Apr 30, 2020
Jesus

• Love
Reactions: The end !, 262653, Wrennie and 3 others
G

greebo6

Enlightened
Sep 11, 2020
Garfield

• Love
Reactions: The end ! and Skathon
LooksAtMoonDog

LooksAtMoonDog

Too Long in the Wasteland
Nov 10, 2020
Patrick Bateman, American Psycho*

Raoul Duke, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas*

Dean Moriarty, On the Road*

Simone Simonini, The Prague Cemetery

*From the books, not movies.

• Love
Reactions: The end !, Studio84 and stygal
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
Hmm, my favorite character... I wonder if my desktop background will shed some light?...

84w7yfbvclr41

• Love
Reactions: charlottewilts, The end ! and Wrennie
narval

narval

Enlightened
Jan 22, 2020
I can say a lot, but i'll try to do a short list:
High priest Hrathen (Elantris, book)
Roland of Gilead (Dark tower, books saga)
Greed and Olivier Mira Armstrong (full metal alchemist: brotherhood, anime)
Croaker (Black company, books saga)
Starr (Preacher comics. I didn't saw TV show)
Revy (Black lagoon, anime)
There is more, but i don't wanna think more :)

• Love
Deleted member 94

Deleted member 94

Wizard
Mar 24, 2018
Trpitaka, monkey, sandy, pigsy and horse from monkey magic the 1980s version.

All the good squad from Harry potter movies.

• Love
stygal

stygal

low-wage worker
Oct 29, 2020
Lisbeth Salander from the "Millennium" book series (or "the girl with the dragon tattoo") always resonated with me. Maybe because I see a lot of similarities in our pasts and wished I handled my abuse just as well and had become an overall badass. Being able to actually take revenge on everyone who wronged you must feel pretty liberating.

• Love
Reactions: The end !, DocNo and LooksAtMoonDog
Butterflyshadow

Butterflyshadow

Student
Nov 19, 2020
Kurapika HxH (anime)

• Love
Reactions: demuic, The end ! and Deleted member 17949
Gerard de Nerval

Gerard de Nerval

Ontologist
Oct 5, 2020
Richard III, Prospero, Iago, Caliban, pretty much any shakespeare character (excepting that trash gentleman from verona)

Dickens has a great plethora but Pickwick will always be close to my heart.

Prince Myshkin, Alyosha, Ivan, and Dmitri Karamazov are some of my favorite Dostoyevsky characters. There is no greater friendship than that of Tolstoy's Andrei and Pierre.

A couple more from Krasznahorkai's bleak masterpiece The Melancholy of Resistance, Valuska and the inestimable Professor Etszer.

• Love
signifying nothing

signifying nothing

-
Sep 13, 2020
Many of them, but if I were to mention one - Leeloo from the Fifth Element.

• Love
DocNo

DocNo

whatever
Oct 30, 2020
Ma-Ma from the movie "Dredd".

• Love
KuriGohan&Kamehameha

KuriGohan&Kamehameha

想死不能 - 想活不能
Nov 23, 2020
Data from Star Trek, Mikasa Ackerman from Attack on Titan and Makise Kurisu from Steins;Gate

• Love
Reactions: The end !, 262653, Wrennie and 1 other person
W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
Luffy from One Piece

• Love
Reactions: The end ! and KuriGohan&Kamehameha