P

PhDone

Student
Jul 29, 2024
Has anyone watched the Yale series on philosophy of death, last three lectures on ctb? Its available on You Tube. Found it really interesting, discussing rationality and morality of ctb and questioning conditionings around this - eg. Assuming life should just be valued for itself irrespective of whether its overwhelmingly good or bad. The lecturer also talks about how much of your life you expect to spend in a shit place. Is it worth just hoping for better if you're about to spend more time in suffering than having a positive life?

Keen to hear others thoughts if theyve seen it. It felt good having someone present some smart arguments and challenge the "just not ethical" assertion of society.

• Love
Reactions: wren-briar
C

chester

Experienced
Aug 1, 2024
I've watched the whole series. I liked it a lot, Shelly has a real gift for presenting the topic in an interesting way. It helped me a lot to systematize my own views. I'll admit, I agree with his view on non-existence of anything supernatural and us being just nothing more than bodies. It wasn't that he convinced me, because that had already been what I thought. He brought some order into my thinking though.

Assuming life should just be valued for itself irrespective of whether its overwhelmingly good or bad.
Here I'm a bit torn between neutral container theory and modest container theory. I'm leaning towards the latter, that the mere fact of being alive has some value, although in my opinion not enough to be sufficient on its own.
The lecturer also talks about how much of your life you expect to spend in a shit place.
I remember he told a story about someone who recovered from some terrible illness or injury. That person said, that in spite of their having recovered and being able to have a good life, they would still prefer death over the pain and suffering that led to their eventual recovery.
I find it very relatable to my situation.

• Love
Reactions: wren-briar
P

PhDone

Student
Jul 29, 2024
I've watched the whole series. I liked it a lot, Shelly has a real gift for presenting the topic in an interesting way. It helped me a lot to systematize my own views. I'll admit, I agree with his view on non-existence of anything supernatural and us being just nothing more than bodies. It wasn't that he convinced me, because that had already been what I thought. He brought some order into my thinking though.

Here I'm a bit torn between neutral container theory and modest container theory. I'm leaning towards the latter, that the mere fact of being alive has some value, although in my opinion not enough to be sufficient on its own.

I remember he told a story about someone who recovered from some terrible illness or injury. That person said, that in spite of their having recovered and being able to have a good life, they would still prefer death over the pain and suffering that led to their eventual recovery.
I find it very relatable to my situation.
Ordering my thoughts is totally spot on. It has helped me frame responses and help me feel like I have a good grasp on the reasoning. I agree I'm verging on the modest container too. I liked how he was able to answer religious dogma and say its not just about being afforded 'life'. There has to be a measure of that life. Like the pie analogy, dont just eat a pie youve been given if it tastes like shit.

Yeah I like that story too. So many people around me say I should be fighting or stepping thro my illness with more positive intent. But like the story, the experience now and of any years to come is going to inflict so much suffering that it would outweigh a potential few years of better life the other end. My condition has no treatment til someone finds something in research. The timeframe of languishing outweighs the benefit.

He's a clear and passionate lecturer, well paced and presented. Helped me find some peace with where I'm at with ctb too.

Reactions: chester
LunarLight

LunarLight

i'm a loser, a failure
Apr 3, 2024
Did not see them but it genuinely sounds interesting. What should I type in the YouTube search bar to find them? Do you have a link to give us?

P

PhDone

Student
Jul 29, 2024
Did not see them but it genuinely sounds interesting. What should I type in the YouTube search bar to find them? Do you have a link to give us?

It was super interesting. So well balanced too. I feel like a lot of us on here are tired battling social norms and values around death and ctb. It was great to have someone present with sound theoretical stance on it. Helped me formulate my thoughts heaps.

Reactions: Tonkpils
LunarLight

LunarLight

i'm a loser, a failure
Apr 3, 2024

It was super interesting. So well balanced too. I feel like a lot of us on here are tired battling social norms and values around death and ctb. It was great to have someone present with sound theoretical stance on it. Helped me formulate my thoughts heaps.

Thanks a lot!

Reactions: PhDone