• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Kramer

Kramer

Nervous wreck
Oct 27, 2020
Apparently, suicides are doing more killing than covid.

ZardozOmega

ZardozOmega

Narcissist Gay NEET-cel
Mar 4, 2020
Probably because the Japanese off themselves like crazy

Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
Apparently, suicides are doing more killing than covid.
That alone is an interesting enough headlines for the news I guess. It's about relativity. I'm sure if other major countries were killing themselves at the same rate they would have been on the news too.

Although if that's already happening then it could just because of the stereotypes related to Japan and suicide.

MrBlue

MrBlue

Arcanist
Jul 1, 2020
I think there's been quite a few Japanese and Korean celebrity deaths recently, so the reporting might be a byproduct of that if it's in the public limelight atm.

A

AutoTap

Elementalist
Nov 11, 2020
Lots of areas just don't publicly report suicides unless done by someone popular as it's not newsworthy or whatever.

To be fair tho if they reported majority of them news would just be about ctb

S

SuicidallyCurious

Enlightened
Dec 20, 2020
I think the western media takes a big interest in suicides there because the suicide culture there has always been eroticized to westerners. Westerners who are young enough to remember talking /w WW2 era vets would all have been told the stores of kamikaze, etc.

Many Japanese chose to go by train. It is not uncommon if you ride the tokyo mass transit system to see "Delay: Accident" on the screens that report
the status of the train system. I was explained by a japanese that these accidents are not derailments or random collisions with debris, they are almost always suicide. If you have a chance to visit japan take notice of this when you ride the public transit. You can also see on youtube about the suicide fences being installed but really these are just a massive joke, they don't stop anything just make it harder or force people to use different stations

Reactions: elfgyoza
Deleted member 94

Deleted member 94

Wizard
Mar 24, 2018
Suicide in Japan is considered an act of sacrifice so it's not stigmatized as it is in the west.

Reactions: profoundexperience
elfgyoza

elfgyoza

Cursed
Aug 5, 2019
Many countries have a higher suicide rate than Japan, I don't know why the media tries so hard to make people think it's worse there. I believe the reason why they're currently being reported is mostly down to when all the statistics are collated? E.g. In the UK you won't know how many died by suicide until next year at the earliest

Reactions: Øystein