T

Timetogo123

Jan 5, 2021
There's good cheese and heavy food...pies, stews, steamed puddings, we have good quality meat and better animal welfare. English Strawberries, Kent apples and our root vegetables are second to none.

The UK has always had food from the world due to the commonwealth and unfortunate slave trade (not saying it as a good thing, I'm just saying why) so has always had food and dishes from around the world.

Reactions: LONE WOLF.
I

idontknow42

Jan 31, 2021
I find it difficult to understand how so many people don't mind living in the UK. The UK in my opinion is just TERRIBLE.

The weather is always cloudy/gloomy. Everything literally seems grey? The people are horrible. *Don't believe anyone that says otherwise, the UK is a country where people will act nice to your face, but completely chat shit the second you're gone.

I don't know. This country is not for me. The only thing keeping me alive is the idea of moving out of this shit-hole and trying to start a new life elsewhere. If you refused me the right to do that, you will find my body somewhere tonight. I REFUSE TO LIVE HERE MUCH LONGER.

• Hugs
Reactions: Endex, newave3 and loopylou
lofticries

lofticries

obedear
Feb 27, 2021
The people are horrible. *Don't believe anyone that says otherwise, the UK is a country where people will act nice to your face, but completely chat shit the second you're gone.
I thought people in the uk were more blunt and straight forward. Its in the states where everyone is nice but fake.

Reactions: newave3
kane

kane

Student
Jun 26, 2020
We're less religious (a significant deterrent), and we have far fewer guns (an obvious method) than other English speakers. We're also significantly more emotionally repressed. And it's cloudy for most of the year here, so that probably contributes. Also, we're a post-imperial nation struggling to find a sense of national identity in the glorious globalised neoliberal paradise we find ourselves in. Our primary exports are banking, arms, and withering sarcasm. So there's that.

C

Canon1

Student
Dec 2, 2019
Although I was born and raised in the U.S., I have always been a bit of an AnglophIle. Perhaps it is because I am half Irish and half English.
The British have always been the most musically talented people on earth. The Beatles, the Stones,Queen,Elton John ...the list is endless.
Monty Python is funny as hell. If you want a great movie about about the Titanic, check out " A Night To Remember"....made by a British studio based on a book by Walter Lord. There are many other great British movies.
One of the first things I noticed when I joined SS was large amount of members from the UK. It's a damn shame a country that has given the world so much culture and civility has seemingly so many suicidal people. I guess the " keep a stiff upper lip " mentality is not good for for mental health.
Plus that has stolen so much wealth from the world.

newave3

newave3

I want out
Nov 21, 2020
Plus that has stolen so much wealth from the world.

That's the other side of the coin. I'm certainly not going to defend colonizers that looted resources from poor nations like India but England was not alone. Spain looted South America and Portugal looted Brazil. In fact since the beginning of mankind all advanced civilizations have sought to expand and enrich themselves at the expense of other nations and cultures.

Reactions: Endex and Sprite_Geist
GarageKarate07

GarageKarate07

Wizard
Aug 18, 2020
The Royal Reptillian Lizard People fund the site. I thought everybody knew that?

L

loopylou

Learn to fly
Jan 11, 2021
The weather is rain / wind/ rain & wind
Roughly 6 weeks of sunshine
Low wages/ high living costs
Boring food and ' culture'
High crime rates
I thought people in the uk were more blunt and straight forward. Its in the states where everyone is nice but fake.
i am one of these blunt people there isn't many of us. I don't have female friends for this reason.

• Hugs
Reactions: TessB and lofticries
T

TessB

Warlock
Oct 13, 2020
The weather is rain / wind/ rain & wind
Roughly 6 weeks of sunshine
Low wages/ high living costs
Boring food and ' culture'
High crime rates

i am one of these blunt people there isn't many of us. I don't have female friends for this reason.
You have me! :heart:

W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
You're both beautiful @loopylou and @TessB.

It's a pleasure to have you on SS! :)

• Love
Reactions: TessB and loopylou
M

MaybeSoon

Experienced
Oct 11, 2019
For me it's the government, the lack of mental health care and the general bigotry of the population. (I'm basing this on voting trends so could be wrong) I feel like most the UK are brainwashed by certain tabloids and I hate it. The weather is also mostly diabolical all year round and the countryside is overrated and mainly unatural now anyway since the majority is farmed and lanscaped rather than natural. Wooded areas are basically fucked. (shout out to scotland which is still awesome) This post could be pages long and I couldn't even get to the bottom of why I hate this island. I suppose it has history going for it bit that's about it.

Reactions: KuriGohan&Kamehameha
deleted

deleted

Wizard
Jul 31, 2020
never lived in the UK but man it's not a great sign when multiple posters from that part of the world write, "well, it's probably not as bad as living in *insert third world country*"
unfortunately i live in a third world country, well .. at least it's not Somalia

T

Tree frog

Apr 1, 2021
I'm in Australia and took me maybe a year to join as SS is blocked by the govt it seems and you can't join SS using a VPN. So issues like that can skew the data I guess

M

MyOwnWorstEnemy

Apr 23, 2021
That we're no longer part of Europe and England's now the most embarrassing country even Wales would be preferable
Pile of opinion there, grow a spine.

• Hmph!
Reactions: Asingletwig and Bat 17
Sprite_Geist

Sprite_Geist

NULL
May 27, 2020
"Why are so many users here from the UK suicidal?"

The short answer: Because they live in the UK.

The long answer: It can be a depressing place to live. If the USA was Coca-Cola the UK would be Diet Coke; a new label and a few new ingredients, but still the same junk as the original; the ruthless individualism and self-centeredness, materialism, the obsession with wealth, and the sluggish system - to name a few a things. It certainly feels as if the UK is trying to be like the USA, or is it the other way around? ...Anyhow! One of the really good points of the UK is access to the National Health Service (NHS), but that is about it.

I am not saying this about everywhere in the UK - this is just my own personal experience.

• Love
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, Beachedwhale and KuriGohan&Kamehameha
Octavina

Octavina

Paint the black hole blacker
Jan 9, 2021
Benzos too weak to ctb on, plus it is harder to get your GP to prescribe you anything like that long term. I hear in USA they hand them out like candy but I could be wrong. Free healthcare doesn't necessarily mean 'great' and I'd rather advoid NHS at all costs if I have to get anymore K infusions done. I was crying out in agony for hours and not one nurse bothered to aid my calls, I laid their in resus on a row of dozens. Nurses just walk past avoiding me and other patients. I turn off the infusion pump and they have the cheek to get angry at me even with the chemical is burning my veins and is same one used in USA lethal injections. (Correct me if I'm wrong. They don't care about the mentally ill, we are the most discriminated against

• Hugs
Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, demuic and KuriGohan&Kamehameha
motel rooms

motel rooms

Survivor of incest. Gay. Please don't PM me.
Apr 13, 2021
Because after a disappointing Brexit so many Brits realized that a more radical exit is required?

• Yay!
Reactions: Beachedwhale, DarkWolf, WhatDoesTheFoxSay? and 1 other person
ThrownAwayTom

ThrownAwayTom

Experienced
Oct 3, 2020
There's so many factors including government and mental health and opportunities etc, but I do have my own theory that the UK is one country where the younger generation can actively observe that things aren't getting better.

I can look around me at the generation before and say without a doubt that we won't have it nearly "as good" as they did - but the populations attitude is to pretend the opposite is true.

Less jobs, less money, less housing, less mental health care, less physical health care, more crime, more civil unrest, more willing ignorance.

Just look at brexit. We lead the world at cutting our nose of to spite our face. The older generations like to pretend we're the stiff-upper-lipped men of old that the UK thinks it was, while the younger generations are more aware of the full scope of how little and useless our country now is.

Relatively speaking things aren't really THAT bad here compared to impoverished nations, but it's the fact you can go outside and actively see the decline happening and the direction we're too weak to stop us going in.

Reactions: Beachedwhale and Greenberg
motel rooms

motel rooms

Survivor of incest. Gay. Please don't PM me.
Apr 13, 2021
I do have my own theory that the UK is one country where the younger generation can actively observe that things aren't getting better.
Young people with half a brain anywhere in the West can observe that, the UK isn't special in that regard

Bat 17

Bat 17

Bat 17
Mar 30, 2021
I absolutely love the UK and Yorkshire and Oxon in particular. It will be a pleasure to be buried here

Regarding the food. The UK a country of 60 odd million has 168 Michelin starred restaurants, the USA a country of 300 million odd has 206. OK, the UK is not top of the league by any stretch but the food here has come on a long way since the 1960s-80s

Last edited:
Reactions: g0921
g0921

g0921

Jan 18, 2020
I absolutely love the UK and Yorkshire and Oxon in particular. It will be a pleasure to be buried here
MOOD.

I am planning to move there, live for a few years then CTB.
FYR from Asia and I bloody hate our Sun and humid.

Reactions: Bat 17
ThrownAwayTom

ThrownAwayTom

Experienced
Oct 3, 2020
Young people with half a brain anywhere in the West can observe that, the UK isn't special in that regard
Oh yeah, I mean its one of the countries, not the ONE country to see it. But then take any country with real conflict happening and my comment sounds trite to be fair.

There's something oddly unique about how grey and dreary the mentality is here but recent times have amplified it I think

Bat 17

Bat 17

Bat 17
Mar 30, 2021
Dunno I just googled it :I:I
@Greenberg I believe it's 2016 data. The UK rate has actually increased significantly since then - not sure about other countries. The data is typically pooled by the World Health Organisation. The 2019 set is on Wikipedia but there's more recent 2020 data out there too
There's something oddly unique about how grey and dreary the mentality is here but recent times have amplified it I think
The British have had a reputation for complaining, particularly about their country, since the end of World War 2 at least. When I lived in Australia in the mid 90s I learned of an expression they had for the British, who were always complaining about their home country, "whingeing Poms"

It's interesting that it hasn't always been this way and indeed in the 19th century the British had a reputation for being insufferable about how great their country was, with the nickname "John Bull"

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Greenberg
Embers

Embers

LOST
Feb 24, 2021
Because mental health care in the U.K. is diabolical

Reactions: UberYeets and Octavina
Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Always was, is, and always shall be.
Jun 22, 2020
N. America has the largest presence on the internet followed by the U.K.

I doubt that it indicates a larger percentage of U.K. residents are suicidal. This site is blocked in lots of countries, Germany for instance.

Reactions: Bat 17