K

KafkaF

Taking a break from the website.
Nov 18, 2023
Spoilers for "House of the Dragon" season 1 ahead.

So I am talking, of course, about this scene in "House of the Dragon" where Viserys comes into the throne room to support Rhaenyra. Such an incredibly powerful scene.

I'm not one for crying but I shed a tear or two about three times:
  • When he looks at Rhaenyra as he's near the throne. Kind of as a nod to say "You asked. And I am here for you." In fact, it almost makes me crying just writing that.
  • When he drops his crown, someone picks it up, he turns and says it's fine and we see it's Daemon.
  • When he sits down and Daemon puts the crown on his head. These two brothers have had so many difficulties and disagreements, but this shows that Daemon truly does love and respect Viserys tremendously.
And, not to bring it back to my psychological issues too much, but I feel like part of why this scene resonates so much with me is because of them.

Just the love that Viserys shows Rhaenyra in this scene, to be a complete wreck of a man in constant pain and yet STILL show up to defend his daughter in her worst hour... that's all I've ever wanted. A single person in the entire world who's willing to do that for me. Who loves me THAT much.

I've loved others that much. But I've never been loved that much, I think.

If I only had that it would honestly be enough for me to live.

Not suggesting here that I'm the only one affected by the scene specifically because of my psychological issues. The scene is pretty widely acclaimed as far as I can tell. But it's just something that I suspect makes the scene resonates extra with me and I'm guessing maybe others here who feel the same way.