N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I think on English people fight on the pronunciation of ketchup. It is not catch-up. But many say that? Is this right?

Oh I can remember which word gave me the idea for this thread. Huawei. Many say it very wrong in my country. I barely have knowledge on the phonetic alphabet. In fact I had to look up this term. I cannot really convey how they pronunce it due to the fact you probably cannot speak German. I guess probably also some people in the US pronunce it wrong.

I pronunced pay-pal or series (as in fictional series) often wrong. My friends are more savy on it. Sometimes I struggle to pronunce English words if I have never heard them before.

I know something. Mallorca. It is so cringe how many German pronunce it. It is an island in Spain and Germans go there to get drunk.

Here are some English words Germans struggle with.

queue, hyperbole, hurricane, America, Nike

Reactions: obafgkm
whatevs

whatevs

Mining for copium in the weirdest places.
Jan 15, 2022
I think on English people fight on the pronunciation of ketchup. It is not catch-up. But many say that? Is this right?

Oh I can remember which word gave me the idea for this thread. Huawei. Many say it very wrong in my country. I barely have knowledge on the phonetic alphabet. In fact I had to look up this term. I cannot really convey how they pronunce it due to the fact you probably cannot speak German. I guess probably also some people in the US pronunce it wrong.

I pronunced pay-pal or series (as in fictional series) often wrong. My friends are more savy on it. Sometimes I struggle to pronunce English words if I have never heard them before.

I know something. Mallorca. It is so cringe how many German pronunce it. It is an island in Spain and Germans go there to get drunk.

Here are some English words Germans struggle with.

queue, hyperbole, hurricane, America, Nike
It's pronounced Maiorrka.

I think proper pronunciation is the last thing you pick up when perfecting your language skills. Honestly though, since you get native speakers whose accent can completely change how words sound it's safe to say the best is to just be fluent and confident... Exactly what social anxiety will never let you be. šŸ˜‰

Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
Most English-speaking people pronounce Porsche, Maybach and Volkswagen all wrong. Even professional reviewers from English-speaking regions. Really annoying because it should only take a few seconds of research to get it right.

Reactions: obafgkm
Ashu

Ashu

novelist, sanskritist, Canadian living in India
Nov 13, 2021
Most English-speaking people pronounce Porsche, Maybach and Volkswagen all wrong.
They pronounce them as if they were English, which they are, when you're speaking English.