N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
There is a clear difference in the perception of this website by the media and its members. I tried to provide information in the recovery section how to get help in order to live on despite suicidality but I think this won't change the opinion of the media. I don't want that this forum is called "pro-suicide". I don't like the pro-suicide philosophy, I think it can be dangerous and I would not support that.

Which changes had to be implemented so that they don't think of us as a pro-suicide forum anymore? Do they want that also anti-choice people are allowed in this forum? Do they want that this forum bans method talk and goodbye threads?

I am really not sure what counts as "pro-suicide"? Encouragement of suicide is on this website forbidden and gets banned when it is reported. I am puzzled what counts in their view as pro-choice? On facebook you get banned for stating "I want assisted suicide"... so I think at least for example facebook can't be called "pro-choice".

I think the recovery section was a really good idea. I think it contains helpful resources when someone decides that he/she wants to live on. They call this website a "death-cult". But doesn't this website has proven with the recovery section that it also supports the decision to live on?

What are your thoughts on it?

Last edited:
Reactions: Circles
Tackingintothewind

Tackingintothewind

Mage
Mar 2, 2021
As long as this website discusses methods and advocates for suicide as a genuine option you aren't going to change the media's minds...

Suicide is such a big taboo in general society that being pro choice will be seen as being pro suicide.

Reactions: markimobzzdeasui, BrokenLine, ShornSoloists and 7 others
Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020
Just heard by an Australian member this site is getting banned in Australia.

WadeingThru

WadeingThru

Experienced
Feb 25, 2022
Like all other social issues the change in thinking and acceptance takes a lot of time. The media will spin the story to fit their narrative.

When I search for SS it says, "A pro-choice community that discusses mental illness and suicide from the perspective of suicidal people, as well as the moral implications of the act."

Maybe the, "from the perspective of suicidal people" part is a driver of the pro-suicide perspective.
I guess the vpn providers will have some new customers.

Oblivion Access

Oblivion Access

I don't know anything
Jul 5, 2019
Any attempt to appease people on this issue is largely futile imo, like others have said, as long as there is discussion of methods SS will always be misconstrued as pro death. It will only worsen user experience and accomplish nothing else.

Reactions: demuic
demuic

demuic

Life was a mistake
Sep 12, 2020
The media is not concerned with the truth. Any outlet which is able to bold-facedly state such blatant lies and misrepresentations is not capable of or willing to seeing anything but their own one sided view. They will accept nothing less than a full adherence to the status quo and a submission to the accepted psychological complex's doctrine of suicide never being an option or anything but a symptom of some flavor of "insanity'. Anything that questions that will be demonized and crucified in the same age old methods that have been used since the beginning of civilization. It's not worth the effort to be concerned with their perception whatsoever. Angry mobs can't be reasoned with.

The only thing that matters (in my opinion) is to ensure the integrity of the site and that SS sticks to its founding principles regardless of outside threats because we are doing nothing wrong. If SS moves away from that in order to appease some mob who couldn't give less of a shit about anyone on here and whose only concern is a false sense of righteousness than that would be when the site really dies even if it would not be shutdown.

Reactions: whatevs, markimobzzdeasui, Crazy4u and 1 other person
Tackingintothewind

Tackingintothewind

Mage
Mar 2, 2021
Again, who is advocating here? Find me an example.
Would.you call this site pro choice? If yes then this site is advocating for suicide to be considered a genuine option. They are 1000000s of examples on this website of people saying that suicide is a viable option, not that it is the option someone should choose, but it is an option that the.perspn should have the right to choose.

If you consider this website anti-choice then yes you win noone is advocating for options here. Go back to the recovery section quickly and stay there.

Ethereal Knight

Ethereal Knight

Seja um bom soldado, morra onde você caiu.
Jan 10, 2022
just use VPN. Proton VPN is a fairly good free VPN. you can also use Tor.

Reactions: WrongPlaceWrongTime
WrongPlaceWrongTime

WrongPlaceWrongTime

Better never to have been
Jul 4, 2021
As long as we defend the right to bodily autonomy, they will always smear this place

C

Circles

Visionary
Sep 3, 2018
As long as we defend the right to bodily autonomy, they will always smear this place
That's what I don't get about those against suicide most especially those who are liberal minded. The whole 'my body, my choice' mantra gets thrown out the window as soon as suicide is brought up.

Reactions: WrongPlaceWrongTime
Red Scare

Red Scare

Wizard
Mar 1, 2022
That's what I don't get about those against suicide most especially those who are liberal minded. The whole 'my body, my choice' mantra gets thrown out the window as soon as suicide is brought up.
They will even argue for terminally ill people to be allowed assisted suicide, they will support abortion, they could even understand a soldier wanting to take cyanide before being tortured but for some reason they can't conceive of someone not wanting to live life with a severe disability or mental illness.
Would.you call this site pro choice?
I wouldn't even necessarily call it that, just pro-free speech and anti-censorship.

Last edited: