• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I am newsjunkie and interested. I read a lot of German media outlets. The vast majority English outlets with high quality use a lot of technical terms. I am often too lazy and too unconcentrated to consume them. Usually I let voice apps read the texts aloud. Sometimes when it is no art text I use English translators. They only work mediocre but I have not found a better solution so far. It sucks I think most German outlets which only translated English texts in German language went bankrupt which I don't really understand. The costs should not be that high and some English texts are of high quality.

I read Foreign Policy and Foreign Affairs sometimes and damn they are pretty pretty good. I envy not being English native speaker (though the countries have toxic societies in my opinion). Also at college we have to read so many English texts. I really love the English language. Though I am also someone who would like to understand every single word literally. So it can be time consuming to read such texts. I like that the authors are not journalists but scientists and real experts (in the mentioned outlets). However there are a lot of war hawks. And progressively I might become one when I go on reading them. Lol.

Here are some publications and the associatons I have with the outlets: I barely have in-depth knowledge maybe some people who live in these countries can give me some insights,

New York Times - the newspaper with the biggest reputation in the world. I associate the article of this forum a lot. Though I still liked some revelations of US war crimes. However I think it is part of the US establishment and I don't really trust them. You can see that which candidates they endorse at US-elections. They posture as fighter for equality but suck off candidates like Klobuchar.

Newsweek: I once read the German magazine I read had this outlet as role model. However I think the reputation is rather mediocre. David Foster Wallace called the articles superficial and I think the quality is not the best. Very mainstream positions

The Guardian: I also have read some negative headlines on that outlets. A little bit too much yellow press like. Not really better than most average German publications

The Economist: Many praise this magazine. I am not sure. Sometimes I watched youtube videos of them. Maybe not my cup of tea - the quality might be good. Some people recommended it to me.

The Atlantic - Recently someone recommened that to me. Long essays should be published there.

Washington Post - As long as they are in control of Jeff Bezos I don't trust them. Establishment mainstream. Way too many German journalists only have such outlets as their source. Personally I watch independent media to balance that.

Vanity Fair/ Harper's/Rolling Stone: really interesting cultural outlets though too many technical terms and idioms for me. A translator would ruin the texts completely. I read the DFW biography currently and they elaborate on such outlets and I am kind of curious which talents are out there. But I barely have knowledge on art to give a fair judgement.

Honorable mentions on which I won't waste time to spread my prejudices and biases: The Wall Street Journal, Times, Forbes, The Diplomat, The New Yorker, Wired

For me there must be a significant quality difference to Germam publications to make it worth to overcome the language barrier. I also can consume average quality in my native language so I only take my time when it is worth it.

I have the feeling many people will reply fuck all of them. They are mainstream media and mostly spread fake news. In general I have the feeling the US media is more corrupted by interest groups than in Germany. The media landscape seems to be more toxic for sure. However I am interested in your opinion.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: consider