N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
Mabye I should stop making bold predictions without much competence in it. I once did a thread called something like RonDeSantis will be US-president 2024. Well the prospects of that don't look good. I have the bias to swim with the current too much when we consider predictions. I read a lot of media articles and this influences me a little bit too much. I try to read more and more science articles instead of media stuff. Besides just stating that my opinion is useless here is my opinion on the cultural debates of this decade. (Moreover I might be dead in some years so looking back might be not an option for me.)

Climate change: There are debates how important this issue is and which sort of protests should be allowed in a democracy. Personally I would be pretty pissed if I could not go to college because of such a protest. (they clue themselves on the road in my country.) Moreover I don't think Germany as such a decisive power to make a real change. Though I think every saved emission is important. I am quite fatalistic about the fate of this planet. I think we are pretty fucked. And future generations will regret our actions a lot. I think most serious scientists are well-aware about the huge impact of climate change but many humans think way too shortterm and are lazy to change anything. I am not that anxious because my personal problems go way beyond that and it is more likely I ctb before the real climate catastrophe hits.

Trans-people: I think there are many debates about trans people. I think trans people will become more and more socially accepted. Just like with gay people. There are even conservative gay people in many Western countries. I think we will see the same with trans people and other minorities.

Demcoracy vs autocracy: The Western countries will lose influence. The USA lose their status as sole superpower. China will be the big enemy. Allied with Russia as little junior. Maybe the peak years for our nations are over. Climate change will cost money. There are doubts on globalisations for example due to supply chain issues we realized weaknesses. In many nations there are populists on the rise. So there is also a debate about democracy within our states.

Freedom of speech, culture war and "wokeism": Many people say freedom of speech was in danger. There are different narratives. Some say the right-wingers skew the debates in their favor. They achieve that right-wing extreme narratives become more popular among average citizens of our countries. Others say that the woke culture is a propaganda machine and creates more and more prohibited topics. I don't have a strong clear opinion on that. My feeling is the culture war in the US is very extreme and overheated. In Germany gladly it is less extreme but it become more and more widespread. I think to give a nuanced opinion on that would require a very long thread for its own. So I will end it here. And it is too political for this sub-forum anyway.

Demographics, refugee crises: Many countries struggle with a lack fo young people. This will become more and more severe. Migration would be one attempt to solve that problem. But it can bring along other issues. I think we might look back with nostalgia at the economical strength we once had. (in Europe or the US)

Assisted suicide. I think it will be a human right in some decades. And then they will talk about the dark ages from the past when people had to risk becoming a vegetable when they despair and use brutal methods.

Internet, internet of things, metaverse, AI: Will be more and more present in our daily life and transform how we work and live. Personally I welcome that. The internet is a great tool for me. I am good at dodging the risks for example because I have a good impulse control. I think I am not an expert in that area I could only speculate. It is interesting to see some months ago everyone talked about crypto and NFTs and now suddenly everyone talks about chatbots. So far chatGPT is for me very fascinating more than other developments because I don't have to pay for it with money (though instead with my data.)

There are probably many more issues and nuances to consider but I think this thread is already way too long.

Where do you agree or disagree with me?

Last edited:
Georg

Georg

Experienced
Feb 25, 2023
definitely men vs women; gender topic in general. This is all over the place and even here these threads always get the most replies.