bubo

bubo

Jul 14, 2022
I'm curious to see what the general experience with mental hospitals is with people here. I'm aware mental hospitals are supposed to "help" you or "fix you," but really, from every single story I've ever heard, they only make patients worse or fix nothing. The entire experience seems needlessly traumatic for any patient and seems like a waste of money on the building itself. The entire system and process seem professionally incompetent and need major fixes, but to some people, surely it worked; otherwise, we wouldn't have them, right…?

I was recently "jailed" in one. I'm diagnosed with autism, and they had a special autism ward, but I wasn't put in there because "you don't look autistic," which I'm still confused as to what that even means. Because of this, I was constantly overwhelmed by noises, not to mention that the staff were incredibly incompetent and made no attempt to stop me from self-harming while there, even watching me actively do it and not even writing anything down. Perhaps this is the normal experience, and however, I wouldn't be surprised judging from stories I've heard from other people. I'd say the experience has only made me worse, and honestly, I didn't truly understand what "despair" felt like until I entered that building.

Whenever I hear people speak of mental hospital experiences on here, mostly it is "I'm scared to go to one, so I refuse to do x or y." Or "I did x and y, and I'm scared of being sent to one." But I never hear stories from people who have actually been in one. And when I do hear stories, it is never positive. So, whether positive or not, please share your experience. I am very curious and would like to hear you out. Also, if not too much detail or if not too much burden, I'm also curious to hear how long everyone stayed at the hospital. Maybe different experiences are achieved by different periods of time stayed, I had thought.(?) although that is just a conjecture.

• Hugs
Reactions: ForgottenAgain, GuessWhosBack, fleetingnight and 4 others
P

pulleditnearlyoff

Student
Apr 26, 2024
Definitely had a bad experience. Was in a closed ward several times. Indeed much noises and bad behaviour of other patients, which made me even more distressed. Staff didn't do anything to prevent me to hang myself (tried partial many times there, but unfortunately didn't work because I hadn't have a rope but only my pants). Forced medication, forced staying. One time I tried to get out by kicking at the door. They dragged me down the hallway and brutaly held me on the bed. Have trauma's still. Other than that, there is also nothing to do, which I believe only makes anhedonia worse. Overal not a good place for recovering imo.

Reactions: wCvML2, GoatHerder and bubo
VeryShy

VeryShy

Seriously disabled due to autism and schizophrenia
Jun 21, 2024
I was in 3 different special mental hospitals, age 11 to 27. Absolutely horrible experience, just worse and worse each time.
Every time I needed some time to actually recover from being there.

• Hugs
Reactions: GoatHerder, GuessWhosBack and wCvML2
W

wCvML2

Nov 15, 2021
Same mental hospital twice. I asked the second time during the intake to get assigned a different hospital, one that my cousin recommended but it was "150% full capacity" so I had to go to the same hospital that I'm assigned to based on the area I live in... The hospitalizations were overall ineffective and didn't change a thing.

Reactions: GoatHerder
fleetingnight

fleetingnight

incapable of shutting up
May 2, 2024
I'm so sorry they didn't accomodate you correctly. Seems the least they could do, if they're forcing you to go "for the sake of your mental health."

My experience wasn't good or bad. It was boring and cold. Staff could get annoying, but they were okay. It was nice to get to know the other patients. And it was kinda nice to have my issues taken seriously and not like "attention-seeking teenage drama."