• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Darkest.Mind-

Darkest.Mind-

Mar 11, 2023
no one has ever talked bout this so this is the start ig
my fav character that I look up to is Itachi,Kakashi,Kaneki,Hinata(from Haikyuu!!) ,Kageyama(Haikyuu!!),And many more I have seen a lot of anime and i don't really remember any other characters lol

bythefire12

bythefire12

Mar 14, 2023
Lain from Serial Experiments Lain is someone I relate to. Feeling lost in an uncertain world.
Similarly, I really relate to Asuka and Shinji in Evangelion. A mix of destitution, self-hate, attempts to suppress fear at the hopeless future they face, trying to find a positive sense of self and failing because the circumstances make it nigh-impossible...yet, still somehow dragging through the next steps until you can't anymore.

Darkest.Mind-

Darkest.Mind-

Mar 11, 2023
Ohhh all might nice choice
Lain from Serial Experiments Lain is someone I relate to. Feeling lost in an uncertain world.
Similarly, I really relate to Asuka and Shinji in Evangelion. A mix of destitution, self-hate, attempts to suppress fear at the hopeless future they face, trying to find a positive sense of self and failing because the circumstances make it nigh-impossible...yet, still somehow dragging through the next steps until you can't anymore.
I guess ur going through a lot good luck with that

Reactions: tiredtiger
borderline-feline

borderline-feline

Constantly Sleepy Catgirl
Dec 28, 2022
I have a lot of favorites, so I'll just list off some of the favorites that I relate to.

Oozora Hibari (Stop!! Hibari-kun!)
Killua Zoldyck (Hunter X Hunter)
Kuroki Tomoko (Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui!)
Souma Kisa (Fruits Basket)
Matsuzaka Satou (Happy Sugar Life)
Suirenji Kiyoharu (Mahou Shoujo Site)
Akemi Homura (Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magika)
Alois Trancy (Kuroshitsuji II)
Fudou Akira (Devilman)
Asuka Ryo (Devilman)
Midori (Shoujo Tsubaki)
Tanaka (Tanaka-kun wa Itsumo Kedaruge)
Momose Narumi (Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii)

Walpurgisnacht

Walpurgisnacht

Lavender
Feb 25, 2023
There are a couple of characters I've seen that I personally relate to a lot more than I'd like to admit.

Reki from Haibane Renmei is probably the most relatable character to me. Even down to our methods of CTB being the same.
She puts on a fake persona, trying to help other people to atone for her own bad personality; but it's just an act in the end. She's not a good person, but she still tries to act like one to help others. In a way living vicariously through the improvements she helped bring to them, while also feeling secretly bitter and resentful she can't succeed like they do at the same time.
Watching Reki's behaviour was so uncomfortably like looking in a mirror. She's manipulative and cold, but she does seem to genuinely care as well, she hasn't entirely lost her humanity but it's pretty close. It makes me wonder if whoever wrote her character had BPD themselves, because the things that she does and reasons why are so similar to mine which come from my BPD.

Akemi Homura from Madoka Magica is another one I relate to a lot. Homura is similarly not a good person, she only cares about the one person in the world she loves, and she just wants to be able to live with that person, but she suffers countless days of torture only for the person she was trying to save to abandon her in the end anyway. Her actions in Rebellion make sense because she is just fundamentally a selfish and bad person.
Something that really hit me when watching this show was specifically the scene when she said to Madoka (after defeating Walpurgis together and them about to turn into witches because of their despair,) "why don't we just become terrible monsters and ravage this world together. Wouldn't that be nice?" She only cares about being with Madoka, she doesn't care about anyone or anything else, but when Madoka asks Homura to kill her so she doesn't become a witch, it's like it suddenly hits her that while she would find that "nice", Madoka just isn't that kind of person. so she begrudgingly kills her, respecting Madoka's wishes and shouldering all the burden for her.
I have a kind of similar attitude to Homura: If the people I love would be evil with me, I would give up on trying to be good and just do it. I would love nothing more than to empty out all the suffering we have had to endure over the whole wretched world, seeing everyone else hurting just as I was made to. It would be so cathartic; but I know my loved ones wouldn't find that "nice" like I do. I am not a good person, I just pretend to be as best I can; but my loved ones are actually good people, they aren't vindictive and cruel and spiteful like I am. So I can't give in to that impulse and inflict cruelty to others no matter how much cruelty is inflicted on to me, because I know none of them would join me in reveling in it. So I have to keep pretending I'm not a bad person for their sake, and suppress my manipulative and vindictive thoughts and behaviours as best as I can.

This all probably sounds extremely melodramatic and self-absorbed, but being the subject of the thread I thought I'd try to explain why I like these characters the most. I'm not good with words so hope it made sense.

Fwompje

Fwompje

life is cruel and time heals nothing
Feb 23, 2023
Erwin Smith. I just think his character is so interesting. I started watching aot in 2014 when there was just one season out and got obsessed. I'm still completely obsessed but moreso just with specific characters.

He is such an intelligent character that can come off as manipulative yet at the same time he's a massive dork and can be a little bit like an idiot. I like the interactions he has with other characters, especially his relationship with captain Levi. I could talk about this for ages.
Also: handsome, tall, blonde, nice voice.

Darkest.Mind-

Darkest.Mind-

Mar 11, 2023
Erwin Smith. I just think his character is so interesting. I started watching aot in 2014 when there was just one season out and got obsessed. I'm still completely obsessed but moreso just with specific characters.

He is such an intelligent character that can come off as manipulative yet at the same time he's a massive dork and can be a little bit like an idiot. I like the interactions he has with other characters, especially his relationship with captain Levi. I could talk about this for ages.
Also: handsome, tall, blonde, nice voice.
I also respect Erwin and his character but I honestly think that the sacrifices he made was useless , again it's only my opinion.

shinohara

shinohara

Feb 26, 2023
I like Mob but.. Serizawa from Mob Psycho 100 is special to me, I relate to him a bit more than Mob because he's closer to me in age and experience (shut-in with anxiety who is trying to reintegrate into society)
Denji and Asa from Chainsaw Man because I relate to their personalities
and I guess Usagi Tsukino/Sailor Moon because I've loved Sailor Moon since I was young

junko

junko

carving my name in the grave again
Mar 16, 2023
I've only read the manga so far, but I'd protect Denji (Chainsaw Man) with my life. Maybe it's due to the stage of life I'm in or because of how his character is presented. I've just never felt such a powerful desire to see a character be happy before! He's my freak son.

I also love Saitama (One Punch Man), Ahiru/Duck (Princess Tutu), and Ishimaru (DanganRonpa).

Haven't watched Naruto in years, but Lee used to be my favorite there.

Darkest.Mind-

Darkest.Mind-

Mar 11, 2023
I've only read the manga so far, but I'd protect Denji (Chainsaw Man) with my life. Maybe it's due to the stage of life I'm in or because of how his character is presented. I've just never felt such a powerful desire to see a character be happy before! He's my freak son.

I also love Saitama (One Punch Man), Ahiru/Duck (Princess Tutu), and Ishimaru (DanganRonpa).

Haven't watched Naruto in years, but Lee used to be my favorite there.
Cool but if u won't mind, may I know the reason why u love denji so much?

junko

junko

carving my name in the grave again
Mar 16, 2023
Cool but if u won't mind, may I know the reason why u love denji so much?
Good question! I see him as an abused child whose gross goals as a teenager are due entirely to lack of affection and intimacy. (I think the manga straight out says this at one point, but I could be wrong.)

He wants physical intimacy -- understandable, considering how he was raised. Of course it's gonna manifest in touching boobs, since he's only a teenager. He wants good food -- yeah, I get it. He wants the money he needs to get that good food and other nice things. Relatable!

He's desperate, but manages to maintain a unique personality despite that desperation. I think other characters in his place might just be wailing 24/7, begging for the things he needs. But Denji makes jokes, has opinions about the new life he lives, and even makes pretty big sacrifices considering his goals. He actually thinks about the choices he makes, even if he ends up making weird ones, haha.

I guess the short way of saying it is that I admire and pity him all at once? If someone had just treated him the way we all deserve, I think he'd be your typical high school jokester. He's not a bad person, just an idiot in a bad situation, haha

Sadbrains

Sadbrains

She/They
Mar 10, 2023
Tomoko Kuroki from Watamote always resonated with me, and I loved the show in general. One of the few animes I actually rewatch and never grow bored of it. My childhood, trying to fit in with others was pretty much the same because I never actually fat in. I eventually stopped caring and just learned to enjoy myself.

Another character I really came to like is Sheele from Akame Ga Kill. As an adult now, I feel I am always trying to help others, regardless of how this world seems to take everything from me.

Lastly, Daruku Hoshino from Nanana's Buried Treasure is a character I always liked. Nothing deep with this one. Just a cute "otoko no ko". I cosplayed as them "ironically" in 2015 at an Anime Con, which is a bigger deal than it seems because it was like the first thing that made me realize I was trans. Like I always knew, but at the same time I didn't. My parents hid that was even a possibility pretty well.
EnVfV2qXUAA8  7
I tend to respond to threads before I read other responses (the less serious ones of course) so it doesn't effect my answer but I can already tell I'm going to love this thread!

Darkest.Mind-

Darkest.Mind-

Mar 11, 2023
Good question! I see him as an abused child whose gross goals as a teenager are due entirely to lack of affection and intimacy. (I think the manga straight out says this at one point, but I could be wrong.)

He wants physical intimacy -- understandable, considering how he was raised. Of course it's gonna manifest in touching boobs, since he's only a teenager. He wants good food -- yeah, I get it. He wants the money he needs to get that good food and other nice things. Relatable!

He's desperate, but manages to maintain a unique personality despite that desperation. I think other characters in his place might just be wailing 24/7, begging for the things he needs. But Denji makes jokes, has opinions about the new life he lives, and even makes pretty big sacrifices considering his goals. He actually thinks about the choices he makes, even if he ends up making weird ones, haha.

I guess the short way of saying it is that I admire and pity him all at once? If someone had just treated him the way we all deserve, I think he'd be your typical high school jokester. He's not a bad person, just an idiot in a bad situation, haha
Ty for answering btw ur reasons are simpler to mine lol
:)))

Himalayan

Himalayan

"Wake up to reality, nothing ever goes as planned"
Sep 30, 2022
for not letting the world bullshit get to him, and staying true to his values in a apocalyptic world.

S

Scythe

Lost in a delusion
Sep 5, 2022
I like Kaneki too, cause of the edge and he's got a cool design. Tokyo Ghoul is also the first anime I seriously watched. I also like his ideals and personality.
Another favourite is Dazai Osamu, because he talks suicide all the time.
Cloth from Hollowknight is cool too, she wants to become stronger but she gets scared and I think it's really relatable.
Lastly, Thanatos from Hades...cause he's edgy...and because he's the death incarnate and I want to die.

Reactions: Darkest.Mind-
redbathingduck

redbathingduck

Student
Mar 20, 2023
It's hard to narrow it down but I'll try:

Rintarou Okabe (Steins Gate)
Ai Hayasaka (Love is War)
Sanji (One Piece)
Riko Sakurauchi (Love Live Sunshine)
Arataka Reigen (Mob Psycho 100)
Vivy (Fluorite Eye's Song)
Violet (Violet Evergarden)
Elaina (Wandering Witch)
Kei Tsukishima (Haikyuu)

and least but not least, Subaru and Emilia from Re:Zero

Feels impossible to just pick 1 :ahhha:

Darkest.Mind-

Darkest.Mind-

Mar 11, 2023
I like Kaneki too, cause of the edge and he's got a cool design. Tokyo Ghoul is also the first anime I seriously watched. I also like his ideals and personality.
Another favourite is Dazai Osamu, because he talks suicide all the time.
Cloth from Hollowknight is cool too, she wants to become stronger but she gets scared and I think it's really relatable.
Lastly, Thanatos from Hades...cause he's edgy...and because he's the death incarnate and I want to die.
Ayyyeee
I forgot bout Dazai
one of my fav cha out there and I can relate to him
the way his character was portraying mental illness was flawless
View attachment 106519

Also have to talk about this badass. the eyeeeeeeeees 👁️👁️👁️
tbh I'm also a makima simp
but hav u read the manga?
Any love for Itachi?
gad my memory
almost forgot bout him
he's gonna be my fav out there

arcadia

arcadia

Jan 5, 2023
osaka from azumanga daioh, makoto from the girl who leapt through time, tohru from fruba, nausicaa,

Reactions: Kichiissad
the guilt i carry

the guilt i carry

endless pain
Mar 19, 2023
maybe sounds funny, but my personal favorite is Shinji(from Neon Genesis Evangelion). Some people say that he's a coward, but actually he's the most kin moment character ever existed. In all Eva is the best anime i've ever watched, because i can relate to many characters from there. Actually the plot is very interesting.
Also i love Spike from Cowboy Bebop. It's my second favorite anime after Eva. It's sad sometimes, but entertaining.

Avyn

Avyn

Experienced
Jan 27, 2021
I really love and relate to Dazai Osamu. I love how he's suicidal yet portrays it in a funny and relatable way. I never saw a character like that before. It made me read his books too!

I barely watch any anime - my bf showed me Bungo Stray Dogs and I'm so happy he did. (:

youwantitdarker

youwantitdarker

Feb 18, 2023
1c9224bace08f4193fcf810f0fa7a119
Nea and Mana from D.Gray-man. Everything they do, they do it out of love for each other. To quote Mana (long-haired guy) - "No matter what happens, I will always love this beautiful world. Even if I would never recieve a thing in return. Once you have learned to love something, your path will open up before you". Nea is a bit more complicated case. But love is there.
I don't want to type anymore because I'm afraid I will tear up haha. DGM does that to me quite often