U

uniqueusername987

Sep 9, 2023
I think logistically the most difficult part of ctb'ing is figuring out what to do with my dog. Initially I was going to just leave him at my house alone with a couple days of food; however we've started going through separation anxiety training with him and I've learned that he shouldn't be left alone for long periods until he's ready, so I don't want to make him anxious.

I want to keep my dog if I fail/change my mind and want my parents to have him if I ctb. My dad's in town until Friday so the optimal thing would be to convince him to take him home "temporarily", but I'd need a reason for it. The only thing I can think of is telling him I'm afraid I'll have to be hospitalized again but I don't want to let them on to how bad I'm doing as they haven't caught on.

I could board him and just leave emergency contact info but I'm afraid a traditional boarder might be too stressful for him (especially if the dogs are alone at night) and this feels too traumatizing to impose on a Rover boarder or other random person.

I could just rehome him elsewhere but that would just break my heart, I'm tearing up just thinking about it. But I feel like I'm a bad owner anyway given how depressed I am and I don't deserve him. So maybe I should.

I'm so stuck here. WWYD?

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: tora and Praestat_Mori
thebookofdisquiet.

thebookofdisquiet.

Student
Sep 9, 2023
Maybe tell your dad that he should spend some time away from you as part of the separation anxiety training?

Reactions: tora and uniqueusername987
U

uniqueusername987

Sep 9, 2023
Maybe tell your dad that he should spend some time away from you as part of the separation anxiety training?
Ugh I wish, that's not technically how SA training goes but not sure that they know that.

I might just dope him up on anxiety meds and schedule send asks for help soon after I do it. Hopefully just one day or a few hours even won't traumatize the dog.

Reactions: thebookofdisquiet.
DyingToDie123

DyingToDie123

she/her
Oct 25, 2023
I'm gonna bump this because I'm ctb'ing soon and I'm concerned about this. My parents live 6 hours away but I don't know if they'll be able to just drop everything and leave. I should probably take him to a boarding facility but that's a lot of money and paperwork.