• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

SpiderLink

SpiderLink

they/them
Apr 3, 2023
What have you done that's helped you recover, or improve, whatever that may look like for you….But is coping more important than healing? Everyone's making me cope rather than heal, and I see coping as running away, when I want to fight and heal from my pain..

TransilvanianHunger

TransilvanianHunger

Grave with a view...
Jan 22, 2023
Coping is a skill, but healing is the goal. Imagine someone drops a large boulder on your shoulders. Coping would be to use all your energy and strength to avoid being crushed by the boulder, but what you ultimately need is to get it off your shoulders. No matter how strong someone is, the weight of the boulder will eventually exhaust and crush them. And if you have zero strength (no ability to cope) the boulder will crush you instantly anyway. Coping not something you can do indefinitely, but it's necessary because healing is a process that takes time, so we cope in the moment and try to work towards a more permanent solution.

Personally, therapy has been incredibly useful. I know some people here have had negative experiences with it, and I understand their scepticism. I've been very lucky with my own experience. What made me want to recover was, I guess, coming to terms with the fact that I'm probably not going to kill my self in the near future, so I may as well try to turn things around and do something meaningful with whatever time I have left here.

SpiderLink

SpiderLink

they/them
Apr 3, 2023
O
Coping is a skill, but healing is the goal. Imagine someone drops a large boulder on your shoulders. Coping would be to use all your energy and strength to avoid being crushed by the boulder, but what you ultimately need is to get it off your shoulders. No matter how strong someone is, the weight of the boulder will eventually exhaust and crush them. And if you have zero strength (no ability to cope) the boulder will crush you instantly anyway. Coping not something you can do indefinitely, but it's necessary because healing is a process that takes time, so we cope in the moment and try to work towards a more permanent solution.

Personally, therapy has been incredibly useful. I know some people here have had negative experiences with it, and I understand their scepticism. I've been very lucky with my own experience. What made me want to recover was, I guess, coming to terms with the fact that I'm probably not going to kill my self in the near future, so I may as well try to turn things around and do something meaningful with whatever time I have left here.
thanks for your input. I just keep telling the people around me I want to heal, I'm not really focused on coping.