littlelungs

littlelungs

Wizard
Oct 21, 2018
I speak English, German, Swedish, Spanish and Japanese. I'm currently learning Czech and Slovak.

I can understand quite a bit of French, just because I was exposed to it from such an early age (it's one of the official languages where I'm from) and had to study it in school, but my spoken French is god awful. I could get by with it if I had to but it's not great. I can also understand a decent amount of Dutch, especially if it's been written out, but again, I can't actually speak it that well.

I can also read and write Hebrew and can hold a very basic conversation, but nothing impressive by any means.

I've also taught myself the Cyrillic alphabet, so I can read languages like Russian, Ukrainian, etc but I have no idea what the actual words mean. Same with Arabic and Persian.

I like languages, lol.

Reactions: Ashu, WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, 𖣴 nadia 𖣴 and 1 other person
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I used to study french when I went to school but it is been a long time so I can only remember certain phrases. Apart from that I only know English, but at one point I was interested in learning Japanese due to my anime/manga interest but I'm just not motivated enough.

Reactions: unnormal9 and Ashu
Desperdición

Desperdición

Jun 24, 2021
I speak spanish, I understand catalan and portuguese, and I like the sound of german and the scandinavian languages. But I am not interested in learning any new languages.

Reactions: Ashu and 𖣴 nadia 𖣴
Z

zi99

Feb 23, 2020
Tajik and Russian are my natives. Also I try to master my English, I visit speaking club and try to use it as much as possible, particularly in this forum and by chatting with my foreign friends. I also understand farsi, because it's very similar to tajik. I love how Italian sounds, it is very beautiful language, if I had enough motivation I would learn it, but now due to depression I cant

Last edited:
Reactions: Ashu
logan

logan

Warlock
May 20, 2021
Tajik and Russian are my natives. Also I try to master my English, I visit speaking club and try to use it as much as possible, particularly in this forum and by chatting with my foreign friends. I also understand farsi, because it's very similar to tajik. I love how Italian sounds, it is very beautiful language, if I had enough motivation I would learn it, but now due to depression I cant
В свое время я изучал русский язык с 3-го класса в школе.
К сожалению, с тех пор я уже многое забыл.

Reactions: PartlyHuman
Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Always was, is, and always shall be.
Jun 22, 2020
I'm fond of Spanish and feel very at home when I hear it, having heard it so much at a company I worked at when I was in college, where I was one of only two non Spanish speakers. But French is my real love. I'm not fluent in either but I know quite a bit of each.

Reactions: Ashu and 𖣴 nadia 𖣴
Z

zi99

Feb 23, 2020
В свое время я изучал русский язык с 3-го класса в школе.
К сожалению, с тех пор я уже многое забыл.
Если захотите попрактиковать, можете написать мне.

logan

logan

Warlock
May 20, 2021
Если захотите попрактиковать, можете написать мне.
Большое спасибо. Когда у меня снова будет немного больше времени, я с радостью приму ваше предложение!

_r1a

_r1a

May 20, 2021
I speak Amharic and English. I tried to learn Ge'ez but stopped because of depression. If I feel hopeful in life (probably not going to happen) then I would like to resume my Ge'ez study and maybe also learn Arabic and Japanese.
hello fellow habesha!

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: death137
Post-war Kamikaze

Post-war Kamikaze

Jun 22, 2021
My native language is Chinese (Mandarin) and as you see, I have never mastered English though I started learning at the age of about 5.
My third language is Japanese. It is much easier to learn kanji if you have a background of Chinese but grammar of them are totally different. And I am still struggling with the honorifics.
It seems that nobody speaks Chinese here so am I the pioneer? Just kidding.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ashu, WhatDoesTheFoxSay? and 𖣴 nadia 𖣴
SelmaJezkova10

SelmaJezkova10

Amorphous and useless thing
May 24, 2021
My native language is spanish, but I also know some talkative english, i want to learn german and rusian too. (Fun fact: i always copy paste my texts in google translate to see if i wrote it well)

Reactions: Source Energy, Ashu and 𖣴 nadia 𖣴
P

PartlyHuman

Sorry for my English
Jan 10, 2021
I wonder why so much people would like to learn russian lol
Aside from my native language I speak English (somewhat) and learn brazilian portuguese...or rather, try to learn when I have random bursts of motivation.

RayofHope

RayofHope

Apr 29, 2021
A Yorkshire lass, so eh up, English speaker. Can understand a bit of German as spent a lot of holidays there as my dad is German. His dad lost on Russian front, his mum then married a British soldier. Bit of French from school and helping my kids revise. Love the musicality of the French language. It oozes romance. Did an evening course in Hebrew as would have loved to read the bible in it - and I love to see people using sign language; hands, gestures, no words. Looks beautiful.

Reactions: Ashu, _r1a and Brick In The Wall
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
English, Spanish, and Sign Language. I wouldn't mind learning French but I doubt I'll ever find the time.

B

Bleak

Student
Nov 10, 2021
I'm terrible at learning languages but sometimes make attempts at ancient Greek and Japanese.

• Wow
Reactions: Ashu, PartlyHuman and 𖣴 nadia 𖣴
ncmxm

ncmxm

Experienced
Jun 9, 2021
My first language is Russian, I speak English and I'm learning Italian (around pre intermediate now)

• Love
Reactions: Ashu and PartlyHuman
Blondi

Blondi

Iš Lietuvos
Feb 2, 2021
I speak lithuanian and english.
If I was native english speaker I wouldn't bother learning other languages at all.

WhatDoesTheFoxSay?

WhatDoesTheFoxSay?

Hold your head high, and your middle finger higher
Dec 25, 2020
Where I'm from most of us are bilingual. I speak our native language of English and my mother tongue of Chinese.

Reactions: Ashu and Pluto
gr1lledcheese

gr1lledcheese

Student
Dec 18, 2021
I love the way German sounds but I'm learning Japanese for...research purposes, I know a bit of Spanish because I always heard it growing up in my area there is a lot of Spanish speakers never bother to learn it tho
I took a couple years of German, but never got very good at it. I can sing some songs in it and ask what time it is but that's about it.

Hirokami

Hirokami

Out of order
Feb 21, 2021
日本語が話せます。けれども、英語は母国語ですよ。

Reactions: littlelungs
eternalpeace

eternalpeace

Student
Dec 19, 2021
I speak French and English, though my Ferench isn't what it used to be, as I haven't had much occasion to use it. I used to also speak Italian (relativlwy fluently), but I have lost most of it, sadly, because I don't have anyone to speak it with and I am no longer studying it. Italian is probably my favourite language. I love the pure vowels, the rolled Rs, and the different pitches going up and down. People are often more animated when they speak Italian, which suits my personality. (I remember one time a bunch of Italians were visiting a friend of mine and they kept saying that I would fit in in Italy, and that my personality is more Italian than Canadian. I always thought I would fit in better in continental Europe! My one regret is that I never got the chance to find out…)

I have also studied Spanish and German, but never became anywhere near fluent. I also studied ASL (American Sign Language) briefly, and I loved it. I was so disappointed that the school wasn't offering higher level classes. It's so different from any other language. There are a lot more facial expressions involved in communicating. It's also incredibly beautiful to watch. If I had any motivation to do anything, I would seek out an ASL class online.
I took a couple years of German, but never got very good at it. I can sing some songs in it and ask what time it is but that's about it.
I remember all the prepositions because I made a song to remember them, to the tune of "Little Shop of Horrors". I remember the phrase "ich mochte etwas zu essen" (big surprise, lol), and I remember most of the pronunciation rules, including the difference between "ie" and "ei", amd the difference between "ich" and "ach". It's really fun to say "ach"!

Last edited:
Reactions: rationaltake and Ashu
Ashu

Ashu

novelist, sanskritist, Canadian living in India
Nov 13, 2021
I read Sanskrit and Italian every day, and can begin to speak the latter, given the opportunity.

Reactions: gr1lledcheese
littlelungs

littlelungs

Wizard
Oct 21, 2018
I speak French and English, though my Ferench isn't what it used to be, as I haven't had much occasion to use it. I used to also speak Italian (relativlwy fluently), but I have lost most of it, sadly, because I don't have anyone to speak it with and I am no longer studying it. Italian is probably my favourite language. I love the pure vowels, the rolled Rs, and the different pitches going up and down. People are often more animated when they speak Italian, which suits my personality. (I remember one time a bunch of Italians were visiting a friend of mine and they kept saying that I would fit in in Italy, and that my personality is more Italian than Canadian. I always thought I would fit in better in continental Europe! My one regret is that I never got the chance to find out…)

I have also studied Spanish and German, but never became anywhere near fluent. I also studied ASL (American Sign Language) briefly, and I loved it. I was so disappointed that the school wasn't offering higher level classes. It's so different from any other language. There are a lot more facial expressions involved in communicating. It's also incredibly beautiful to watch. If I had any motivation to do anything, I would seek out an ASL class online.

I remember all the prepositions because I made a song to remember them, to the tune of "Little Shop of Horrors". I remember the phrase "ich mochte etwas zu essen" (big surprise, lol), and I remember most of the pronunciation rules, including the difference between "ie" and "ei", amd the difference between "ich" and "ach". It's really fun to say "ach"!

German speaker here; I say "ach" quite a bit – "ach so", "ach du Scheisse", "ach ja", etc. It IS pretty fun to say... oddly satisfying. :ahhha:

• Yay!
  • Love
Reactions: rationaltake, eternalpeace, Ashu and 1 other person
Hikikomori1

Hikikomori1

Experienced
Mar 27, 2023
僕は日本語を6年間勉強しています。

unnormal9

unnormal9

SOLDIER T.
Apr 12, 2023
I've studied Spanish and Japanese; particularly from my past interest with Final Fantasy VI. I apply what I've learned through my writing.

gardenofaphrodite

gardenofaphrodite

Can’t catch a break no matter what I do.
Apr 12, 2023
I only know English, however I wish I was taught Pharsi so I could speak to my bio in his native language. I was denied that choice as a child- but I struggle with comprehending new languages

Source Energy

Source Energy

I want to be where people areN'T...
Jan 23, 2023
I'm also fluent in Spanish, reading and writing, I speak Greek, reading and writing included, French ( I would survive on it but it's not perfect), Romanian and some Turkish.
If I had the time, I would learn Turkish in depth and pick up Swedish and Japanese.
I love languages.

CloudyNight

CloudyNight

Wake me up before you go go
Apr 15, 2023
My Russian speaking friends taught me Russian my dad taught me a little French and I'm taking Spanish oh I also know English of course