• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

U

Unending

-
Nov 5, 2022
As I'm sure that everybody here could agree, the majority of the population holds the view that life must go on at all costs and that there is never an acceptable circumstance for someone who isn't terminally ill to voluntarily end their life. I see immense injustice when those who have been faced with extreme suffering for years are forced to go through with such brutal acts in order to end their pain and are incarcerated, crippled, or both if they fail.

I understand that a discussion must be opened initially to change the current mainstream view on suicide/voluntary death, but feel like there must be more to do than to simply post YouTube videos discussing the issue. Furthermore, with censorship exacerbating things, a lot of online spaces don't even allow talk of suicide that isn't vehemently opposing it.

Does anybody have any thoughts on the matter?

jodes2

jodes2

Hello people ❤️
Aug 28, 2022
There's sod all that can be done. The attitude of the majority of the population needs to be changed, then politicians need to be pressured. No small task. Right to die groups are just on the fringe, not achieving much. Maybe in a few generations people will have come to their senses, but it's going to take a while. The question is, why is there a difference between countries? And how can the progressiveness of leading countries be emulated? What's stopping other countries following? Unfortunately, the USA and UK for example seem particularly stubborn. There are enough people who would froth at the mouth at the thought of permitting VAD that politicians just don't want to go there. At all. Massive taboo.

Reactions: Unending and ksp
ksp

ksp

Arcanist
Oct 1, 2022
i see one possible way - to start the movement right now:

two petitions:
  1. respect personal autonomy
  2. support voluntary euthanasia, in all countries

(petitions made by all users of our community - we could be the most effective in the world!)

i know i'm an idealist, but we can try…

note: i only included one link - because of the current transition to the new domain (.net), most links are not working properly (i hope the mods are able to fix the problems)

Last edited:
U

Unending

-
Nov 5, 2022
The question is, why is there a difference between countries? And how can the progressiveness of leading countries be emulated?
I feel pretty confident that religious people's involvement in legislation plays a big part in it in the United States as well as the obvious fact that people will not be able to understand the issue properly if they A.) see life as inherently valuable or B.) don't know what to do with their empathy or just lack it altogether.
As far as I see it, the value of one's experience in life is determined by much more than simply existing.
i see one possible way - to start the movement right now:

two petitions:
  1. respect personal autonomy
  2. support voluntary euthanasia, in all countries

(petitions made by all users of our community - we could be the most effective in the world!)

i know i'm an idealist, but we can try…
Thank you for the links, I'm taking a look at them right now.

Reactions: jodes2 and ksp
L

lionetta12

Just a random person
Aug 5, 2022
As I'm sure that everybody here could agree, the majority of the population holds the view that life must go on at all costs and that there is never an acceptable circumstance for someone who isn't terminally ill to voluntarily end their life. I see immense injustice when those who have been faced with extreme suffering for years are forced to go through with such brutal acts in order to end their pain and are incarcerated, crippled, or both if they fail.

I understand that a discussion must be opened initially to change the current mainstream view on suicide/voluntary death, but feel like there must be more to do than to simply post YouTube videos discussing the issue. Furthermore, with censorship exacerbating things, a lot of online spaces don't even allow talk of suicide that isn't vehemently opposing it.

Does anybody have any thoughts on the matter?
Join the right to die organization in your country, there usually is one or maybe more. I joined the one in my country a week ago.

bluville

bluville

Nov 30, 2022
I don't think you can, if there's anything that universal among humans is our phobia of death of themselves and others. Allowing people to die goes so against human nature I don't think the right to death movement will ever catch on.

U

Unending

-
Nov 5, 2022
It will never be socially acceptable for a young person to ctb unless they have terminal cancer or something similar
I don't think you can, if there's anything that universal among humans is our phobia of death of themselves and others.
I'm not saying that I think it's realistic for people to just let their little kids die because they're sad or whatever other made up reason, but I think it's a really depressing thought to think that we can't get any closer to the reality of individuals not being trapped in a living hell because their society has misguided views, such as the views that assume years of torment are better than death or that people with mental health conditions are incapable of being rational.

Humans have overcame their instincts and fears many times before so I think that there is some hope for right to die. Not to say that I'm optimistic, it'll probably take much longer than all of our life spans in most places in the world but I don't think it's so utterly hopeless.