• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I would prefer city life in most cases.

Better internet connection which is very important to me.
Better chances for social interactions with new people
Better infrastructure (public transport)
More stores to go shopping and more doctors and stuff like that
The people in the cities are more diverse and open-minded in my experience

Rural life is not that expensive
Nature can balance vocational stress out
It is not that loud and dirty

If I had money and would want to start a family I might consider to live in a rural area though. The schools in big cities are usually not the greatest.

What do you think?

dragonofenvy

dragonofenvy

Mage
Oct 8, 2023
I've lived in a rural area and I don't really see how it's much different from a city. Sure you have to drive further to places, but in cities you might have a shorter distance but have the same amount of time to get to that shorter distance due to traffic. My internet connection here is fine, I can get gigabit if I want but since my internet is free and several hundred Mbps down/up I'm content. I never really thought of cities as a place to interact with people. Wouldn't most people just kind of live their lives and ignore everyone? Isn't it awkward to just... stop someone on the street and try to have a conversation? Very few people do that I'd think. I think most people just want to go from point A to point B. Idk I don't live in a city maybe people love randomly chatting up randos on the street. I know it happens here in stores a lot.

The school I went to was also one of the best in the state apparently despite being an independent school district. We had smart kids there apparently because I got one A- and ended up at rank 40 in my class during my second to last year in school. Not sure if that means the school was good, bad, or if my grade was just competitive as hell. Some cities have good schools though, I don't think all cities have worse schools than rural places. Some rural schools are complete trash too.

I've got the opposite experience with open-mindedness but not in the way you think. Most people I've met when I told them I lived in a rural area thought of me as racist, uneducated, close-minded, a farmer, homophobic, and thought that I was just stupid. I once was called "cousin-fucking pond scum" by someone after they learned I lived in a rural area. They judged me because I lived in a different place from them. So now I judge urban people based on a few bad experiences I had. Maybe... people judge rural people for the bad experiences they have, or have heard of? I think it's also just a stereotype that we're like this. I don't think it's true in my experience. I just think that there's a few people who are idiots that ruin it for everyone else while I try to be a normal person like most people do.

The people who went to my rural school were pretty damn accepting of people and I don't think there was a racism or homophobia problem other than a few idiots but you're going to always have idiots wherever you go. I think people who generalize rural areas for that are only judging the morons and not for the 99% of people who just go around and live their lives like normal people, just like how I judged urban people in the above paragraph for the morons that treated me badly even though most probably wouldn't care much. It was mostly religious and class (ESPECIALLY class) problems we dealt with where I live.

I moved out of my parent's house to a place in-town and I can't stand the noise. I can't stand hearing cars drive by when trying to sleep or people doing loud things outside and I especially can't stand the fact that people litter around where I live. This is just a small town so no way I'd function living in a city but that's just a personal problem on my end honestly. Blessed are the people who can ignore noise.

We have a clinic, a dentist, grocery store, bar (because everywhere needs a bar), and some gas stations. Some cool parks and walking trails too. Basic needs met, but if you live in a city you're probably not used to the lack of options and lack of entertainment venues. Eh, most people have their preferred stores anyways and I don't like having tons of options I just pick what I like and move on. I do most of my shopping online so no need to travel to department stores. Traveling 20+ minutes to get stuff kind of sucks, and if you're someone who likes to go to movie theaters or other entertainment venues the distance is going to suck too. One thing I'll also mention is crime. Cities tend to be more violent and have more criminals (since there's more people obviously). Rural places are usually pretty chill, though it takes just one homicide to drive the per capita murder up super high. Mostly gonna just get vandalism and drug stuff. Still gotta be on guard cause you never know.

A lot of people when they get old or get money always get away from cities or take vacations to get away from them. Take that for what you will. I think it'd be cool to visit some cities but not stay there for very long. Idk I don't think cities are that bad just like rural areas aren't as bad as people think. Depends on your personality and what you're used to. Oh, and if you want to bother with a car or not. In a city you sometimes have the option to not get a car. In a rural area, yeah you have to get a car, at least here in the US you do.

Nowhere is perfect. But some places are more perfect for some people. Depends on who you are and what you want.

Last edited:
Namarupa

Namarupa

Student
Jan 24, 2024
I think it depends on where you live, though. At least in my country, big cities are violent hellscapes filled with loud, obnoxious people. I find the peace of the countryside preferable to the city's convenience.

DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023
I personally maintain residences in both. I think that they both have advantages and disadvantages, and while it might depend on the individual, for me personally: being in a pastoral or mountainous area is very relaxing to retreat from the hustle and bustle of the big city. it's a much slower pace with much less commotion and a nice sense of community. But I like the diversity and entertainment and amenities that a big city can provide. Personally, I think it can be nice to strike a balance.
Not every rural place is going to be the exact same and not every city is going to be the exact same but I think in general, it's a nice balance to have.
I personally maintain residences in both. I think that they both have advantages and disadvantages, and while it might depend on the individual, for me personally: being in a pastoral or mountainous area is very relaxing to retreat from the hustle and bustle of the big city. it's a much slower pace with much less commotion and a nice sense of community. But I like the diversity and entertainment and amenities that a big city can provide. Personally, I think it can be nice to strike a balance.
Not every rural place is going to be the exact same and not every city is going to be the exact same but I think in general, it's a nice balance to have.
Also, I'm sure I'm just scratching the surface like that other user said things might cost less in some more rural areas but in others they can be just as expensive as the big city, and I can think of some examples that my friends have lived in in my state where the cost is about equal because those are sort of resort or vacation hotspots with a lot of vacation homes. There are other factors involved, but that's just my two cents just off the top of my head 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
Both have advantages and disadvantages and this also may vary from country to country. I would say it's best to live in between city and rural area - not too far away from the amenities of cities but also not too far away from nature for recreation and all that.

ClaudeCTTE

ClaudeCTTE

Misunderstood...
Aug 22, 2023
If we talk about my country, none.

Living in a city is like living in a hell full of apes who steal your wallet and cellphone. Not to mention that cities smell like car exhaust and sewers.
Additionally, rent is excessively expensive due to gentrification, as for foreigners my country is super cheap, but now for locals, rent can be double or triple what they earn in a month.
The only advantage is that there's a variety of places to visit. And not only that, you have the opportunity to meet open-minded people.

On the other hand, living in a rural area seems nice because you're more exposed to nature, however, none of this is true because towns or rural areas are plagued with greenhouses and farms that reek of cow manure.
And don't think it's safer because in towns there's usually more illegal activity, mainly due to drug production, and authorities tend to be allied with drug traffickers.
People tend to be very traditional and closed-minded. Their beliefs are influenced by Catholicism and rural life. They're not capable of understanding the modern world, and their perception of the world is limited. It's no surprise that for that reason, I've never been able to socialize and fit in with the people in my town.
If I had the same mindset as the people in my town, I wouldn't know about the existence of this forum...

trashprincess

trashprincess

She/Slur
Aug 8, 2023
My preference has been for large suburbs.

Has all the important things cities have, without the overwhelming stress of being in the city 👍

Am queer so generally wary of anything rural. My current town basically pretends to be rural and I do NOT feel safe here 🙃