KiraComplex

KiraComplex

sugar, spice…
Aug 31, 2019
Maybe. In my case, considering the structure and rules, my experience was similar to @catharticEscapism , except that in the clinic I stayed at, there was a "high security section" and "low security section". High security is where apparently most patients stayed and was full of cameras, no privacy. After a few days I was moved to low security as I was considered not a threat to myself or others (even though I was there for attempted suicide).
There was no cameras and I was allowed alone time. There was a major flaw there, I noticed I could have made a rope out of my bedsheets, tied it to the bathroom window, and hanged myself. I contemplated this idea all the time while I was there, but ended up not acting on it. It was for the best, I wasn't knowledgeable in hanging as I am now.
What kind of people were at high security?

Reactions: Baskol1
CURSED again

CURSED again

please help
Aug 15, 2019
in florida it was hell - treated like dirt - made to take drugs - not allowed phone - watch you every 15 minutes at night - made to get up at 5 or 6 am to line up in hall for blood pressure and drugs - have to do diff things all day long or your looked down on - like being in boot camp only without the respect.

• Aww..
Reactions: Lennox, KiraComplex and Baskol1
KiraComplex

KiraComplex

sugar, spice…
Aug 31, 2019
in florida it was hell - treated like dirt - made to take drugs - not allowed phone - watch you every 15 minutes at night - made to get up at 5 or 6 am to line up in hall for blood pressure and drugs - have to do diff things all day long or your looked down on - like being in boot camp only without the respect.
That literally sounds like a prison wtf

Reactions: CURSED again and Baskol1
Ky204

Ky204

Sep 3, 2019
I was hospitalized for 2 months in a psychiatric institution. I was 16 at the time so I wasn't really given any other option.
It was pretty horrible in my experience just from the privacy aspect alone. We were watched 24/7, our meals were controlled and we would have to finish everything on our plates, given our meds where they would make sure we actually swallowed them and also had to be surveyed when showering or even going to the bathroom. The rooms were locked at night with a little window where they would usually flash their flashlights through to check on us and everything about it was just uncomfortable. There was no internet, tv or cellphones so books became my escape to pass the time. We were weighed every morning at 5am and the lights were shut off by 9pm. It's not a place I would ever want to end up in again, I'm an introvert by nature and not being able to have any time alone was horrible. I understand it's helpful for some people but at the time my only goal was to pretend I was improving in order to get the hell out of there, so I essentially had to manipulate my way out. I met some cool people there but it's not a place I would ever recommend to anyone.

• Wow
  • Hugs
Reactions: Neville1, Baskol1, KiraComplex and 1 other person
Lennox

Lennox

No alarms, and no surprises...
Jul 21, 2019
What kind of people were at high security?
All kinds of people. Most appeared either friendly or kept to themselves. But there was a couple of guys who were clearly manic (even though apparently being medicated) , one who acted like he was on a very bad LSD trip, and one guy who was very aggressive upon arriving, physically threatening staff and yelling, but suddenly became very mellow after medication.

Reactions: Neville1, Baskol1 and KiraComplex
E

EmptySteph62

Student
Aug 4, 2019
In my experience its nothing like television, there are a lot of people who are also mentally sick but I've never seen someone who was "crazy" like on TV. It is really traumatic if you're involuntarily there, but if you go in of your own free will and are well behaved and actively seeking help it isn't too bad.
Again that's just my experience so I can't speak for everyone and if you're taken in against your will they tend to give you less freedom and are a lot more strict, and this can sometimes come across the wrong way on their part, making it really scary and traumatic for the people locked up.
Overall I'd say if you want help from the hospital you should be okay going in and asking for it, just be aware that you might be there longer than expected.
Hope this helps!!

• Love
Reactions: Lennox and KiraComplex
KiraComplex

KiraComplex

sugar, spice…
Aug 31, 2019
All kinds of people. Most appeared either friendly or kept to themselves. But there was a couple of guys who were clearly manic (even though apparently being medicated) , one who acted like he was on a very bad LSD trip, and one guy who was very aggressive upon arriving, physically threatening staff and yelling, but suddenly became very mellow after medication.
Yea, i sort of got the impression that a lot of people there are just going day by day and minding to themselves so they can leave. Nothing like the movies.

Reactions: Baskol1 and Lennox
CURSED again

CURSED again

please help
Aug 15, 2019
That literally sounds like a prison wtf
Yea, i sort of got the impression that a lot of people there are just going day by day and minding to themselves so they can leave. Nothing like the movies.
yes it was a mixture of diff types - some i think truly had some legit mental problems but i was just someone in their 60's depressed with physical problems that dared to try to take my own life so of course i got punished for it and have to pretend that life is a bowl of cherries - yes it was a prison. People never know whats going to happen to them - feel fine for years but then things can change unexpectadly and since government and society "own" our bodies i get punished for wanting to exit - they would rather i live in misery - how kind of them.

Reactions: Notcutoutforlife, KiraComplex, Neville1 and 1 other person
N

Neville1

Student
Aug 26, 2019
Thank you to all for sharing what was an extremely traumatic experience. This is a very articulate, thoughtful and intelligent group and, based on your lack of success with suicide, it obvious that it is extremely difficult. I'll definitely be noting any advice from this group for avoiding failure. My best wishes for your endeavors, staying or exiting.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Notcutoutforlife, KiraComplex and Baskol1
F

Frank

Aug 22, 2019
I was in twice once for a month and once for 7 months. It's mostly as previously said boring. You have little to no freedom sometimes surprisingly normal things are restricted. Privacy wasn't as much of an issue were I was but you will be checked at night. Some will be nice about this others will put a flashlight in your face. I actually had to be put on sleeping pills because I couldn't sleep anymore which sucked because I always woke up with what felt as a hangover (prob due to a too high dossages but goodluck getting a doctor even tho you're in a hospital). Everything what you do will be put in a routine which might actually help but if you're the type of person who finds free will important that's going to suck. Food was also awful although we were allowed to cook ourselves 2 times a week which made it better. On the actual mental help level it might be dissapointing for some since they apply a wide variety of therapy most of which won't work for you. For example I often had to draw or paint or something which was/is something I truly dislike so it just pissed me off but there are other therapys like with horses which were less annoying to me but still felt pointless. About your other "inmates" (really no better worth for it) don't worry about them most are just minding there own business although I wouldn't recommend getting too close to any of them or atleast don't give them means to find you once you're out. There was this one transgender guy who was really quiet and mostly just nice but after he left I gave him some of my social media and as it turned out he's very talkative and annoying on there. If any of them do or say something you can't handle just press the nearest help button no sense in getting locked up longer or losing privileges for those assholes. On the topic of privileges being cooperative polite and mature in general can for sure get you some goodwil and even actual material perks like soda or other stuff if the staf likes you. Even in the worst case scenario they don't think you're a problem and leave you alone or they might jsut have a normal conversation with you which goes a long way to feeling like an actual person again. Anyway if you have more questions you can always pm me and don't forget this was myexperience could be different in another mental hospital for sure if we're crossing borders!

• Hugs
Reactions: KiraComplex
kappa

kappa

Experienced
Apr 2, 2019
I was in one for a week (7 days) after a massive Xanax overdose. The first two days I don't remember much because the Xanax fucked me up. I was off for those day, but do remember some parts. I am a small female, and they actually put me in a male ward because they said they had no room in the women's. On the second day I was asked to be moved because there was this one guy that would knock on my door and wait there and peak in, or sit by me and stare at me. It didn't feel safe.

I was moved on day 3. The weekends didn't count as day apparently, so my 5 day stay was actually 7. The food was horrible, and I couldn't eat it. I was so anxious I would gag on my food. I asked to eat in my room on the bed for that reason, but they weren't happy about that and told me not to.

Some people were a little crazy, others just had problems. One lady who spoke to herself told me she was going to kill me and staff didn't care. We didn't watch TV, we weren't allowed to expect a couple of nights we could pick one movie. They had puzzles for free time, and some coloring. You wear scrubs, and even special undies that were taken everyday to be washed.

If you smoked, you were given this little device that you sucked on for nicotine and could carry that around whenever. You couldn't have personal belongings. Checks were down on everyone through out the whole night. Yes they give you a blanket but in my case there was nothing to tie it to so no you couldn't harm yourself. Plastic spoons/forks. NO KNIFES of any kind.

A Dr. would see you every few days and try to give you drugs. I denied extra drugs. They were really pushy and didn't want you to ask questions, but to take the pills. Blood pressure and all were tested every day in the morning. They did have visiting hours each night. I started crying on day 3 in the visits because I wanted to go home so bad. Don't check yourself in- I felt worse in there and wanted to kill myself MORE by being in there.

I think I got 1 therapy session kind of. The last day you don't know when you get to leave. You wait all day until they tell you that you could leave now. It sucks, and made me not want to try overdosing again because I would hate to fail AND end up in that shit place.

One girl checked herself in because she was homeless and also had mental issues, seemed a little slower but very sweet. Another girl told the staff, "Hey, you guys need to get her therapy. Because she is using me as a therapist and she is talking about her rapes, and violent past and I can't deal with it!" The same girl went crazy crying because she was having rape flashbacks. So what did they do? They loaded her up with so much Xanax that she couldn't walk to her bed. We had to help her to her bed. They also threatened to give you some sort of shot on your ass check if you went hay wire. I think this happened to her. No idea what it was... some kind of sedative. Scary shit. My mother said it reminded her of One flew over the Cuckoo's nest. She walked in for visiting and the staff was playing classical music LOUD AS FUCK over the speakers... we all thought it seemed loud... weird shit. The visitors asked to have the music down because no one could hear anything.

Reactions: KiraComplex
KiraComplex

KiraComplex

sugar, spice…
Aug 31, 2019
I was in one for a week (7 days) after a massive Xanax overdose. The first two days I don't remember much because the Xanax fucked me up. I was off for those day, but do remember some parts. I am a small female, and they actually put me in a male ward because they said they had no room in the women's. On the second day I was asked to be moved because there was this one guy that would knock on my door and wait there and peak in, or sit by me and stare at me. It didn't feel safe.

I was moved on day 3. The weekends didn't count as day apparently, so my 5 day stay was actually 7. The food was horrible, and I couldn't eat it. I was so anxious I would gag on my food. I asked to eat in my room on the bed for that reason, but they weren't happy about that and told me not to.

Some people were a little crazy, others just had problems. One lady who spoke to herself told me she was going to kill me and staff didn't care. We didn't watch TV, we weren't allowed to expect a couple of nights we could pick one movie. They had puzzles for free time, and some coloring. You wear scrubs, and even special undies that were taken everyday to be washed.

If you smoked, you were given this little device that you sucked on for nicotine and could carry that around whenever. You couldn't have personal belongings. Checks were down on everyone through out the whole night. Yes they give you a blanket but in my case there was nothing to tie it to so no you couldn't harm yourself. Plastic spoons/forks. NO KNIFES of any kind.

A Dr. would see you every few days and try to give you drugs. I denied extra drugs. They were really pushy and didn't want you to ask questions, but to take the pills. Blood pressure and all were tested every day in the morning. They did have visiting hours each night. I started crying on day 3 in the visits because I wanted to go home so bad. Don't check yourself in- I felt worse in there and wanted to kill myself MORE by being in there.

I think I got 1 therapy session kind of. The last day you don't know when you get to leave. You wait all day until they tell you that you could leave now. It sucks, and made me not want to try overdosing again because I would hate to fail AND end up in that shit place.

One girl checked herself in because she was homeless and also had mental issues, seemed a little slower but very sweet. Another girl told the staff, "Hey, you guys need to get her therapy. Because she is using me as a therapist and she is talking about her rapes, and violent past and I can't deal with it!" The same girl went crazy crying because she was having rape flashbacks. So what did they do? They loaded her up with so much Xanax that she couldn't walk to her bed. We had to help her to her bed. They also threatened to give you some sort of shot on your ass check if you went hay wire. I think this happened to her. No idea what it was... some kind of sedative. Scary shit. My mother said it reminded her of One flew over the Cuckoo's nest. She walked in for visiting and the staff was playing classical music LOUD AS FUCK over the speakers... we all thought it seemed loud... weird shit. The visitors asked to have the music down because no one could hear anything.
I feel bad for the woman :(
It really does sound awful.
I was in twice once for a month and once for 7 months. It's mostly as previously said boring. You have little to no freedom sometimes surprisingly normal things are restricted. Privacy wasn't as much of an issue were I was but you will be checked at night. Some will be nice about this others will put a flashlight in your face. I actually had to be put on sleeping pills because I couldn't sleep anymore which sucked because I always woke up with what felt as a hangover (prob due to a too high dossages but goodluck getting a doctor even tho you're in a hospital). Everything what you do will be put in a routine which might actually help but if you're the type of person who finds free will important that's going to suck. Food was also awful although we were allowed to cook ourselves 2 times a week which made it better. On the actual mental help level it might be dissapointing for some since they apply a wide variety of therapy most of which won't work for you. For example I often had to draw or paint or something which was/is something I truly dislike so it just pissed me off but there are other therapys like with horses which were less annoying to me but still felt pointless. About your other "inmates" (really no better worth for it) don't worry about them most are just minding there own business although I wouldn't recommend getting too close to any of them or atleast don't give them means to find you once you're out. There was this one transgender guy who was really quiet and mostly just nice but after he left I gave him some of my social media and as it turned out he's very talkative and annoying on there. If any of them do or say something you can't handle just press the nearest help button no sense in getting locked up longer or losing privileges for those assholes. On the topic of privileges being cooperative polite and mature in general can for sure get you some goodwil and even actual material perks like soda or other stuff if the staf likes you. Even in the worst case scenario they don't think you're a problem and leave you alone or they might jsut have a normal conversation with you which goes a long way to feeling like an actual person again. Anyway if you have more questions you can always pm me and don't forget this was myexperience could be different in another mental hospital for sure if we're crossing borders!
Really, i dont know how theyre trying to help patients.
Glad you got a friend out of it though.