DeathSleep

DeathSleep

Unstable Potato
May 25, 2023
For those who have high anxiety, what helps you?
For me, thinking about dying actually helps. Going to my happy place helps even though it's imaginary. Being mindful of my breathing helps a little. Also, things like coloring helps.
I've never been on a med that helped very much with anxiety. Knowing my history they won't give me certain meds anyways.
Has anyone here managed to basically overcome anxiety to the point of not really having it anymore? If so, then how did you do it?
I wish I could permanently cure my anxiety.

Reactions: leaf23, hana0, The anhedonic one and 1 other person
cgrtt.brns

cgrtt.brns

wandering ghost (he/him)
Apr 19, 2023
wearing a hat, headphones, mask and big hoodie helps me feel a little more hidden. i want to get some sunglasses as well so i dont have to worry about looking people in the eyes. i also have a fidget toy with me all the time that i find helps when im getting too overwhelmed or i have to wait somewhere it helps keep my mind from spiralling a bit.
ive also never found meds that help with my anxiety. im on two different meds for anxiety rn and neither of them help, but they help with other things which is weird.
the weird thing is when im with a friend who also has anxiety my anxiety isnt as bad, i still feel rly uncomfortable around lots of people but if my friend is scared to ask a shop assistant for something ill immediately go and do it for them. but if i was on my own or with someone whos more outgoing than me (which is most ppl tbh) i wouldnt even consider asking anyone for help.
other than that im still just as clueless. i wish i didnt have anxiety, id be able to do so many more things its so annoying.

Reactions: ferret-in-a-sock, leaf23, hana0 and 3 others
Sweet Tart

Sweet Tart

Arcanist
May 10, 2023
As i've gotten older, my anxiety has actually improved and my depression has worsened. I used to think: if I can get over my anxiety to do x,y,z then I will be free to be happy. But it hasn't worked that way. I've struggled to get past my anxiety and done things I didn't think I could do... but that didn't make me less depressed. At most, it was distraction. Distraction is really my only strategy for dealing with anxiety these days.

I feel relief when wearing a comfortable nightgown, sleeping, getting stoned, taking benzos, gaming, and spending time with my cat (or other animals, even just watching nature docs). Getting away from people is key, as they are the main source of my anxiety. I get so much shit for doing the above things (except taking benzos, which are prescribed), as if i'm doing them for fun, when i'm actually doing them just to make it thru the day.

Reactions: leaf23, The anhedonic one, skybluesuicide and 3 others
skybluesuicide

skybluesuicide

May 31, 2023
When it's an available option I go Into this small room in my house, lock the doors, close the curtains, and then I just lie down. I make up all these scenarios in my head of myself being happy in the future, having an ideal life, and sometimes I even think what my life would've been like without mental illness. I just allow my mind to drift away and it gives me such relief. Though, when I come back to reality I often find myself feeling worse than I did before so it's kinda a double-edged sword.

• Love
Reactions: leaf23, cgrtt.brns, Artictart and 2 others
noxu77

noxu77

Flip a coin ,take a chance.
May 29, 2023
Anxiety is a complex topic in and of itself, but I have started researching methods to control or completely eliminate it. I'm not forcing you, but I would suggest that you read into this thread

Reactions: leaf23 and The anhedonic one
The anhedonic one

The anhedonic one

Dead inside
May 20, 2023
Up until a few weeks ago I used to do lots of excercise to burn off my nervous energy.
It did help, but the effects of excercise would wear off after a few hours and I'd start being anxious again.
I don't bother excercising anymore to combat anxiety.
Meds and therapy never really helped me, so I'm now planning on taking up drinking again.
My CTB is inevitable, so I may as well have a bit of fun getting seriously fucked-up before I put myself out of my misery.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: leaf23, cgrtt.brns and hana0
hana0

hana0

May 27, 2023
wearing a hat, headphones, mask and big hoodie helps me feel a little more hidden. i want to get some sunglasses as well so i dont have to worry about looking people in the eyes. i also have a fidget toy with me all the time that i find helps when im getting too overwhelmed or i have to wait somewhere it helps keep my mind from spiralling a bit.
ive also never found meds that help with my anxiety. im on two different meds for anxiety rn and neither of them help, but they help with other things which is weird.
the weird thing is when im with a friend who also has anxiety my anxiety isnt as bad, i still feel rly uncomfortable around lots of people but if my friend is scared to ask a shop assistant for something ill immediately go and do it for them. but if i was on my own or with someone whos more outgoing than me (which is most ppl tbh) i wouldnt even consider asking anyone for help.
other than that im still just as clueless. i wish i didnt have anxiety, id be able to do so many more things its so annoying.
I relate to what you said about being around people who are anxious. In a weird way I get more motivated to go through something stressful when I have to do it for someone else

• Love
Reactions: leaf23, cgrtt.brns and The anhedonic one
thechamp

thechamp

I Love Life - Nihilism Is Retarded
May 26, 2023
For those who have high anxiety, what helps you?
For me, thinking about dying actually helps. Going to my happy place helps even though it's imaginary. Being mindful of my breathing helps a little. Also, things like coloring helps.
I've never been on a med that helped very much with anxiety. Knowing my history they won't give me certain meds anyways.
Has anyone here managed to basically overcome anxiety to the point of not really having it anymore? If so, then how did you do it?
I wish I could permanently cure my anxiety.
I used to have some horrible, bottom of the barrel terrible anxiety, ranting and just a complete inability to deal with pressure or stress. Now that I have cured it just over a year ago, I forget I even had that issue and I love it. As cliche as it is, being optimistic and not letting your demons get to you is one of the best things you can do. As a solo athlete, I always went to competitions completely nervous and wrecked, thinking I'd lose all my fights and practically willing it into existence. The last time I went to a competition, I had the mindset of DOING my best. Not "Oh, I'm going to try my best but I don't think I can do it....", DOING your best. How on Earth can anyone beat anxiety walking into something thinking they're fucked in the first place? Was also the first competition in that sport that I won. I could go on about other things that helped but that's something you can do today, no bs involved, I just used fighting as an example but really this goes for everything.

Reactions: The anhedonic one and leaf23