• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3b
    oei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

FadingDawn

FadingDawn

Experienced
Jul 18, 2023
About people who claim "well, suicidal people don't have it that bad, they're just privledged crybabies -- some people are starving, etc; so why do they complain? So why dont u jest get on with working and donate some money to a random charity," etc

Last edited:
Reactions: UmbraDweller, EvisceratedJester, DoomValuer and 15 others
sserafim

sserafim

they say it’s darkest of all before the dawn
Sep 13, 2023
It invalides our suffering. It's the oppression Olympics. Just because someone else has it worse doesn't mean that your situation isn't bad. You're justified to feel the way you do. It's okay to not be okay

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Informative
Reactions: ViniTerrible, bussy, thebelljarrr and 36 others
Goku Black

Goku Black

Global Mod
Jun 5, 2023
Low effort bs in an attempt to invalidate your own struggles for the sake of highlighting that others have it worse so you should be grateful that you have your problems at the expense of someone else having it much, much worse but by that logic then the only person who should be in any position to complain about their problems is the person who has the most problems out of anyone alive right now.

Reactions: EvisceratedJester, xinino, mtoro998 and 17 others
FadingDawn

FadingDawn

Experienced
Jul 18, 2023
It invalides our suffering. It's the oppression Olympics. Just because someone else has it worse doesn't mean that your situation isn't bad. You're justified to feel the way you do
Agreed; it's quite disgusting and shameless

• Love
Reactions: scarlet-pixie, xinino, myusername890 and 6 others
thewalkingdread

thewalkingdread

Life is a pointless, undeserved, unnecessary pain.
Oct 30, 2023
an attempt to invalidate your own struggles for the sake of highlighting that others have it worse so you should be grateful
Exactly...

Its just an unempathic "alcoholic blend" of Toxic Positivity with Enforced Gratitude shoved down one's throat.

Reactions: Archness, myusername890, AshersGirl and 7 others
I

iloverachel

Enlightened
Mar 7, 2024
Depends on how they say it
Some might say it to make you feel better about your situation
Others say it to invalidate our struggles

I think it's not a good thing to say in general
I remember talking to someone about being depressed and they were like talking about how some people are starving or having limbs blown off in war. That just makes me feel worse thinking about those others who have it worse. Seeing others struggle is saddening

Reactions: myusername890, AshersGirl, rozeske and 7 others
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
It's BS. Suffering is suffering regardless what it is. It's always subjective. When someone contemplates suicide the suffering must be already unbearable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yuki_03, myusername890, AshersGirl and 7 others
Eudaimonic

Eudaimonic

I want to fade away.
Aug 11, 2023
It's nonsense. They are simply citing examples of even more extreme suffering as if that somehow devalues the extreme suffering many of us experience.
Suffering is suffering. Mild suffering is still morally reprehensible.

Reactions: scarlet-pixie, myusername890, AshersGirl and 5 others
EmptyHeaded

EmptyHeaded

Experienced
Jan 24, 2024
I agree with what everyone else here already said; it's nonsense. However, I can't deny that it applies to me.

• Hugs
Reactions: scarlet-pixie, SoulCage, AshersGirl and 3 others
Time4Peace

Time4Peace

What the hell I'm doing here?
Apr 9, 2024
Logic isn't equal to empathy. Ever.

Reactions: divinemistress36, AshersGirl, Praestat_Mori and 1 other person
astonishedturnip

astonishedturnip

Like Christine Chubbuck, but sadder
Jan 16, 2024
Well damn, is that starving kid in Africa gonna come over here and unfuck my brain chemistry?

All it does is bring shame and discomfort to the person who's having those feelings. "Like I didn't feel bad enough already, now I know I'm a selfish piece of shit..." Maybe it's effective on people who are inherently non-suicidal and going through a frustrated period but who say they will CTB without intent -- but for the majority of cases it's so stupid. Not everyone has the same level of resilience. Besides, isn't the oft-repeated quote, "Be kind, for everyone is going through a horrible struggle"? Suddenly they're not...?

• Yay!
Reactions: voc_89, locked*n*loaded, thewalkingdread and 11 others
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
Other people do have it worse than me and that's why I need to kill myself in order to stop consuming resources that would be better spent on them instead of being wasted on me.

• Hugs
Reactions: locked*n*loaded, thewalkingdread, SoulCage and 8 others
sserafim

sserafim

they say it’s darkest of all before the dawn
Sep 13, 2023
I agree with what everyone else here already said; it's nonsense. However, I can't deny that it applies to me.
Sometimes I feel like I don't actually have it *that* bad, and that my reason to ctb is stupid. I just want to avoid being a slave to the system as well as getting old. I don't know if that's "worth" killing yourself over

• Hugs
Reactions: AshersGirl, Praestat_Mori, thewalkingdread and 1 other person
Dark Moon

Dark Moon

Wizard
Sep 21, 2022
Well my situation isn't as bad as starving kids in the third world countries but I'm still suffering regardless. It's kind of ignorance from them.

Reactions: thewalkingdread, AshersGirl, Praestat_Mori and 3 others
J

Jorms_McGander

Arcanist
Oct 17, 2023
I think people would do better not to volunteer comparisons like that unless they are therapeutically educated, and if they were they'd know better than to spout off just because they feel a certain way about somebody else's business.

In my own private internal world I do sometimes benefit from comparison. I still have to get through every day between now and my death and I don't want to die miserable. I want to die well adjusted and at peace with my life, and comparison is a practical coping mechanism to use but yeah it's not going to rewrite my entire life story, it'll never give me extra willpower or repair the damage to my impulse control. It's offensive for people to offer a simple coping mechanism as the solution to existential malaise. Like thanks for the super obvious suggestion bro.

Reactions: AshersGirl, Praestat_Mori and sserafim
derpyderpins

derpyderpins

I was wrong
Sep 19, 2023
About people who claim "well, suicidal people don't have it that bad, they're just privledged crybabies -- some people are starving, etc; so why do they complain? So why dont u jest get on with working and donate some money to a random charity," etc
If someone else having it worse means I should be happy, then logic dictates anyone else having it better means I should be sad. So, yeah, stupid.

Reactions: AshersGirl, rozeske, Praestat_Mori and 3 others
S

sadman710

Student
Mar 22, 2024
It's been used on me. The ones who say it are usually trying to deflect having any real empathy towards me. Usually the types who will screw me over too.

Reactions: AshersGirl, Praestat_Mori, tbroken and 1 other person
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Tortured by evil humans
Sep 24, 2020
Nobody should be obligated to continue existing no matter what drivel people like that say. In my case I'd prefer to not exist no matter what, there's no point and value to suffering so senselessly in this futile, evil existence. The fact that there is no limit as to how much one can suffer makes me despise existing even more and make suicide feel very rational for me, it's tragic how anyone has to suffer as a result of the abomination that is existence.

Reactions: thewalkingdread, Praestat_Mori and sserafim
F

F@#$

Freedom seeker
Nov 8, 2023
Others have it worse? That's too bad. Doesn't make my misery any less.

• Hugs
Reactions: FadingDawn, locked*n*loaded, mtoro998 and 5 others
escape_from_hell

escape_from_hell

Experienced
Feb 22, 2024
It speaks volumes doesn't it?
The great gratitude you should be experiencing in life is that although you are miserable and suffering constantly, it could actually be worse. That's a great reason to keep going, right?

Reactions: locked*n*loaded, AshersGirl, Praestat_Mori and 1 other person
EmptyHeaded

EmptyHeaded

Experienced
Jan 24, 2024
Sometimes I feel like I don't actually have it *that* bad, and that my reason to ctb is stupid. I just want to avoid being a slave to the system as well as getting old. I don't know if that's "worth" killing yourself over
It's worth it if it's worth it to you. For me it's that I actually don't have it bad at all, yet I do nothing at all and then just ctb.

• Hugs
Reactions: scarlet-pixie, AshersGirl, broth0100 and 2 others
L

Ligottian

Warlock
Dec 19, 2021
Some people have it worse than me. Others have it better. How does that have to do with my own personal suffering?

Reactions: locked*n*loaded, mtoro998, AshersGirl and 3 others
glossble

glossble

homesick ⭒
Apr 14, 2023
It only makes me feel worse because other people are suffering too lol

How is this even supposed to help suicidal people other than to make us feel guilty?? ( •᷄‎ࡇ•᷅ )

Reactions: scarlet-pixie, divinemistress36, AshersGirl and 4 others
Abyssal

Abyssal

Kill me
Nov 26, 2023
Obvious. Also annoying.

You hear that shit here sometimes too, it's why I keep my personal shit secret because gatekeepers of suicide get high off making you feel inadequate.

Reactions: scarlet-pixie, AshersGirl, Praestat_Mori and 1 other person
tbroken

tbroken

Wizard
Feb 22, 2024
It is bs and doesn't even deserve an answer. Also the perception of pain is a relative thing, loosing 10K may be a problem for you and not for me and vice versa.

Reactions: AshersGirl, Praestat_Mori and sserafim
MatrixPrisoner

MatrixPrisoner

Enlightened
Jul 8, 2023
A lot of people have it better than us, too. So there is no point to that argument.

Reactions: DeathOfKane, scarlet-pixie, divinemistress36 and 5 others
melancholymallory03

melancholymallory03

Do cats live nine lives ? Or do humans ⏰
Feb 20, 2024
Stupid point , irrelevant argument. Non sensical and a sign of ignorance and lack of compassion for others. Agree with the fellow in the comment section ,

Reactions: DeathOfKane, scarlet-pixie, AshersGirl and 3 others
Orangee

Orangee

I want to leave this sad world
Apr 6, 2024
Suffering should never be a contest, just because someone is suffering more, doesn't mean we are not allowed to feel suffering. It's completely illogical and unempathetic to say that. It wont make anyone's suicidal thoughts go away, and in the end only serves to help whoever is saying it relieve their frustrations and selfish needs.

Reactions: AshersGirl, lovedread, Praestat_Mori and 1 other person
T

thenamingofcats

annihilation anxiety
Apr 19, 2024
It's a losing game. They just don't want to deal with a suicidal person.

Reactions: Sprite_Geist, AshersGirl, Praestat_Mori and 1 other person
anxiousmess0471

anxiousmess0471

Feb 4, 2024
I've noticed that some people use the "others have it worse" thing to convince you that your life is worth living. And others use it to make you feel guilty about feeling a certain way. Either way, it's not beneficial and makes most people hate themselves even more. It's also incredibly invalidating. It doesn't make sense that in order to gain any sort of sympathy, you have to be in the worst condition possible. You shouldn't have to experience those things in order to be able to feel bad about yourself. Everyone lives their own life and has their own struggles. There's no need to point out someone suffering as being worse or better than that of another person. People who say things like this truly have 0 compassion and self awareness. Life is not a game where we outcompete each other to see who is more successful or who is more miserable.

Reactions: scarlet-pixie, Sprite_Geist, KuriGohan&Kamehameha and 4 others