Jumper Geo

Jumper Geo

Life's a bitch and then you die.
Feb 23, 2020
In the film below where you have to charge your timer to stay young and stay alive. You can plan your suicide to perfection 12 hours drive to the desert get very drunk and stoned and time it so you just don't wake up.

Cheers

Geo

Reactions: Celerity
Broken Buzz

Broken Buzz

Space Ranger
Apr 30, 2021
I might be misunderstanding this, but if it's only a simulator, it merely shows him how normal, happy people live, but doesn't turn him into one.
It is as if a man in a wheelchair experiences what it's like to walk in some simulator, only to step out to find himself in his wheelchair again.
Even if he could spend the rest of his life in the simulator, he will always be aware of the illusion.
This reminds me of how people who are born with healthy vision but later lose their sight continue to see unimpeded in dreams (our own natural simulator). Those in a wheelchair may sore through the air across lakes and mountains, unbounded by their gravitational cage; only to wake from the nocturnal simulation amazed or tortured, depending on their perspective.

Celerity

Celerity

shape without form, shade without colour
Jan 24, 2021
I might be misunderstanding this, but if it's only a simulator, it merely shows him how normal, happy people live, but doesn't turn him into one.
It is as if a man in a wheelchair experiences what it's like to walk in some simulator, only to step out to find himself in his wheelchair again.
Even if he could spend the rest of his life in the simulator, he will always be aware of the illusion.
Oh, yeah, that would suck.

All Things Must Pass

All Things Must Pass

Mage
Apr 14, 2021
Prosthetics that are better than the real counterpart.

Celerity

Celerity

Jan 24, 2021
Prosthetics that are better than the real counterpart.
I've always dreamed of eyes that could see a sharper image, zoom in and out, and see colors we can't see or maybe see in the dark.

Reactions: Jumper Geo and Broken Buzz
Broken Buzz

Broken Buzz

Space Ranger
Apr 30, 2021
I've always dreamed of eyes that could see a sharper image, zoom in and out, and see colors we can't see or maybe see in the dark.
I like the idea of having super-eyes. I've recently been trying to teach myself how to echolocate, it's difficult to make progress without the proper guidance but I like a challenge, and it would be nice to gain the ability to effectively 'see' in the dark. I'd also love the ability to focus my eyes to see through walls or see two different views simultaneously. If any boffins are reading, please get to work inventing that...

Jumper Geo

Jumper Geo

Life's a bitch and then you die.
Feb 23, 2020

Some people who had near-death experiences said they saw colours in HD and they couldn't describe the colour.

Cheers

Geo

Celerity

Celerity

Jan 24, 2021
Some people who had near-death experiences said they saw colours in HD and they couldn't describe the colour.

Cheers

Geo
Maybe they lack the vocabulary! :-D

But on a more serious note, I bet all sorts of mind-bending shit happens in near-death experiences.

Reactions: Jumper Geo
Broken Buzz

Broken Buzz

Space Ranger
Apr 30, 2021

Cheers

Geo
This is also a feature of some vivid lucid dreams and prophetic or spiritual dreams and can be related to the specific activation of certain parts of the visual cortex. So you can recreate the experience of "seeing in HD" or seeing things "more real than real" either in certain kinds of dream (there are some convincing arguments that NDEs are a form of vivid dreams) or by electrical stimulation of those parts of the brain (the same technique can also trigger NDE-like experiences).

Having experienced it myself, I'd struggle to describe it as anything but the most brilliant and heavenly shade of light, something even brighter and richer than the sunniest of sunny days.

Reactions: Jumper Geo and Celerity
Celerity

Celerity

Jan 24, 2021
This is also a feature of some vivid lucid dreams and prophetic or spiritual dreams and can be related to the specific activation of certain parts of the visual cortex. So you can recreate the experience of "seeing in HD" or seeing things "more real than real" either in certain kinds of dream (there are some convincing arguments that NDEs are a form of vivid dreams) or by electrical stimulation of those parts of the brain (the same technique can also trigger NDE-like experiences).

Having experienced it myself, I'd struggle to describe it as anything but the most brilliant and heavenly shade of light, something even brighter and richer than the sunniest of sunny days.
Wow, that sounds amazing. Kinda jealous.

Reactions: Jumper Geo and Broken Buzz
Broken Buzz

Broken Buzz

Space Ranger
Apr 30, 2021
Wow, that sounds amazing. Kinda jealous.
Let's put it this way, the first time I ever experienced it was in a vivid dream that inspired my entire career as an oneirologist. I think I've only experienced it once or twice since then, less intensely. Honestly, nothing can re-capture that first time, you can see how NDE's can be such life changing experiences.

Celerity

Celerity

Jan 24, 2021
Let's put it this way, the first time I ever experienced it was in a vivid dream that inspired my entire career as an oneirologist. I think I've only experienced it once or twice since then, less intensely. Honestly, nothing can re-capture that first time, you can see how NDE's can be such life changing experiences.
Didn't know there was a term for that. So were you an academic or a hobbyist?

Reactions: Broken Buzz
Broken Buzz

Broken Buzz

Space Ranger
Apr 30, 2021
Didn't know there was a term for that. So were you an academic or a hobbyist?
A little of both in a way. I don't work for a university, but I'm published and a lot of my research is funded, I also ran a successful clinical practice doing work mostly with nightmares although I'm on hiatus from that at the moment.

It's also a hobby though, I keep a dream journal, lucid dream once or twice a week and engineer dreams over the weekend (you don't want to artificially plan your dreams too often as natural dreams are an important part of emotional regulation and insights into your subconscious).

Apologies for the spam, it's something I'm very passionate about and once I get talking with someone about it, I need duck tape across the mouth to shut me up...

You can probably see now why my idea of futuristic technology was dream related :pfff:

Honestly though, imagine that you want to know what it would feel like to fly out to the edge of the solar system, witness the birth of a star (beginning of life) and get sucked into a black hole (end of life). Or you want to experience what it would be like to be a student at Hogwarts casting magic spells...

Once you get proficient enough at dreaming you've got a totally immersive sensory experience where you can explore those fantasy adventures and although complete fantasy, they feel hyper-real. Those are just one tiny fraction of the possibilities.

One area of research I'm involved in at the moment involves using dreams to help people give up smoking or lose weight. In the future, potentially, you'll go to sleep and when you wake up you'll find cigarettes or junk food unappealing. There's an argument to be made that you can use similar techniques to cultivate attraction or love as well - if you've ever seen Futurama, think of dream adverts, these are theoretically possible (in the lab at least), you could suddenly wake up with a craving for Nike shoes without necessarily knowing why...

Anyway, sorry, I'm rambling

Celerity

Celerity

Jan 24, 2021
A little of both in a way. I don't work for a university, but I'm published and a lot of my research is funded, I also ran a successful clinical practice doing work mostly with nightmares although I'm on hiatus from that at the moment.

It's also a hobby though, I keep a dream journal, lucid dream once or twice a week and engineer dreams over the weekend (you don't want to artificially plan your dreams too often as natural dreams are an important part of emotional regulation and insights into your subconscious).

Apologies for the spam, it's something I'm very passionate about and once I get talking with someone about it, I need duck tape across the mouth to shut me up...

You can probably see now why my idea of futuristic technology was dream related :pfff:

Honestly though, imagine that you want to know what it would feel like to fly out to the edge of the solar system, witness the birth of a star (beginning of life) and get sucked into a black hole (end of life). Or you want to experience what it would be like to be a student at Hogwarts casting magic spells...

Once you get proficient enough at dreaming you've got a totally immersive sensory experience where you can explore those fantasy adventures and although complete fantasy, they feel hyper-real. Those are just one tiny fraction of the possibilities.

One area of research I'm involved in at the moment involves using dreams to help people give up smoking or lose weight. In the future, potentially, you'll go to sleep and when you wake up you'll find cigarettes or junk food unappealing. There's an argument to be made that you can use similar techniques to cultivate attraction or love as well - if you've ever seen Futurama, think of dream adverts, these are theoretically possible (in the lab at least), you could suddenly wake up with a craving for Nike shoes without necessarily knowing why...

Anyway, sorry, I'm rambling
Yo, can you teach people here how to plan your dreams? That sounds amazing! I remember I asked myself to work out a dilemma I was facing, and I dreamed a dream that provided me the answer. It wasn't the answer I wanted, but it ended up being right on the money.

Broken Buzz

Broken Buzz

Space Ranger
Apr 30, 2021
Yo, can you teach people here how to plan your dreams? That sounds amazing! I remember I asked myself to work out a dilemma I was facing, and I dreamed a dream that provided me the answer. It wasn't the answer I wanted, but it ended up being right on the money.
It's funny you asked because one of the projects I'm working on at the moment is developing a series of workshops to teach people exactly this skill. It's something anyone can learn and it's based on scientific principles, no cultish voodoo new age mysticism, but in my experience, if you have a good imagination and have a more creative personality, you'll see much better results.

That's another benefit of dreams, what better than to put your lower consciousness to work solving a problem as you sleep.

A lot of advanced meditators work to cultivate a state of minimal consciousness during sleep, so they're asleep but remain conscious. I do the same (using a different method to the traditional teachings). It's a blessing to be able to be conscious but have no thoughts or imagery at all, just to be.

Celerity

Celerity

Jan 24, 2021
It's funny you asked because one of the projects I'm working on at the moment is developing a series of workshops to teach people exactly this skill. It's something anyone can learn and it's based on scientific principles, no cultish voodoo new age mysticism, but in my experience, if you have a good imagination and have a more creative personality, you'll see much better results.

That's another benefit of dreams, what better than to put your lower consciousness to work solving a problem as you sleep.

A lot of advanced meditators work to cultivate a state of minimal consciousness during sleep, so they're asleep but remain conscious. I do the same (using a different method to the traditional teachings). It's a blessing to be able to be conscious but have no thoughts or imagery at all, just to be.
That's so cool! I hope you are able to make advancements with this!

J

Journeytoletgo

Broken and hated 7-14 years long overdue
May 14, 2018
I wish there was a tech to take me back In time to age 13, go see a jaw surgeon to fix my recessed chin and jaw and overbite.

I also wish there was tech to completely cure my incurable acne at the time so I could live a sociable life and be carefree as I felt when I was a kid. I wonder how different my life would have been then and how I'd turn out and avoid all those guys that I wish I stayed away from as well that also caused me to be miserable out of my own poor mistakes as well

Celerity

Celerity

Jan 24, 2021
I wish there was a tech to take me back In time to age 13, go see a jaw surgeon to fix my recessed chin and jaw and overbite.

I also wish there was tech to completely cure my incurable acne at the time so I could live a sociable life and be carefree as I felt when I was a kid. I wonder how different my life would have been then and how I'd turn out and avoid all those guys that I wish I stayed away from as well that also caused me to be miserable out of my own poor mistakes as well
How about now? Have any of these physical ailments resolved?

J

Journeytoletgo

Broken and hated 7-14 years long overdue
May 14, 2018
How about now? Have any of these physical ailments resolved?

nope none of them have been resolved. I can only hope I have a strong will and desire to pursue the surgery to fix my jaw and chin, and also another surgery I want however I'm not sure I'll have the mental strength to pursue it. I'll have to see it depends if I feel up to it

Celerity

Celerity

Jan 24, 2021
nope none of them have been resolved. I can only hope I have a strong will and desire to pursue the surgery to fix my jaw and chin, and also another surgery I want however I'm not sure I'll have the mental strength to pursue it. I'll have to see it depends if I feel up to it
I'm really sorry. Do these issues with your jaw cause physical pain or limit your ability to speak or chew properly? You don't have to talk about it if you don't want to.

Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
Sex robots, though probably with certain additions to get around the flaws they have in media.

Actual virtual reality, in which a mind is uploaded into some sort of cloud that causes it to experience whatever the person's exclusive paradise is.

Euthanza

Euthanza

Self Righteous Suicide
Jun 9, 2022
Suicide booth isn't crazy at all, though I admit it's funny:

"You just selected slow and horrible!"
"You are now dead. Thank you for using Stop & Drop - America's favorite suicide booth since 2008"

While not exactly a booth, I imagine peaceful and quiet glamping port made of 360° glass in a state-of-the-art arctic scenery with serenade. It should be luxury of the future.

Attachments

• 41457463_327386117831482_5806291477722038272_n.mp4
    2.9 MB
  • Yay!
Reactions: rationaltake and veryhappyhuman
Dead Ghost

Dead Ghost

Mestre del Temps
May 6, 2022
I only want three things (and one excludes the others):
- A smarter robot than me to share my life with.
- An autonomous car to go to the mountains or near the coast. I do not have a driver's license or the ability to do so.
- A holographic stay in my house in case there is none of the above, to be able to feel living like the others without moving house.
//
Jo només vull tres coses (i una exclou les altres):
- Un robot més intel·ligent que jo per compartir la meva vida amb ell.
- Un cotxe autònom per anar a la muntanya o vora la costa. Jo no tinc permís de conduïr ni capacitat per fer-ho.
- Una estança hologràfica a casa meva en cas de no existir res de l'anterior, per poder sentir viure com els altres sense moure'm de casa.

Reactions: rationaltake
onlyanimalsaregood

onlyanimalsaregood

Unlovable 💔 Rest in peace CommitSudoku 🤍
Mar 11, 2022
A time machine for sure.

Reactions: rationaltake
hungry_ghost

hungry_ghost

جهاد
Feb 21, 2022
Tech to keep us youthful.

Tech to insta-heal wounds and broken bones.

Reactions: lofticries
symphony

symphony

surving hour-by-hour
Mar 12, 2022
I'd like a way for artificial intelligence to be truly conscious, and for us to be able to upload ourselves to a virtual reality simulation. Once in, we could avail ourselves of illness and disabilities, erase certain memories or enhance ones we liked. Loved ones human and animal, would be waiting for us, themselves conscious and eternally healthy, and we'd be unconstrained by physics - personally, I'd make myself a wizard. The entire experience would be much like a vivid lucid dream, except our voluntary volition would be much higher.

Maybe I'm just describing a romanticised version of the matrix... :shy:
Reading this gave me an idea to respond with. Something I'd genuinely like but it's probably pretty sad. A truly conscious AI, just like suggested above, but for the purpose of being a friend. Someone I can chat with about anything at any time but doesn't feel like they're a robot reading a script and programmed just to agree with me and parrot back everything I say.

• Hugs
Reactions: rationaltake and Dead Ghost
settheory

settheory

Bundle of perceptions
Jul 29, 2021
Wheel
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/74/44/47/744447205a07fcc4a85d2fa0465df240.png

O

obafgkm

Experienced
Jun 3, 2022
same, to fix to prevent what ruined my life

I just want a simple time travel technology
Time machine can probably only change one event because after that life will begin to deviate from the original. It will be new also to the future self. Both old and future selves will make new mistakes. Then a future future self wants to go back fix things....