• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

hell in a cage

hell in a cage

Disappointed in most
Jan 23, 2023
I'm curious about what you think about veganism. Perhaps the people of this forum, who are clearly well-acquainted with suffering, and unpopular opinions for that matter, would more readily extend empathy to those of other species experiencing never-ending nightmarish torture in factory farms and elsewhere? Or maybe the hopeless and meaningless state of affairs prevents you from caring and/or making changes in your life?

hell in a cage

hell in a cage

Disappointed in most
Jan 23, 2023
I care about all life and all suffering; people and animals. No one should have to suffer!
I personally value sentient life. To me this position, even if ultimately subjective, is by far the most justifiable. It seems only logical to include all things that have a subjective experience, i.e have a capacity for suffering and well-being, in moral calculations regarding suffering and well-being. Drawing the line at "only human suffering" or anywhere else just seems like a post hoc rationalization.

Source Energy

Source Energy

I want to be where people areN'T...
Jan 23, 2023
I am an efilist - someone who feels empathy for the suffering of all forms of life and thinks all life should cease to exist.
But I am not vegan. I do not believe that if I personally stop eating meat, the animals would have it any better. My body is used to meat and craves it. Buying it is so easy. If there was no meat in the grocery stores and restaurants, I know I would not slaughter a chicken or a lamb myself. I would be forced to become vegan. But like this, I am weak.

Off topic, has anyone read Tender is the Flesh by Augustina Bazterrica?

epic

epic

Enlightened
Aug 9, 2019
I have started to come around to veganism but my tongue is like "mf give me the good stuff" .

Reactions: Costrecce
hell in a cage

hell in a cage

Disappointed in most
Jan 23, 2023
I have started to come around to veganism but my tongue is like "mf give me the good stuff" .
That's good to hear, and I found in my experience liking/disliking taste of things is quite dependent on what I eat on a regular basis. Even though when I ate animals products I loved the taste, after a fairly short while of abstaining I never had any desire for their taste anymore. And some new plant-based foods that I never tried seemed iffy at first, but then I acquired a taste for it and all of a sudden it's my favourite go-to. I hope you will find your experience similar, after all, vegan food is quite diverse, contrary to popular opinion
I am an efilist - someone who feels empathy for the suffering of all forms of life and thinks all life should cease to exist.
But I am not vegan. I do not believe that if I personally stop eating meat, the animals would have it any better. My body is used to meat and craves it. Buying it is so easy. If there was no meat in the grocery stores and restaurants, I know I would not slaughter a chicken or a lamb myself. I would be forced to become vegan. But like this, I am weak.

Off topic, has anyone read Tender is the Flesh by Augustina Bazterrica?
I understand how your, as a singular consumer, impact can be difficult to imagine, however supply and demand is directly affected by consumer choices, and any single person could be the one to trigger the threshold for more animals tortured and killed. Breaking habits sure is difficult (sometimes impossible, probably), but cravings, in my and many others, experience go away fairly quickly after changing what you eat on a daily basis. The start may be rough, but it doesn't stay rough. I hope you consider it if you can!
P.S I haven't read it, but from the synopsis it seems like it could be thought provoking

Last edited:
S

SorrowMind

Nov 9, 2022
yes, knowing suffering for so long until it gets to unbearable levels made me switch to veganism multiple times, I'm still not consistent or a strict vegan I'm not able to control my diet due to illnesses but I am trying to get there or at least spread some awareness to people I know

Q

qiuyu

Feb 2, 2023
I think their ideas make sense but I'm not sure if it'll actually protect the planet. Cus it sounds like more market for fancy vegan products. Is the production environmentally friendly? We can't know for sure but I think it is with good intentions.

F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I REALLY admire them. I've only gone so far as becoming a vegetarian. I hate the fact that so many animals have already suffered and continue to do so for me. ☹️

TCotton

TCotton

Feb 1, 2023
I hate cruelty to animals and I'm a vegetarian but not a vegan. I would take a lot of discipline to be a vegan and eat well. I did go for a period trying vegan food from the supermarket but a lot is highly-processed - I'm really not together enough to cook from scratch every day

Kurushii

Kurushii

Student
Jan 14, 2023
I have respect for those who are vegan as I believe they are doing a good thing for the world and the animals. I can't be vegan myself though as I love meat and sometimes crave it. I do try to limit how much meat I have overall. And I hope the meat industry at the very least treats the animals they slaughter kinder in the future. What they do now is just plain cruel.

Reactions: return.
valkyrie

valkyrie

Feb 11, 2023
I think it's fine and respectable as a choice but we shouldn't push the world to be vegan. It's the way the world has always been. But more vegan options is a good thing even if people only have them every monday or a few times a week.

I'm vegetarian, and the amount of vegans who froth at the mouth at my lack of full veganism makes me sad. I think "babystepping" is better than nothing, and sometimes I think they forget humans are animals who deserve compassion too. A lot of people have eating disorders and it's not as easy as just being vegan.

ScottPilgram

ScottPilgram

slime guy, xe/xem it/its
Feb 2, 2019
I'm vegan, but I do eat the food we'd otherwise throw away at work. I am very poor, I'm a delivery driver and I live off tips. I'm someone who trys to think very carefully about my actions. I'd say I'm a little freegan but I do not take food made for me thats nonvegan by strangers. This only encourages them to make more. I don't want to encourage people to fund the violent industry I hate. Veganism can be incredibly cheap if you have the energy to cook. I shoplift a lot, I shoplift vegan food a lot (again, I'm dirt poor). I would really rather not eat dairy and stuff. Makes me feel guilty. But I also understand my body is a machine and if I can't afford food I must do what I can. Most I eat is the pizzas we'd throw out. My fave item I lift is Myokano's oatmilk cultured vegan butter. Yum. And I like uuuuh follow your heart vegan cheese. I went vegan cause my friend did and I thought he was cool af lol. And then I dropped acid and thought about it more yaknow. It just makes sense. One thing I learned is that veganism is about minimizing your damage. Not completley eliminating it. Completley eliminating it is entirley impossible. All we can do is our best.
I have respect for those who are vegan as I believe they are doing a good thing for the world and the animals. I can't be vegan myself though as I love meat and sometimes crave it. I do try to limit how much meat I have overall. And I hope the meat industry at the very least treats the animals they slaughter kinder in the future. What they do now is just plain cruel.
dairy farms allowing an animal to live a fraction of their life and then murdering them is somehow seen humane by most and it shocks me. It's like if someone let me live a beautiful life in a nice sanctuary and I knit scarves every day for ppl to sell. Eventually, my hands do not work the way they used to, oh well, at least I have my pretty sanctuary. and then i turn 20 and they are like "Alright, times up! we gave you a real good life" and they shoot me point blank even tho i still have a good 50 years left just because I'm not profitable anymore.
Did you know cows only make milk when they are pregnant
Did you know momma cows and calfs are separated after birth because the farmer doesnt want the baby drinking the profit and its devastating to the mama who desperately calls after her baby?

Last edited:
releasespieces

releasespieces

Poles are shifting, death is looming
Jun 26, 2022
I've been vegan for 10 years officially this month. I'll never leave the lifestyle, everything else is just rather absurd to me now. The odd thing that has changed in me over the years though… I initially took a stance against domestication that then lead to my aversion to animals altogether. I really despise anyone who domesticates animals now, but to take it a step further, I hate animals. I think they are gross and spread disease. I started out being vegan for the love of animals, but now I don't want anything to do with them, I certainly don't want to eat them… disgusting.

Reactions: breakingpoint
breakingpoint

breakingpoint

Humanoid
Feb 17, 2023
I think it's great and I think everyone should be vegan, I'm too depressed to make the effort but also too poor to afford to be vegan but I also love plants just the same so the thought of deforestation for farming makes me sad, I love trees so much lol.

Reactions: Daxter_87
releasespieces

releasespieces

Jun 26, 2022
I think it's great and I think everyone should be vegan, I'm too depressed to make the effort but also too poor to afford to be vegan but I also love plants just the same so the thought of deforestation for farming makes me sad, I love trees so much lol.
Vegan diets and lifestyles can actually save you money. Veganism isnt necessarily expensive, its a lifestyle choice as to how you spend your money on food. Meat, dairy and eggs aren't necessarily cheap either.

Reactions: Daxter_87
breakingpoint

breakingpoint

Humanoid
Feb 17, 2023
Vegan diets and lifestyles can actually save you money. Veganism isnt necessarily expensive, it's a lifestyle choice as to how you spend your money on food. Meat, dairy and eggs aren't necessarily cheap either.
If you've found away to be vegan and it be cheap I'd love to learn about it! I'm fully vegan in the sense of products I use like hygienic product, household products are all vegan but I do find that (where I'm living) the vegan versions like bleach, dish soap, vegan cheese is so expensive in my local compared to non vegan cheese and I just put that down to shady companies trying to profit off veganism being a trend and pushing that image.

releasespieces

releasespieces

Jun 26, 2022
If you've found away to be vegan and it be cheap I'd love to learn about it! I'm fully vegan in the sense of products I use like hygienic product, household products are all vegan but I do find that (where I'm living) the vegan versions like bleach, dish soap, vegan cheese is so expensive in my local compared to non vegan cheese and I just put that down to shady companies trying to profit off veganism being a trend and pushing that image.
I don't think most companies are trying to profit off veganism being trendy. I think it's about 5% of the population in the US are vegan. It isn't as popular as some may think. It depends on someone's perspective, if you live in California then veganism is popular, if you live in rural Iowa… not so much. The prices are higher simply because of the lack of demand, prices would come down if everyone was vegan. A lot of the processed products are organic too because most vegans tend to be health conscious. Organic requires certification which costs money, there is little room to pass savings to consumers.

There are videos galore all over youtube instructing vegans on how to save money. The real key is to avoid processed foods, they're unhealthy anyway.

Reactions: breakingpoint
breakingpoint

breakingpoint

Humanoid
Feb 17, 2023
I don't think most companies are trying to profit off veganism being trendy. I think it's about 5% of the population in the US are vegan. It isn't as popular as some may think. It depends on someone's perspective, if you live in California then veganism is popular, if you live in rural Iowa… not so much. The prices are higher simply because of the lack of demand, prices would come down if everyone was vegan. A lot of the processed products are organic too because most vegans tend to be health conscious. Organic requires certification which costs money, there is little room to pass savings to consumers.

There are videos galore all over youtube instructing vegans on how to save money. The real key is to avoid processed foods, they're unhealthy anyway.
Interesting, I can't comment on veganism in the us, compared to where I'm from the us is gigantic and I think then it just falls to my other issue with veganism which is just a personal issue. The effort my brain thinks it takes, seeing how much my best friend struggles to find a vegan version of a food product, then when one is made it's expensive, she was trying to teach me about e numbers and how it's mostly made out of insects and it all just blows my mind.

MelancholyMagic

MelancholyMagic

For my next trick, I will disappear
Dec 12, 2021
Would you push the red button? And do you watch Gary?
But I am not vegan. I do not believe that if I personally stop eating meat, the animals would have it any better.
Contrary to popular belief, being vegan is not hard. I've been vegan for several years; it was an easy transition and is easy to maintain. Those who eat meat and other animal products signal to others that they think it is OK to support the torture and death of animals.
but I also love plants just the same so the thought of deforestation for farming makes me sad, I love trees so much lol.
Most (nearly all?) deforestation for farming is for growing animal feed and for creating animal grazing areas. It's not caused by the vegans.

Reactions: Unending
Source Energy

Source Energy

Jan 23, 2023
Would you push the red button? And do you watch Gary?

Contrary to popular belief, being vegan is not hard. I've been vegan for several years; it was an easy transition and is easy to maintain. Those who eat meat and other animal products signal to others that they think it is OK to support the torture and death of animals.
Yes I would push the red button.

Who/ what is Gary?

Well, I don't think it is ok to torture animals, I just don't think that my personal "sacrifice" would change anything, and I'm not willing to give up one of the few pleasures I have - food, meat included - in vain.

The matter is subject to much debate, but this is how I feel about it.

Has anyone read Tender is the Flesh? It is a horror/dystopian novel about animals being toxic to humans due to a virus, and cannibalism becoming legal. Very disturbing, and thought provoking. I still need my proteins -sorry.

Source Energy

Source Energy

Jan 23, 2023
Ok. Just checking. I've heard some self-described "efilists" say they would not push the red button (even though it is a necessary condition of being an efilist!) So now I always ask.

Gary aka Inmendham. Have you watched or listened to him?
I heard and read about him. Anti-natalist/ efilist, right? I used to frequent efilism/reddit. Oh I would definitely push the red button. I'm not one who sits around bemoaning existence every second, but if given that button, I'm pushing it. No second thoughts

U

Unending

-
Nov 5, 2022
dairy farms allowing an animal to live a fraction of their life and then murdering them is somehow seen humane by most and it shocks me. It's like if someone let me live a beautiful life in a nice sanctuary and I knit scarves every day for ppl to sell. Eventually, my hands do not work the way they used to, oh well, at least I have my pretty sanctuary. and then i turn 20 and they are like "Alright, times up! we gave you a real good life" and they shoot me point blank even tho i still have a good 50 years left just because I'm not profitable anymore.
Did you know momma cows and calfs are separated after birth because the farmer doesnt want the baby drinking the profit and its devastating to the mama who desperately calls after her baby?
I feel like even that description makes it sound too pretty lol.

freedompass

freedompass

Warlock
Jan 27, 2021
I've been either strict vegetarian or vegan my whole adult life (40 plus years). I'm delighted with how much more mainstream veganism has become in recent years. I get a kick out of discovering new plant based products. It's nice to feel less of a weird outlier when ordering from restaurants etc. Apart from being strictly plant based I'm not an activist and don't evangelise though I have admiration for some who do…I was an activist in my early 20's but then figured politics of any kind is a waste of time. This may not be true but was how I personally evolved…people only change when they see a need. So we have to change from within…I moved toward spirituality and philosophy. Nowadays I'm too jaundiced, disengaged, cynical and simply lack the energy for community involvement. I don't believe in anything anymore but I could never return to eating meat. I never feel I am missing out on anything…far from it I love to cook and create vegan versions of popular dishes.

• Hugs
Reactions: BBBB and Skathon
wr3ck3d

wr3ck3d

My color says "Wanderer" so let's go with that
Feb 12, 2023
I lived on the countryside with my grandparents when I was young and I can assure you the cow gave milk twice a day without being pregnant.

Also your analogy with humans is rather dark, mostly because it is kinda happening. If no one think you're useful you won't get hired and then forced to lose whatever you have in life

ScottPilgram

ScottPilgram

slime guy, xe/xem it/its
Feb 2, 2019
I lived on the countryside with my grandparents when I was young and I can assure you the cow gave milk twice a day without being pregnant.

Also your analogy with humans is rather dark, mostly because it is kinda happening. If no one think you're useful you won't get hired and then forced to lose whatever you have in life
what i mean is they need to get pregnant to produce milk, and then the milk that exists afterword is for the baby..

Forever_Hopeless

Forever_Hopeless

craving for death
Mar 1, 2023
I'm vegan for about one and half a year now. Before, I was vegetarian, but ate barely non-vegan food. I decided to change to vegan food because of the harm caused to animals by the consumption of food produced by animals.

borderline-feline

borderline-feline

Constantly Sleepy Catgirl
Dec 28, 2022
I'm a vegetarian because I have too much empathy for my own good. I've been veggie since I was 11, and I'm 25 now. I think that certain types of meat-based foods are inherently immoral, like boiled lobster, shark fin soup, and veal. I do believe that it's wrong to push someone to not eat meat at all, but certain things should be made illegal.

There are also countries where the meat production is horrendously immoral, as can be their choice of animals to murder and eat. China immediately comes to mind, because anyone who eats a dog deserves a slow and painful death. I also loathe how things like that are brushed aside by certain types of people as "cultural differences". Being an inhuman monster isn't an inherent part of any culture, but it is inherent to certain practices in meat industries.