• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Lawliet

Lawliet

b a n g
Sep 15, 2020
the title pretty much says it all, it can of course be multiple horror films. my faves are train to busan, as above so below, hereditary, lake mungo, hellraiser, and nope. the scariest one i've seen is a korean film called gonjiam: haunted asylum, which gave me nightmares for days and that never happens. i highly recommend it but be mindful of triggers for asylums if you're sensitive to that.

what about you?

Last edited:
Lullaby

Lullaby

🌙
Mar 9, 2022
Rec is amazing, the first one is probably one of the scariest movies I've ever seen and I don't get spooked easily.

It's a Spanish flick and the original audio is surprisingly hard to find, but the first three movies just been put up on Tubi for free. If anyone's into horror, I would seriously recommend watching at least the first two.

A few of my other favorites:

- Martyrs (French extremity, so it's really graphic gore wise)
- Hell House llc
- 28 Days Later
- The Taking of Deborah Logan
- Midsommar
- High Tension
- Drag Me to Hell
- VHS

I could keep going! I'm a really big horror buff, and I feel like I've seen most of the genre at this point. I'll be going through so many since October is coming up.

makethepainstop

makethepainstop

Visionary
Sep 16, 2022
the title pretty much says it all, it can of course be multiple horror films. my faves are train to busan, as above so below, hereditary, lake mungo, hellraiser, and nope. the scariest one i've seen is a korean film called gonjiam: haunted asylum, which gave me nightmares for days and that never happens. i highly recommend it but be mindful of triggers for asylums if you're sensitive to that.

what about you?
Any movie where the monster kills say a vicious and protective family dog, and then gets shot with a large caliber weapon and keeps coming and not dying!

J

Julgran

Enlightened
Dec 15, 2021

what about you?

"Superstition" from 1982. It gave 5-year-old me some real mental scras. It's probably not as scary for adults, though.

"The Grudge" from 2004. It's just super scary.

Rec is amazing, the first one is probably one of the scariest movies I've ever seen and I don't get spooked easily.

Oh, yeah! "Rec" is great!

Last edited:
leeloosnow

leeloosnow

Warlock
Aug 28, 2022
just watched the new jeffrey dahmer series on netflix, was pretty good. @Lullaby i liked vhs and several other anthology horror/sci-fi type movies n shows as well. 'ghost stories' w/martin freeman is a good one

Reactions: Lullaby
lonelygirl111

lonelygirl111

i don’t know what i’m doing anymore
Sep 20, 2022
i like hereditary too it freaked me out

Reactions: littlelungs
Lullaby

Lullaby

🌙
Mar 9, 2022
all of these i've watched and they're amazing!! rec is fantastic found footage. i might have to check out the second one.
Definitely watch the second!! It picks up immediately after the first one ends and it's just as good. Some people think it's better but they're pretty equal. It also give you more backstory on what the hell is going on.

AloeGarten

AloeGarten

Cursed
May 14, 2021
i like hereditary too it freaked me out
i like hereditary too , I was just gonna say its my fav horror movie ever, its truly different from other horrors, it doesnt reply on cheap jumpscares, it has a lot of hidden details, a deep plot/themes and left me feeling seriously disturbed. great actors and a one of a kind director

Last edited:
Un-

Un-

I'm a failure. An absolute waste. A LOSEr.
Apr 6, 2021
I watch a ton of horror, and I've actually seen every film mentioned in this thread. But I'd be lying if I said any of them were my favourite.. I don't have a favourite. I like horror, but it's.. Y'know.. Flawed. I'll just mention the fliks that have had a long impression on me, though:

Salo, or 120 days of sodom.

Caveat

The dark and the wicked

• Love
Reactions: avoid_slow_death
Lawliet

Lawliet

b a n g
Sep 15, 2020
i like hereditary too , I was just gonna say its my fav horror movie ever, its truly different from other horrors, it doesnt reply on cheap jumpscares, it has a lot of hidden details, a deep plot/themes and left me feeling seriously disturbed. great actors and a one of a kind director
absolutely agree with this, and its portrayal of grief was fantastic

Reactions: littlelungs
Chaos_Contingency

Chaos_Contingency

Aug 9, 2022
I enjoy Jaws, The Thing, IT, and the original Godzilla. I'm a sucker for monster movies.

Reactions: Lostandlooking
narval

narval

Enlightened
Jan 22, 2020
-Alien (the first of the saga)
-Aliens (the second one)
-VHS
-REC --> the best 'zombie/infected' movie i saw ever
-28 days later

There's more good out there, but this ones came to my mind RN

Reactions: Élégie
ManicPanic2018

ManicPanic2018

Night of the final day
Sep 11, 2022
A lot of my choices have already been mentioned, but John Carpenter's The Thing has to be one of my all time faves, not just in the horror genre. I watch it every year around the time the season turns to winter as a weird little tradition.

J

JustSwingingTheD

Experienced
Jan 31, 2022
I've watched tons and tons of horror, but for me, one movie rises above everything else: The Thing. It's the favourite of many horror fans, but I think I personally love it so because it's the best movie about paranoia that i've seen. There is something about the theme that just moves me more than anything else that can be found in horror.

Coincidentally, this is my favourite "horror song/poem", and it's also basically about paranoia.

It very well could be that i have been too trusting in my past life and suffered from that, that's why i'm so fixated on paranoia and getting all these kicks from the theme.

littlelungs

littlelungs

Wizard
Oct 21, 2018
The Ring always has me looking over my shoulder after I watch it. Between that depressing, green-blue tint throughout the movie, that eerie as fuck sound that plays periodically throughout The Cursed Tape (not the high pitched one, but the other quieter one... the hairs on the back of my neck stand up just thinking about it), the creepy little girl... it just gets to me. I also still get the heebie jeebies when I see a well, lol. The original Japanese Ringu is great but it doesn't scare me like the American version does.

The Shining is another one that leaves me feeling really... not even scared, per say, but just really disturbed. The scene where Jack Nicholson is telling his son that he loves him with that eerie music playing is particularly unsettling for me – it was such a well-done scene, in my opinion. The whole movie is so unsettling, but it's still one of my favourites.

Movies with blood and guts and stuff don't scare me; they just gross me out. It's largely the psychological element and the overall atmosphere of both The Ring and The Shining, along with the suspense of the latter, that just particularly get to me. It's rare that a movie can get into my head like that, but both of those manage to not only do that, but they do it really well.

Last edited:
Angst Filled Fuck Up

Angst Filled Fuck Up

Visionary
Sep 9, 2018
The Shining
As Above So Below
The Conjuring series
Saw series
The Machinist is a good one too

I'm sure there's a million more. I really like the early 2000s horror movie esthetic.

Any movie that features this cell phone is probably good (I owned it too):

GwiNHkoFX34PeprIlarge

A

akana

Student
Mar 21, 2022
Host (on Amazon Prime)
I love found footage films lol

Lawliet

Lawliet

b a n g
Sep 15, 2020
The Ring always has me looking over my shoulder after I watch it. Between that depressing, green-blue tint throughout the movie, that eerie as fuck sound that plays periodically throughout The Cursed Tape (not the high pitched one, but the other quieter one... the hairs on the back of my neck stand up just thinking about it), the creepy little girl... it just gets to me. I also still get the heebie jeebies when I see a well, lol. The original Japanese Ringu is great but it doesn't scare me like the American version does.

oh lord i have a story about that movie, but first i want to say that it is absolutely terrifying. i watched the movie when i was pretty young, about 13, at a friends house. it was the first horror movie that i saw, and my friend was determined to get the absolute ultimate scares out of me. she had longer hair and when we were having a sleepover after the movie, she hid in the closet and draped her hair over her face like in the movie. then she made a lot of creepy noises and i open the closet door pretty stupidly, and got the shit scared out of me. later that night she had her brother call the house, my friend pretended that it was my mom calling to check up on me, so i picked up the phone and i heard a very quiet voice saying "seven days." 😂😂 i've seen the movie since and it's still terrifying, so eerie. i feel bad for samara.

O

outatime_85

Warlock
May 17, 2022
Here is a small sample of horror films I enjoyed.

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre, 1974

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2, 1986

The Phantasm film series

The Evil Dead (1981)

Poltergeist (1982)

The Gate (1987)

976-EVIL 1988

976-EVIL 2 1992

Friday the 13th film series

ever so lonely

ever so lonely

terry joseph williams
Apr 17, 2022
i second the shining, kubricks vision may have gone against what king wanted, but what a film we got, still holds up to this day, the twins scenes still give me the shits, *come play with us danny* like no, fuck no, i am dipping out lol, halloween the og was a phenomenal movie aswell, after that it was downhill for the franchise imho, plus the thing john carpenters version, although panned by critics now has a niche following, and has gained cult like status as more time has gone on people appreciate it as a movie more, i have always loved that movie too, but maybe it isnt quite under the bracket of horror, more sci if suspense thriller perhaps ?, oh and exorcist, that movie is truly messed up, that demon with the penis man, they reckon when that released it literal made people go crazy in theatres, tho how true that is i no so sure, it was way before my time, but these movies are still classics of the genre

• Love
littlelungs

littlelungs

Wizard
Oct 21, 2018
absolutely agree with this, and its portrayal of grief was fantastic
I actually just watched Hereditary for the first time the other day, and that one particular, initial expression of grief (trying not to give anything away for people who haven't seen it and want to) made my heart feel like it was being stepped on, it was so realistic. I cringed in pain for the whole scene and when she said "it hurts too much" I just lost it, and I never cry from movies. (I've cried like that character before, once due to grief and a few times during particularly severe BPD and PTSD episodes, and I've also even said those exact words while doing so; it just really hit home for me, both because I felt like I was grieving alongside the character, and because of my very similar experiences regarding such a severe and intense emotional state.)

Hereditary is the best movie that I'll never watch again, specifically because of that scene. 😅 It was so well-done.

Last edited:
Temporal_Anchorite

Temporal_Anchorite

wanting outta this bitch
Sep 23, 2022
Some of my favorite horror movies are also the scariest I've ever seen, so I'll just kinda compile them into one list in no particular order:

• Hereditary
  • Shutter (2004)
  • Gonjiam: Haunted Asylum
  • Ju-on: The Grudge
  • Ju-on: The Grudge 2
  • Pulse (2001)
  • Inland Empire
  • Insidious chapters 1, 2, and 3 (the 4th one was dogshit lol)
  • Lake Mungo
  • Sinister
  • The Blackcoat's Daughter
  • It Follows
  • The Conjuring
  • The Shining
  • Dead Silence

J

jandek

Down in a Mirror
Feb 19, 2022
I don't watch many horror movies, but I really liked The Witch (2015). It reminded me of a Nathaniel Hawthorne story.

• Love
avoid_slow_death

avoid_slow_death

Ready to embrace the peaceful bliss of the void.
Feb 4, 2020
Believe it or not, I have also seen just about everything posted thus far except the Korean film OP mentioned.

Obviously a huge horror buff and a lot of my faves are old school:

Psycho (1960) Favorite horror movie ever alongside....
Santa Sangre - I like to call this movie an Arthouse Psycho. If you haven't seen it, do so. Immediately. There truly is nothing like it.

Some other faves:
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
The Wizard of Gore (1970) Good family fun!
Night of the Living Dead (1969)
Nosferatu (1922) Scary af to this very day still!
A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) Again, scary af to this very day still!
Train to Busan
Dawn of the Dead (1978) Greatest zombie film EVER!
Midsommer - This movie is a mind fuck. Absolute must see.

And here are some maybe lesser known films for ya all:

Torso
The Deadly Spawn
Soft For Digging
Sharkenstein
Jug Face
Brain Damage

I could go on forever, but that's a good start!

Oh, and quick trigger warning on Salo or the 120 Days of Sodom, it contains some vile and graphic sexual acts on young people, so, if that kinda stuff gets to you too much,I strongly suggest avoiding. On a side note, the book is even worse than the film. Especially the ending. Most horrific thing I ever put in my brain. Avoid. Seriously.

Temporal_Anchorite

Temporal_Anchorite

wanting outta this bitch
Sep 23, 2022
Believe it or not, I have also seen just about everything posted thus far except the Korean film OP mentioned.

Obviously a huge horror buff and a lot of my faves are old school:

Psycho (1960) Favorite horror movie ever alongside....
Santa Sangre - I like to call this movie an Arthouse Psycho. If you haven't seen it, do so. Immediately. There truly is nothing like it.

Santa Sangre sounds right up my alley, I will definitely be checking that one out. Thank you for sharing your recommendations.

Some other faves:
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
The Wizard of Gore (1970) Good family fun!
Night of the Living Dead (1969)
Nosferatu (1922) Scary af to this very day still!
A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) Again, scary af to this very day still!
Train to Busan
Dawn of the Dead (1978) Greatest zombie film EVER!
Midsommer - This movie is a mind fuck. Absolute must see.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre might be my favorite classic horror film alongside The Evil Dead and The Shining; it still holds up surprisingly well to this day.
And (possibly?) unpopular opinion, I think Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors is the best film of the franchise.
I actually just watched Hereditary for the first time the other day, and that one particular, initial expression of grief (trying not to give anything away for people who haven't seen it and want to) made my heart feel like it was being stepped on, it was so realistic. I cringed in pain for the whole scene and when she said "it hurts too much" I just lost it, and I never cry from movies. (I've cried like that character before, once due to grief and a few times during particularly severe BPD and PTSD episodes, and I've also even said those exact words while doing so; it just really hit home for me, both because I felt like I was grieving alongside the character, and because of my very similar experiences regarding such a severe and intense emotional state.)

Yes, what an absolutely gut-wrenching scene. Have you seen Ari Aster's other film Midsommar? I won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it yet, but I'll just say the first 20 minutes are similarly devastating, if not more so.

Last edited: