Worndown

Worndown

Visionary
Mar 21, 2019
The current trend is having less control over yourself, not more.

U

UtopianElephant

Student
Nov 26, 2022
The age of the person seems to not be very relevant, as it is something that is a basic human right (that people can waive).

So, if a 10 year old child expresses persistent wishes to die, everything possible should be done to make them feel better and improve their life. If that does not work, they should be allowed/ assisted with ctb.

But, especially if we are talking about children, everything should be documented, so that no one is later accused of missteps or wrongdoing.

Reactions: Peerless_Cucumber, Painfu.Ll.suffering, Wehmut and 1 other person
TydalWave

TydalWave

Brutally Self-Aware
Sep 20, 2022
If we are talking safe exits, then 25 seems appropriate... The issue with 18 is that many of us were raised in broken homes and were not provided means for mental health care growing up. I've known too many people who struggled at 18 who haven't tried medications, therapy, etc, and I think that everyone deserves the right to treat mental health prior to making this decision.

That being said, I think the act itself should be decriminalized, as it is our body from birth. Suffering shouldn't require additional punishment imo. I don't think anyone should be forced to medicate, forced into facilities, or forced to exist. If we could provide affordable/free health care to those under 25 and safe exits for those older who with adequate screenings then this world would be a much better place.

Reactions: loopdaloop and UtopianElephant
nothingbutmybest

nothingbutmybest

Student
May 1, 2023
I think the question is a little loaded because it implies that the right to die should be based on age. The reason why most people set age limits for anything is because it's a rough estimate of intelligence and character but the most important word here is rough.

You wouldn't really allow a severely mentally disabled person to kill themselves if they had no idea what death meant, regardless of what age they were. Of course it may not be as extreme as mental disability, but you probably also wouldn't let an unimaginably spoiled rich brat kill themselves over losing their car. That said, there are easily "underage" people with perfect mental competence, simply choosing to kill themselves. This is obviously cherrypicked but there was this one monk who set themselves on fire and meditated until they died as an act of protest against anti-Buddhist Vietnam. Anyone who is able to tolerate that level of pain while fully understanding that self-immolation causes such pain and death afterwards is mentally competent.

Though if I had to pick, it'd be 19 for the US because that's about a year after someone becomes an "adult" and has to take on both responsibilities and the consequences that come thereafter.

Odahviing475

Odahviing475

Apr 12, 2023
In my previous post I linked an article that explains why that's a myth. If you want to 'base it on stats, facts', at least do some research to check if what you're saying are facts.

That is so offensive: "I Do Not nor will I Ever agree with FuneralCry on the topic of antinatalism."

You're just not a rational person, and it's impossible to reason with one. That's why you stated some myth as fact without researching first, and reply with knee-jerk reactions to the most fundamental insights about the world.

25 is not some magical number, that is not what I'm saying. You say to do some basic research and I did just that, leading to gov websites that agree that the mid-late 20s are when the brain stops developing.

There are seven main stages of brain development, and the last one, myelination finished around the mid-20s. People tend to say 25, but that changes per person, it's not a magical age at which everything changes.

What I was trying to say was I don't think people should be allowed to CTB until their cognitive systems have fully developed because there is still a high capacity for neuroplasticity and change.

I learned all this from a neuroscience course, and a google search confirmed what I thought.

13, 18 and 21 aren't magic numbers either, but baselines have to start somewhere. We can't change laws or notions on a case by case basis.

Last edited:
Reactions: unnormal9
B

Buddha.chris

Mar 25, 2023
Speaking from experience as someone who should have ctb earlier & has attempted at age 11 I believe it is up to the individual at any age to make that choice because of the simple fact that your life and issues may progressively get worse as you age and you will soon come to the realization that nobody will come to your saving and no amount of treatment can fix depression suicidal thoughts,anxiety these are serious life threatening illnesses that society views as weak. Sometimes our parents try to stop us from ctb because of there own selfish reasons

Last edited:
Reactions: Peerless_Cucumber, Painfu.Ll.suffering, Volton and 1 other person
charlotte_

charlotte_

Arcanist
Mar 12, 2023
I think from around 20-25 would be good. Our brains only fully mature at the age of 25 despite already being of age at 18. Before that, there might be chances that you get influenced by someone or something, act on impulse or don''t fully see your situation from many angles. There might also be chance you can change your past situation in that time.

J

Jallu55

Apr 3, 2023
Speaking from experience as someone who should have ctb earlier & has attempted at age 11 I believe it is up to the individual at any age to make that choice because of the simple fact that your life and issues may progressively get worse as you age and you will soon come to the realization that nobody will come to your saving and no amount of treatment can fix depression suicidal thoughts,anxiety these are serious life threatening illnesses that society views as weak.
I attempted suicide first time at just before I was 12 and for me too the hill has gone almost exclusively downwards since, I certainly think the chance of your mental problems becoming worse and more numerous is much larger than the change for some drastic long time improvement but I guess there have still been moments where my life could have taken a road to become more tolerable instead of just becoming worse.

Well I guess I am quite happy about some of the escapist entertainment I have consumed after my first suicidal period but nowadays I feel too mentally ill to even really enjoy anything like that wholeheartedly so I think it would have been better if I "left" this fragile mind as a teen.

• Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: Painfu.Ll.suffering and Buddha.chris
SilentSadness

SilentSadness

Sitting in the darkness.
Feb 28, 2023
I believe antinatalism goes against basic human instinct and is a thought process of someone who has no concept of how others feel about their own lives. Just because we all struggle, doesn't mean everyone does, so we shouldn't push our feelings on others.
Human instinct is to selfishly abuse and torture others for personal gain, this really says nothing. Having children is understandable if the parent does their job properly, but in practice this almost never happens. I don't think @FuneralCry was pushing her feelings onto others, in fact all she has said is that she wants the right to die. People who idolise life like this always come across as insensitive to me, don't come to SS if you have so much disdain for suicidal people. And I'm sure all the people citing 25 years of age with the psychology jargon are over 25 themselves.

Reactions: Peerless_Cucumber, ijustwishtodie, pthnrdnojvsc and 2 others
F

FuneralGrey

Oct 12, 2022
I personally think 25, because that isn't just an age of majority based on country but is a time in every humans life when their brain is fully developed.
I'm inclined to agree with you, although the development of the prefrontal cortex (responsible for rational decision-making) can stretch past 25, especially if you've been a heavy user of drugs or alcohol.

Although round numbers are nice, I think we would be better off basing it off personal characteristics and assessments than black or white criteria. There's a part of me that thinks that anyone over the age of, say, 25 or 30 should be able to get a prescription for a lethal amount of medication (or access to some other peaceful form of suicide) without owing anyone an explanation if they are not suffering from an acute illness (mental or otherwise) or under a lot of stress. But people younger than that can appreciate and understand the choice they would be making, though that would have to be determined on a case-by-case basis.

Some people think "pro-choice" means giving everyone free access to suicide all the time, but I think we forget that someone acutely suffering from severe depression or psychosis isn't actually making a choice, in a sense. Above all, I do think people should always have access to high-quality, affordable mental health care – that's the only way you can ever really truly have a fair choice – but I know that's just a dream, at least for the foreseeable future.

• Love
Reactions: Unwr!tten
unnormal9

unnormal9

SOLDIER T.
Apr 12, 2023
I get what you're saying, I just feel like FC can make a lot of people feel worse than they already do by basically shaming them for wanting/having kids. It makes me generally pretty uncomfortable because the thought of one day having a family of my own is one of the only things keeping me sane and whenever I read FCs posts, I get a glimpse of extreme guilt, even though I'm not doing anything wrong.
I wouldn't want kids for two reasons. But mostly because I do not like nor equipped in any capacity to do so.
If we are talking safe exits, then 25 seems appropriate... The issue with 18 is that many of us were raised in broken homes and were not provided means for mental health care growing up. I've known too many people who struggled at 18 who haven't tried medications, therapy, etc, and I think that everyone deserves the right to treat mental health prior to making this decision.

That being said, I think the act itself should be decriminalized, as it is our body from birth. Suffering shouldn't require additional punishment imo. I don't think anyone should be forced to medicate, forced into facilities, or forced to exist. If we could provide affordable/free health care to those under 25 and safe exits for those older who with adequate screenings then this world would be a much better place.
There is no issue with 18.
Tch, because so called the brain is 'fully developed' by that age. Assuming.
25 is not some magical number
Finally.
don''t fully see your situation from many angles.
Bullshit, yeah they do.

act on impulse
Sometimes it's the only way to actually do it, because of the piss ass SI getting in the way.
I don't think @FuneralCry was pushing her feelings onto others
She never is.

Last edited:
Reactions: uniqueusername39
Unwr!tten

Unwr!tten

Saltier than SN
Apr 10, 2023
She never is.
No and I'm not saying she's some horrible person or should be banned or anything. I think she's a lovely person, however commenting in every single thread, guilt tripping people about wanting/having a family and kids is not it, even if it's unintentional.

Reactions: wendy5c and Tuurngait
F

FuneralGrey

Oct 12, 2022
There is no issue with 18.
Sometimes it's the only way to actually do it, because of the piss ass SI getting in the way.
The issue, in my opinion, is less with the specific number and more, as @TydalWave has suggested, that oftentimes people are not in a place where they can understand and appreciate their options. There are eighteen year olds who can understand what it would mean to ctb, and be certain and confident in their choice. But most of them will be seeking a quick escape from a difficult situation that could be resolved through other means. Obviously, access to secure housing, quality treatment, etc. remains a huge issue in modern society, so ctb is seen as a viable alternative. Ideally, ctb would be available once people were in stable, secure places in their lives, but evidently that's not how things work right now in most places.

Anyway, the issue with 18 is that from a physiological perspective, your pre-frontal cortex (responsible for impulse control and rational decision-making) is still developing, so you are still biologically hardwired to make poor choices without considering the consequences. Now, the whole "25" thing is equally problematic, because brain development doesn't really follow biological age and it differs hugely from person to person. At the end of the day, if you want to prevent impulsive, regrettable deaths (and maybe that's not your goal, idk) then it would really have to be evaluated on a case-by-case basis, no magic number involved.

I also hold the belief that if you're acting on impulse, you're not truly ready – that's just my opinion. SI will almost always be present, but when you understand what you are doing and are confident it's what you want, at least in my experience, there's no need for impulsive behaviour. If SI is so strong you have to act quickly and rashly, it's probably because SI knows it's not your time.

silent star

silent star

Soon I will forget this life
Apr 30, 2023
My opinion 18. I've been suicidal since I was 11 years old and in those years from then to now my view on suicide stayed the same, I'm 100% pro choice. I'm from Australia so from the moment you turn 18 you can drink you can join the army if you wanted to you are officially an adult and you have the right to choose what you want to do. if you seek out all other options and if ctb is the one that you think is the best of you then I think you have every right to do it

Reactions: wendy5c and unnormal9
unnormal9

unnormal9

SOLDIER T.
Apr 12, 2023
No and I'm not saying she's some horrible person or should be banned or anything. I think she's a lovely person, however commenting in every single thread, guilt tripping people about wanting/having a family and kids is not it, even if it's unintentional.
Only if you don't let them suffer the same way, and if they do, respect their decision if they decide to ctb.
My opinion 18. I've been suicidal since I was 11 years old and in those years from then to now my view on suicide stayed the same, I'm 100% pro choice. I'm from Australia so from the moment you turn 18 you can drink you can join the army if you wanted to you are officially an adult and you have the right to choose what you want to do. if you seek out all other options and if ctb is the one that you think is the best of you then I think you have every right to do it
Straight to the point, real, true.

Unwr!tten

Unwr!tten

Saltier than SN
Apr 10, 2023
The issue, in my opinion, is less with the specific number and more, as @TydalWave has suggested, that oftentimes people are not in a place where they can understand and appreciate their options. There are eighteen year olds who can understand what it would mean to ctb, and be certain and confident in their choice. But most of them will be seeking a quick escape from a difficult situation that could be resolved through other means. Obviously, access to secure housing, quality treatment, etc. remains a huge issue in modern society, so ctb is seen as a viable alternative. Ideally, ctb would be available once people were in stable, secure places in their lives, but evidently that's not how things work right now in most places.

Anyway, the issue with 18 is that from a physiological perspective, your pre-frontal cortex (responsible for impulse control and rational decision-making) is still developing, so you are still biologically hardwired to make poor choices without considering the consequences. Now, the whole "25" thing is equally problematic, because brain development doesn't really follow biological age and it differs hugely from person to person. At the end of the day, if you want to prevent impulsive, regrettable deaths (and maybe that's not your goal, idk) then it would really have to be evaluated on a case-by-case basis, no magic number involved.

I also hold the belief that if you're acting on impulse, you're not truly ready – that's just my opinion. SI will almost always be present, but when you understand what you are doing and are confident it's what you want, at least in my experience, there's no need for impulsive behaviour. If SI is so strong you have to act quickly and rashly, it's probably because SI knows it's not your time.
I Can agree so much with this. That's why I've also said that people could put in initial applications at 21, and it would take a year+ to get evaluated and approved.

uniqueusername39

uniqueusername39

Student
Mar 7, 2023
Antinatalism shouldn't make you feel guilty if you think it's wrong.

Unwr!tten

Unwr!tten

Saltier than SN
Apr 10, 2023
I'm just very sensitive in that way that when I feel like I'm being judged, whether that judgement is just or not, I feel like a sense of guilt.

Reactions: Painfu.Ll.suffering and Message In A Bottle
Body bobi

Body bobi

May 9, 2023
In my opinion I think that there is no right age to kill yourself... I think that it depends on what's happened in ur lifetime.. if it's something rlly bad that u can't love whit u can do it... Even if ur too young... God didn't though that I was too young... You can do that at any age...but I wloud ask... What is the right time to comit ctb?

NoLoveNoHope

NoLoveNoHope

Mage
Mar 25, 2023
In my opinion I think that there is no right age to kill yourself... I think that it depends on what's happened in ur lifetime.. if it's something rlly bad that u can't love whit u can do it... Even if ur too young... God didn't though that I was too young... You can do that at any age...but I wloud ask... What is the right time to comit ctb?
The right to die is allowing someone to off themselves by their own accord without intervention or I believe in this case it's referring to when you can legally get approved for voluntary euthanasia (other names include Medical Assistance in Dying and Voluntary Assisted Dying).

Wikipedia

• Love
Reactions: Peerless_Cucumber, Unwr!tten and Body bobi
Pidgeons_Sparrows

Pidgeons_Sparrows

-flying rat
Apr 16, 2023
I personally think 25, because that isn't just an age of majority based on country but is a time in every humans life when their brain is fully developed.
Yea 25 I guess

Unwr!tten

Unwr!tten

Saltier than SN
Apr 10, 2023
The right to die is allowing someone to off themselves by their own accord without intervention or I believe in this case it's referring to when you can legally get approved for voluntary euthanasia (other names include Medical Assistance in Dying and Voluntary Assisted Dying).

Wikipedia
Yeah, I'm just bad at wording questions 😂

GasMonkey

GasMonkey

Nitrogen Master Race
May 15, 2022
The age of majority (18) for sure.
At that age you can join the military and go to war to kill people, so not having access to CTB would be completely absurd.

PurpleParadigm

PurpleParadigm

The glow is an illusion
Mar 22, 2023
The age of majority (18) for sure.
At that age you can join the military and go to war to kill people, so not having access to CTB would be completely absurd.
In some places you can go to war at 18 but not be allowed to drink until 21. Funny that.

Reactions: Peerless_Cucumber and GasMonkey
RainAndSadness

RainAndSadness

Administrator
Jun 12, 2018
When you're old enough to pay taxes and that's 18 in most jusridictions. When you have responsibilities, you should also have the freedom to make important decisions about your own life. It's very simple and straight-forward in my opinion. Of course, goverments don't like to give you that freedom. They expect you to pay your taxpayer money like a good little citizen without giving you the freedom to reject your own life. They simply fail to recognise that the right to die is an extention of basic individual autonomy.

• Love
Reactions: 0000000000000, Arihman and GasMonkey
Nights

Nights

Student
Apr 27, 2023
There is no specific age, a person owns his life, so he can do whatever he wills with his life even if he's under 18, and nobody should have the authority to stop him from doing whatever he wills with his life, and also if there should be a age, then it shouldn't, because some people might be mentally grown enough to decide things regardless of their actual age, so in both cases i think there shouldn't be a specific age

Last edited:
Reactions: Peerless_Cucumber
SexyIncél

SexyIncél

🍭my lollipop brings the feminists to my candyshop
Aug 16, 2022
While I agree with you somewhat, isn't it a little silly to call someone offensive for disagreeing with an idea and then immediately just call them irrational and crazy? Either way this is a meaningless argument, modern day governments will never allow for the right to die at any age for the general public sadly.
@OceanBlue carefully said the OP's "just not a rational person, and it's impossible to reason with one." For announcing:

"I Do Not nor will I Ever agree with FuneralCry on the topic of antinatalism."

True. The essence of any exchange among rational people is the ability to say "Good argument, I'll have to change my views accordingly." The OP announced a commitment to irrationality

Ironic since the OP claims: "No, because children cannot make rational and logical decisions for themselves."

But we supposedly gain logical thinking around 7, and abstract thinking around 12. (I don't know the current research.) Later, we can override our biology -- and psychologically revert to irrationality

Last edited:
Reactions: Peerless_Cucumber
L

limerance1

This is where I long to be; La Isla Bonita
May 11, 2023
Though if I had to pick, it'd be 19 for the US because that's about a year after someone becomes an "adult" and has to take on both responsibilities and the consequences that come thereafter.
I agree with the above argument, but I would still move the bar to 25. At that point your brain is fully developed and you've gotten a solid grasp on the adult life experience by then.

18 being the age that you're conscripted/can join army makes sense on a certain level. But keep in mind that dying on your own accord, and dying on someone else's accord are different things. Moreover, unlike euthanasia, going to war does not guarantee death. Nor is death the point of war.

Reactions: nothingbutmybest