• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

SpiderLink

SpiderLink

they/them
Apr 3, 2023
I normally get the same old "go for a walk" "think of good things in your life" blah blah. What actually works? And not some cheesy ways that help.

Rocinante

Rocinante

Enlightened
Aug 26, 2022
For me, doing nothing.
Making a conscious effort to try and accomplish or do something makes me feel worse.
Doing nothing is underrated and relaxing. My favorite cope.
Walking can help, and it's routinely for me, but i still feel them same the moment I get home. If I don't go for walks I get a bit anxious.

SpiderLink

SpiderLink

they/them
Apr 3, 2023
For me, doing nothing.
Making a conscious effort to try and accomplish or do something makes me feel worse.
Doing nothing is underrated and relaxing. My favorite cope.
Walking can help, and it's routinely for me, but i still feel them same the moment I get home. If I don't go for walks I get a bit anxious.
Fair, thx for your input

Reactions: Rocinante
andaira2k

andaira2k

Passionate Enthusiast
May 29, 2023
Hey SpiderLink,
I can understand, that you feel bored by those answers, but sometimes it just really are little things, that can make you happy.
But first of all, you will have to try and find out what generally makes you happy and what doesn't. A walk can maybe be bad for you, since the silence makes you get lost in your bad thoughts, so I like to go to a crowded city, where you don't even get to think about anything, since there is so much happening right in front of you. On one side you see a cute girl / boy, on the other side you see someone playing an instrument, while someone else behind you gets hit by the crap of a bird, what makes you laugh. Then you decide to get some ice cream and wander around, until you see the best looking shirt you have ever seen and just buy it.
You go into bed thinking about how nice and funny this day was, while being excited to wear that new shirt tomorrow.
This is just an example, but that's something that would make me happy.
Of course this can not be done everyday, but even when you're busy, you can just think about how nice this day was.
Best of luck! :)

Grav

Grav

Wizard
Jul 26, 2020
Music mostly is what gets me up enough to do something else and feel like I'm doing something other than counting minutes go by. For the last 5 years or so concerts have been a big boost but you can only see so many shows during the year, trying to get to more local ones though. A close second is just watching something with the dogs.

Reactions: SpiderLink
noxu77

noxu77

Flip a coin ,take a chance.
May 29, 2023
if you feel like it look into this Thread its related to study's about correlation between exercise and mental health

N

nessun_nome

Student
May 7, 2023
I normally get the same old "go for a walk" "think of good things in your life" blah blah. What actually works? And not some cheesy ways that help.

I suspect everybody is different, but exercise is known to help in many cases. Lots of places now have well-being walks which introduces a bit of a social element.

For me, minor successes. Even if it's something mechanical like cleaning the house. Make a simple plan of a few easy things to do and work through them.

Mindfullness!

A related question should be "What things should be avoided?" For me it's the wasteful things like wasting time on the Internet, not doing things in line with your values (hard I know) and so on.

J

justwantpeace520

Jun 1, 2023
It depends on what has me down, but usually, going for a drive, usually by the coast, with the windows down and blasting Art Pepper or Coltrane with a joint or two.

Strawberry_Clouds

Strawberry_Clouds

( = ⩊ = )
Jun 17, 2023
a few things, drawing, listening to music, going on walks, hanging out with my friends