DivineMedicus

DivineMedicus

Vereor Nox
Sep 7, 2020
I think with the PC version it'll be more worth picking up. I've heard alot of bad mods have been circulating with the game though. So you may be cautious with that.

I didn't follow all of the hype with this game as I knew it was just that, hype. If you approach it without heavy expectations I think you'll enjoy it.
I'm actually impressed there are mods already available for this game. Would it not be wiser to develop mods once the game is stable from a technical standpoint? I'm not familiar with the nuances of mod development, so correct me if I'm wrong.

I only watched trailers of this game, and was intrigued by the cyberpunk setting as it's one of my favourites. The only other game I have played published by CDPR is Witcher 3, which was an absolutely incredible experience. I trust CDPR to actualize their games to the best of their abilities (especially in terms of storytelling), and am definitely looking forward to playing CP2077.

Sprite_Geist

Sprite_Geist

NULL
May 27, 2020
I played Cyberpunk 2077 when it was first released and stopped around 85% of the way through. Now that it is getting fixed I am about to start playing it again, because it is an awesome game.

I have also started playing Fallout 4 again after 4-5 years. I never finished my first playthrough because I got overwhelmed after taking on too many settlements at once - certain building resources are difficult to come by without mods. This time I am taking it more slowly and am aiming for a neutral/Minutemen ending.

Reactions: DivineMedicus
CatabolicSeed

CatabolicSeed

they/them
Feb 19, 2020
Recently finished Hades, one of the best games I've ever played tbh

Futile

Futile

Tired of being lonely
Sep 3, 2020
Planescape is maybe the game with the best atmosphere ever made, only Morrowind can compete with it. Rn I'm playing Pathfinder Kingmaker but my pc can't really handle it

• Love
Reactions: Skathon and Gerard de Nerval
neitherherenorthere

neitherherenorthere

Experienced
Apr 22, 2020
I enjoyed zombie apocalypse setting but didn't like having limited ammo and breaking melee weapons. I wish it had hand-to-hand combat feature or something.
You should definitely try The Evil Within 2 then. You can play through the whole game just stealth killing enemies with a knife, and once you beat the game on hard (I think) you unlock brass knuckles :)
Yeah, they're remasters. I know they're going to change some camera angles to be less focused on Miranda's bum.
This is one of the things in the remasters that I'm most excited about XD Better character customization will be nice, too.

Reactions: Mentalmick

Cluesome
Apr 5, 2018
You should definitely try The Evil Within 2 then. You can play through the whole game just stealth killing enemies with a knife, and once you beat the game on hard (I think) you unlock brass knuckles :)
I don't know... At this point I'd rather play as a zombie or some sort of abomination. I liked playing for Alien faction (especially as a headcrab) in Aliens vs. Predator. Also werewolves and vampires form TES series... I can't seem to think of more games where you can play as a monster.

Reactions: Skathon
Imaginos

Imaginos

Full-time layabout
Apr 7, 2018
Cyberpunk which was a rushed glitched out mess, poor game developers at Projekt Red.

Really? I wonder how the PC version is, assuming that's not what you're already playing. Even after all these years since its release, I still haven't checked out The Witcher 3. My only excuses basically boil down to being put off by the hype, not being in the mood, and just anhedonia in general. I also wanted to replay the first 2 Witchers before going on to the third, so that sort of makes the whole thing more daunting in itself.

finished Goetia today. It's a nice point-and-click that has a solid plot and good puzzles.

Heh, that's interesting. I played through that one too when I was on a bit of a point and click binge a couple years ago. Some of the puzzles in that game kicked my fucking ass to tell you the truth. Most of them were fine, but I seem to recall some being so ridiculous/indecipherable that a walkthrough was pretty much required. Kudos to if you managed to solve all of them on your own.

If you liked that, then I'd recommend the Rusty Lake/Cube Escape series. It's a very morbidly unique series, that takes a lot inspiration from Twin Peaks and David Lynch. The puzzles also felt a lot fairer versus something like Goetia and there was only a couple I ever got stuck on, but, even then, I managed to avoid needing a walkthrough. I don't know about you, but whenever I get stuck too much in a P&C game, I just tend to drop it. The more the answer eludes me, that more stressed out I get, and the more I just feel like a big dumb idiot.

I dropped Baba is You for pretty much this exact, since some of the bonus stages were just too mentally exhausting for me to try and figure out. I'm sure I could have pieced them together after enough time mulling it over, but enh. When it gets that involved, I'd rather just play something else. In Baba is You's case I just kept forgetting what all the rules were, which made it a lot harder to keep track of everything later on.

There's working on remakes of the first 3 me games.

Are they really? Huh, that's interesting. I might just check that out then. I replayed the entire series back in 2019, since I'd never played 3 before. I still found myself enjoying ME1 even after all these years, but, due to my own insane antics, I kind of soured my playthrough of it near the end. So much so, that I had to download someone else's save in place of my shittier one. I'd never done a renegade playthrough before, so I thought I'd focus on that for something different, but, in the end, that mostly just screws you out of content in the other games. By the time I realized that, it was already too late. In my case, I didn't want to waste time replaying it again for a second time, so I just went to a ME saves websites where you can pick whichever one you want, right down to the most insignificant choices.

The thing that soured it the most though, was when I thought I could salvage my original save and go back a little to change some choices around, but I just ended up wasting like 4-5 hours of my time in doing so, which really, really sucked. I was also super absent minded with my quicksaves while I was playing and would sometimes do something stupid, like say the wrong thing to a character or get myself killed, only to have to replay like 40-50 minutes because I forgot to quick save.

There was also a lot of lame things about ME1 that I had forgotten about. Like the tedious loot system and all the clutter and useless crap you get buried in, the constant map recycling (I swear you see the same underground base and warehouse map like 50 frigging times at least and nearly every side quest seems to end in one of those two places), the sheer generic emptiness of each world, and all the forced Mako centric combat
corridors in each major mission which are really gimmicky and boring.

Still, even despite all that, I would've come away from it satisfied had it not been for all the bullshit I got up to because of my OCD tendencies and generally stupid nature. When it comes to the remaster, I really hope they add in a couple new environments/maps to spice up the side quests, but it seems doubtful they will, which definitely sucks. If it's like nearly any other remaster out there, it'll just be a slight graphical upgrade with little to no extra content added.

Setting aside ME1 though, I really enjoyed replaying ME2. Yes, it's way more linear and stripped down versus ME1, but the content and side quests feel a thousand times more meaningful and interesting. The only thing that really bothered me about it was at the very end, where a certain DLC character isn't considered a proper fire team leader, despite having decades of combat experience under his belt. I always used Garrus in the past, but thought I'd try Zaeed this time, only to get slapped in the face by Bioware's arbitrary decision to not include him as a proper pick for the very final mission. I mean, c'mon, Jacob and Miranda are proper fire team leaders, but Zaeed isn't? That's just total bullcrap, to be honest. It's a small annoyance, but I still found it an inconvenient thing to suffer with, in what was otherwise still a really great game.

ME3 I actually hated at first, but about halfway through, I'd say it started to almost become my favorite entry out of all of them. To tell you the truth, I honestly have no idea why people were so pissed off about the ending. Believe it or not, but I actually thought it was pretty satisfying. Keep in mind though, that I played the complete edition, which I believe included the expanded ending, which added much needed closure to all of your team mates. It also had hands down the best DLC content of the entire series and the one involving pretty much all of your party members from across all three games was really memorable and fun.

I'll also quickly mention that while ME: Andromeda was really shoddy in certain areas, it still wasn't even remotely as bad as people made it out to be. There was still a lot of great stuff about it, especially the combat, and I for one didn't regret playing it.

Anyway, it'll be nice to play the remasters regardless. It'll give me a chance to make up with ME1 and I can tell you for one thing that I won't be making the same mistake of going renegade again. Maybe I might for ME2 and ME3, but definitely not for ME1. Already learned that one the hard way.

neitherherenorthere

neitherherenorthere

Experienced
Apr 22, 2020
I don't know... At this point I'd rather play as a zombie or some sort of abomination. I liked playing for Alien faction (especially as a headcrab) in Aliens vs. Predator. Also werewolves and vampires form TES series... I can't seem to think of more games where you can play as a monster.
Carrion lets you do exactly that, actually. It's 2D, and I don't know specifically what the gameplay is like, but you're the monster and you basically run around and eat people. It's gotten very good reviews. There are definitely some vampire games where you're the vampire. Vampyr comes to mind, though it seems like there are some issues people have with gameplay.
Heh, that's interesting. I played through that one too when I was on a bit of a point and click binge a couple years ago. Some of the puzzles in that game kicked my fucking ass to tell you the truth. Most of them were fine, but I seem to recall some being so ridiculous/indecipherable that a walkthrough was pretty much required. Kudos to if you managed to solve all of them on your own.

If you liked that, then I'd recommend the Rusty Lake/Cube Escape series. It's a very morbidly unique series, that takes a lot inspiration from Twin Peaks and David Lynch. The puzzles also felt a lot fairer versus something like Goetia and there was only a couple I ever got stuck on, but, even then, I managed to avoid needing a walkthrough. I don't know about you, but whenever I get stuck too much in a P&C game, I just tend to drop it. The more the answer eludes me, that more stressed out I get, and the more I just feel like a big dumb idiot.

I dropped Baba is You for pretty much this exact, since some of the bonus stages were just too mentally exhausting for me to try and figure out. I'm sure I could have pieced them together after enough time mulling it over, but enh. When it gets that involved, I'd rather just play something else. In Baba is You's case I just kept forgetting what all the rules were, which made it a lot harder to keep track of everything later on.
Haha I'm not that smart, I had to use a walkthrough for a few of the puzzles. A couple of them were straight up unfair and/or misleading, which was annoying. But other than that I thought it avoided mostly everything that point and clicks get criticized for.

I was looking at the Rusty Lake games a little while back, good to know they're worth playing. I'll check them out, thanks for the suggestion. I've also read good things about Baba is You, but based on what you said about having to remember rules it might be too complex for me to handle right now. My steam backlog is big enough already anyway :)

Reactions: Imaginos and 262653

Cluesome
Apr 5, 2018
Carrion lets you do exactly that, actually. It's 2D, and I don't know specifically what the gameplay is like, but you're the monster and you basically run around and eat people. It's gotten very good reviews.
Wow! The gameplay videos impressed me way more than I anticipated. The "protagonist" reminds me of symbiote. That black jelly substance from Marvel universe.

Reactions: neitherherenorthere
Bahbah Blacksheep

Bahbah Blacksheep

Dec 23, 2019
I keep buying games but never play them. I think I do it because I miss gaming so much, it's been my main hobby my whole life, but I also know that it's not coming back.
I used to be able to play games all day. Nowadays that only happens occasionally and I cherish those moments where I can get sucked into a game and actually enjoy it.

On topic: I've finally gotten around to playing Red Dead Redemption 2

Last edited:
Reactions: Wishfulignorance and signifying nothing
nora.

nora.

Be Free
Jan 2, 2021
currently playing craftopia. its like breath of the wild+pokemon+minecraft alltogether. its kinda laggy on multi tho. any more games that anyone recommends?

Imaginos

Imaginos

Full-time layabout
Apr 7, 2018
I can't seem to think of more games where you can play as a monster.

They might be older and a little obscure, but two examples that come to mind would be Stubbs the Zombie and the Overlord series. There's also Destroy All Humans, which I believe is getting a full on remake, assuming it's not already released. I'd mention The Darkness 1 & 2 as well, but they're more you playing as an anti-hero, versus an out and out monster. There also seems to be a lot of online games these days that let you play as the killer hunting down other players, ala a slasher movie. There's also an old Half Life mod that lets you play as a vortigaunt, but I guess that's really reaching at this point. Especially since they were only misunderstood monsters/enslaved against their will by those floating giant head things in Xen.

I'm still trying to motivate myself to finish my akumu playthrough of The Evil Within. If you don't know, that's the one where just one hit will kill you instantly. I'm only a couple chapters away from the end and the hardest parts are arguably behind me at this point, but enh. I still just really needed a break. I'd very much like to check out the sequel, but it just wouldn't feel right until I finish what I started and finally claim victory over akumu difficulty. My sense of completionism, although not nearly as bad as it used to be in the past, can still be a pesky thing to deal with. I actually went to the trouble of getting all the trophies for Dead Space 2, which hardest difficulty required completing the entire game with only a 3 save limit. I only died twice, but man did those deaths hurt. The foam finger gun you get for completing it that kills everything in one hit made it worth it though. Sort of.

Haha I'm not that smart, I had to use a walkthrough for a few of the puzzles. A couple of them were straight up unfair and/or misleading, which was annoying. But other than that I thought it avoided mostly everything that point and clicks get criticized for.

Ah, I see. Well, no worries. I really think that sometimes developers need to playtest this sort of thing beforehand a bit more. I sometimes wonder if they can become a bit blinded to how obtuse their puzzles are, given that they already know the answer and can't realize how dense/harebrained the logic is behind it. I still enjoyed it for its story and ghostly atmosphere, but it would've been nice if all the puzzles had been designed with a little more care and self-awareness in mind so that they could have enhanced the experience further. I'm curious though, what would you say are the things most point and clicks get criticized for? For me, if the story isn't good or interesting, then that pretty much kills the motivation to play a point and click right off the bat.

I was looking at the Rusty Lake games a little while back, good to know they're worth playing.

Yep, they're something else alright. Very macabre sense of style for sure. There's also the Cube Escape series, which are a set of free online flash games that sort of act as a companion piece to the Rusty Lake series. They're very short and some can be finished in as little as 5 minutes, but they're pretty good as well and gives you more backstory to the characters/universe, assuming you're interested. Cube Escape Paradox is the only one you have to pay for, since it was made to be equal to the mainline Rusty Lake games and is available on Steam. I believe the developers have actually released another new entry since then, but I've yet to check it out. If it's anything like the past entries in the series, I'm sure it'll be a pleasantly twisted experience.

If you ever want suggestions for other point and click games you might not have heard of, or just obscure games in general, feel free to let me know. I've spent a lot of time in the bowels of that genre and have played/seen some pretty weird stuff. If I had to give a quick recommendation though of a great contemporary publisher of point and click games, then that would have to be Wadjet Eye. It's a shame they don't seem to be very active anymore, but everything they've released has been great. Gemini Rue and the entire Blackwell Series would definitely be my favorites from them.

Carrion lets you do exactly that, actually. It's 2D, and I don't know specifically what the gameplay is like, but you're the monster and you basically run around and eat people.

Yes, that one looks really promising. And damn, what do you know it already came out last year! I still remember seeing it when it was just a prototype trailer. I guess I need to play that at some point too. The previous game from this publisher was actually really good too. It's called Butcher and is a 2D take on old school shooters like Quake. Funnily enough, you actually play as a monster in that game too. An unstoppable terminator that wants to blow up the Earth and eradicate humanity forever. Just a hint, but the ending is very satisfying on that front, assuming you're into that sort of thing.

Vampyr comes to mind, though it seems like there are some issues people have with gameplay.

Yeah, I found Vampyr really disappointing to be honest. I finished it, but you're right that it had a lot of issues. It was cool being able to farm humans for their precious blood, but the act of doing so got really tedious after a while. And yeah, the combat could've used a lot of extra fine tuning. Hit boxes were really bad and the loot system felt like an afterthought. The endings were also pretty crappy and it's funny how the worst ending you can get, the one where you go full crazed vampire and eat everybody, is actually far and away the best one of the lot.

The silver lining though is that it finally compelled me to play Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines, in want of a really good vampire RPG, and it's hands down one of the best games I've ever played. I'd even go so far as to say it's my most favorite RPG ever and I've played/finished quite a few.

Last edited:

Cluesome
Apr 5, 2018
They might be older and a little obscure, but two examples that come to mind would be Stubbs the Zombie and the Overlord series. There's also Destroy All Humans, which I believe is getting a full on remake, assuming it's not already released. I'd mention The Darkness 1 & 2 as well, but they're more you playing as an anti-hero, versus an out and out monster. There also seems to be a lot of online games these days that let you play as the killer hunting down other players, ala a slasher movie. There's also an old Half Life mod that lets you play as a vortigaunt, but I guess that's really reaching at this point. Especially since they were only misunderstood monsters/enslaved against their will by those floating giant head things in Xen.
I played a little of Darkness. Didn't like the servile attitude towards the boss, that fucking aunt with her shitty wisdom quotes, and the fact that the protagonist is male. I enjoyed the dialogue between the human and the monster, like Parasyte: The Maxim.

I liked Xen and its inhabitants. One of the most charming places I've ever stepped my digital foot into, on par with Blackreach. I also played about 10k hours in Counter-Strike 1.6, about which at least 3k went on zombie mods, like biohazard, zombie plague and zombie escape, so I've played a great deal of time as a zombie. Fun times.

neitherherenorthere

neitherherenorthere

Experienced
Apr 22, 2020
@Imaginos Damn, akumu in The Evil Within?? That's a hell of a goal. I agree, playing a sequel before you've accomplished what you want in the original game feels wrong. You've probably read this in reviews already, but The Evil Within 2 is a totally different game than the original. I loved them both, but for different reasons. They also made the stealth not horrible in the sequel and kept akumu difficulty.

Yeah, I don't think anyone plays point and clicks for the gameplay. If the story's no good there's no incentive to keep going. As far as criticisms/cliches go, I was thinking of pixel hunting and backtracking through every single room you've been in to find things you missed, puzzles that make no logical sense, or when you have a million items in your inventory but have no idea what to do, so you go through and try every possible combination of items until something works. With a few exceptions, whenever I got stuck in Goetia it was just because I'd forgotten about something I'd read in the notes earlier. The difficulty curve was nice too.

Have you played any of the Zero Escape games? They're sort of point and click visual novels. I still haven't gotten around to playing the 2nd and 3rd but I thought the first one was excellent (and it has multiple endings to satisfy the completionist in you). There's also Another Code and Hotel Dusk which are for DS, and their sequels (which I haven't played) on the Wii and DS, respectively. They're not perfect, but the DS is a great platform for that type of game and the art is very good. Hotel Dusk also has a solid noir atmosphere.

I've been going back and forth on Bloodlines for a while, but you just sold me on it. Based on what you said I think I'll be playing the Rusty Lake games and Cube Escape Paradox too. Thanks for helping me part with my money :)

T

Teas

Nov 4, 2018
Currently playing RDR2. Should keep me busy from overthinking my life.

Reactions: stygal and Bahbah Blacksheep
Deleted member 26067

Deleted member 26067

Perennis odium
Feb 4, 2021
Video games. One of the few small diversions in this world that has kept me from offing myself. It's all that's left.

Valkyria Chronicles 4, for the armchair general in me. Would love Demon's Souls, if it were even possible to get a PS5....

Reactions: hyacinths and Skathon
Luchs

Luchs

kristallene Bergluft über verfallener Gruft
Aug 20, 2019
I'm currently playing simpleplanes. It is a really fun game where you construct aircraft with a semi-realistic aerodynamics simulation and fly around for fun or do challenges with the planes you have built. I also play loads of Spore.

Imaginos

Imaginos

Full-time layabout
Apr 7, 2018
You've probably read this in reviews already, but The Evil Within 2 is a totally different game than the original. I loved them both, but for different reasons. They also made the stealth not horrible in the sequel and kept akumu difficulty.

Yeah, it's open world, is it not? That already seems like a weird transition considering the near complete linearity of the first one. The thing with The Evil Within that always stood out to me about it was its variety in locations and such, what with you constantly being shifted around the inner nightmare world of a madman. Also, just how the sheer filthiness of the game world oozes through the screen a lot of the time makes for a unique, yet a bit unpleasant, sense of atmosphere. At the same time, although I like The Evil Within, I have to admit there's something kind of generic about it. Like there's something important missing to really pull it all together. In that sense, I can kind of understand why it got such a mixed reception when it first came out. I'll also admit that RE4 is in my top 5 most favorite games ever and, on some level, The Evil Within will always seem like a pale imitation of it. It's still good of course, but it never quite got to being great, at least for me anyway. And yeah, the stealth system in the original is complete garbage and barely even works 90% of the time. Next to that, another thing I didn't much care for was that dumb crossbow weapon which, to me, always felt super gimmicky and seemed like it was there only to justify the game's lame crafting mechanic. I'll also mention that while the boss variety in The Evil Within was good, the enemy variety really wasn't. The weapon selection could have also been expanded and the upgrade system could probably have been better tweaked as well.

Having said all that, The Evil Within 2 still seems more than worth playing. I'm actually still kind of surprised that this got a sequel at all. Truth be told, I'm a huge fan of horror games in general, so I'm always on the lookout for something new I haven't yet played in that genre.

I was thinking of pixel hunting and backtracking through every single room you've been in to find things you missed, puzzles that make no logical sense, or when you have a million items in your inventory but have no idea what to do, so you go through and try every possible combination of items until something works.

Ah, gotcha. Those are all definitely some of the usual wrinkles to this particular genre. The whole, trying everything in your inventory on every possible object you can click on, is something I've done quite a number of times. Either because the puzzles are just way too cryptic or because I'm just too stupid to know what I have to do next, so I'm just trying to brute force my way forward. On that note, I'll make the additional mention that the biggest sin a point and click can commit, game design wise, is not giving the player a proper hint as to what they need to do next. I especially hate it when a lot of what you can interact with in the environment isn't meant for the puzzle you're currently trying to solve, but for other puzzles later on. Of course, in the moment, you can never tell that's the case and everything appears as if it might potentially have some relevance to the answers you seek, even though they don't. I just wish some developers didn't feel the need to muddy the waters like this, since I feel like it only gets in the way of having a good time. Instead of actually solving a puzzle, you're just trying to determine what the puzzle as a default is even asking you to do, in the midst of misleading information and other puzzles not yet available. Like trying to find a needle in a haystack almost. I've found a lot of Daedalic's point and click games to be like this and it's just really frustrating is all. It feels like an artificial sense of difficulty and more just boils down to how lucky you are to click on the right things.

Have you played any of the Zero Escape games? They're sort of point and click visual novels. I still haven't gotten around to playing the 2nd and 3rd but I thought the first one was excellent (and it has multiple endings to satisfy the completionist in you). There's also Another Code and Hotel Dusk which are for DS, and their sequels (which I haven't played) on the Wii and DS, respectively. They're not perfect, but the DS is a great platform for that type of game and the art is very good. Hotel Dusk also has a solid noir atmosphere.

No, I haven't. I've heard of them, but never played them. I know there are a few in the series, but the only entry I've ever seen was that one available on Steam. I'm not a particular huge fan of visual novel type games, but it certainly does seem interesting. Saya no Uta is basically the only visual novel I've ever played/finished and, I gotta say, it'd be hard for anything to ever top that one. I was going to play Narcissu at some point, since I heard it's also a good visual novel, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

And yeah, Hotel Dusk is something I've wanted to play for the longest time. I have the ROM on my computer and was planning on emulating it at some point, but, again, I just haven't gotten around to it. I'd actually never heard of Another Code until now, but that looks quite good as well. Thanks for letting me know about it.

I've been going back and forth on Bloodlines for a while, but you just sold me on it. Based on what you said I think I'll be playing the Rusty Lake games and Cube Escape Paradox too. Thanks for helping me part with my money

Glad to hear it. Here's hoping you enjoy it. And, even if you don't, that's okay too. :ahhha:

Last edited:
neitherherenorthere

neitherherenorthere

Experienced
Apr 22, 2020
Yeah, it's open world, is it not? That already seems like a weird transition considering the near complete linearity of the first one. The thing with The Evil Within that always stood out to me about it was its variety in locations and such, what with you constantly being shifted around the inner nightmare world of a madman. Also, just how the sheer filthiness of the game world oozes through the screen a lot of the time makes for a unique, yet a bit unpleasant, sense of atmosphere. At the same time, although I like The Evil Within, I have to admit there's something kind of generic about it. Like there's something important missing to really pull it all together. In that sense, I can kind of understand why it got such a mixed reception when it first came out. I'll also admit that RE4 is in my top 5 most favorite games ever and, on some level, The Evil Within will always seem like a pale imitation of it. It's still good of course, but it never quite got to being great, at least for me anyway. And yeah, the stealth system in the original is complete garbage and barely even works 90% of the time. Next to that, another thing I didn't much care for was that dumb crossbow weapon which, to me, always felt super gimmicky and seemed like it was there only to justify the game's lame crafting mechanic. I'll also mention that while the boss variety in The Evil Within was good, the enemy variety really wasn't. The weapon selection could have also been expanded and the upgrade system could probably have been better tweaked as well.
RE4 is one of my all-time faves too :)

IMO the shift to a more open world design works really well. It's obviously not skyrim-level open world, but I really enjoy that sense of having a home base to come back to and then keep exploring in other directions. It also gives you a chance to go back and find things you missed. They made the crafting mechanic less gimmicky. You improve your weapons with spare parts you find rather than with gel, and you can make healing items and things. It does make you wonder how Seb has all this knowledge about making guns, though.

And yeah, Hotel Dusk is something I've wanted to play for the longest time. I have the ROM on my computer and was planning on emulating it at some point, but, again, I just haven't gotten around to it.
The only problem with emulating these games in particular is that you hold the DS like a book... meaning you either have to change your screen orientation to portrait or hold your laptop sideways. It makes it confusing to play with a mouse. My current thought is to either use a tablet or something with a touchscreen or to use a multi-monitor setup to get around that problem, but I haven't tested either yet. There's also one puzzle in Another Code that specifically requires you to close the DS, which I'm not sure how an emulator would handle--maybe just putting your computer into sleep mode and waking it up again would work. If you have a DS and a flash cart (or can find the games used for cheap online) that would probably be easiest.

Imaginos

Imaginos

Full-time layabout
Apr 7, 2018
The only problem with emulating these games in particular is that you hold the DS like a book... meaning you either have to change your screen orientation to portrait or hold your laptop sideways. It makes it confusing to play with a mouse. My current thought is to either use a tablet or something with a touchscreen or to use a multi-monitor setup to get around that problem, but I haven't tested either yet. There's also one puzzle in Another Code that specifically requires you to close the DS, which I'm not sure how an emulator would handle--maybe just putting your computer into sleep mode and waking it up again would work. If you have a DS and a flash cart (or can find the games used for cheap online) that would probably be easiest.

Yeah, that's a good point. I'll admit that I haven't emulated very many DS games. Only one actually. That being Alien: Infestation, quite a number of years back. I don't recall experiencing many problems, but it was a while ago, so I can't really remember for sure. I'm pretty sure it was fine, but other stuff might be a different story. I do know that emulating Wii games was pretty much impossible without a Wii mote and nunchuck. I managed to muddle my way though a few games without it and instead mapping the controls to a PS3 dualshock controller, but it took a lot of finagling. Until I set up an actual Wii mote bluetooth sensor to my computer, I won't bother trying to emulate any more Wii games. I could always just buy a modified Wii and burn the ROMs/ISOs on to discs and play them that way, but for me, I just like the extra options that comes with emulation and the fact that you can upscale and improve the look of various games. When it comes to Hotel Dusk and Across Code though, it could be argued that playing them on a DS would be better. When it comes to that puzzle you mentioned, I believe you can emulate a DS shutdown, or "closed mode", within the emulator so one should be able to complete it that way.

Green Destiny

Green Destiny

Life isn't worth the trouble.
Nov 16, 2019
I played Cyberpunk 2077 when it was first released and stopped around 85% of the way through. Now that it is getting fixed I am about to start playing it again, because it is an awesome game.

I have also started playing Fallout 4 again after 4-5 years. I never finished my first playthrough because I got overwhelmed after taking on too many settlements at once - certain building resources are difficult to come by without mods. This time I am taking it more slowly and am aiming for a neutral/Minutemen ending.
Don't know if you're into Mods for Fallout 4 but mods can give you a bunch more stuff to do. You can get guns, graphics and even more story and quest lines. Especially a Mod call Sim Settlements, takes Settlements and Settlers and makes them more expansive and productive.

Nymph

Nymph

he/him
Jul 15, 2020
Playing zelda phantom hourglass atm

• Love
Reactions: Life sucks and neitherherenorthere
Sprite_Geist

Sprite_Geist

NULL
May 27, 2020
Don't know if you're into Mods for Fallout 4 but mods can give you a bunch more stuff to do. You can get guns, graphics and even more story and quest lines. Especially a Mod call Sim Settlements, takes Settlements and Settlers and makes them more expansive and productive.

Yes I like mods. I have heard of Sim Settlements, but I will read more into it - thank you for the suggestion. Do you know of the Durable Vertibirds mod? It makes them stronger so they are less likely to spawn in and instantly nose-dive like what usually happens. It is a good one to have even if you do not like using mods.

waived

waived

I am a sunrise
Jan 5, 2019
So I was entering Камышово from the south..

kappa

kappa

Experienced
Apr 2, 2019
Played nothing but Overwatch mainly for almost 2 years.

Recently got Animal Crossing... bought Red Dead 2 but the missions just take too long.

Considering buying Bioshock Infinite on PC. Have it for 360- heard it can look great on PC?

Pretty much retired from Gotham City Imposters :(

Imaginos

Imaginos

Full-time layabout
Apr 7, 2018
Well, I just finished Planescape Torment. It was good, but the latter half of the game was kind of disappointing. The story stayed mostly strong, but I don't know. Everything else just seemed kind of rushed without all that much meat to it. Each proceeding environment you visit beyond Sigil feels exceedingly bare bones and limited, so that kind of sucked. I feel like the pacing kind of suffered as a result, since even the story felt like it was being pushed along faster than it should have, merely as a result of there not being enough content in the game for anything else. I'd imagine the developers must've found themselves running out of money, or something like that. The one thing that bothered me the most though was how ridiculously anti-climactic the ending is. You just beat the final boss and then boom; roll credits. No witnessing the ramifications of your actions, no saying goodbye to your party members, no extra closure whatsoever. There's just nothing at all, which I found pretty damn lame. I mean, yeah, you get most of the loose ends tied up in conversations beforehand, but c'mon. Couldn't the developers have sprung for a bit more than that?

It also sucks that all the endings are pretty much identical to each other. The final boss dies and that's it. It's like nothing you did or said even mattered. Even the "best" ending, the one where you recover your name and merge with your mortality, leads to the exact same cutscene as all the rest and then your left staring at the credits. It's like, what the hell? The developers seriously must've run out of money by this point. It also sucked that even when you resurrect your companions, it means nothing. You kill the final boss and guess what? Yep, same cutscene as the rest and then the credits roll. You don't even get to talk with them afterwards! Like, WTF! What does it matter then? Fucking lame as hell. Even the worst ending is kind of moot, since you just end up on the abyssal plane fighting in the blood war. Like, okay. Guess TNO is still alive in a sense then, so what was exactly fucking accomplished here? And what about Deionarra. Why isn't there an ending where you manage to reunite with her, as your character can vow to do? Again, it just doesn't fucking matter, like so much of what you do throughout the game.

I found it interesting though how your mortality responds with the answer I would have given when you can ask him the main question of the game which is; what can change the nature of a man? His answer, like mine, is that nothing can. Your character rebukes this answer and says the opposite. That anything can change the nature of a man if he truly wishes it, but I call bullshit on that. People can only be who they have always been, and will always be. When the chips are down, or at any moment deep within their hearts, no one ever changes. They can mimic an outward change, but on the inside they will always remain the same. Even if they never admit it to others, even if they never admit it to most of their own selves, their true nature will always be a fixed point of who they are. This is why TNO's original quest for immortality was pointless. He sought to change his own nature and to make up for the numerous wrongdoings made in his first life, even though this was an utterly self-defeating goal and only caused more torment and misery for himself and others in the wake of it. It's only by undoing his mistake and remembering who he truly is, and will therefore always be, that he regains any modicum of peace/freedom from the torment he sought to escape, and the wrongs he had hoped to atone for.

On a random side note, most of the writing in this game seemed to reflect the ego of the writers to the extent of them wanting to deny a bitter truth in favor of a pleasing lie. Clinging to the usual crap people tend to tell themselves to get through the day. Such as that no one is beyond saving, nothing is ever too late, although life is pain filled that doesn't mean it's valueless, it's always possible to change things around for the better. It was examples like these which made for a very nauseating display of naive optimism in an otherwise unique and deeply insightful game.

Anyway, I enjoyed playing it and the story was certainly memorable/engaging, but in the end it left me wanting. I'm not sure it's as good as everyone's made it out to be over the years, but it was still certainly worth experiencing. I'm also wondering if that spiritual successor and pseudo sequel that came out a couple years back is actually worth playing or not.

If possible, I'd like to hear from others who might have played this. What did you think about it? Did you also find the ending unsatisfactory. It'd just be nice to discuss my thoughts with someone else is all, instead of simply posting them for their own sake.

Last edited:
RoyalSapphire

RoyalSapphire

Aug 11, 2020
I'm currently going through the Mass Effect series for the first time, as I'm a sucker for sci-fi and RPG. Still on ME1 right now but I'm enjoying the journey so far! Otherwise I play CS:GO with friends, because fuck solo-queueing.
heyyy i played me1 for the first time a couple months back, that plot felt like the pinnacle of the sci-fi genre(wont say anything else so you dont get too hyped)
finished Doom(2016) last month and now playing Stardew Valley AGAIN i swear every time i try and stop playing it a new update comes out and im back growing starfruits

Last edited:
Reactions: DivineMedicus
Shero

Shero

Experienced
Dec 19, 2019
Last thing i finished was Hollow Knight. Truely a gem of a game.
I could write an essay on why that is.

DivineMedicus

DivineMedicus

Vereor Nox
Sep 7, 2020
heyyy i played me1 for the first time a couple months back, that plot felt like the pinnacle of the sci-fi genre(wont say anything else so you dont get too hyped)
finished Doom(2016) last month and now playing Stardew Valley AGAIN i swear every time i try and stop playing it a new update comes out and im back growing starfruits
Ooh Stardew Valley? I love that game lol. My initial assessment of the game was that it's meant for little kids who have nothing better to do. I bought the game on a whim after being peer-pressured and immediately I felt I was missing out on so much. It's very relaxing, the world-building is captivating, and the gameplay itself somehow is quite addictive. I only finished 1 year before stopping because I was busy irl, but with this new update I might consider creating a new save.

Reactions: RoyalSapphire