Imaginos

Imaginos

Full-time layabout
Apr 7, 2018
I didn't notice a thread for this, so I just thought I'd make one. Hopefully it won't die. Personally, I don't play a lot of video games these days, but it remains to me as something to help kill time. Even if it, admittedly, a lot of the time feels like a chore.

Anyway, I'm finally playing through Planescape: Torment. I haven't finished my playthrough just yet, but I'm very much enjoying it so far. Progress-wise, I've just left Sigil and have made it to the Outlands. I ended up joining the Godsmen for the loot I thought I'd get, but roleplaying-wise I'd rather have gone with the Dustmen or remained factionless. I was lucky enough to pick up a full party, since a couple of them appear easily missable (like Indus). I've gone full mage and have spread my points between charisma, intelligence and wisdom. As a result, I've gotten loads of extra tidbits to the story and various conversations (like those to do with Morte), which has been nice. I've basically talked to every NPC and done every quest I could find, since many of the quests only come from following up on the right responses when talking with them. I'd have to say that, so far, the talks with Dakkon have been my favorite, along with confronting Ravel. I just wish that when it came time to answer the titular question of; "What can change the nature of a man/person?", you had the option to say that nothing can. The next best alternative was; "I don't know", which didn't feel particularly satisfactory. I'll also say that reading Deionarra's memory in the private sensorium really hit me in the feels. I can only dream of somebody ever loving me that much. I pretty much felt my heart die a little inside my chest the whole time I was reading it.

I'll also say that, god damn, is the lore of dungeon and dragons overwhelming. So much so, that I wished they cut it back or something. It's sort of like the expanded universe when it comes to Star Wars, or how massive the lore is with most comic books at this point. World building is fine, but past a certain point it kind of just gets ridiculous. All the stuff about how the planes are separated from each other, and everything else going on beyond Sigil and the main story, still kind of just goes over my head, honestly.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Nomad7, lobster salad, Dazards55 and 5 others
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
Uh I've been playing Jurassic World Evolution ever since it came out on Switch. It was a little stressful at first and I still find myself not being able to play more than a few hours without getting freaked out when something bad is about to happen but overall I'm having fun.

Reactions: NightmareTour and Mentalmick
Mentalmick

Mentalmick

IMHOTEP!!!
Nov 30, 2020
Last game I finished was the Demon's Souls remake. Haven't played anything since.

Reactions: Nutshell, MrBigSad, DivineMedicus and 2 others
BluesRunTheGame

BluesRunTheGame

Blackpilled
Dec 15, 2020
Just finished Sonic 2, been playing Sonic Spinball. I only like games from my childhood lol.

• Love
Reactions: Skathon, Green Destiny and Mentalmick
Imaginos

Imaginos

Full-time layabout
Apr 7, 2018
Last game I finished was the Demon's Souls remake. Haven't played anything since.

I had no idea that had even come out yet. As it stands, I've been out of the loop of the video game world for at least a year. I didn't even know about the PS5 until my brother told me about it. I used to care a little bit about staying appraised in regards to what was happening or being released gaming-wise, but for the longest time now I just haven't. I skipped this last console generation (PS4, XB1, Switch) for lack of any genuine interest and, if it weren't for my PC, I probably would've given up gaming altogether. I bought a VR headset a long time ago, but I still haven't even taken it out of its box. That's how little I give a shit these days.

But, of course, then I'm simply left with nothing. There's nothing else I have to fill the hole, although lately I've been watching random films/TV shows/anime again. I don't care about anything and the internet in a lot ways might as well not even exist. I hadn't lurked or posted anywhere in a little over a year, as a matter of fact. How the hell do you cope with your situation when you've literally got nothing to cope with? That's the question I'm forced to constantly ask myself. In the end, all I can do is endure the nothingness, since I don't have a gun to stick in my mouth yet. In the meantime, I'm forced to simply wait around for death to arrive, while feeling every inch of myself rot in torment the whole while.

• Hugs
Reactions: Mentalmick
Mentalmick

Mentalmick

IMHOTEP!!!
Nov 30, 2020
I had no idea that had even come out yet. As it stands, I've been out of the loop of the video game world for at least a year. I didn't even know about the PS5 until my brother told me about it. I used to care a little bit about staying appraised in regards to what was happening or being released gaming-wise, but for the longest time now I just haven't. I skipped this last console generation (PS4, XB1, Switch) for lack of any genuine interest and, if it weren't for my PC, I probably would've given up gaming altogether. I bought a VR headset a long time ago, but I still haven't even taken it out of its box. That's how little I give a shit these days.

But, of course, then I'm simply left with nothing. There's nothing else I have to fill the hole, although lately I've been watching random films/TV shows/anime again. I don't care about anything and the internet in a lot ways might as well not even exist. I hadn't lurked or posted anywhere in a little over a year, as a matter of fact. How the hell do you cope with your situation when you've literally got nothing to cope with? That's the question I'm forced to constantly ask myself. In the end, all I can do is endure the nothingness, since I don't have a gun to stick in my mouth yet. In the meantime, I'm forced to simply wait around for death to arrive, while feeling every inch of myself rot in torment the whole while.
I keep buying games but never play them. I think I do it because I miss gaming so much, it's been my main hobby my whole life, but I also know that it's not coming back.

• Hugs
Reactions: Bahbah Blacksheep and Lostandlooking
GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
I will not buy another game. Every time I buy a game I like it for half a day and then it's over and done with. Waste. Of. Money. I have enough games to fast forward time until I die, you only really need one game (Skyrim) for that. I've told myself several times to not but any games since I haven't enjoyed them in several years, but this time I am really serious about not buying them. I'll make a self-rule like Guy sensei and say that if I buy a game I'll donate ten times the amount to SS. My brain is too small to handle crypto and shit so I've effectively made it impossible to buy a game. This is my first self-rule and I don't intend on the first one failing.

• Hugs
Reactions: NightmareTour, Lostandlooking, 262653 and 1 other person

Cluesome
Apr 5, 2018
I haven't finished The Outer Worlds yet, not sure if I ever will. The dialogues are fun, but the gameplay bores the hell out of me. Just as with other games.

I would be interested in melee or hand-to-hand combat VR games, like Blade & Sorcery (likely a fleeting curiosity), or philosophical and well-written games that give something to chew on and are actually useful outside the game, like KotOR 2: TSL.

• Hugs
Reactions: Lostandlooking
Imaginos

Imaginos

Full-time layabout
Apr 7, 2018
I keep buying games but never play them. I think I do it because I miss gaming so much, it's been my main hobby my whole life, but I also know that it's not coming back.

It's been at least 6 years for me now since gaming stopped being particularly stimulating. I've waited and waited and waited for this to get better, but, the fact of the matter is, gaming will never be the way it used to be. I've taken breaks, I've forced myself, I've switched up genres, but nothing really helps. Like you said, it's gone and it's never coming back. If I had something better to do with my time, I'd probably never touch a video game ever again. I'm not one of these people that think gaming is a waste of time, since everything humans do is a waste of time. It's just I've reached a point of diminishing returns for this particular hobby that's essentially insoluble. There are some occasions where gaming can still be somewhat distracting for me, but they're very few and far between. I played the original Deus Ex back in 2017 for the first time and that was probably the first time, in a very long time, where I genuinely found myself enjoying gaming again. There have been a couple other sparse examples since then, but not nearly enough.

More than anything, I just feel trapped in my empty life. Modern media is all I have to cope with, even if I don't find it all that enjoyable, and that's often the case. Without gaming, I'd literally just be staring at the wall and sleeping. I need something to give my existence some sense of continuity. At the end of the day, that's basically gaming. It sucks though how I can still get obsessive and sometimes finish game that aren't fun, simply for the sake of completionism. I've been guilty of that many times and, to this day, still am. I can't help it because my brain's fucked up.

I will not buy another game. Every time I buy a game I like it for half a day and then it's over and done with. Waste. Of. Money. I have enough games to fast forward time until I die, you only really need one game (Skyrim) for that. I've told myself several times to not but any games since I haven't enjoyed them in several years, but this time I am really serious about not buying them. I'll make a self-rule like Guy sensei and say that if I buy a game I'll donate ten times the amount to SS. My brain is too small to handle crypto and shit so I've effectively made it impossible to buy a game. This is my first self-rule and I don't intend on the first one failing.

Yeah, I get what you mean. I played Sekiro for just about a day, not long after it had come out, before I pretty soon got bored with it. Nearly 2 years later and I still haven't picked it up again. In my case, I'm not wasting any money when it comes to this sort of thing, since I just rely on torrents. You could always try to do the same to save yourself from losing out financially, but I assume your problems with gaming more boil down to them not being stimulating anymore, which is pretty much where I'm at as well.

I haven't finished The Outer Worlds yet, not sure if I ever will. The dialogues are fun, but the gameplay bores the hell out of me. Just as with other games.

I would be interested in melee or hand-to-hand combat VR games, like Blade & Sorcery (likely a fleeting curiosity), or philosophical and well-written games that give something to chew on and are actually useful outside the game, like KotOR 2: TSL.

Ah yes, I'd forgotten about The Outer Worlds. I haven't checked it out, but I'd like to. In an ideal scenario where I'm no longer stricken with feelings of anhedonia, there's tons of games I'd still like to play, but, sadly, I just don't see that ever happening. That's why I need to be very selective about what it is I play, but I usually fail in doing so.

For what it's worth, have you ever heard of Disco Elysium? It's a modern CRPG that I've read a lot of great things about. If you're into interesting written dialogue, perhaps you'd like it. As far as I know, there's no combat. It's just roleplaying and conversations with NPCs. After I'm done my playthrough of Planescape: Torment I intend to check it out next, assuming I can muster the energy to do so.

Have you ever played Planescape, by the way? The combat system is D&D based and extremely outdated, but the writing/characters are about as top notch as it gets. It'll certainly give you a lot to chew on philosophically and provide lots of opportunity to ruminate on the various other ideas it throws at you. I know it has for me.

I'd also recommend UnderRail. I played through it late last year and really enjoyed it. It's a CRPG with a heavy influence from the likes of Fallout and Shadowrun. Spent close to 110 hours on it, which is the longest amount of time I've spent on any one game in basically a decade.

• Hugs
Reactions: 262653

Cluesome
Apr 5, 2018
Have you ever played Planescape, by the way? The combat system is D&D based and extremely outdated, but the writing/characters are about as top notch as it gets. It'll certainly give you a lot to chew on philosophically and provide lots of opportunity to ruminate on the various other ideas it throws at you. I know it has for me.
I tried it. Really enjoyed the oldschool RPG combat system like in Baldur's Gate, appreciated the gallows humor, the setting, the characters but somehow didn't manage to make it past the starting location. Maybe I'll give it a shot in the future, we'll see.

I can also relate to anhedonia.

signifying nothing

signifying nothing

-
Sep 13, 2020
I find I get to a point where I have to get rid of/delete my games (also applies to films/books/etc) before I can get into new ones.

Its like the build up of old stuff maxes out your capacity and you have to clear space for new stuff.

• Hugs
Imaginos

Imaginos

Full-time layabout
Apr 7, 2018
but somehow didn't manage to make it past the starting location. Maybe I'll give it a shot in the future, we'll see.

Yeah, that was exactly my experience when I tried it for the first time way back in 2012. I only got as far as the Dead Nations before I lost my interest and dropped it for something else. It sorta worked out for the best in a way since now, with the enhanced edition available, I can play a more optimized and smoother experience of the same game. Even though that's the case and I'm now finally playing through it, that doesn't change how it basically took me almost ten years to finally pick it up again. It can sometimes take a very long time to finally get in the mood for something, as I'm sure you'll agree. As of this moment, I still have never played Morrowind. I've been intending to for years now, but just haven't gotten around to it. Who's to say I ever will considering how slowly I get to stuff, but I still hope I do.

Cluesome
Apr 5, 2018
Yeah, that was exactly my experience when I tried it for the first time way back in 2012. I only got as far as the Dead Nations before I lost my interest and dropped it for something else. It sorta worked out for the best in a way since now, with the enhanced edition available, I can play a more optimized and smoother experience of the same game. Even though that's the case and I'm now finally playing through it, that doesn't change how it basically took me almost ten years to finally pick it up again. It can sometimes take a very long time to finally get in the mood for something, as I'm sure you'll agree. As of this moment, I still have never played Morrowind. I've been intending to for years now, but just haven't gotten around to it. Who's to say I ever will considering how slowly I get to stuff, but I still hope I do.
Oh, Morrowind is a wonderful game. There is a cool modpack for it, named Fullrest Repack, by the magnitude of changes is akin to Ultimate Skyrim for Skyrim. After trying once, I had absolutely no desire to return to vanilla, for better or worse. I played early versions in Russian though, but hopefully they'll introduce the English localization (lol, English localization), if they haven't already.

I like the gameplay, the fact that you can travel almost anywhere, even to the final boss, without doing quests linearly like in most games. The rich spell customization system, levitation, and how dialogues are handled predominantly in text format instead of voicing everything... boy, that would be a chore.

Reactions: DivineMedicus and Imaginos
Imaginos

Imaginos

Full-time layabout
Apr 7, 2018
Oh, Morrowind is a wonderful game. There is a cool modpack for it, named Fullrest Repack, by the magnitude of changes is akin to Ultimate Skyrim for Skyrim. After trying once, I had absolutely no desire to return to vanilla, for better or worse. I played early versions in Russian though, but hopefully they'll introduce the English localization (lol, English localization), if they haven't already.

I like the gameplay, the fact that you can travel almost anywhere, even to the final boss, without doing quests linearly like in most games. The rich spell customization system, levitation, and how dialogues are handled predominantly in text format instead of voicing everything... boy, that would be a chore.

Yeah, all that sounds right up my alley for sure. I really ought to have checked it out by now, but I guess it's just how I know that once I start playing Morrowind, I'll probably be at it for at least 100 hours. That can feel pretty overwhelming so, beyond just anhedonia, that's kind of always kept me away from it. Either way, it's definitely high on the list of games I wish to get to at some point.

• Hugs
Green Destiny

Green Destiny

Life isn't worth the trouble.
Nov 16, 2019
Minecraft. It's rather annoying because i'm kind of tired of playing it but I don't have much else i'm interested in playing besides it. My creativity for building has taken a hit and I can't think of stuff I'd like to build. Gave Rocket League a try but when it comes to Multiplayer games I become infuriated and angry while playing, plus the learning curve for that game is BRUTAL and takes hours and hours just to be mediocre at best. Don't know what I was thinking giving it a try. One game that i'm interested in is Little Nightmares 2, only problem being is that i've never played scary games before so I'd probably have a hard time playing it. Tried No Mans sky but it's a laggy mess for XB1, and Cyberpunk which was a rushed glitched out mess, poor game developers at Projekt Red. I sure has wasted a lot of money on games the last 4 months...

• Hugs
Reactions: lobster salad, DivineMedicus and Lostandlooking
neitherherenorthere

neitherherenorthere

Experienced
Apr 22, 2020
Cyberpunk which was a rushed glitched out mess
That's why I never preorder games anymore XD

Replayed Resident Evil and RE0 over the last week or two and just finished Goetia today. It's a nice point-and-click that has a solid plot and good puzzles. Lots of interesting lore. I've been trying to keep up with Ring Fit a few times a week but that doesn't really count. I'm trying to figure out what to play next.

• Hugs
Reactions: DivineMedicus and Lostandlooking

Cluesome
Apr 5, 2018
Replayed Resident Evil and RE0 over the last week or two and just finished Goetia today. It's a nice point-and-click that has a solid plot and good puzzles. Lots of interesting lore. I've been trying to keep up with Ring Fit a few times a week but that doesn't really count. I'm trying to figure out what to play next.
I enjoyed zombie apocalypse setting but didn't like having limited ammo and breaking melee weapons. I wish it had hand-to-hand combat feature or something.

Reactions: neitherherenorthere, Lostandlooking and DivineMedicus
DivineMedicus

DivineMedicus

Vereor Nox
Sep 7, 2020
I'm currently going through the Mass Effect series for the first time, as I'm a sucker for sci-fi and RPG. Still on ME1 right now but I'm enjoying the journey so far! Otherwise I play CS:GO with friends, because fuck solo-queueing.

• Love
Reactions: Nitup, Skathon and Lostandlooking
Mentalmick

Mentalmick

IMHOTEP!!!
Nov 30, 2020
I'm currently going through the Mass Effect series for the first time, as I'm a sucker for sci-fi and RPG. Still on ME1 right now but I'm enjoying the journey so far! Otherwise I play CS:GO with friends, because fuck solo-queueing.
There's working on remakes of the first 3 me games.

Reactions: Skathon and DivineMedicus
DivineMedicus

DivineMedicus

Vereor Nox
Sep 7, 2020
There's working on remakes of the first 3 me games.
Oh and it is coming quite soon, perhaps before I CTB. It seems to be more of a remaster though, as they're mostly updating graphics, correct? I saw a few changes in the gameplay but they're minor tweaks at most. I cannot say for the other two games, but I hope that in the remastered ME1 they make elevators faster, the Mako missions more interesting, and get rid of that silly glitch where some textures are replaced with black pixels in certain parts of the game (a limitation of AMD CPUs unfortunately)

Mentalmick

Mentalmick

IMHOTEP!!!
Nov 30, 2020
Oh and it is coming quite soon, perhaps before I CTB. It seems to be more of a remaster though, as they're mostly updating graphics, correct? I saw a few changes in the gameplay but they're minor tweaks at most. I cannot say for the other two games, but I hope that in the remastered ME1 they make elevators faster, the Mako missions more interesting, and get rid of that silly glitch where some textures are replaced with black pixels in certain parts of the game (a limitation of AMD CPUs unfortunately)
Yeah, they're remasters. I know they're going to change some camera angles to be less focused on Miranda's bum.

Reactions: DivineMedicus
DivineMedicus

DivineMedicus

Vereor Nox
Sep 7, 2020
Yeah, they're remasters. I know they're going to change some camera angles to be less focused on Miranda's bum.
Don't know who Miranda is haha, haven't gotten there yet.

Gratz on 666 messages btw.

Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
I recently finished Doom Eternal and Cyberpunk 2077. I'm playing Nioh 2 and Night In The Woods atm.

Reactions: Green Destiny
K

kkatt

Paragon
Nov 12, 2018
I'm really not a gamer but love the look of among us from steam. Only problem is I have to find 3 other players which could be a challege

• Hugs
Reactions: Brick In The Wall
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
I'm really not a gamer but love the look of among us from steam. Only problem is I have to find 3 other players which could be a challege
That's a popular game here. I know a few other members that have organized games in the past. I'm sure you could find someone to play it with.

Reactions: kkatt
K

kkatt

Paragon
Nov 12, 2018
I think the only thing I'm physically addicted to is caffeine. I literally get intense migraines anytime I go more than two days without consuming enough caffeine. There was a time when I tried to kick it entirely but that ended up only lasting a few weeks and I had constant headaches everyday most of the time no matter what medicine I took. Nowadays when I get caffeine headaches, I have to drink like some coffee or tea and take a pill to get it to stop.

That's a popular game here. I know a few other members that have organized games in the past. I'm sure you could find someone to play it with.
Might they be as useless as me?

• Hugs
DivineMedicus

DivineMedicus

Vereor Nox
Sep 7, 2020
I recently finished Doom Eternal and Cyberpunk 2077. I'm playing Nioh 2 and Night In The Woods atm.
How's CP2077? I was going to buy on release, but heard that the game is plagued by a myriad of technical issues.

Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
Might they be as useless as me?
Well I'd hate to call anyone useless, even you lol. I suppose you could ask tho? :))

How's CP2077? I was going to buy on release, but heard that the game is plagued by a myriad of technical issues.
The story and art/graphics make the game worth it imo. It still has some technical issues but they've fixed alot of the major ones. I'd recommend the game but only if you can get it at a discount or on the cheap.

DivineMedicus

DivineMedicus

Vereor Nox
Sep 7, 2020
The story and art/graphics make the game worth it imo. It still has some technical issues but they've fixed alot of the major ones. I'd recommend the game but only if you can get it at a discount or on the cheap.
That's wonderful to know. I recently upgraded my PC for this occasion, and to hear that the game had such a devastating release made me quite upset. Here's to hoping the recent patches make up for it.

• Hugs
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
That's wonderful to know. I recently upgraded my PC for this occasion, and to hear that the game had such a devastating release made me quite upset. Here's to hoping the recent patches make up for it.
I think with the PC version it'll be more worth picking up. I've heard alot of bad mods have been circulating with the game though. So you may be cautious with that.

I didn't follow all of the hype with this game as I knew it was just that, hype. If you approach it without heavy expectations I think you'll enjoy it.