MidnightDream

MidnightDream

Warlock
Sep 5, 2022
Eating well and maintaining a good diet is a major thing for me in trying to keep myself feeling okay.

I fucked up my finances, and so I have nothing now until Nov 22nd.

I live alone so one can help, credit cards all maxed, nothing of value to sell except my phone, which may be worth considering at this point.

Uni hardship fund takes 6 weeks to process, can't access benefits, food banks require referral from social services.

I just did a food shop entirely comprised of non perishables. Soup, chickpeas, rice, noodles, etc. Paid for it with Klarna (a UK based buy now pay later service). The bill is due in 30 days and I already know I won't be able to pay it by then, but at least I'll have food for the next few weeks.

Not even sure why I'm posting this here, just need to rant ig. How am I meant to even think about looking after myself if I can't even afford to eat.

• Hugs
Reactions: DarkNearDeath, StolenLife, TheDoomedDoomer and 6 others
hopelessgirl

hopelessgirl

Happy Unbirthday
Oct 12, 2021
Eating well and maintaining a good diet is a major thing for me in trying to keep myself feeling okay.

I live alone so one can help, credit cards all maxed, nothing of value to sell except my phone, which may be worth considering at this point.

Uni hardship fund takes 6 weeks to process, can't access benefits, food banks require referral from social services.

I just did a food shop entirely comprised of non perishables. Soup, chickpeas, rice, noodles, etc. Paid for it with Klarna (a UK based buy now pay later service). The bill is due in 30 days and I already know I won't be able to pay it by then, but at least I'll have food for the next few weeks.

Not even sure why I'm posting this here, just need to rant ig. How am I meant to even think about looking after myself if I can't even afford to eat.
You need to ask for help somehow <3

• Love
Reactions: Suicidebydeath
S

Someone123

Illuminated
Oct 19, 2021
Are there friends or family who can help?

MidnightDream

MidnightDream

Warlock
Sep 5, 2022
You need to ask for help somehow <3
I don't even know who I could ask. I owe my dad money, my mum is skint herself, my husband is already covering my rent, and I wouldn't want to burden my friends particularly when I don't think I could pay it back any time soon. :(
Are there friends or family who can help?
No :( unfortunately not

S

Someone123

Illuminated
Oct 19, 2021
I don't even know who I could ask. I owe my dad money, my mum is skint herself, my husband is already covering my rent, and I wouldn't want to burden my friends particularly when I don't think I could pay it back any time soon. :(

No :( unfortunately not
So are you and your husband not living together? Because if paying two rents maybe you could go back to one- just trying to understand. WOuld any friends maybe be willing to just give you some money so you don't go without food? Can you work at all? Just trying to understand, to explore options.

MidnightDream

MidnightDream

Warlock
Sep 5, 2022
So are you and your husband not living together? Because if paying two rents maybe you could go back to one- just trying to understand. WOuld any friends maybe be willing to just give you some money so you don't go without food? Can you work at all? Just trying to understand, to explore options.
We're living apart right now. I had to move closer to my university before my degree started and he had to stay where we were living before in order to finish a work contract. He isn't currently paying rent on his place cause it's paid for by his job, so he's been helping pay mine, but that doesn't leave him with loads (lower salary than average because accom & other things are paid for by his job). If that makes sense?

I can't work because my degree is very intensive, the timetable changes weekly, and we have to do voluntary placements alongside it anyway. So even if I wanted to I wouldn't have the time to work.

I do have friends that would probably offer to help, but I don't want to burden them and I also wouldn't know when I could pay it back, so I wouldn't want to do that to my friends, none of whom are very well off themselves. We're all pretty young. It's rough

• Hugs
Reactions: makethepainstop and rainbowbright
rainbowbright

rainbowbright

Oct 1, 2022
There really should be more help for those who attending uni 😞

hopelessgirl

hopelessgirl

Happy Unbirthday
Oct 12, 2021
How can you make that money stretch till the 22 second of october? Is there any way to make a livable food budget with that money for that time and other expenses?

• Love
Reactions: Suicidebydeath
lifeisadream

lifeisadream

One of life’s failures
Oct 3, 2022
I'm figuring the answer is no but, does the uni have any form of emergency fund? It's shocking that there's a 6 week wait to access their hardship fund. Students need immediate help not in almost two months time. The uni doesn't seem to realise the significance impact waiting for financial help has on the welfare of their students. I'm so sorry the UK education system is failing you so badly & that there's no other source of help such as food banks or benefits. Really feel for you especially because you're struggling so much while doing an intensive uni course. Our government is so out of touch with reality!

Last edited:
Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
Does your husband know the seriousness of your situation?

The best thing is to not live alone. Have you got room to accommodate another student?

freedompass

freedompass

Warlock
Jan 27, 2021
If you're a girl there's basically no reason to fear economy problems
Reported

I didn't know food banks require a referral from social services. They never used to. I would look into that further as I see no reason why you would not qualify. There may be soup kitchens run by local churches. I have seen people in economic distress posting on a neighbourhood site called NextDoor. You could appeal for food donations from people in your area. Obviously be careful with that but there's a lot of genuine goodwill and generosity out there and these days you aren't looked down on for hitting hard times, you know? Many people have way more than they need and genuinely want to help.

Also you definitely should not face actual starvation with the amount of perfectly good food that is discarded by supermarkets and restaurants every day. I wonder if there is a way to access that.

I wouldn't recommend selling your phone. That is your means to access all that you need.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: noaccount and makethepainstop
ð–£´ nadia ð–£´

ð–£´ nadia ð–£´

...member...
Dec 15, 2021
Did you receive your student finance/a maintenance loan in September? A third of the yearly total should have been given to you within the first or second week of beginning university and, if you're from a low income background or living independently, they should have sent the maximum amount. From what you've said it sounds like your only options are to ask your friends for help and then pay them back as soon as you get the next installment in November, or rent out a room to another student but that might take a while.

I've looked up some options for the meantime, there are apps like Too Good To Go and Karma which let you buy the food that would've been thrown away by restaurants, cafés, supermarkets and shops, at a reduced price. There's also an app called Olio where people give away unwanted food or other household items to their neighbours for free by arranging a public/safe pick-up location.

Last edited:
Reactions: makethepainstop
makethepainstop

makethepainstop

Visionary
Sep 16, 2022
It a shame on the modern world "civilizations" that people go hungry, homeless, or without medical care.

S

Someone123

Illuminated
Oct 19, 2021
How's that then?
This person is suggesting prostitution, it appears- but that brings with it many other problems- risks of violence, jail, and diseases, plus the risk of being pulled into human trafficking and being controlled/abused/enslaved by a pimp.

• Wow
Reactions: rainbowbright
DarkNearDeath

DarkNearDeath

Student
May 1, 2021
i think your university could loan you money if you told them your situation