• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Fimbulvetr

Fimbulvetr

Nov 7, 2023
Note: I'm not sure if this belongs here, it may instead belong in recovery...? I mean... I'm not sure if this would be considered recovery, either, given my rambling at the end, though... If mods want to move it, that's fine. I'm not sure, sorry. :ahhha:
// Disclaimer over //

From a young age, I was sexually abused, and it caused me to feel that my only use was ...to be used to make children, and be disposed of. I thought after giving my abuser children, I could freely CTB and move on. While I did manage to escape that situation, I still often fantasize about CTBing, of course. However, I also found SCaR at the time of these events; it was also known as "Self Care After Rape". I read the following article after I escaped my abuser, but it still resonated with me. I hope it resonates with you all, too.

"i.

Somewhere, far from here,

there is a group of people

who drill holes

in their skulls

so that they can

talk to God.

ii.

When we yawn,

we force tiny bits of oxygen

into our blood,

and then to our brains

this allows us to stay awake

for split seconds longer.

Who knows what it could do

when applied directly to the brain?

iii.

With enough air pressure,

the trumpet can hit a note so loud

that it can splatter brain matter

against skull walls.

iv.

When she asked me what I was thinking about,

I yawned and said nothing.

v.

I think about putting a hole through my head

the way most people think about dinner plans-

off and on through out the day,

every day.

I guess you could say

that it's just my way of praying."

Suicidal ideation is one of those topics that is hard to talk about. That's a poem I wrote about a year and a half ago. The first time I was marked down as having suicidal thoughts? The sixth grade. I wrote a poem about death following me at every corner when I was in the fourth. But I didn't have the word suicidal just yet. and I wouldn't have suicidal ideation for many years to come.

We called it passively suicidal.

"I wouldn't kill myself but if a gun man told me to get on my knees or he'd shoot me? I would not kneel."

"I wouldn't kill myself.. but if there was a pill that I could take and never have existed.. I'd do it."

"I don't want to die but sometimes I wish I'd never been born."

Or.. as Neil Hilborn said, "I think a lot about killing myself. Not like a point on a map but rather like a glowing exit sign on a show that's never been quite bad enough to make me want to leave."

I called it Russian Roulette. because while most people with suicidal ideation will never actually kill themselves, they will do ridiculous things because they just don't /care/.

Or not take their medicine. or go to doctors. or reach out for help because suicidal ideation is like wearing your favorite sweater during the summertime.

Comforting in an odd way but heavy and suffocating and people look at you like it's your choice to be that way.

It was 12 years old sitting in a therapists office and hearing, 'you romanticize death too much for someone who doesn't believe in an afterlife' and not knowing what to say but, 'all I want to be is nothing.'

It was being 14 and sitting in an intake office, wanting desperately not to be admitted but being unable to say 'okay' to 'Promise you won't hurt yourself. no matter what'. No matter what was a silly ultimative that no one can actually promise. It was 18, the college psychologist pushing to have me pulled- it was mandatory 5 day a week outpatient because I wouldn't say 'No matter what, I won't kill myself.' It was every teacher in between reporting me to counselors for comments like, 'I can't take the test right now because I'm thinking about drinking bleach.' and drawing pictures of stick figures jumping off buildings on the back of calculus tests.

It was also walking around town at 4 am by myself because I no longer cared about the consequences. It was the second OD- swallowing handfuls of pills because they were either going to make me better or they were going to kill me and while I wanted to be better- I didn't mind the second.

It was hyperventilating because a teacher made me do an assignment that involved planning the next five years of my life. I turned in a piece of paper that said 'I won't live that long. I can't live that long. Please don't make me.'

But it was also my therapist at 19 telling me it was okay to plan my death if it kept me living. Suicide plans were escape routes, I panicked without them. With them? I could survive anything. Because I knew if I had to- I could control the end.

There is a kind of irony in that.

Suicidal ideation… is so many things.

We should take our friends seriously when they make off hand jokes about death.

We should take our friends seriously when they talk about wanting to die, or when they romanticize death.

We should take them seriously.

In cliche story time, the first time I ever said 'I don't want to die' was in the middle of spasming from an OD. I clung to a girl's shirt and kept mumbling that I didn't want to go. She cried because I had spent the past year of our friendship telling her that suicide was an inevitability for people like me. I once made her promise that if she found me half dead- to just close the door and let me go with 'dignity'.

It took me months to walk down the side of the road and not think about falling in front of the cars. Sometimes I still think about trumpets splattering brain tissue against my skull. The other day at work I was sorting papers and thinking about bridges. I'm not suicidal. But I've got years of practice romanticizing an end.

The synaptic patterns are there, it is a framework that runs strong. I'm not alone there. My best friend once said the only reason she hadn't killed herself is that she doesn't want to die fat. Later on it was how she wanted to die in New York. Sometimes the only thing that keeps her actively here is the next concert she is going to go to.

Supporting friends with suicidal ideation is hard, I know. But believe me, we know that too. Most of us expect everyone to leave anyway. Or think we'd be doing a favor to our friends if we left.

Making us feel guilty is not the answer.

Support. Reaffirm worth. Be gentle. Be understanding. Extend invitations. Go to them with your problems too. It can get real isolating real fast when people act like those with suicidal ideation can't support others. It hurts both you and them.

For those battling with suicidal ideation….

I used to think about death like dinner menus. And sometimes intrusive thoughts still strike me but not so often anymore.

Ending suicidal ideation has to be a choice. It is rarely a thing that happens on its own. But it takes effort and I understand not everyone is able to. Not everyone is in a safe place too.

Ending suicidal ideation is about understanding what you think suicide offers you. It's about making the future seem less frightening and giving yourself things worth fighting for again. It's about understanding your worth and your impact- that you can make a positive difference in with you friends/families/communities- that they are not better without you.

It is taking a deep breath every time you catch yourself thinking those thoughts and shaking your head and saying 'No. I'm not going to think like that anymore'.

It is distracting yourself if you have to.

It is being kind to yourself.

It is reminding yourself when good things happen, 'this, this is why I want to be alive.'

It is finding the beauty in things again, but mostly, in yourself again.

It is an uphill battle and this post- was probably the second hardest one I've written but it needed to be said.

Suicidal ideation is hard…

but you… you can do this.

We can do this.

together.

Certain aspects of this especially hit me hard.
I won't live that long. I can't live that long. Please don't make me.
I remember thinking similar whenever people asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up...

And this is something I still feel strongly, to this day.
Suicide plans were escape routes, I panicked without them. With them? I could survive anything. Because I knew if I had to- I could control the end.
I think, an aspect of this, is that for me... My first brush with death was almost immediately after I was raped. I was sexaully assaulted by my ex (who I was dating at the time)'s best friend. He was fucking PISSED. He tried to kill me. Tried to slit my wrists, but a kid shoved him off. I survived... But a part of me wished I didn't. And another part of me was terrified that something like that could happen again. My brain decided "if I'm going to be murdered, it'll be by my own hands, not some disgusting creep.". I felt it was much better to have the option to choose a much safer, less terrifying end, than be put through that again.

...I don't really know where I'm going with this, sorry.