• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
First, I should point out that I understand that the limit of 1,000 words per post is there for a reason. However, I'd like to submit a text I've written which is over 3,000 words long and which I think could be a help for quite a few members of the forum and guests as well. So, I thought that I could divide the text into sections and submit them in consecutive posts, but that doesn't seem to work. Is there some other way I can work myself around this problem?

Like everyone else here, I'm thankful that this forum exists and that you put time and effort into administrating it. So, I hope this doesn't pose a nuisance for you and I fully understand if you give it low priority.

Absurdity

Absurdity

Nov 22, 2019
The admins/mods won't change the limit, I've rarely seen them answer in these feedback threads at all.

So I can only come up with one (two?) options at the moment:
1. You don't post the essay here directly, instead you attach a PDF of it. Or you post it on something like pastebin and post the link here.

(2. You could try to wait a few minutes between posting the parts. I think the problem might be that the forum software - to prevent spam - automatically combines posts from the same author if noone else has responded in between or not enough time has passed since the last post. How much time? No idea..)

Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
The admins/mods won't change the limit, I've rarely seen them answer in these feedback threads at all.

So I can only come up with one (two?) options at the moment:
1. You don't post the essay here directly, instead you attach a PDF of it. Or you post it on something like pastebin and post the link here.

(2. You could try to wait a few minutes between posting the parts. I think the problem might be that the forum software - to prevent spam - automatically combines posts from the same author if noone else has responded in between or not enough time has passed since the last post. How much time? No idea..)

The first one is an interesting option. The second one doesn't seem to work unfortunately. Thanks for the advice.

Reactions: Absurdity
O

oopswronglife

Elementalist
Jun 27, 2019
I think 0bin.net (encrypted pastebin alternative) works well for this kind of thing. You can even password protect and set an expiration if you like.

Reactions: Sensei and Ame
J

jgm63

Visionary
Oct 28, 2019
You can make a post, then write : "<continued, next post in 2 hours>" at the end.
Then wait for 2 hours, and make the next post....

Or if someone else posts on that thread in the meantime then you won't need to wait....
(you could ask a friend to just post a "." for you)

( disclaimer : I believe the above to be correct, but haven't tested it thoroughly )

J

jgm63

Visionary
Oct 28, 2019
b.t.w. I don't know what the limit is, but I don't think it is specifically 1000 words.
My bitcoin guide has more words than that, and I posted it no problem....

Reactions: Sensei
Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
b.t.w. I don't know what the limit is, but I don't think it is specifically 1000 words.
My bitcoin guide has more words than that, and I posted it no problem....

Oh? I saw another poster stating that it's 1,000 word, but that might actually be wrong, then. Thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: a.n.kirillov
J

jgm63

Visionary
Oct 28, 2019
I just did a test post of around 11,000 characters (edited now).
Seemed to work ok.
Don't know whether it might depend on your "grade".

Last edited:
Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
You're right! I tried and the limit is 20,000 characters, which is around 3,000 words, given that blank spaces don't count. (Is "blank space" the right word? I'm not a native speaker of English.)

Reactions: jgm63
Absurdity

Absurdity

Nov 22, 2019
Oh wow, 20.000 characters is something..

Then why didn't it work the first time? Because you were just over that limit?

And yea, someone else posting in between and thus allowing a new post would also work.

Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
Then why didn't it work the first time? Because you were just over that limit?

Yes, I was over the limit, almost 2,000 characters. I think I can shorten it so that it's below the limit, though.

D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
I'd prefer to read a PDF as a discreet document rather than reading text on here in several posts, especially because I could then save that document for later.

J

jgm63

Visionary
Oct 28, 2019
I'd prefer to read a PDF as a discreet document rather than reading text on here in several posts, especially because I could then save that document for later.
Although posting directly here may be better from a "search" perspective, although I suppose you can partly solve that by using lots of keywords in the title and/or perhaps listing some keywords in the post itself before putting the link....

E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
Make a post.
Then I write "part 2".
Then you make another post.
Then I write "part 3"
And so on...
We can do this all day, my dear!
Just let me know when.

Absurdity

Absurdity

Nov 22, 2019
I PM-ed @Marquis since this concerns me a bit as an attack vector....
Just my view of course.....
I wonder, what would happen if multiple malicious users would send extremely long posts at the same time? Would the server crash?

Also now I feel bad about saying that staff rarely answers these threads - I apologize!

J

jgm63

Visionary
Oct 28, 2019
I wonder, what would happen if multiple malicious users would send extremely long posts at the same time? Would the server crash?

Also now I feel bad about saying that staff rarely answers these threads - I apologize!
Multiple people (or one person) repeatedly posting very large posts would gradually erode server space and yes, I would expect the server to eventually crash....

(However it's possible that there are other safeguards in place that I'm not aware of)

D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
Ummm... if that is the case, maybe we should actually remove these replies due to... well... you know...:nomouth:

J

jgm63

Visionary
Oct 28, 2019
Ummm... if that is the case, maybe we should actually remove these replies due to... well... you know...:nomouth:
I shouldn't worry excessively.
We can wait for @Marquis to give his view on the matter.
If we don't hear back after a while then perhaps another mod can put the limit back until a concensus is reached, or something like that...