• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

PursuitofWonder

PursuitofWonder

Student
Dec 12, 2020
My mind can not stop compulsively thinking that there's something out there that will fix things in my life instantly. Like hey ketamine can help people so there's gotta be something else. Idk I guess I'm just desperate to be better but thinking about suicide and how instant it is constantly for years fucked up my ability to want anything that isn't instant. It's becoming a constant torment.

T

timf

Enlightened
Mar 26, 2020
You may have put your finger on an important element with "instantly". Normal human development sees the desire for instant gratification with children and diminish with age. However, the prosperous and consumer world we live in tends to continue this desire through advertising and other methods.

One element that helps accept delayed gratification is a busy schedule. If one has many irons in the fire, there is less emphasis on any one in particular. If one considers dealing with difficulties through experimentation, attempting many experiments at the same time can reduce the hope one is inclined to place in just one. This can lessen the disappointment if a particular experiment fails.

Reactions: GenesAndEnvironment