• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

F

Freetodie

Aug 22, 2019
I got a therapist through a government program. It took a long time to get accepted and be assigned a therapist. I really thought having someone to talk to would help tremendously with what I'm going through. The first few sessions were okay, but I felt like I was always being rushed, they never asked me much and just gave me antidepressants. Every week it would just be a follow up to the medication and nothing else. They'd ask how the meds are and if they weren't doing anything they'd put me on another one. Pretty much all that happened. During my last visit with my therapist I opened up about being more suicidal because of the medication I was on (Wellbutrin). I thought they'd be more caring about my issue but I guess not. They just prescribed me another new medication. Said to come back in a week later to see how those were working...

But here is where things just got annoying for me. I couldn't make the next session so I called in to reschedule. The receptionist picked up and transferred my call. My therapist didn't pick up, so I left a message. A week went by and I didn't hear from them so I called back. Usually, the receptionist would always pick up but now it's always an automated message saying they don't answer direct calls and to leave a message. I did twice and still no response. It's been a month, and it's been frustrating.

What else is that the last time I saw them I told them about how I was contemplating suicide. But they didn't care to check up on me.

Anyone else got similar stories?

Empty Smile

Empty Smile

The final Bell has rung. Goodbye to all.
Jul 13, 2018
They don't care. It's give you drugs, send you on your way, collect money. Money is what they care about.

Last therapist I had told me there was nothing more she could do for me, and I haven't heard from her since. No referral to another therapist, nothing.

I'm beginning to think after listening to me, she needed therapy herself.

k75

k75

L'appel du Vide
Jun 27, 2019
The quality of care varies so much. I've seen a lot of therapists. A couple were pretty good, most were similar to what you described.mmy current knows about my suicidal urges, and she let me miss 4 weeks of appointments before checking to see if I wanted to reschedule and another two weeks went by before she actually made the appointment. And then she seemed surprised when I wasn't doing great.

I've thought about it a lot, and my conclusion is that general therapists in community clinics and things like that just aren't usually as invested or really qualified to work with people who have major, chronic problems. Also, they tend to be paid less and have more clients, so there's a lot of unhappiness on their end as well. The clinic I go to now has a very high rate of therapist turnover. If I do end up with someone I can work with, there's a great chance they'll end up leaving anyway.

I'm trying to find a new therapist now. Hoping for one in a more private practice, with a specialization in the specific issues I'm dealing with. I'm skeptical, but I'm really hoping for better results.

• Hugs
Reactions: Beautifulletdown
sleepy dog

sleepy dog

Wizard
Sep 13, 2019
I got a therapist through a government program. It took a long time to get accepted and be assigned a therapist. I really thought having someone to talk to would help tremendously with what I'm going through. The first few sessions were okay, but I felt like I was always being rushed, they never asked me much and just gave me antidepressants. Every week it would just be a follow up to the medication and nothing else. They'd ask how the meds are and if they weren't doing anything they'd put me on another one. Pretty much all that happened. During my last visit with my therapist I opened up about being more suicidal because of the medication I was on (Wellbutrin). I thought they'd be more caring about my issue but I guess not. They just prescribed me another new medication. Said to come back in a week later to see how those were working...

But here is where things just got annoying for me. I couldn't make the next session so I called in to reschedule. The receptionist picked up and transferred my call. My therapist didn't pick up, so I left a message. A week went by and I didn't hear from them so I called back. Usually, the receptionist would always pick up but now it's always an automated message saying they don't answer direct calls and to leave a message. I did twice and still no response. It's been a month, and it's been frustrating.

What else is that the last time I saw them I told them about how I was contemplating suicide. But they didn't care to check up on me.

Anyone else got similar stories?

Let me guess, you live in the USA?

E

EmptySteph62

Student
Aug 4, 2019
It took me years to find a psychiatrist that I didn't have this problem with and in the end she discharged me because she felt "stuck" and left me on my own even after I told her I was contemplating and planning suicide. I'm sorry you're going through this my friend, its sucks and it hurts.

• Hugs
Reactions: Beautifulletdown