N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I think I once make the mistake to post something like I wished I had cancer. When I thought more about it and got feedback I regretted the post quickly. I am not the only one who wrote such a naive statement. One could call it an ignorant one but not always are there evil intentions. The reason for it is often rather imprudence and the following:

At least for me the wish for cancer had particular reasons. Personally I really hate having to kill myself in order to quit this life earlier. I ruminate so much about the pro and contra, what could go wrong, think about statistics and all this ruminating is a severe agony. There is the naive hope someone or something would decide the question for me so that I can stop ruminating. This is why the very naive wish for a deadly diseases came from.

However there are so many things to consider. Most forms of cancer and its therapy is extremely painful. The suffering lasts long and most people would regret this wish pretty early. Moreover one has to consider the people who have cancer who have to endure that other people envy their condition which is kind of cyncial.

Overall I can say I have learned my lesson. I still wish something could kill me. But most of such possible accidents or illnesses are usuallly not very pleasant and involve extreme pain. Be careful what you wish for.

• Hugs
  • Informative
Reactions: Ultracheese, Endex and Sulyya
WeighAnchor

WeighAnchor

Mar 1, 2023
I've had thoughts like that too, not specifically about cancer but just any terminal illness. I arrived at pretty much the same conclusion.

If I'm going to die, I want it to be a definitive death. I don't want something drawn out where I'm steadily losing my quality of life little by little until I finally die. While I'm alive, I want to try to have as good of a life as I can manage.

Reactions: Endex
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I don't really think that it's insensitive wishing for this at all. The fact is that everyone is in different situations after all, suicide is much more difficult for some people because of their circumstances. So many suicidal people have limited access to reliable methods so as a result they feel trapped here, so I think that people are fortunate to know that the end is in sight even if they suffer now from an terminal illness.

I also think that for many people, they would rather die from something else than suicide to make it easier for those left behind, and with cancer they can tell others that they are going to die, there is no secrecy and planning methods involved like there is with suicide. So there are many reasons why someone would wish for this, I just think that some people want the knowledge that it's all coming to an end, and all they have to do is wait to be gone. If people are horrified at the thought of a terminal illness then that is their view, but they should respect the fact that everyone is in different situations. I would ideally like to just pass away peacefully but unfortunately that's not the reality in this world.

Reactions: mao, MentalAgony69, demuic and 1 other person
UseItOrLoseIt

UseItOrLoseIt

1O'8
Dec 4, 2020
I have thoughts of terminal illness all the time. If I had cancer I would refuse treatment, there's no doubt in my mind.

Reactions: MentalAgony69