• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

meaningisgone

meaningisgone

Student
Feb 17, 2019
My last cripplingly deep depression, which lasted about a whole year, I fantasized about ending my life nearly every day.

These are the train tracks near my house.

I planned to wait for a train and then quickly put my neck on the track in front of the frontmost wheel.

I fantasized about it hundreds upon hundreds of times.

One night I sat near the tracks and waited for a train that did not end up passing by that night.

It's very difficult to be authentic in our society without getting depressed. Society is not designed to promote authenticity. We're often rejected, abandoned, and belittled for being real.

I decided fairly early in life that being real was more important to me than being happy. I set out to find away to be myself and change the world so that we can all be ourselves without paying a terrible price.

It has taken me so long, it feels, to reach a point where I've nearly mastered being authentic without causing too much damage in my life that depression becomes the inevitable result. It's all about balance, pacing, expressing myself non-defensively and non-judgmentally, knowing and defending my boundaries, and learning and respecting the boundaries of others.

Depression isn't very mysterious to me. It's a natural consequence of sacrificing important parts of yourself to society's superficial and soulless mechanism. We kill precious parts of ourselves and so often sacrifice our dreams out of sense of obligation that we cannot even defend or explain because it is indefensible and inexplicable.

No wonder so many of us think about dying.

I've reached a point in my journey where idle introspection is out of style. The time for real action is in vogue. That's one of the many reasons I'm getting involved in turning the political system on its head. To make a world where no one has to fantasize about putting their head under a damn train again.

Anyway, today, I proudly walked down those tracks near my house. A sort of victory march. I've gotten better after the darkest period of my life, when I felt 100% certain it was the end. I'm lucky to be alive, and my heart is with everyone who has already left or will still choose to go. I understand that and I will never judge it. But if even a single tiny part of you wants to get better, I believe it can be possible for you. My logic is simply that I can't think of a single good reason it would be possible for me but not someone else.

Love you all. Honestly, I do.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Isisnefert, Coffeebean77, Higgy123 and 36 others
lululoo

lululoo

Mage
Dec 15, 2018
Thanks for sharing. Glad you found a way out.

Are you sure you want your pic on here? It's risky.

Reactions: Faraway1990, betterdayz, Dead Meat and 4 others
meaningisgone

meaningisgone

Student
Feb 17, 2019
I'm OK with it. Thank you for your concern. And thanks for being glad for me. This forum was truly a turning point for me. I came here to research killing myself, and ended up realizing how powerful it is to be able to open up about these things to people who truly understand. I don't think I would have made it without Sanctioned Suicide.

• Hugs
Reactions: Sick of it all, Isisnefert, AtomicNewt and 8 others
Superfluous

Superfluous

Mar 16, 2019
I do enjoy reading a positive story. Thanks for sharing and I wish you all the best for the future.

Reactions: AtomicNewt, Faraway1990, whyidon'tknow and 2 others
S

spanishguy22

Enlightened
Apr 9, 2019
What fueled your recovery? Glad for you dude.

Reactions: Strumgewehr and meaningisgone
W

Walilamdzi

Mar 21, 2019
The photo you took of the tracks is really cool, I'm glad you feel better.

Reactions: meaningisgone
meaningisgone

meaningisgone

Student
Feb 17, 2019
Thank you for the kind words, everyone.

What fueled your recovery? Glad for you dude.

There were a few small turning points that worked together over time to bring me back to sanity.

There was a partial hospitalization program that I went into twice last year. Basically, it was group therapy for six hours a day Monday-Friday. The content of the program itself didn't help very much, or at least as much as just the fact that it forced me to be around people for six hours a day. At that point I was in near complete solitude and had too much anxiety to even try to connect with friends. So having a framework that forced me to be around people, and especially people who had problems at least comparable to my own, was a small step in the right direction.

Another turning point, maybe a slightly larger one, was discovering Sanctioned Suicide. Initially I came here because I wanted to research methods to maximize my chances of successfully killing myself. But I started to connect with people on here. I loved that I could talk openly about my "dark" thoughts. The pro-choice mentality to suicide is genius, because part of the isolation I've gone through is because I couldn't express myself about my suicidal thoughts to my family without them arguing with how I feel, "freaking out" or otherwise just not accepting how I was at all. Pretty much demanding me to be a way I didn't know how to be, and threatening to have me institutionalized (being institutionalized and overly medicated has been part of the problem that led me to such a brutal depression to begin with). Some of the friendships I formed here on SS gave me a little thread of hope to hold onto.

I want to be careful with this last turning point, as to not give bad advice. But there was also some unconventional self-medication involved. There can be a very thin line between effective self-medication and full blown addiction, and through my twenties (I am 38 now) I suffered from addiction extensively. Self-medication can be playing with fire, but I also believe sometimes it is necessary for some people. After all, I've tried probably a dozen antidepressants (none of them worked at all for me) and have dealt so many times with incompetent (at least in terms of helping me break through) medical professionals and psychiatrists. I've had to get a little creative and assertive and invent my own way out of hell.

With a little boost from "self-medication" in March, I started showering more, eating better (more well-balanced), and forced myself to go for walks (I'd gotten so overweight and out of shape that even going around the block hurt me rather dramatically the first few times). Now I've got momentum built in all those areas, which gave me the clarity, energy, and motivation to return to pursuing some of my life goals and dreams that I had given up on in my depression. My goals give me purpose and excitement, and making a little progress each day motivates me to keep up the good eating and exercise so that I don't slip up and lose my focus again.

Also: self-care is HUGE. One of my favorite things in the world = hot epsom salt baths. Those can really turn a bad day around for me. I also carry around an mp3 player and put on headphones and listen to some uplifting music if I start to feel anxious in public or even at home. It's a safety net that works well for me.

One other thing that's helped, is to alternate between hot and cold in the shower. It has a powerful effect on the nervous system and can clear mental fog instantly. And then there's meditation, yoga, walks in nature, etc.

I know it isn't easy. Damn, I know it isn't easy. Some of this may be impossible to apply at first. If I read the post I am writing now last year, I wouldn't have been able to apply it much, and definitely not all at once. Recovery is a process. Starting small is essential in most cases. Just try to improve 1% every day. It adds up over time in a big way.

This post is a bit longer than I thought it would be. There are just so many factors to this. I want to end by emphasizing the importance of finding a way to be grateful, even when life is a shit-show. Gratitude is a key to great things. So is humility, and being of service to others.

Lots of love to you.

Reactions: Isisnefert, Boonks, Scribble Fan and 9 others
N

NCBEYOND

Apr 13, 2019
Nice to see this positive story but think those who find peace in another form can also be positive. Glad things have worked out for you.

Reactions: AtomicNewt, Alec and meaningisgone
meaningisgone

meaningisgone

Student
Feb 17, 2019
Nice to see this positive story but think those who find peace in another form can also be positive. Glad things have worked out for you.

I absolutely agree that those who find peace in another form can also be positive. Thank you for the kind words.

Reactions: AtomicNewt and Alec
L

lost_soul83

Wizard
Jan 7, 2019
My last cripplingly deep depression, which lasted about a whole year, I fantasized about ending my life nearly every day.

These are the train tracks near my house.

View attachment 10593

I planned to wait for a train and then quickly put my neck on the track in front of the frontmost wheel.

I fantasized about it hundreds upon hundreds of times.

One night I sat near the tracks and waited for a train that did not end up passing by that night.

It's very difficult to be authentic in our society without getting depressed. Society is not designed to promote authenticity. We're often rejected, abandoned, and belittled for being real.

I decided fairly early in life that being real was more important to me than being happy. I set out to find away to be myself and change the world so that we can all be ourselves without paying a terrible price.

It has taken me so long, it feels, to reach a point where I've nearly mastered being authentic without causing too much damage in my life that depression becomes the inevitable result. It's all about balance, pacing, expressing myself non-defensively and non-judgmentally, knowing and defending my boundaries, and learning and respecting the boundaries of others.

Depression isn't very mysterious to me. It's a natural consequence of sacrificing important parts of yourself to society's superficial and soulless mechanism. We kill precious parts of ourselves and so often sacrifice our dreams out of sense of obligation that we cannot even defend or explain because it is indefensible and inexplicable.

No wonder so many of us think about dying.

I've reached a point in my journey where idle introspection is out of style. The time for real action is in vogue. That's one of the many reasons I'm getting involved in turning the political system on its head. To make a world where no one has to fantasize about putting their head under a damn train again.

Anyway, today, I proudly walked down those tracks near my house. A sort of victory march. I've gotten better after the darkest period of my life, when I felt 100% certain it was the end. I'm lucky to be alive, and my heart is with everyone who has already left or will still choose to go. I understand that and I will never judge it. But if even a single tiny part of you wants to get better, I believe it can be possible for you. My logic is simply that I can't think of a single good reason it would be possible for me but not someone else.

Love you all. Honestly, I do.

View attachment 10595
Thank you so much for sharing this. You have no idea how much I needed to hear all of that after the morning I've had and after the last few horrible decades of my life. I hate pretending to be something I'm not but right now I'm in a situation where I don't have a choice, and it is SOOOO hard for me to slap on a smile and pretend everything is alright when I'm mad as hell and there's not a god-damned thing I can do about it!

I'm so happy you found the peace in life you were looking for. I wish you nothing but continued success and happiness.

• Hugs
Reactions: Alec, memento_mori, meaningisgone and 1 other person
meaningisgone

meaningisgone

Student
Feb 17, 2019
Thank you so much for sharing this. You have no idea how much I needed to hear all of that after the morning I've had and after the last few horrible decades of my life. I hate pretending to be something I'm not but right now I'm in a situation where I don't have a choice, and it is SOOOO hard for me to slap on a smile and pretend everything is alright when I'm mad as hell and there's not a god-damned thing I can do about it!

I'm so happy you found the peace in life you were looking for. I wish you nothing but continued success and happiness.

Fake smiling is pretty much impossible for me. I don't know how people do it. I am sorry your situation forces you to be something you're not. If I may ask, why is that? Is it because of family obligations? Work? Something else? Anyway, I am so glad this post made a positive difference for you. I was hoping it might have that effect on someone. Thanks a lot for letting me know.

L

lost_soul83

Wizard
Jan 7, 2019
Fake smiling is pretty much impossible for me. I don't know how people do it. I am sorry your situation forces you to be something you're not. If I may ask, why is that? Is it because of family obligations? Work? Something else? Anyway, I am so glad this post made a positive difference for you. I was hoping it might have that effect on someone. Thanks a lot for letting me know.
My situation is complicated unfortunately, but I will tell you that it simply reinforces my notion that no matter how hard you work, how honest you are, how kind you are to people, there are always going to be people out there trying to keep you in line, when they're telling you they're "only trying to help." I have absolutely zero control over anything that is happening in almost every aspect of my life and no matter what I do or who I am, I never seem to catch a break. And I'm tired of fighting these battles every single day and not winning a single one of them.

Reactions: Alec and Broken Chimera
meaningisgone

meaningisgone

Student
Feb 17, 2019
My situation is complicated unfortunately, but I will tell you that it simply reinforces my notion that no matter how hard you work, how honest you are, how kind you are to people, there are always going to be people out there trying to keep you in line, when they're telling you they're "only trying to help." I have absolutely zero control over anything that is happening in almost every aspect of my life and no matter what I do or who I am, I never seem to catch a break. And I'm tired of fighting these battles every single day and not winning a single one of them.

So are you wanting/needing to engage in a behavior or make lifestyle choices that are not supported by the people "trying to help"? Is that part of the problem or no?

L

lost_soul83

Wizard
Jan 7, 2019
So are you wanting/needing to engage in a behavior or make lifestyle choices that are not supported by the people "trying to help"? Is that part of the problem or no?
Basically, the people that are supposedly trying to help me are also telling me it's their way or no way, even though I've complied with every request they've made of me. So I'm stuck in a position where the only way I'll benefit from their "help" is if I pretend everything is fine and dandy and that I'm "getting better." They're the pro-life assholes that make the lives of people like us miserable just because we don't think like they do.

meaningisgone

meaningisgone

Student
Feb 17, 2019
Are talking about counselors and therapists and psychiatrists?

L

lost_soul83

Wizard
Jan 7, 2019
Are talking about counselors and therapists and psychiatrists?
I'm speaking of a counselor who I just started seeing and a doctor that has spent a combined total of maybe 30 minutes with me, and no he's not even a psychiatrist!

meaningisgone

meaningisgone

Student
Feb 17, 2019
I'm speaking of a counselor who I just started seeing and a doctor that has spent a combined total of maybe 30 minutes with me, and no he's not even a psychiatrist!

I can't even begin to to tell you how many frustrations I've had with counselors and doctors. There are good ones out there. And I am sure some of the ones that I've been frustrated with were good for other people. But when it comes to people with complex problems pertaining to mental health, it can be so hard to find the right clinical support.

It's so important to be honest and authentic with your counselors and doctors, or else you're defeating the whole point. I've had counselors and doctors I didn't feel comfortable being honest with before, and it was a mess, because they were doing their best to help me but they didn't have all the facts. Doctors and counselors can only work on our problems through the lens of their own training and experiences, and often their training and experiences have not prepared them for the complexity and diversity of our struggles.

My heart is with you, friend. The treatment system will get better with time. It's already a lot better than it used to be (not to long ago, 1930s maybe at the latest, people with depression and bipolar were thought to be possessed by demons and their treatment was akin to waterboarding........ so I guess we've got it pretty good comparatively). If you ever need someone to talk to, please reach out.

A

ArtsyDrawer

Enlightened
Nov 8, 2018
I'm glad to hear people can get out of this hellhole. Gives me hope.

• Love
NextSummer

NextSummer

Experienced
Mar 28, 2019
He was online last friday. Not judging, just wondering why. I hope he is ok.

Reactions: meaningisgone and throwaway123
Alec

Alec

Wizard
Apr 22, 2019
Me too. I feel you so much!

meaningisgone

meaningisgone

Student
Feb 17, 2019
He was online last friday. Not judging, just wondering why. I hope he is ok.
I check into Sanctioned Suicide sometimes to see if there is anything I can do to help. In my own life, I am doing quite well, :]

Reactions: Boonks, throwaway123 and Superfluous
Boonks

Boonks

Lowlife
Mar 2, 2019
This is beautiful. Thank you. ❤️

• Love