• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

crypt

crypt

Life is only relative to your perspective
Feb 9, 2023
Assuming everyone who is reading this thread watches tik tok, has at least has come across one "core core" video. If you do not watch tiktok or have never come across a "core core" video, this is a good example of the format:

The format of expressing the wrongdoings of society by showing an overwhelming amount of video evidence proving a point that is never clearly expressed in the video. The person watching gets the point through the amount of the videos being thrown at the viewer generally accompanied with a "grim" music track. The format reminds me a lot of screaming into the void and be able vent frustration and have nobody hear you to avoid being judged or persecuted. However, these videos generally talk about societal issues and unlike most tiktoks just having a person talk about a certain issue, it plays with the human psyche by overwhelming the viewer with so much evidence that their point does not ever need to be said. I believe nobody understands an issue unless it is actually seen or experienced by the person being told about the issue. I personally have an issue with understanding people's situations and emotions about a certain topic because I've never seen it happen or I've never experienced it. To combat that, I watch a lot of case studies or videos about grim topics which sometimes lead into going in too far and seeing things that should not be seen by most people. However, I have realized that a person does not need to look that far deep to truly understand an issue. This is what the function of "core core" does best. The "core core" video format allows people to truly understand about the topic through the use of videos widely available on the internet. News reports, documentaries, and especially other tiktoks.

When a person watches tiktok, they generally do no stop and think about the implications of society behind that tiktok and that is completely fair. Why should a person stop dead in their tracks to think about one tiktok that have different views as yours? Most people just want to watch tiktoks throughout their day for entertainment and to make themselves happy. Most people does not want to go to an app to make themselves deliberately sad. That is why I essentially love the "core core" video format. The overwhelming evidences of videos, the topics. the play on psychology, it allows people to understand a topic, usually about something that most people can relate to, on a deeper lever with only a minute long video. It makes the viewer think about the topic for a little bit, acknowledge it, and then be able to continue their time watching more tiktoks and have their entertainment again. If the video hit them closer to home, they might remember and be more aware about the issue (possibly thinking about helping as well).

I feel like I blabbered on for a while, so please excuse me if I repeated a couple things too many times. I would just like to hear everyone's thoughts about this and see if anyone shares my views (or not, I'd love to hear everyone's opinions).

(made a couple edits, idk if the tiktok shows, my browser is just weird)

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: codedarchaeologist
articspiral

articspiral

Jan 25, 2023
I am not a regular TikTok user, but from the few videos of this format I've seen, I can understand the appeal. However, I am currently typing this on a suicide forum, so what I have to say about it is probably not the consensus of the general population. I am of the belief TikTok is a detriment unto society, and I can't help but wonder how many more of these edits people must make before the format is conveniently suppressed by the algorithm. Very interesting nonetheless.

• Love
Reactions: crypt
nico_wren

nico_wren

Maggot (they/them)
Feb 14, 2023
I honestly love corecore videos. I agree wholeheartedly with what you said about it making you stop and think. Wheb I'm mindlessly scrolling to just fill the time, when something like that comes up, I always stop dead in my tracks. I have seen many corecore videos, but my favorites are the ones showing first hand accounts and news tapes rather than more opinions of others. I feel that those clips just hit harder. You really don't think about something unless you see it firsthand or it directly impacts you. So, that's why I believe these could be so helpful for people to truly see and understand these kinds of topics.

• Love
bijou

bijou

meow meow meow
Jan 23, 2023
i'm gonna be honest i just despise tiktok generally. it is a vessel to fuel self-hatred served up to you on a silver platter. it wants to keep you enraged, and your self-esteem low, so you keep scrolling into oblivion to make them even more money while wasting even more of your time. even though you may hate the app, you just...can't seem to delete it...you just continue to fulfill the algorithmic cycle of rage-and-repeat that advertising execs, and data-harvesting companies crave.

corecore videos are another cog in this zeitgeist of a cycle.

i know this from personal experience. i was crying every day, comparing myself to videos of people i didn't even know. faces caked with makeup, sporting expensive clothing, and comments sections filled with people fawning over them. i knew how bad it made me feel, but i kept on scrolling as a form of twisted digital self-harm. it was a tool to try and confirm to me every negative thing i thought about myself. i was ordered off of tiktok by my therapist and i have never looked back.
that shit is modern mind control fr...digital-fucking-heroin.

rant over, i apologize in advance

(my "your" and "you" is not directed at you in particular, it's just a general use of the word. i apologize for the pointed tone, i just get really heated about that godforsaken app, my rage is directed there)

crypt

crypt

Life is only relative to your perspective
Feb 9, 2023
i'm gonna be honest i just despise tiktok generally. it is a vessel to fuel self-hatred served up to you on a silver platter. it wants to keep you enraged, and your self-esteem low, so you keep scrolling into oblivion to make them even more money while wasting even more of your time. even though you may hate the app, you just...can't seem to delete it...you just continue to fulfill the algorithmic cycle of rage-and-repeat that advertising execs, and data-harvesting companies crave.

corecore videos are another cog in this zeitgeist of a cycle.

i know this from personal experience. i was crying every day, comparing myself to videos of people i didn't even know. faces caked with makeup, sporting expensive clothing, and comments sections filled with people fawning over them. i knew how bad it made me feel, but i kept on scrolling as a form of twisted digital self-harm. it was a tool to try and confirm to me every negative thing i thought about myself. i was ordered off of tiktok by my therapist and i have never looked back.
that shit is modern mind control fr...digital-fucking-heroin.

rant over, i apologize in advance

(my "your" and "you" is not directed at you in particular, it's just a general use of the word. i apologize for the pointed tone, i just get really heated about that godforsaken app, my rage is directed there)
I understand your point, and don't worry about the intonation of your message. I can take criticism and I love hearing about other people regardless if it agrees with my opinion or not.

I will agree the way the tiktok app itself works and maintains its users is downright predatory as it relies on psychological tactics to make the user essentially addicted to the app. This in turn can cause deep psychological issues as you mentioned.

I was mostly talking about the "corecore" video format as (in my opinion) it breaks the monotony of endlessly scrolling through tiktoks and allows a message to be communicated more effectively with the overwhelming amount of evidence within the video. I may not believe that it is another cog within the complex wormhole of tiktok, but I do agree that overall tiktok is very harmful to society.

• Love
Reactions: bijou
bijou

bijou

meow meow meow
Jan 23, 2023
I understand your point, and don't worry about the intonation of your message. I can take criticism and I love hearing about other people regardless if it agrees with my opinion or not.

I will agree the way the tiktok app itself works and maintains its users is downright predatory as it relies on psychological tactics to make the user essentially addicted to the app. This in turn can cause deep psychological issues as you mentioned.

I was mostly talking about the "corecore" video format as (in my opinion) it breaks the monotony of endlessly scrolling through tiktoks and allows a message to be communicated more effectively with the overwhelming amount of evidence within the video. I may not believe that it is another cog within the complex wormhole of tiktok, but I do agree that overall tiktok is very harmful to society.
im not sure if these videos count, but i recall on my time there a kind of digital form of collage and poetry that was done. it was kind of like this to convey a message, but it just used a different editing format. i liked those videos mostly bc i like the concept of using different ways to create art and writing via. found images and videos. that's just the ex-art student in me tho…

sucks to find the good stuff u often have to wade through heaps of bioactive waste >_<

• Love
Madanascar

Madanascar

Apr 2, 2023
TikTok is sheer cancer but this might just be it's only redeeming quality.