kane

kane

Student
Jun 26, 2020
I think another issue is that much of the time 'white privilege' comes across as some magical leg up, rather than what is should be - the default state of affairs (not being mistreated because of your race.). That's because 'privilege' is typically associated with wealth. So when you tell someone who's struggling that they're privileged, often what they hear is you diminishing what they've been through. That they've had it easy. Which for many people feels insulting. The message given is that they've failed in a system rigged in their favor. Which is misleading. There are numerous other variables which dictate life outcomes. So the prioritization and focus on just one can be deeply alienating. I think maybe that's the inevitable effect of trying to take concepts developed in academia and apply them to the real world.

Privilege is relative. We're all deeply privileged to have the time/energy to waste arguing on the internet. Most of us live in wealthy nations (or are wealthier members of poor nations.) We live in a time that gives us access to technology and resources unimaginable to previous generations. Generations who generally had to hack their living out of the earth, and then give most of it to whoever owned the land. They would look on us in envy. And yet we all suffer. Future generations may well look on us with pity.

I have the privilege to not to be in constant, agonizing pain. I'm often physically uncomfortable, but it's rarely so bad that I can't distract myself from it to some degree. Every now and again I get a reminder that not everyone is so lucky, and I feel briefly thankful that's it's not me, followed by guilt and sadness that someone else is trapped in worse suffering. Then I generally return to the peculiar mental torments that my mind seems intent on inflicting on itself.

We can all stand to be more understanding of what someone else is going through. But demanding someone puts aside their own issues to focus on the particular struggles of another is unlikely to be productive.

Reactions: myopybyproxy, RainAndSadness and ravergirl