• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

LocalAngel

LocalAngel

Lost, wanting out.
Feb 7, 2023
I haven't read it but my understanding of it is basically that, you might not remember, but your body physically does. It can physically store the trauma even if it's deep down in your psyche. Really interesting :)

Please do call me out if i'm wrong on that though, just from what i remember hearing about it.

M

Meteora

Ignorance is bliss
Jun 27, 2023
I haven't read it but my understanding of it is basically that, you might not remember, but your body physically does. It can physically store the trauma even if it's deep down in your psyche.
That is absolutely correct. As I said, I haven't read it but what you say is true, I learned it from diffrent other authors/trauma pioneers.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Kit1 and LocalAngel
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you
Jul 1, 2020
i havent, i just wanted to add that it sucks because for ex you can be uncomfortable with showering and have no idea why (hi, thats me over here lol)

and its not just trauma that the body remembers, i use to have warts between some of my fingers on my left hand but when i started helping my mother in the kitchen (cutting potatoes) they went away, my left hand between my fingers has this weird "memory tingle" now that my right hand doesnt have

• Informative
  • Hugs
Reactions: sserafim and Kit1
K

Kit1

Enlightened
Oct 24, 2023
I have read the book and personally I found it to be a good book and it has helped in some ways. This book was recommended to me by someone who found it helpful for them and in turn I recommended it to a couple of other people after reading it - and both have said that they found it helpful as well.

R

Regen

I stay in my power
Aug 20, 2020
Interesting, thank you for the idea. I learned that maybe most of the very deep problems are the result of trauma also when you think there is no connection. I am at the beginn of my way to explore my traumas. I cant read too much, so I am not sure If I will read the book (but I try), but I will have a look if I will find something in www.

M

Meteora

Ignorance is bliss
Jun 27, 2023
@Regen I have a hard time reading, too. I just read slowly and just the chapters that are interesting for me.
(Are you German speaking?)

• Hugs
Reactions: Kit1
R

Regen

I stay in my power
Aug 20, 2020
@Regen I have a hard time reading, too. I just read slowly and just the chapters that are interesting for me.
(Are you German speaking?)
In the past I read a lot. But since 10 years it is really difficult for me. My brain like the www too much and that destroyed my focus for longer books I think. So I listen very often to speakers on YouTube.

Ich spreche deutsch, ja :-)

• Hugs
Reactions: Meteora and Kit1
lita-lassi

lita-lassi

let me spell it out for you: go to hell
Sep 25, 2023
audiobooks šŸ‘ and its a real good one, very informative

• Hugs
Reactions: Meteora
CuriosityAndCat

CuriosityAndCat

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.
Nov 2, 2023
I've put off reading it. It's on my backlog. Has it helped you guys?

• Hugs
T

thecreepycanadian

Oct 24, 2023
I've been curious about this book. I may purchase it (well, download it on audible with my free trial credit šŸ˜€). It wasn't until last year, age 41, that my mind started unwrapping all the trauma I'd repressed since age 7-9). My life has been utter hell and I just didn't know why I was so broken

BrainShower

BrainShower

Tiny storm
Nov 7, 2023
I have been reading through it, I thought it was helpful. Not a casual read to me, it's pretty dense.

A

Action

Oct 18, 2023

Has anyone read this book? Seems to be a "bible" of trauma and trauma sequelae.
Would be interesting to hear if you liked the book and if it helped you in any way.
I've read it. It very accurately describes the long lasting impact that trauma has on the body, and the physical symptoms that are experienced even long after the traumatic event. It explains how trauma can be attributed to high states of tension and panic attacks (even in safe settings) because the body feels like it still needs to react to a threat. I have PTSD myself and have found this book helpful and validating at times. It doesn't make the past experience any better, but at least it gives more understanding.

M

Meteora

Ignorance is bliss
Jun 27, 2023
I have been reading through it, I thought it was helpful. Not a casual read to me, it's pretty dense.
I can imagine it's not the easiest book to read....

@Action Thank you for sharing this. Validation is important, I think, so we don't have to question our perception. Are there any treatments or exercises mentioned that might help?

whiteclaudia

whiteclaudia

cute + well adjusted
Mar 23, 2024
i'm in the middle of my second read. once to absorb and underline things, and a second to highlight - making a distinction between personally impactful and objectively useful information. i want to make some sort of tldr resource for cptsd recovery using it and pete walker's from surviving to thriving. mostly for friends' sake, so we can all benefit without them having to struggle through the research.

i'd recommend both books, but you'll feel a little raw afterwards. ignorance is bliss and all that.

A

alltoomuch2

Feb 10, 2024

Has anyone read this book? Seems to be a "bible" of trauma and trauma sequelae.
Would be interesting to hear if you liked the book and if it helped you in any way.
I've read it and found it both helpful and extremely interesting. I'd recommend this book. Oh and the mental health professinals seem to like it. They were pleased when I said I'd read it.

• Hugs